Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: 3 cut blocks - Part 2

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 121, Views: 981
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8326577

We came from here...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1143469

Continuing the thread...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8326586

The instructions are on the 1st thread.
Start with 2- 8" blocks for a completed 9" block

To make a 12" block, start with 2 -10 3/4" blocks. Cut the sides either 2 1/2" or 3". Either will work.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8326592

Pat - I did an all over meander on a 64 X 72" quilt in 45 min. Then took almost 3 hours to do a Ginko Leaf pano an a 48 X 80. The 2nd had over twice as many stitches as the 1st. And following a pattern always takes longer.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8326653

Oh WOW... how I wish I could afford AND had room for a longarm!! *sigh* it ain't happenin'... I could lie to myself and say that I could NOT convert the room we have into a rentable studio and try to make the difference up in quilting fees but let's be honest, I can't keep up with my paying job now. Can you see me trying to take on more??

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8326661

for Barb, and LK...and anyone else interested how to download Quilters World

Go to QW log in

click on Issues Archives

click on "download" below the picture of the issue you want to download..

a window should open asking what you want to do with the file open save

I clock on open, then click on "ok" button at bottom of window.

on my computer another window opens, which is the "download" window, it shows a little bar inside that gets filled in as download goes...

then another window pops open when the download finishes...containing the file (magazine)

you can now scroll through the pages to view your magazine...

to save it onto your computer you will need to click on the "file" button..on my computer it is at the top left...another window will open, I select "save a copy"
yet another window opens, wanting to know where I want to save. I save to "my documents" then click "save" button at bottom of the window..

when you want to view again you go to your document file on your computer , find the issue you want and open it...

If you want to print something when you are looking through the magazine,
click on the file button (at the top) a window will open,
select "print"...another window opens, choose what you want to print (you can do the whole mag if you want) I use the "current view" button that will print the page you were just looking at...
I set my page setting / scaling at "fit to printable area" unless you are printing a page that has a pattern piece that you need to print to accurate size, like for an appliqué or foundation for paper piecing...then you need to set to "none" or "zero"
click the "ok" button at the bottom of the window.
page should print...windows should disappear...going back to magazine page you were on...
scroll to next page and repeat as needed to print the pages you want...

much easier than it sounds...once you do it a few times it will be "no problem"

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8326684

I suggest that anyone who wants to do this, print out the directions and keep in a safe place. I know I don't remember from time to time unless it's a process I do often.
Thanks Thunder.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8326690

another way is log into QW click on "current issue" click on "Flip_E_Zine..."

a window will open with the file of the magazine, under the pages there should be a tool bar...

scroll your mouse over the tool bar, one of the icons is for print, when you click on it a window will open showing "thumbnails" of multiple pages of the magazine, find the ones you want to print, "check" the boxes for the pages you want...scroll up to the top of the page, it should have the words "Generate PDF and Print" click on that and your print window should open, set your page scaling as needed, click the "ok" button pages should print.

there are multiple pages of thumbnails, you can only print from one of them at a time, but you can select multiple magazine pages from one thumbnail page...you will see what I mean when you look at them...

Hope you get it

let me know if it works, an / or I can help further!!!..

I keep the magazines on my computer in my document files for awhile, then I move them onto one of those memory sticks...saves computer space.

I am working on moving most of my pictures over to those sticks too, I am going to keep some on each computer, but store most of them on the sticks...we were putting our photos onto cd's for "back up" but a computer person we know suggested the sticks are much better...cd's can scratch, and warp...the sticks last longer...I sure hope so...we lost a bunch of photo's at one point when we had a "crash" don't want that to happen again!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8326694

you are very welcome...:-)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8326810

LOL I just keep switching photos to the newest storage system. Had them on floppys, went to cd's, now going to sticks. I try to keep them in catagories too. By family, by event, and have others yet for old family photos that I have restored. I even scared a phone tech one time. I told him that if what he was telling me to do lost my photos, I would hunt him down.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8327144

Thanks so much for the info! I had no idea there were so many back issues I could get to!

Does anyone know anything about external hard drives! I have had this one for a few years and I usually back up all photo's every month or so, but lately it tells me it is write protected, and won't let me save anything? How to I remove the write protection?
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 24, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8327180

Sorry LK I am no help to you on this one.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8327245

I can't help you either but I'll tell Norm about it when he gets home - maybe he will know.
Thank yo so much Thunder for taking the time to print out those instructions. I'm going to print the page and keep it my my computer. Like you said, after I do it a few times, I'll be okay...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8327349

You should have a log on to that ext hard drive and most likely need to update the config file.
Or it could be read only if it's full, but that should give a different msg, not "write Protected".
Have you checked to see how much space is left????

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8327382

What are you trying to upload onto it? If it's from a specific website, it may be copywrite protected and blocked from being copied onto your computer.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8327622

I have 75% free space, and it is my own personal photos I am trying to transfer from my computer to the external hard drive. I have never had to log in to use it, and have no idea how to change the write protection.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8327756

Can you update files that are currently on the Ex drive?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8327873

I don't know how to do that?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8328150

LK this is what Norm said to do.

Go to the computer section on your main menu. Right click on the external drive. Click on properties.
Look for a check against "read only" and then uncheck it. Hopefully that will work.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8328311

Thanks, I will give that a try?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8328448

I had to come home "early" today (LOL, that means I got to leave on TIME!) We were having computer issues and the guru needed to do some maintance on the system. WORKS for me! I got to go home and not feel guilty that I have unfinished work.

I think this 3 cut block would make a great swap sometime closer to spring. If I organize it, it wil be 12 inch. That's the only size of block I have worked with so far and don't want a bunch of different sizes.

Yippee... off to play at making more blocks for the 2011 block swap. AND it looks like I won't have to travel to Seattle this week to testify! ALL kinds of time saving news today.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8329064

Congrats Pat. That's terrific. I love "found" time!!!!!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8331182

I just made a 12.5" block, using the same colors as I did before. It turned out great! If you organize a swap for this block in the spring, Pat, I'm in!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8331206

Any chance of a picture Nichole?
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8331411

Qwilter wrote:Pat - I did an all over meander on a 64 X 72" quilt in 45 min. Then took almost 3 hours to do a Ginko Leaf pano an a 48 X 80. The 2nd had over twice as many stitches as the 1st. And following a pattern always takes longer.

yep, the panto I tried was not fun, or as much fun as all over quilting. I found myself hating it about halfway through the quilt but I persevered and got through it. I'm going to stick to my "drunken bees" style of meander as that one I can do well and quickly and it looks pretty.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8331449

Here you go, Barb . . . I took a pic of both of the blocks I've done next to each other. I used the same material on both.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8331463

Nichole, those are beautiful!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8331501

Thanks, LK. I told my son last night that I would make him a blanket for his bed (we have lots of girl blankets, not many boyish ones). He got all perky, and said Great! Lets go in your room! (that's where I have the sewing machine). I'm thinking of using this pattern, in different shades of blue . . . but I will take him with me to pick out material, so he will feel even more that it's "his" quilt . . .

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8331572

Can't wait to see what fabrics he has picked out!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 26, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8331622

Wow look at the colors. I agree can not wait to see what colors your son chooses. My son loves orange.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8332843

I like the 12" one as well as the 9" one. I'm picturing a quilt made with both sizes and mixed in with a solid block or two to even things out. Very nice Nichole.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 27, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8332847

Barb how would you mix the 2 different size block together? I am not able to picture that in my mind.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8332861

Let me see if I can find a picture of what I mean and I'll send it.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 27, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8332885

OK. I have already made the 9 inch and was going to try the 12. If I can put the 2 together that would be great.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8332948

I was thinking making 6" blocks then those could alternate with the 12" 4 to 1.
If mixing 9 with 12, you could add a strip to 2 adjoining sides of the 9" block. Staggering those up the quilt would then give a stair step effect. Sort of like a log cabin when you just add the strips to 2 sides.

Oh the possibilities...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8333058

Thanks for the help Jean - my mind is whirling for some reason today. I could "see" what I mean and just can't seem to put it in words. That is about what I envisioned...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8333072

There were some pictures over on one of the Christmas swap threads demonstrating mixing the 9 inch & 12 blocks (different years made different sizes),

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8333094

Make a frame around the 9''...something like these...

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8333108

to make a quilt something like this..(not mine)

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8333110

just make frames, and / or fill in spaces as needed...lots of fun!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8333140

That's exactly what I saw in my mind!!! Thanks Thunder...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8333158

In the book that has the pattern. There is a beautiful one made with batiks, but she has made smaller ones for the border. They are just down both sides, not the top, frames it nicely. Youd could do that with the smaller blocks.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8333166

here is the picture from the book. sorry about the shadow, just took it laying here by the window. You get the idea.

Thumbnail by gardenglory

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8336675

If anyone has a fax machine, ill fax you the tru-up guide from the book.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8336704

Without measuring any of the pieces as I trimmed, all blocks ended up 9" sq.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8336787

I posted my last 2 comments on the old page so need to copy them over here...

Lesson learned... this will make more sense if you have made a few of these all from the same fabric.

Always start with all the 4 patch centers "in the same position". So fabric A in upper left & lower right.
Then add the side pieces. (Section B)
Make the triangle pieces (secition C & C1).

Then, place those B pieces all lined up the same (fabric A upper left & bottom right).

Then add the C to the "top" of all; then come back and add C1 to the bottom.

Otherwise, somewhere along the line you will turn a couple of the 4 patches that will become the "B" pieces. Then, when you go to add the C not all will "fit" on the top. And then you start scratching your head trying to figure out just what went wrong.

If this doesn't make sense, you have been luckier then me or have made them scrappy, and then you just work by matching fabric.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8336788

I made a "squaring" thread and will put that link also on the tips & techniques page:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152142/

Also, when you go to "square" these up. you need to make sure that the "X" that is formed through the center, stays at 45 deg as the uneven outer edges are trimmed. I've been using my 8 1/2 X 12 1/2" ruler and lining up the 45 degrees only for the 1st cut. Then, as I rurn the block to trim the other 3 sides, I line up with the straight edge & 45 deg mark.
You will know you've done it correctly when the points at the 4 corners are exact (no extra of 1 fabric to prevent a perfect point when pieces are joined).

Time spent to trim exactly will pay off in the end result.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8336822

I have over 20 of these blocks. Now need to figure out how I'm going to join them.

But 1st, I need to get a top quilted.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8336848

Jean, that fabric is soooooo rich and beautiful! I need to find some of that beige, I probably have seen it and discarded it as a possibility thinking the print was too big!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8337196

The beige is a 108" backing fabric. Ended up with some nice pieces after backing 2 Queen size quilts.
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

January 30, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8339031

Qwilter, I love your choice of fabrics for your block. Thanks for sharing. I am working on this quilt, too. I have 72 blocks (8 1/2" each, not 9") made so far and laid out on the bed. I have taken my camera to my quilting room to take pictures but just have not done it yet. I will and will post pictures.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8339243

Looking forward to seeing them Casshigh...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8339367

Wow Doris, youve been busy too. I just cant wait to see them!
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

January 30, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8339618

I really like this block. It is so quick and easy. I already have the cloth for another quilt. When I finally take the picture, I'll take a picture of the next quilt to be made from this block.

Pam, it has been too cold and too wet to get outside except for yesterday and today. I feel as if I have to hurry and get this quilt top finished because once the weather gets better, I will be outside as much as I can and there will be no quilting time. There is so much to do to get the daylily beds and everything else ready for spring.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8340061

I was actually thinking about you yesterday. Thinking I was glad Im not you ;-O.
I got out for the first time too and it was so overwhelming. All I could think about was that if I had a tour coming, I would be having a nervous breakdown. Of course, you live in a post card and I live on a weed pile lololol.
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

January 31, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8340080

Pam, I spent Saturday afternoon spraying Roundup on winter weeds in non-daylily areas. We had two really nice days this weekend. The Roundup takes longer to act in the winter, but it will still kill. I hope this will help with the number of weeds next winter and with cleanup this spring. We are back to rain and cold this week. Right now I try not to think about all the work to be done. I am enjoying my quiet time inside quilting. Hope you have a good day!
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

February 6, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8358245

Here is my 3 Cut Block quilt. It has 80 8 1/2" squares, 8 blocks wide and 10 rows long. Here the blocks have been laid out on the bed. Since then I have 5 of the rows sewn together and will finish sewing all the rows together tomorrow morning. Then I plan to start cutting the fabric for the next 3 Cut Block quilt. I will later put the batting, backing, and quilt top together and put it on my quilt frame for hand quilting as time permits.

Doris

Thumbnail by Casshigh

Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

February 6, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8358257

Here is the fabric for the next 3 Cut Block quilt. I don't think I have ever made two quilts by the same pattern, simply because there are too many different quilts I want to make and not enough time. However, I really like this block. It is so easy and quick. I also like it because the scrappy look appeals to me.

The fabrics that I have chosen are the colors in this gift bag given to me by my daughter. She gave me some fat quarters and other quilting tools for my birthday in early January. I commented that I really liked those colors together. A few days later I was in our Walmart and happened to go down the aisle where the fat quarters and other quilting materials are. They had all the colors I needed except the brown with the green. I found some acceptable brown with green fabric at Joann's a few weeks later. If the weather stays cold and wet, maybe I will be able to finish making all the squares for this quilt before I have to spend my spare time outside getting the flower beds presentable.

Thumbnail by Casshigh

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8358269

Very nice quilt !!! :-)
and the new fabrics look great !!! I do nor dare to try this block...I have too much I got to finish !!!!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

February 7, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8358419

Doris I too tried this block and it is easy and fun. Just love all the colors.What is the length of your floor frame? I cut my rods down to fit twin bed and now I am sorry that I did.I should have left them long. Laura
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

February 7, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8358549

The rods are 8 ft. long. My quilt frame is adjustable. I can put a queen size or baby quilt on it. The ends can be moved in or out. Also, there are three holes for the rods, so I can have them either 24" apart or about 13" apart. I have them 13" apart and work from both sides, just moving my chair to the side I am working on. It is a homemade job made by a man who did some quilting. I found it advertized maybe 10 years ago. I can post a picture if anyone is interested in seeing the design.

Doris
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8358560

YES...please.

Great quilt and blocks. Make sure you post the DL forum!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8358733

I was contemplating adding sashing to mine, but after looking at this one, perhaps I don't need to.
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

February 7, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8358926

Qwilter, I have been in a dilemma about the same thing. I had originally planned to add a 9th block to the end of the rows. Then I decided that 8 blocks would be enough. Then I thought about adding sashing to make it wider, but I just don't know that it would look right. After I finish sewing the rows together and pressing the seams of the rows, I am going to look at it again. I have 7 extra blocks made and could add a side row without much trouble. But then again, the perfect sashing cloth might look good. The quilt on our bed now is about the same width, and it is OK for us.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8359555

Very nice job! Love the colors!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8359700

Beautiful job. Very pretty blocks...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8371084

I got mine put together yesterday. No sashing. And the border is scraps of the same fabrics from the blocks.
I'll get a pic after the binding is on.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8371378

Can't wait to see it!
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

February 14, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8371592

I am looking forward to seeing yours. I finally decided to add a 9th block to each row and am glad I did. It is a good width now. I had thought of making the binding from the different fabrics used. I have already started making the blocks for the second quilt. I'll post pictures in a few days of some of those blocks, but we are having nice weather days this week and outside is where I need to be. I hope to do more piecing at night.

Doris
mornin_gayle
Bloomingdale, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8404812

Where are those pictures ladies??

I'm having quilter's envy over here LOL I probably won't be quilting until next fall so I need my fix thru you!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8405969

Well, pics are on the camera but the camera is rarely co-located with the computer...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8410520

OK, heres the pic.
I used scraps for the border & binding.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8410645

Qwilter that is absolutely lovely!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

March 6, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8410685

Those are beautiful ladies great color choices
Cher
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

March 6, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8410721

Jean that turned out great. Love the colors.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8411006

It is BEAUTIFUL Jean, you have a great eye for color combinations.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8411477

I agree. That is very pretty!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011

Post #8411512

I love the colors Jean. What a great combination. What size did it finish out to be?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8411576

I think it was @54" once the border was on.
I want to do one in RWB for a QOV from all my R&B scraps.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8411637

That's a wonderful idea. That's a great way to use up fabrics...
mornin_gayle
Bloomingdale, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8411971

OooooooO Quilter! That is fabulous! I love those colors, and I like the scraps even more!

so pretty
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8411982

I love it when I can make an entire quilt top & not have to purchase any fabric. Even the backing was a piece left from another project.
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

March 7, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8412132

Qwilter, I love your quilt. You have finished it! Super! I like how you did your border using leftover fabrics. That makes it even more scrappy. I will have to consider that with mine. I have started making the blocks for the second quilt by this pattern. Now that the weather has improved, my free time has to be spent outside getting the flower beds ready. I will try to post pictures of what each block looks like.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8440031

I'm sure it was mentioned but I just can't take the time to reread this thread, could anyone help me with the dimensions to make this block 12 !/2"? Thanks.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8440065

Mittsy, I had this information I had copied to my quilting files--is this the one you might be looking for? Jean had posted this but I failed to get the date.

drum Roll here...

My original guess (equation) turns out to be correct. If you start with 10 3/4" blocks and then leave 2 1/2" for the corners you will end up with a block to trim down to 12 1/2" raw. (I actually used 3" but think that is too wide & the corner triangles too small)
If you tend to be "over scant" with your seams you can start with 11" blocks - still 2 1/2" for the corners

The true BEAUTY of this method is you can start with any size blocks and then the corners/strip width you cut off can also be varied. So, with the original (above) if you'd like larger corner triangles & narrower strips, you can use 1 1/2". Because of the way it's cut, any measurements will work.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8440212

Marion, Thank you so much, you are a treasure. Saved me so much searching time!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8440428

I assume that was what you were looking for then. If I don't cut/paste into my quilting file I lose all kinds of information I really want to keep. Just me and my brain that seems to be in non functioning capacity lately.

Have been enjoying seeing your baby quilts that have been being posted as well as the placemats!! Great job.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8440433

Just now posting more baby quilts.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8440706

Hello Marion, hope your getting rested? Are you still home, or back down with your Mom and Sister?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8440773

I am currently at home but packing to go back down either in the morning or Wednesday.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011

Post #8444581

Marion, your measurements worked beautifully. Made three nice blocks with winter fabric. Love my new 12 1/2" square up ruler, just line up the diagonals and slice off the extra, so easy. Love good tools!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8444591

Mittsy - now you need the 2 1/2, 4 1/2, 6 1/2 square up rulers. All work wonderfully for squaring up the parts of a 4 or 9 patch before sewing the pieces together.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8444955

Mittsy, Jean posted those measurements, I just happened to copy them to another file to keep for quick reference. All the credit is Jeans.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8445726

Thank you Jean.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8447388

jean, your quilt is just sooo COOL looking - would work here nicely with my colors. Through out the whole quilt did you use the same white? along with the scraps.
I am thinking in my head along these lines.
What happens if one would use only same 3 colors???? Not scraps?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8447698

Yes, all the bg is the same fabric.
I think this block/quilt would even look good with 2 fabrics.

I found it a great use for the "larger" scraps.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8452260

Beautiful quilt! It is something how much different quilts can look when made with different fabrics.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

September 7, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8797822

For a limited time, Quiltmaker is making this pattern available as a free download in pdf format:
http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/details.html?idx=12909&utm_source=QUMK_0

It's called Anita's Arrowhead.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8797884

Thanks Elizabeth. It's great to get all the instructions in one place!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8797925

Thanks for the link!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8797993

Thank you, I lost the instructions when my computer crashed, now I'll save it to a flash drive.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8798521

I did it, I did it!! I'm so PLEASED with this block, I don't know what took me so long to get around to trying it!!! OH MY>> I LIKE IT!!

I printed the free copy off the site, it also had instructions for 12 inch block that I used. They suggested 10.1/2 inch blocks with 2 3/4 blocks.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

September 8, 2011
2:59 AM

Post #8798682

Thank you for the link. I printed the directions and will give to my friend who is trying to learn quilting.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9148083

Thanks for the "re-link"
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9148936

Confused me for a minute! That isn't hard to do these day though.

Jean, I am embarrassed to say I have been in this house 6 years and I still have boxes to deal with and remodeling issues. I plan to sort some of the items in the boxes out during the next 2 weeks PLUS a sewing binge. I still have trouble disposing of some of my late husband's things which is why I still have boxes. It has been a long slow issue for me but I am making progress.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9149480

nothing at all wrong with taking your time on that, Marion. too many people get rid of everything real fast, then regret it...you just take your time.

My Momma still has stuff of my step Dad's, and he has been gone more than 25 years, some I know she will never get rid of.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9150571

I got all of my late brother's jeans and made my very first rag quilt out of them for my Sister in law. It turned out beautiful and she cherishs it, that was almost 3 years ago now. My sweet Aunt just lost her husband of 60 years and is having a hard time parting with his clothes. I wish I KNEW I could get a quilt FINISHED for her. I am thinking a quilt from some of his shirts would be an appreciated gift.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9150695

Pat and Thunder, Ross' clothes which mostly consist of dress pants and shirts I did dispose of shortly after his death. My BIL took them to a VA facility in Orlando where he worked. They were training vets to reenter the work force and many needed appropriate clothes. I have a big box of t shirts and ties which I have great plans of making a quilt but alas slow on opening that box. That is the hard box for me and I haven't a clue why.

Working on a baby quilt today for my DIL's sister. Pat, you are in my thoughts constantly as it is pink and black. Hot pink at that. So far so good...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9150767

Ohhhhhhhh black & pink, hot pink at that!! you truly have my number!!! hehehe

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9150794

Pat, I was just reading an article last week where someone made a quilt out of her father's shirts. She cut them into pieces, then arranged them patchwork style. The parts that had pockets, she made into a focus block, said her dad wouldn't wear a shirt without pockets and she couldn't bear to remove them or not use them in the quilt. If I remember correctly, he wore alot of plaids and the finished quilt had alternating pocket blocks and like 4 or 9 patches. It was a very homey, comfy looking quilt.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9150824

I doubt my Uncle ever wore a plaid shirt in his life! LOL... golf shirts yes. MANY different beautiful sweaters...

If he had worn flannel plaid shirts I would have instantly thought of and volunteered for a quilt but Don was not like that and I think it would have been hard to find enough variety in his shirts.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9178231

I'll read back and see if this was brought up before . . . but have we considered doing a swap/rr of 3 cut blocks? We could have 2 different ones going, one for the 12.5" and the other for the 9"
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9178272

Don't think it has been discussed. I keep the BG fabric constant when I do mine so that could not be done in a swap.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9178924

BG?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9178929

B=Back G=Ground
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9178934

Hi Mittsy, how are things your way? Lucky you missing all this nasty rain and wind!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9178937

AWwwwwww... thanks! So you have a bunch of 3cut blocks you are working on yourself and you are varying ONLY the contrast color. It COULD be done if you wanted to complete your blocks and send them with the cut proper size BG so that everyone used the right fabric for you (to save postage).. That's one way. OR simply get blocks for a DIFFERENT quilt, rather than the one you have already going.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9178938

A bunch of 3 cut in pink and blue / or yellow and green baby prints might combine to a nice Neo-natal blanket.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9179431

Every day is it's own new challenge. Prayer is my answer and I thank everyone for theirs. I'm enjoying each new bloom in my gardens. This Daisy, Crazy Lady, describes my life right now, crazy, but still beautiful.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9179568

Sending love your way Mittsy. Missed seeing you here this year. Maybe next?? I'm keeping you and Mom in my prayers.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9179834

Mittsy, I too have some of my daisys in bloom. They bring me such joy!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9180005

Prayers daily Mittsy!! Love the daisy pictures..unfortunately I don't have enough area with sun to grow them.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

June 25, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9181133

Thinking of you Mittsy. Miss you loads.
Cher

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America