Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

3 cut blocks - Part 2

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here.....http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1143469

Continuing the thread..................

The instructions are on the 1st thread.
Start with 2- 8" blocks for a completed 9" block

To make a 12" block, start with 2 -10 3/4" blocks. Cut the sides either 2 1/2" or 3". Either will work.

Pat - I did an all over meander on a 64 X 72" quilt in 45 min. Then took almost 3 hours to do a Ginko Leaf pano an a 48 X 80. The 2nd had over twice as many stitches as the 1st. And following a pattern always takes longer.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Oh WOW... how I wish I could afford AND had room for a longarm!! *sigh* it ain't happenin'.... I could lie to myself and say that I could NOT convert the room we have into a rentable studio and try to make the difference up in quilting fees but let's be honest, I can't keep up with my paying job now. Can you see me trying to take on more??

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

for Barb, and LK...and anyone else interested how to download Quilters World

Go to QW log in

click on Issues Archives

click on "download" below the picture of the issue you want to download..

a window should open asking what you want to do with the file open save

I clock on open, then click on "ok" button at bottom of window.

on my computer another window opens, which is the "download" window, it shows a little bar inside that gets filled in as download goes....

then another window pops open when the download finishes...containing the file (magazine)

you can now scroll through the pages to view your magazine...

to save it onto your computer you will need to click on the "file" button..on my computer it is at the top left........another window will open, I select "save a copy"
yet another window opens, wanting to know where I want to save. I save to "my documents" then click "save" button at bottom of the window..

when you want to view again you go to your document file on your computer , find the issue you want and open it...

If you want to print something when you are looking through the magazine,
click on the file button (at the top) a window will open,
select "print".....another window opens, choose what you want to print (you can do the whole mag if you want) I use the "current view" button that will print the page you were just looking at....
I set my page setting / scaling at "fit to printable area" unless you are printing a page that has a pattern piece that you need to print to accurate size, like for an appliqué or foundation for paper piecing....then you need to set to "none" or "zero"
click the "ok" button at the bottom of the window.
page should print.....windows should disappear...going back to magazine page you were on....
scroll to next page and repeat as needed to print the pages you want...

much easier than it sounds....once you do it a few times it will be "no problem"

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I suggest that anyone who wants to do this, print out the directions and keep in a safe place. I know I don't remember from time to time unless it's a process I do often.
Thanks Thunder.

another way is log into QW click on "current issue" click on "Flip_E_Zine......"

a window will open with the file of the magazine, under the pages there should be a tool bar.....

scroll your mouse over the tool bar, one of the icons is for print, when you click on it a window will open showing "thumbnails" of multiple pages of the magazine, find the ones you want to print, "check" the boxes for the pages you want......scroll up to the top of the page, it should have the words "Generate PDF and Print" click on that and your print window should open, set your page scaling as needed, click the "ok" button pages should print.

there are multiple pages of thumbnails, you can only print from one of them at a time, but you can select multiple magazine pages from one thumbnail page...you will see what I mean when you look at them...

Hope you get it

let me know if it works, an / or I can help further!!!..

I keep the magazines on my computer in my document files for awhile, then I move them onto one of those memory sticks....saves computer space.

I am working on moving most of my pictures over to those sticks too, I am going to keep some on each computer, but store most of them on the sticks....we were putting our photos onto cd's for "back up" but a computer person we know suggested the sticks are much better.....cd's can scratch, and warp....the sticks last longer....I sure hope so...we lost a bunch of photo's at one point when we had a "crash" don't want that to happen again!!!!

you are very welcome....^_^

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

LOL I just keep switching photos to the newest storage system. Had them on floppys, went to cd's, now going to sticks. I try to keep them in catagories too. By family, by event, and have others yet for old family photos that I have restored. I even scared a phone tech one time. I told him that if what he was telling me to do lost my photos, I would hunt him down.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much for the info! I had no idea there were so many back issues I could get to!

Does anyone know anything about external hard drives! I have had this one for a few years and I usually back up all photo's every month or so, but lately it tells me it is write protected, and won't let me save anything? How to I remove the write protection?

Lexington Park, MD

Sorry LK I am no help to you on this one.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I can't help you either but I'll tell Norm about it when he gets home - maybe he will know.
Thank yo so much Thunder for taking the time to print out those instructions. I'm going to print the page and keep it my my computer. Like you said, after I do it a few times, I'll be okay.....

You should have a log on to that ext hard drive and most likely need to update the config file.
Or it could be read only if it's full, but that should give a different msg, not "write Protected".
Have you checked to see how much space is left????

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

What are you trying to upload onto it? If it's from a specific website, it may be copywrite protected and blocked from being copied onto your computer.

I have 75% free space, and it is my own personal photos I am trying to transfer from my computer to the external hard drive. I have never had to log in to use it, and have no idea how to change the write protection.

Can you update files that are currently on the Ex drive?

I don't know how to do that?

LK this is what Norm said to do.

Go to the computer section on your main menu. Right click on the external drive. Click on properties.
Look for a check against "read only" and then uncheck it. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks, I will give that a try?

I had to come home "early" today (LOL, that means I got to leave on TIME!) We were having computer issues and the guru needed to do some maintance on the system. WORKS for me! I got to go home and not feel guilty that I have unfinished work.

I think this 3 cut block would make a great swap sometime closer to spring. If I organize it, it wil be 12 inch. That's the only size of block I have worked with so far and don't want a bunch of different sizes.

Yippee... off to play at making more blocks for the 2011 block swap. AND it looks like I won't have to travel to Seattle this week to testify! ALL kinds of time saving news today.

Congrats Pat. That's terrific. I love "found" time!!!!!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I just made a 12.5" block, using the same colors as I did before. It turned out great! If you organize a swap for this block in the spring, Pat, I'm in!

Any chance of a picture Nichole?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from Qwilter :
Pat - I did an all over meander on a 64 X 72" quilt in 45 min. Then took almost 3 hours to do a Ginko Leaf pano an a 48 X 80. The 2nd had over twice as many stitches as the 1st. And following a pattern always takes longer.

yep, the panto I tried was not fun, or as much fun as all over quilting. I found myself hating it about halfway through the quilt but I persevered and got through it. I'm going to stick to my "drunken bees" style of meander as that one I can do well and quickly and it looks pretty.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Here you go, Barb . . . I took a pic of both of the blocks I've done next to each other. I used the same material on both.

Thumbnail by Syrumani

Nichole, those are beautiful!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, LK. I told my son last night that I would make him a blanket for his bed (we have lots of girl blankets, not many boyish ones). He got all perky, and said Great! Lets go in your room! (that's where I have the sewing machine). I'm thinking of using this pattern, in different shades of blue . . . but I will take him with me to pick out material, so he will feel even more that it's "his" quilt . . .

Can't wait to see what fabrics he has picked out!

Lexington Park, MD

Wow look at the colors. I agree can not wait to see what colors your son chooses. My son loves orange.

I like the 12" one as well as the 9" one. I'm picturing a quilt made with both sizes and mixed in with a solid block or two to even things out. Very nice Nichole.

Lexington Park, MD

Barb how would you mix the 2 different size block together? I am not able to picture that in my mind.

Let me see if I can find a picture of what I mean and I'll send it.

Lexington Park, MD

OK. I have already made the 9 inch and was going to try the 12. If I can put the 2 together that would be great.

I was thinking making 6" blocks then those could alternate with the 12" 4 to 1.
If mixing 9 with 12, you could add a strip to 2 adjoining sides of the 9" block. Staggering those up the quilt would then give a stair step effect. Sort of like a log cabin when you just add the strips to 2 sides.

Oh the possibilities..........................

Thanks for the help Jean - my mind is whirling for some reason today. I could "see" what I mean and just can't seem to put it in words. That is about what I envisioned...

There were some pictures over on one of the Christmas swap threads demonstrating mixing the 9 inch & 12 blocks (different years made different sizes),

Make a frame around the 9''....something like these....

Thumbnail by barefootT

to make a quilt something like this..(not mine)

Thumbnail by barefootT

just make frames, and / or fill in spaces as needed....lots of fun!!!

That's exactly what I saw in my mind!!! Thanks Thunder.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.