Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mosaics and Stained Glass: Garden edges.

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 67, Views: 928
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 23, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8326224

Here is a few edgers I am working on to finish a project I have been working on for a while now. ----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 23, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8326238

This a peek at how they look when they are in placed in front of pots.----------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8326250

Your edgers are absolutely brilliant ! I love them. What is the house shaped piece? Is it a paver or something that you got at a hardware store??
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 23, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8326331

Hi Mableruth Thanksfor your kind comment - they are made of Terracotta - bought at a garden centre - they are Made in Thailand sold in pkts of 10 .
They look good used as is- I like to have a little eye candy thate way the weeds are not noticed. ----elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8326352

Thank you for the tip. It is a good project because it can be done one at at time. I like that. Would you mind if I shared this with someone who is not on DG? I already have edging in all the right places in my yard but I can think of a few places in her yard that could use it! Maybe I could even make some for her birthday.
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8326388

Wow. Those are really nice looking, good idea and use of tiles.. I've not seen the Terra Cotta forms in the CA stores.
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 23, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8326750

Very nice Elaine. I haven't seen any of those terra cotta shapes either, I better start looking around more. Just what I need so you don't see all the weeds. LOL
You do come up with some great ideas, my imagination doesn't work too well.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 24, 2011
12:10 AM

Post #8326989

I have just finished the grouting on 7 the shell with fish one I am going to paint the back ground It is hard to see it is a whale on top of this one .

Mableruth I am honoured thate you enjoyed seeing them enough to show your friend they would make a great birthday gift could be made on a wooden backing but seal the wood first against the weather.

Keepingactive Thanks. After I bought the edgers it was about 6 months before I had the idea to mosaic them . First I was playing with a idea to mosaic the face of bricks in the garden found they were too heavy to lift and move around.

Pegi ideas will come when least expected best to write any thing down thate way you wont forget I have a ideas book most things are impossible to do but some times I have a winner.-------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 24, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8327738

Thank you , thank you , Sammut ! I bought 50 corner , concrete edgers for .25 cents apiece and was going to paint animal forms on them .The artful way you finished yours are super .Now I have to find more colors of tile to mosiac mine and know why I've been saving all those broken pieces. I'll still paint some of them , but yours are so nice .I'm going to price some straight ones to make my edgers larger for the trees. but these are good size for smaller plants, and I can always fill in later . Do I make any sense ?
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 24, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8328213

Hi Digger Was my pleasure its a good feeling when some thing I have done is a inspiration for others .
I understand whate your going to do around the trees -- Most of the edgers are done from left overs from other things I have done . Its good to say all 30 are now finished and all have been glued to on to long planks of wood to stop the dog knocking them down .
Iam slowly doing a guitar from left over peices .--------elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8328365

Fabulous guiter. Is this one that is played by someone?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

January 24, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8328389

I looked for solid color tiles at Lowes this evening . No luck . H D next , or a tile store . See, Now I know how to keep them upright too .
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 24, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8328909

Mableruth This is a old guitar I picked up in a second hand shop this is my 5th.one the others were toys I found after they are tiled they weight a ton{ not true but it felt like it } would be lighter done in glassI dont use glass had a bad cut first time so stay well away from it.

Digger I buy my tiles at a large Hardware store The man puts a side any sheets thate are damaged mostly there are missing a few tiles but I only pay $2 a sheet thate is just under half price and any cracked or chiped feature tiles . Hard to get a good deal from tile shops they want top dollar for damaged ones. Good luck hope you find lots.--------elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 26, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8331713

Ah, now I know your secret for getting tiles at low price. Maybe I should try and talk to that Chinese man with the tile/carpet store again and see if we can understand each other this time. I see a lot of carpet they put in dumpsters, but never any tile. The pieces you've made are so great and the guiter is really coming along nice. I also want to try painting on some garden edges we have here.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

January 28, 2011
12:47 AM

Post #8334478

Hi the guitar is grouted and drying over night will need a polish then finished.
Its been so hot this week I wont be doing any mosaics till the weather cools down. elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 28, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8335159

The guitar is great and just look at how organized her work area is, nothing like any place I ever had.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 4, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8407189

Now our weather has started to cool down I have started another guitar .
I dont work to a patten just put bits here and there then try to bring them all together when I do the back ground...elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 4, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8407558

A little more work done this afternoon ------elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

March 5, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8408636

Has anyone tried ordering tiles online? I just went to this site - Wits end mosaics, and found them to have an amazing collection of tiles - some quite unusual shapes and I think fairly reasonable prices. There is another one that I have dealt with but I can't remember the name. Wits end also have a collection of millifiore as well. Charity shops have heaps of porcelaine, which is also another good way of collecting, and do you have Garage Sales in your area? Also recycling centres usually organised by council?
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

March 5, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8408645

It has been hot and ugly up here in Qld also. Very humid, without a breath of wind, which is very unsual on the coast. I wanted to get back to working on a bird bath mosaic and only get the odd Sunday to do it. However, today we have gale force winds, rain and it is cool. It might be nice to work in that kind of weather! Looking forward to winter! Love your garden edges.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 5, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8408889

Hi Biddy never bought on line get my tiles from a Tile shop and Bunnings I have bought all my guitars at Sal------. Arm--. charity store at Mt. Druitt think you know who I mean dont want to bag them they do a great job but can not under stand their way of thinking the price started at $15 in one month the next was $30 now month later they want $70 Reject shop only $50 for new ones I only do them as decorations for garden or BBQ areas to give as gifts.

Hope the weather calms down for you and its a normal winter .
take care elaine.

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 6, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8411231

Its taken four days to cover the guitar now only has to be grouted ------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 8, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8415090

Here is the 'Three Sisters '----------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 9, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8417669

Glad I dropped in to DG this evening or I would have missed this thread. I don't want to miss any of Elaine's great work!
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8590588

Elaine,
Do you sell them?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 27, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8590820

Maybe I'll get a chance to tile some of my edgers this winter . They are in Tex and I'm in Ga. Won't get back out there 'till Nov . I have to try that .
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 27, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8592011

Still procratinating on doing some mosaic work. I have the material now, but always end up pulling weeds, etc. instead of crafting.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 27, 2011
11:08 PM

Post #8592107

Went out this morning picked up a few pots and things to start next week we are close to our winter so time to get into doing more .I also got a Chinese Emperor statue When I ever get time I will high light the robe with gold and red paint
Pegi I know about them dash weeds I have trained my self not to see them . only notice them when they hide every thing else.
Digger Time seems to go so fast wont be long before your back home .
-------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 27, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8592109

Here is the Chinese Emperor.----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 28, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8592337

You have a lot to keep you busy . I love the frog , I love all frogs . I even married three of them . LOL
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 28, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8592689

Elaine, you are really getting your stash together. Mine is scattered around so guess I better get it all together and start crafting. Love that Chinese emperior, looking forward to seeimg him after you "pretty" him up. Have a big fat frog my son bought me a year ago, just can't make up my mind where to put him. I hesitate in putting anything in front, don't want them to be among the missing.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 28, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8593069

I had my studio door forced open Thursday night or early Friday morning nothing taken no mess just cupboard doors were open so I am lucky again now I have put a bolt and padlock on the door and new lock the windows have wire grill and bolts .

Digger I see a patten there you have to kiss the frog if he does not turn into a prince then and there turn and run . Better luck next time LOL.

Come on Pegi time to move and start on your pavers .-----------elaine.

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 28, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8593278

Sorry to hear someone broke into your studio, I guess they weren't looking for craft supplies. It really is a shame we have to keep everything locked up.

OK, I'll try to get started on my pavers...Pegi
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 28, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8593314

Sammut that's backwards . I kissed a few princes and they turned into frogs . The fourth one is still a prince . If he turns into a frog after 20 years , (this December), I'll just keep him .
Glad they didn't mess with your craft supplies , what a mess they could have made .
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 28, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8593837

Pegi I've been shopping again found a pair of owls for the garden.

Digger After 20years together he must be a special guy .-----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 29, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8594125

I used to have a collection of owls, think I saved a few special ones so should look them up for the garden. They are supposed to give you good luck, but with all I owned it just didn't work for me.

I'm going to have to pot up some of the many baby spider plants I have. My large mother plant is overflowing with them. Going to have to make another trip to Lowe's for more potting soil.

One of those nights I couldn't sleep so time to play on computer until I get sleepy again.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 29, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8594145

Sammut, to put up with me this long takes a few toddies .LOL
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8594346

soooo cute!
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 30, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8598400

Its been raining for 2days now so not much I can do started the Emperor's robe with the damp air it will take days to dry its going to be a slow project.

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 30, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8598404

This is the back.----elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 30, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8598454

That is such a pretty color. What is the emperor made of and what kind of paints are you using? Going to be a fantastic piece.

Nothing at the thrift store today worth mentioning and it was a 30% off day too. Even the dumpsters weren't inviting. Saw an old, old radio stand maybe from the 30's and I fell in love with it. There wasn't any radio in it but it would have made a beautiful piece. It was just sitting out in back and DH wouldn't stop to get it, said he didn't like it. I just can't believe he passed it up. I didn't care if it didn't have insides. So now I'm pouting a little, but I need to think of my pavers first.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 31, 2011
12:50 AM

Post #8598510

Dont know whate he is made of there is like a plastic covering over some other material but very heavey it took 2 men to lift him up to the bench he was packed in a wooden box.imported from China.
the paint I used was left over from the studio cupboards the apron part I will use craft paint the gold trim will use the gold ink and have a small pot of a pale biege I hope to use for the face and hands .

It makes you mad when your the only one thate sees beauty in a old piece .
Yes Pavers first we just have to get you started .-----elaine.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 31, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8599763

A little more painted this morning -----elaine

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 31, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8600597

Looking good!! Going to be a great addition to your garden.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 31, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8600636

Will be finished To morrow.---elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 1, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8602211

Pegi Pleased to say he is finished it was slow going because of the wet weather.
How is the paver going.------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8602945

you have such a wonderful natural talent with all that you have created. Just beautiful.

Jan
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 1, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8602946

You really did a good job and he will really stand out in your garden. Not doing anything with paver yet, had to take my schnauzer to the vet, she loves to eat those darn fox tails, don't know why. I try and clean up everything she can get into, but she manages to find them. Will pick her up tomorrow evening, I have a physical therapy appointment at noon then want to go to Home Depot and hoping the Dollar Tree store. I do want to make glass totems and have all the material for those too. Time sure is getting away from me.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 3, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8607439

Thanks Jan for kind comment.
Been a bit sick the last 2 days when we moved him into the garden the sealer was not really dry
so had a few problums breathing I know my fault not putting the mask back on.----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 4, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8608792

Emperor looks great in your garden area. Wanted to get a lot done today, but as usual I try to do too many things at one time then nothing gets accomplished. I'm dragging out my things for the pavers, that means I'm getting close to starting.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8609198

Elaine

I know it is a pain to wear a mask, but please, do take the time to wear it, sure wouldn't want to hear of you getting sick.

3 years ago I developed sinus disease and if I want to garden I have to wear a mask, it takes some of the fun out of gardening, but I'm learning that I need to wear it so I don't pay with being down sick from not having it on.

Jan
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 4, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8609220

Yes , what Meadow said , Please .
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 5, 2011
12:41 AM

Post #8609794

Hi to all --Thanks for the concern I have a few things wrong with me one of the main is Emphysema it has just slowed me down a little Iam 72 years young and always have a few projects going at the same time my son and grandson do all the lifting but I had to slip the plate under not thinking a second is all I needed to inhale fumes. l'm Ok now. -----elaine.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 5, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8609895

Sammut , suprise ! From all your posts , I had you pictured as a youngster in your 20's . We're the same age and you just suprise me at the news . Just be more careful , and when you do get old , I'll have a lot more projects I've learned from you .

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8610009

Elaine

glad to hear you are doing ok.

Jan
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 5, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8611553

This morning I finished a pot it was so - so just needed more so this is my new idea I have some little plastic farm animals I shaved the back to make flat then glued on the pot and grouted around now my pots will stand out .
------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8612087

pretty cool idea you have there.

Jan
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8618444

That works great and looks so good☺
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 8, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8618649

Thanks -- we are having a very cold spell so not much being done . Here is the smallest mosaic job the studio clock .-------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 8, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8619328

Hi Elaine, love your studio clock. I'm not a Simpson fan, but I think it is so cute.
Why I can't get going I don't know. I had one of those days that I just didn't get anything done, well forced myself to go out and water my garden.

Everyone is having a heat wave, but California seems to be in a cool mode. When everyone else is cooling off we will probably get our heat, not looking forward to that.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2011
2:59 AM

Post #8619387

Really love all of your garden art. My DH and DSon would love to find a clock like that!

We are still in "cool mode" here in Korea, too. It is only getting into the upper 70's every day. Whatever weirdness the global warming is bringing to us this year, a long and cool spring is unexpected and welcome☺
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 9, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8619779

Korea and California seem to be in the same "cool mode". And the long cool spring is very welcomed.

Once in a while I see some nice clocks at the thrift store, but I never thought of doing mosaic on them. I guess I'll be paying more attention to them.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 13, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8628232

Hi Sorry I have not been back Iam having puter problums this is the first time in days things are back to near normal.
My clock fell so it was a fix up the frame and glass was damaged but it is the only one I have ever seen thate goes in reverse so did not wont to scrape it.
Peggi I am having the same sat about a hour this morning just looking at a pot nothing happened may be next time I go down it might get started .-------elaine.

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 13, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8628983

I don't blame you for not wanting to scrap that clock, looks good with mosaic on it.

Saw a few clocks at the thrift store today, but I just didn't feel I liked them well enough to buy. They had nothing that interested me, what a surprise! The dumpster in back was empty (the trash men beat us), but when we came out I found a couple of small wooden boxes that I could use.

Busy getting together the Red,White & Blue things for our swap. Mailing deadline is the 15th of this month and I haven't gotten a box to put the things in. I think I might need a few extra hours in this week.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 16, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8634796

Things are happening at last first time I tryed little pepples on the pot with shells .----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 16, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8635183

I've got a lot of tiny stones and bigger ones too and I thought about using them like you did Elaine. As I was looking through some of my pots I discovered a couple nice big terra cotta ones and I'll put them aside for doing mosaic.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2011
10:40 PM

Post #8635513

It reminds me of a pebble beach☺
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

June 29, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9187082

sammut wrote: I have just finished the grouting on 7 the shell with fish one I am going to paint the back ground It is hard to see it is a whale on top of this one .

Mableruth I am honoured thate you enjoyed seeing them enough to show your friend they would make a great birthday gift could be made on a wooden backing but seal the wood first against the weather.

Keepingactive Thanks. After I bought the edgers it was about 6 months before I had the idea to mosaic them . First I was playing with a idea to mosaic the face of bricks in the garden found they were too heavy to lift and move around.

Pegi ideas will come when least expected best to write any thing down thate way you wont forget I have a ideas book most things are impossible to do but some times I have a winner.-------elaine.

Sammut, love your garden edges, not sure if I replied before. Like your note about writing it all down too. Cause you get made when you forget what you wanted to do and it seemed so clear on the day! I had thought of the brick or even large rocks - there is one idea to do half a dozen rocks, but put different sections of a snake on them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America