Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Show me your vintage sewing machines and/or cabinets

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 95, Views: 1,160
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8327285

Hey all. I occassionally see that some here have vintage sewing machines and/or cabinets. I will eventually be looking for a trendle (?) sewing machine cabinet to use as a table or conversation piece if ever we get our computer room cleaned out and tiled so that I may have an area to call just mine for quilting. So, make your machine and/or cabinet the star of the picture and share it here...

Thumbnail by FLStu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8327587

Don't I wish!!!!! No oldies but goodies here I'm afraid. I still don't know what happened to my Mom's old Singer...
Elida
Henagar, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8328399

keep an eye on ebay, you may find a treasure there, I'm always looking there, because I have my moms old Universal and I would like to find a manual for it. That machine is quieter than my Janome and Riccar. Good luck.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8328459

I have a treadle, but no good pictures of it...will have to take some. I also have a feather weight, and again no pictures...

this is the only picture I have, that shows my treadle...it looks pretty "beat up" but it will run!!! have not used it in forever though...DH got it for me at a yard sale...many , many years ago...it sits in my living room, and the "decorations" on it change with the seasons...at the moment there is a "valentine" dragon sitting on top of it.

not a gorgeous piece to look at, but I love it.!!

Thumbnail by barefootT

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8336748

Stu - here is my antique machine. It is the 1st thing ones sees when they walk in my front door. It does indeed run but needs new belts.
All the drawers have hidden locks on them.
My sister-in-law gave it to me as payment for some curtains I made for her.

Thumbnail by Qwilter

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

January 31, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8340665

I could probably fill up the whole board with pictures of my antique and vintage machines, but I'll limit myself to a few that I already have photographs for.

This is a Lady Kenmore model 89, made in 1959 by Gritzner-Kaiser in Germany. A look under the hood shows that perfect engineering that Germany is famous for, and the outside is beautifully, perfectly 1959. It looks like the dashboard of a car, with radio dials.

It has 21 built-in stitches and is a wonderful free-motion quilting machine.

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

January 31, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8340669

This is my favorite free-motion machine - perfect stitch and lots more room under the arm than most modern domestic machines. I regularly quilt queen and king-size quilts on this machine.

It's from 1947 and it has the vertical bobbin and droppable feed dogs that are so helpful in free-motion quilting. Also a perfect straight stitch. I'm paper piecing a miniature flying geese quilt on it today.

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

January 31, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8340672

This is my oldest machine, from 1894. It is now cleaned up and waxed and beautiful, though the cabinet still needs some heavy restorative work.

It sews like a dream and is fun to sew with, although at the moment, it's in the garage with the other "project" machines because I ran out of room in my house.

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

January 31, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8340678

This is a 201 from 1951, another straight-stitcher and competent free-motion quilting machine, although the bobbin is horizontal.

I've had the motor rewired and all the electrical components replaced so it's safe to sew with, now. I spent a good many hours taking this machine apart and cleaning it and now it's beautiful and sews so quietly. :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

January 31, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8340696

This is the machine that started my addiction to vintage machines, the Singer 401A. It is exactly like my grandmother's machine and cabinet and I have filled the drawers with period notions and tools like darning eggs and every imaginable accessory and attachment. I even found a pair of Wiss pinking shears in the same identical box as my grandmother had.

The round tin on the shelf above the machine is stamped with the Singer "S" and is just like one that she had to hold buttons. I wonder if it was given away with the purchase of a machine or something. On the wall in that corner, I've framed color ads for the 401.

It was made in 1956 or 1957, it has many built-in decorative and utility stitches, and while I do some darning type repairs on this machine, the horizontal bobbin configuration makes it less than an ideal machine for free-motion quilting. Lots of problems when I've tried to use it for this and the backs of the quilts are unattractive. I stick to using it for sewing tasks that it's well-suited to do. :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

January 31, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8340708

This is an ad for the drawer that's like the one in my 66-1 treadle. I have found all the attachments for this back-clamping machine - I had to buy a LOT of eBay auctions to get the whole set and the little round needle case was the most elusive.

The drawer is carved and lined with fabric to custom fit all the pieces. It contains a quilting guide, stiletto, two screwdrivers, an underbraider, quilting foot, five bobbins, needle case, three rolled hem feet, a binder foot, a shirring plate, cloth guide, tuck-maker and gatherer.

The machine is very powerful and not at all elegant, but I really like it.

The decals on my 66 are pretty much destroyed and the wood part of the cabinet is falling apart. When the weather warms up, I'll take it outside and repair it and refinish it. I planned to strip the machine and paint it in an antique fire engine theme - red with gold leaf scrolls and flourishes.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 12:28 PM

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8340727

This is my treadle machine cabinet. It's in my dinning room in the front window. The cats love using it to look out.

Thumbnail by jumper2

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8340754

Lucy is that a lobster trap on the right in that picture???

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8340790

Yes it is! I use it to store boots in. We got it at one of those shops along the road a few yrs ago while visiting Mom. We went up to Maine. It even had the tag for the season on it. It has a round top.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8340813

Here is my old treadle by Singer. This one takes a shuttle bobbin. Although I don't sew a lot these days, it is my only machine and I love it for heavy fabrics like upholstery.

I bought this in the early 70s, paid $50. The cabinet/base were painted white. Now, I see the base is painted "dusty". LOL OH well...

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8340819

Odd but I found out years later that my grandmother (who was a millner) had a treadle just identical to this one.
FLStu ~ I hope you get your wish for a treadle. They are the most easy dependable machine to use and good exercise too.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 3:28 PM

Thumbnail by podster

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8340841

Podster... That's a beautiful piece of furniture.

Quilter_gal... can't wait to see more of your collection.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 3:04 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8340904

I found this in the attic today... not very pretty, but I know it's older than me...LOL (excuse the kitchen mess, I got so excited after finding this, I forgot to 'clean it up' for the pic...

Quilter_gal, you have Dmail...

Thumbnail by Kizmo

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

January 31, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8341201

Jumper, what kind of machine is that? I would love to see it! :)

podster, I have a 27 that looks a lot like yours with the Sphinx decals, and I have another one with "gingerbread" or "Tiffany" decals. I am pea green with envy over your Eastlake style cabinet - so pretty!

Kizmo, I think you could have a lot of fun working on that machine.

Stu, once you buy a treadle, you're going to be hooked. They're so much fun to sew with - especially piecing quilts - oh my - to be able to sew one stitch at a time - lovely! :)
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 31, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8341261

If sewing machines could talk. Just think of all the history ...and the generations that have used those machines.
Drooling here one day I to will have a treadle.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8346781

You can go here to see if you can find a sewing manual for your sewing machines or small sergers. http://www.sewingmanuals.com/

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8350739

Kathy what a find

I had a singer fom the early 50's gave it to a cleaning lady - she needed to make clothes for her children was my Moma's, then I had a Singer from the 70's with all the bells and whistles, monograming, etc. etc in cabinet and stool to sit on and store threads under the cushion. that one died and I just left it in the shop -- regrets, regret.

Some one here actually got the same machine in cleaning out a house and posted pictures same sewing table and all. I cried for not having it anymore .I do love my cheap Janome. Helene

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8351797

Hello Helene, hope you are doing ok. My youngest son's best friend in high school had a gfather that repaired old machines. When he passed, his daughter brought in an auctioneer, who loaded the lot onto his truck before the auction, after he told her they weren't worth anything. She was still in mourning over her dad, so she took his word for it. At the auction, quite a few family members asked her about it, along with neighbors and were shocked that she let him have them. Some of them had given them to her dad to repair and use in his showroom for 'show and tell' to other customers. Since she had sold them to the auctioneer before asking anyone in the family, they were at a loss. Bad feelings all around, I would have paid for these machines. I saw some of them before they got loaded up, beautiful things...

Helene, our machines may be cheap, but if they make us happy, that's all that counts!
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8351938

Beautiful pictures of the old sewing machines, you are all so lucky to have them.
I am determent to have my DM’s old treadle sewing machine shipped to Canada…I just have to find the necessary funds…lol
Mom’s sewing machine is inside a cabinet (nothing fancy), lift the lid to the left, bring up the sewing machine and fold front and back of the cabinet to the left side and rest the top on the sides. You end up with a great big table right beside the machine.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8352277

I actually found an original Singer book for my treadle. The only difference is the book is for a round bobbin rather than the shuttle bobbin. Until recently, a local Singer store stocked the shuttle bobbins and belts. A friend that does leather work can order the leather belt material and you can cut off the amount needed. They are such dependable machines.

Kizmo ~ sad about them disposing of all those vintage machines. When I got mine, my DMIL said 'Why do you want one of them? I hauled mine to the dump!' Grrrr! I guess the next generation will probably haul mine to the dump.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8352498

podster, the machines weren't 'disposed of'... the auctioneer and his son paid the lady a pittance, as he told her she wouldn't get anything out of them from the auction... The machines and tables were all beautifully restored, and while they weren't worth $$$$$, I would bet money that the auctioneer found a place for them, - if you get my drift. He wasn't exactly the most requested auctioneer around the area at the time, and while he did justice on the remaining household stuff, IMO he made off with something that he could make a profit on elsewhere, otherwise, what was the reason for taking them before the auction anyway? It was a thorn-in-the-side of the rest of the family for quite awhile, not something they needed right after the death of their dad/grandpa.
I'm hoping to get my 'treasure' at least to run and restore it back to a treadle. If not, to make it look nice enough to display somewhere.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8352620

Oh.. I followed you on that but I guess I meant "disposing" in a different manner than it came across. Perhaps because I mentioned my MIL toting hers to the dump. Good luck on restoring your treasure!

You know, back in my MILs' days, they all wanted new and modern. I was told that treadle machines were gladly taken in trade for new Singer brand electric machines and then, Singer would scrap them to take them out of circulation. Seems they would never wear out so were competition for the new machines.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8352894

treadles are just so cool to me... but then again, I love machinery in general. During factory tours, they usually find me at the end of the group, talking to operators or standing and watching the operation. My dad used to work in a tomato factory when I was young. Sometimes we would go visit him for lunch on a Friday and he would take me to his station and let me stand there and watch all the bottles rattling by as they went thru the filling and capping stations.. so cool... (and smelly, all at the same time.. )
I think my fascination with the treadle came from my early years around Gma, but also the beauty of the workmanship and crafting of the wheels and treadle parts. Old stuff just seems like the workmanship came with more pride and design that today's stuff. I was watching a sewing clip the other day and found myself wondering "yeah, the new machines do really cool stuff, but they just look like a box and motor, compared with the old treadles" LOL wouldn't it be cool if they could make a machine that looked like the old ones, but did all the cool stuff of the new ones?????

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8352943

If they miniaturize the parts like they did for TV I'm sure they could do it. BUT you would probably have a ton of attachments!!!!!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8352956

Kizmo... it's funny that you should mention the factory machines. I can sit for HOURS watching the conveyor belts and the machines working. I'm even been mesmorized when I have gone to a Krispy Kreme and waatched the donuts being cooked and frosted, or a mexican restaurant that makes their own tortellia wraps out there for you to see. I especially like bottling plants and was bummed out when Busch Gardens here closed down the bottling plant that you could walk through within the park... but then again, I have spent hours watching the penguins in their buildings at zoos...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8354527

check out this link, I've been on this site for the past 2 hours... the home page has a link to sewing machine history that actually has animation of how the stitching works...

http://oldsewingmachines.acandanex.co.uk/

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8567811

I saw this Late 30's / Early 40's White 77 series machine and cabinet at Salvation Army nearly a month and a half ago. I was 'good' until I asked if they were going to mark it down at all after oogling it for several weeks. They marked it down and it was a 25% off day... I bought it for $50. I would need rewiring and servicing if I were interested in using it. It has a knee bar that I believe may be it's peddle. In the drawers I found an original removable caddy made from oak, the original manual in excellent condition, a box of all it's attachment feet, etc, a bobbin case with the original bobbins and some neat vintage pins and an unused vintage chalk box with chalk. The rest of the memo books with notes, material, etc., I threw out as i was either afraid to keep it (the material and elastics) or couldn't decipher (knitting instructions, notes on patterns that she had written, but wouldn't mean anything unless you knew what she was referring to).

This message was edited May 17, 2011 4:59 AM

Thumbnail by FLStu

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8567817

And with a quilt on it for display

Thumbnail by FLStu

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8567944

WooHoo!! Lucky you Stu. Persistence pays off.
stevelvv
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8567955

I bought this Singer 99K and found that it had a broken camshaft bushing and warped handwheel. Was able to find the parts and restored it to perfect condition. The case and cord are in great shape. Am looking for the cabinet that fits the Singer 3/4 size machines but nearly impossible to find.

Thumbnail by stevelvv

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 16, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8568093

Those "art deco" desk cabinets were very popular in the 30's-60's and all the major sewing machine companies seem to have made one.

The difference with White was that they not only made their own cabinets, they maintained their own forests. I have one of their Mount Vernon cabinets from 1926 and it's absolutely gorgeous - they really made beautiful furniture, as well as fabulous machines.

Your White should be a very competent FMQ machine and the desk is lovely - they're not usually in such pretty condition. :)

Those 99's are so cute - I hope to find one around here one of these days, especially if it's in a cabinet. I have a 3/4 treadle cabinet with a 28 in it - you're right - they're as rare as hen's teeth in most places in the US, a little more plentiful in others.
JudeY
Brooksville, FL

June 16, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8634348

I know this topic has been going for awhile but I just got on board. Surprised me to find a quilt forum on a garden site but glad I did. I have my aun't old cabinet Singer...not a treadle. Have no idea what year it is but she taught me to sew little peasant blouses on it when I was about 9. I'm 68 now so who knows how long she had it before I came along! We have a lovely quilt shop here in Brooksville; the owner's husband repairs all sorts of machines (doesn't like working on Vikings though). I asked if he refurbished old Singers and she said yes, they are usually easy to get parts for. Guess I'll lug it up there one day and see how much it will cost.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

June 16, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8634367

That would have put it at about 1952/53, right?

In 1953, Singer was still making models 127, 128, 15, 66, 99, 201 and I think the first slant needle, the 301 came out right about then.

These were really common machines and it is very easy not only to find parts for them, but for a hobbyist like you or me to take them apart and put them back together. :)

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8634387

Judy,

There is also a sewing machine repair booth in the back right hand side (looking in from, the entrance) of the Outlet mall (the old Walmart) on US Hwy 19 in Spring Hill right in back of Chili's/Codys. I bought my Juki through him last year. He works on all types of machines and his prices are very reasonable. He used to be part owner in A-Whites sewing, but sold out his share and opened his repair shop.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8634606

This is an "Ah Ha Moment". I have been seeing quite a few machines listed on Craigs List in Spring Hill as i have been checking for a teadle Machine.I'd love to own one.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8635597

P.S. The Juki was new... he also sells a limited amount of new machines though he needs to order them. He includes the first year's routine annual maintanence in the sale and gave me a good # of extra bobbins.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2011 5:13 AM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8644470

This is my aunts antique machine. It is Singer Sew Handy Model 24 Serial # G8250317. Manufactured abt. 1919-1920. It works well and is complete with cover which also has it's key. This one is electrified and has replacement foot pedal. She would like me to list this on Ebay for her but we have no idea of it's value. Any one that can help us? Another photo will be in the next frame.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8644481

I have enhanced the photo to better show details, sorry should have done it before.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8644483

This is the machine case opened to show underneath.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8878578

Bumping this up. You will not believe what my sister gave me. She did some charity work for a friend and the friend brought her this machine in it's case. Going to take some pictures today..
brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8879694

Just obtained a 1961 Singer, or my Mother did. It belongs to an aunt and was well kept. I brought it home to clean up but dusting was all that it seemed to need. The first stitches were beautifully formed. Just perfect.

Thumbnail by brngroba

brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8879695

Just today my husband told me it would be okay to sell his grandmother's tredle sewing machine. I am afraid it will marr the flooring but never! I won't sell it. I'd love to get it going but I'm a bit afraid to start. My family have always told me to never let the old ones out of my sight or they may not be returned intact. Someday I'll get the courage up to get it going. I have no reason not to believe it works. The cord going around the wheel is off but it is here.
I've used a treddle machine in the 1970's and the stitches were beautiful. I enjoy having this one and believe it would work but for some reason I am reluctant to attempt to get it to work. Any advice would be welcome.

Thumbnail by brngroba

brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 6, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8879701

Stored in garage I have a machine with hand crank. It was a portable but top cover was gone when I purchased it. Will get picture in a few days.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8879863

Is the belt missing or is it just off the wheel? I take mine off the wheel when I close the machine up.
If your belt has not dry rotted, it is easy to put back on track.

I will encourage you to put life back into that gorgeous old family heirloom. Very nice! Lucky you!
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

November 7, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8880382

brngroba, If I'm not mistaken, that 60's Singer is best known for its perfect satin stitch. :)

I have no idea what brand of treadle you have there, because I've never seen that cabinet before - it's absolutely beautiful.

If this treadle uses commonly available needles, shuttle/bobbin case and bobbins, that's the first big hurdle. The second is the presence of all the necessary parts. Sometimes, those parts are easily available and sometimes, they're not.

It may be the case that all you have to do is replace the belt, oil it all up, wind a bobbin and put a new needle in it and the sweet old thing will sew as if it just sewed yesterday. We will wish for that.

Should you decide to open it up and see what needs doing, I'd be tickled pink and blue to help you figure out how to get her sewing again and so would several others, here. Take good pictures of the machine from all sides, including the underside. Separate pictures of the attachments, shuttle or bobbin case, bobbin case and closeups of a presser foot attached to the machine will be helpful, too.

I know there are quite a few more here who love these old gals, so you've got help available if you want it. :) Too bad Humble isn't closer - I'd LOVE to run over and help you get her running. :)
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8880518

I was finally able to get some pictures. I ran it and it was fine until I changed the bobbin, carefully followed the instructions on winding and replacing the bobbin in the bobbin case, now it will not sew. Here's how I received it.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8880520

Here's the "machine". I can't tell if it has been repainted or if it is original, 221-1

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8880522

Picture 3

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8880523

Picture 4 The foot control.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8880525

Picture 5 the bobbin case

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8880527

Picture 6 Notes on tension setting

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8880528

Picture 7 Contents of the tray from case.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8880531

Picture 8 attachments

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8880533

Picture 9 first 3 0f 6 attachments

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8880534

Picture 10, 4 thru 6 of attachments

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8880535

Picture 11. Little book on machine model 221-1 for home use. Copywrite 1940?

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8880537

Any suggestions on what I could try to get it to sew again?
brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8880569

Quilter_gal, that 1961 has a great satin stitch!!! It took me a few trys with the levers to figure out how to work it but I ended up with a great satin stitch just as you believed I would. I did notice I tended to pull the scrap fabric (cuff from man's shirt) through because I was afraid it was bunching up too much. I haven't learned yet how to account for the thickness of the fabric on this machine and for some reason I wonder if that was my problem. In the sample stitching I have done exploring this machine I have not had a problem with the fabric feeding through.

Thumbnail by brngroba

brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 7, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8880573

Quilter_gal or anyone else. What is the knob used for that is sticking out at the lower left toward the back of this 1961 Singer? Also, do you know what the knob is for at the top left back of this machine. It does not show well in picture but can be located in front of the tea kettle in the background.

Thumbnail by brngroba

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

November 7, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8880590

mittsy, that's a darling little featherweight. I just got a Centennial model last month and it's in about as nice a condition as I could have hoped for - a tiny bit of rubbing on about a half-inch of the decals - otherwise, it's beautiful.

Yours appears to have the original paint and decals for that era. Is there anything that would indicate that it's a re-paint? Is the paint "too perfect" or something? To be honest, I would have preferred to find a FW of this era and I'm happy that you have something so wonderful!!!

As for getting it sewing again - are you absolutely sure that the needle is positioned correctly (flat side to the left) and up as high as it will go? Is it threaded right to left through the eye? Being situated with the flat side to the right or scootched down just a tiny bit will prevent it from forming stitches.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8880626

Needle groove (scarf ?) is facing right so flat side is towards the left. Threaded from right to left. Not sure if needle is up in all the way, will check that tomorrow. It is so clean and not a bit worn looking. The lady said it belonged to her mother, now deceased and that she didn't sew very much just some mending. The bobbins held navy, brown and black thread, I'd guess she shortened men's pants? Did you catch the 19 cents for the spool of thread in the tray? Good quality thread, too. I couldn't break it with my fingers. Thanks for your help.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

November 7, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8880641

brngroba, the knob on the top left of the machine is the pressure adjustment. If your fabric is bunching, there may not be enough pressure on the presser foot to advance the fabric with every stitch.

A good way to test the feed is to set the stitch length lever to the number of stitches per inch that you want. Stitch a couple of inches, then mark off an inch of that seam and count the stitches in that inch. If you set the machine for 12, but there are 15 stitches in that inch, you will need to adjust the pressure. Quilting cottons require a different adjustment than a heavy tweed or a wool blanket. I can't ever remember which way it needs to go, so I end up trying both directions every time. :D

Turn the pressure adjustment counterclockwise to release the pressure on the presser foot, clockwise to increase it.

If you're doing satin stitch, the foot itself will hang on the stitching - use a satin stitch foot - it's scooped out on the underside, allowing a built-up satin stitch to slide under the foot. :)

Edited to add - you should not have to pull the fabric through - that's what I started to say all along! LOL! If you're having to pull the fabric, try adding pressure - all the way, if you can - and see if that makes it feed when you're doing a normal straight stitch. If not, then, decrease it almost all the way.

If this has droppable feed dogs, it could be that they were left down the last time the machine was used.

And the knob on the face plate appears to be the same kind of screw that is used for the old style mechanical buttonhole makers. Can you remove it? When you remove it, what happens? Is that what's holding the face plate onto the end of the machine, maybe? Or is it just a convenient storage place for the screw that's used with buttonholers and other attachments? :D

This message was edited Nov 7, 2011 6:16 PM

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8881882

This is "Lovely Greta" beautiful condition. A bit of wear, just a bit here and there, (Oh it rhymes)

Mittsy i have a maintenance chart showing all the parts to be oiled and greased. Very precise.[deleted]

Also my LQS since she has a bunch of these featherweights and uses them, carries the walking foot for it.That is if you want.?

This message was edited Nov 8, 2011 5:29 PM

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 8, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8881886

Here she is again closeup

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8881992

Helene, Greta is gorgeous! Looks like new! Is this one that you used all those years ago, sewing for your girls and such? What a keepsake!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8882597

Oh, thank you Helene, I'm dmailing you my email address. Can you also send me a picture of the walking foot with the price. My local sewing machine repair person is like family. We all love him and if I can show him a picture of what I need, he can usually find it in his stock. The reason he has so much stock for parts is because he will tell you right out if you shouldn't waste your money on repairing an older machine. We just donate them for parts. He doesn't sell new ones but he's certified to repair several different makes. I went in to pick up my Ultimate Pacesetter that had it's yearly checkup and cleaning. Took him a water lily plant in a 5 gallon bucket for his daughter's pond. Was just chatting about trying to sew clear plastic pockets on an organizer I was making, mentioned I sure wish they had a Teflon foot for my machine, he goes in the back and brings back a bunch of them which he then proceeds to try on my machine. Finds one and then wouldn't let me pay for it. Does the same with attachments of all kinds and bobbins. We just love him.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8882929

the walking foot looks the same as for other machines. I think it's the shank that determines which foot will fit. short, long or slanted...
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8883180

ok, thanks.
brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8886201

Podster and Quilter_gal, I'll get back to the machines and the computer in a little while. Thanks. I am amazed at all the information you have on this Singer. Thanks and I'll get back to it after Thanksgiving.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8890470

Helene...May I possibly have a copy of that chart??? I have similar machine :) I was just thinking the other day that I needed to get her back out, now that I have bigger room for sewing stuffs!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 14, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8890684

yes,
PDF file, Very comprehensice "Nova's Fetherweight Maintenance card" oil and lube 2 sided

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8891182

thanks Helene, I will send you a d-mail :-)
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8892343

This is my Centennial Singer 201-2. My ex b/f bought it for me a a yard sale 10 year ago...and I have loved it ever since. It is 1951, heavy duty industrial with no belt. Capable of sewing leather. Now, fiance just found out all of this juicy info for me just last weekend. I had looked online numerous times through the years, even at the Singer website...and didn't find that info.
Anyway, this singer is what I will be doing my alterations business with when I get it opened to the public. Right now, I am only doing private jobs. I have to still go through all the leg work to get the place set up, a sign, a business license, and a tax number. Yada yada...and so forth.
But, I love my machine. I had the newer plastic models through the past 30 years...they were all junk. They are long gone now. This one works like a charm.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8892484

Moxie. I love the machine and cabinet... both look to be in superior condition.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8892523

I learned to sew on one just like that. Yup I'm that old. LOL
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8892675

I learned to sew on grandmas treadle Singer. My dad still has it. My mom had a Kenmore 1950's machine, I think it was. between my mom, and her mom, they had several machines around the house when I was young. My grandma worked at a company called Nelly Don back in the 40's and 50' in Kansas City MO. They made lots of nice clothing back then. Grandma taught me how to sew before I was in Kindergarten. I was a tomboy (still am), and teaching me to sew kept me out of trouble I guess. I have been sewing now for 45 yrs. I was making French seams and installing invisible zippers before kindergarten ...lololol

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 16, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8892690

My Moma had a singer .Firstone out that did zigzag. We lived in NYC - she worked for a company that made cloth books for children and appliqued damaged pages of the motifs onto baby bibs."Platt and Munk" was the company.She bought the machine to do applique work on weekends to make extra$$$. I was 16 and old enough to help. Loved the machine and actually ended up with it. Dumb enough to give it away. Had a fancy Singer with all the bells and whistles in the 50s which than died, after I gave the old one away...So it goes.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #8993261

A quick note. Nova Montgomery's chart is copyrighted. It is illegal to copy and share the chart. We have been notified by Nova Montgomery of their intent to enforce the copyright laws on their chart and their intent to pursue legal remedies if they find evidence the chart is being illegally copied and disseminated.

I trust that everyone on this thread will understand that companies have the right and duty to protect their copyrighted material and that making copies and sharing material without the right to do so is a violation of Federal law.

We strongly advise you to not offer or request to share this material, and we must insist that you not use DG to discuss any means of illegally disseminating the material. If you have any questions or would like to purchase the chart for yourself, you should contact Nova Montgomery at novamontgomery.com

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #8993447

Terry, thank you for the reminder. As with any of the instruction books, charts, etc., it's always a best bet to start with the company that made the original. I know that Singer has been phenominal on helping date their machines and provide references to old instruction books on their websites.

The jump of of this thread remends me... i went to a local antique shop and saw this treadle in a phenominal cabinet. Even the front undersection for the treadle had doors and a flap down that was supported but the doors when opened in that gave the leg toom when in use and became a full cabinet when closed. It really was extrodinary in design and not too fancy as well as in great condition. It was extremely pricey however (they would bring it down to $375 from $449 if I wanted it). I WAS tempted, but can't rationalize the expense at this time unless I were to sell a couple of antique pieces at home that I really don't have a need for (which I'm tempted to do). It wouldn't be fore use, just for display of quilts and the machine. I'm not sure of the age, but it's got to be pre early 1930's at the least, but probably more early turn of the century. And I was so enammered with the cabinet that i didn't even look to see the brand of machine...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #8995398

some of my old machines

Thumbnail by denimangle

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #8995403

hand crank .. gift from my DH

Thumbnail by denimangle

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #8995420

one more .. Ill get more pictures when I get them all out of storage & into their new home as soon as my Studio is finished

Thumbnail by denimangle

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #8995827

Great machines Denimangle. Can't wait to see your others. Love the handcrank... really neat.
brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #8997535

Need information and assistance:
I've got relative's treddle machine but can't get the cabinet open . I looked underneath to find "?RTICAL FEED" on the machine head and I realize this must be "VERTICAL FEED". The faceplate is flat with a 'key' located at the bottom front of it.
From computer search there was a Vertical Feed Co. about 1915-1920 but I can't find anything more. I find information on the Davis vertical feed machine but nothing I see on this one indicates Davis.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 7:16 PM
brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2012
12:11 AM

Post #8997538

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 7:18 PM
brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #8998435

Does anyone else have the machine in the pictures, a Vertical Feed? Now that I have it opened up I find the appearance has deteriorated but the wheel and shuttle still move freely so once I get another cord it should work fine. It was a worker because the printed decoration is worn off on the front bottom.

I got a machine out of storage that's a portable and hand cranked. It's a Jones model D53 from Manchester, England, with a number 51 on the bottom, no serial number, and I cannot find enough information on the computer from here or the UK in order to date it. After I cleaned it up I checked most everything that could turn then the handcrank decided to quit turning. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do to get the hand crank working again?

Thumbnail by brngroba   Thumbnail by brngroba   Thumbnail by brngroba
Click an image for an enlarged view.

brngroba
Coastal Texas, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9081723

Does anyone have a book on a Fleetwood, made in Japan after WWII? Have found there are no records available of the machines made in Japan after war and have not, to date, found a book available on http://WWW.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9081936

I'm not sure my machine will fit in the POD. It may end up at Goodwill next week...sigh. I'm not a collector, but thought it was just a neat machine to have.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9084685

Here's a 1920's Singer Treadle machine for sale on Kijiji.ca - in Ontario...
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-antique-side-table-not-just-another-sewing-machineNEW-PRICE-W0QQAdIdZ313804928

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9084793

Susan, just for the heck of it I checked Craig's List in your area and there is a treadle machine in a cabinet for $100. There was no picture but it's worth checking out. Here they are from $100 to $250 for a working machine in a cabinet. They are the standard treadles, not as cool as the one you found but do the same job.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9084824

Unfortunately I'm stuck with the "new" machine I have - only got it 1 1/2 years ago, new from WM, but with us not working I can't justify another sewing machine. Mine has such a tiny throat that machine quilting is a "no go".
When we're "in the money" I'll see about another machine.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America