Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: A wild cherry tree? (Prunus species?)

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8325944

Solved: Black Cherry - Prunus serotina

I posted these photos in the Florida Forum for I.D., and the initial response is that it may be some sort of wild cherry or other Prunus species.

Can anyone pin it down a bit more specifically or will I need to wait until it flowers/makes fruit?

The leaves are alternate, about 6 - 7 inches long and about 1.5 inches wide. The leaf edges have a very slight, not very sharp serration. The thin trunk and stems are a drab olive-brown with tiny speckling of tan all over. The pink-purplish tint to the leaves is a result of our recent spate of high to mid 20s F temperatures in north Florida, but the leaves held on during the freezes, so it seems to be a very hardy, non-deciduous type shrub. The leaves are normally a dark green color.

I think it is self-seeded (I don't remember planting it but I tend to drop plants in the ground and forget about them until they are staring me in the face sometime later). It could be a native shrub or exotic invasive. It could be a cherry pit I spit out while noshing and wandering in my yard. It is somewhat fast growing, now about 6 ft tall. I think it probably has been growing for only a couple of years, but it was previously shrouded by an overwhelming accumulation of Passiflora 'incense', so it may have been there longer than I am aware of its presence in my garden.

Any assistance with an I.D. will be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

This message was edited Jan 24, 2011 2:28 PM

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8325946

Another photo.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8325947

More close up, but a little fuzzy view.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8325950

And another view where you can see the slight serration on some of the leaf edges.

Jeremy

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8325956

You are also welcome to suggest an I.D. for this sassy gray thing that popped up in an empty pot.

Jeremy

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8326559

the last one is Cattus inpottis...not sure of the the green one although has that "fruit tree" look about it!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8326707

Thanks, tracks. I thought the same thing about the tree (that it looked like a fruit tree, possibly a peach) when I freed it from the snarl of passion vines.

I think you got the genus right on the last photo, but it seems to me to be more of a Cattus impudentus. LOL

Jeremy

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8326788

Felinus trianmovemuis 'Andrawbackastumpus'...
plantsman1
Athens, GA

January 23, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8326805

Prunus serotina Black Cherry
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8327227

Jeremy: My suggestion on the tree would also be Prunus serotina. We have them growing wild here in Daytona Beach. PF has some photo's of the bark, foliage, flowers and berries for comparison.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/p/prun_ser.cfm

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2519/

Love the Cattus impottis ... really adds beauty and character to the garden!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8327767

Thanks, plantsman & plantslady (what a coincidence that the two genders of plants-persons would be responders! LOL) The Black Cherry (Prunus serotina) I.D. certainly seems to be correct from my comparison of the leaves in other photos, especially this one showing the purplish winter color of the leaves: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/175143/

I don't really need such a potentially tall tree in the area where this P. serotina chose to grow, but being forewarned, I can try to keep it pruned to an acceptable level. I look forward to the flowers and fruit. I try to grow as many plants/shrubs/trees as possible as natural sources of food for wildlife, and this tree seems to be great for that purpose.

Interesting about the cyanide in the leaves and how the poison can be accumulated and concentrated in tent caterpillars that eat the leaves. Certainly something to watch out for.

I will mark this thread solved and report back later if the tree surprises me by being something else.

Cattus inpottus will remain forever an enigma! LOL

Jeremy

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8327887

just don't eat any tent cats!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America