(50 votes, 43%)
Red dot

Cookies! (what kinds?)
(12 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Homemade bread.
(18 votes, 15%)
Red dot

The weather is great, so we're grilling!
(8 votes, 6%)
Red dot

The weather is not so great, but we're grilling!
(6 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Other? (share a recipe!)
(22 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Just oven baked spuds and onions.

Greensboro, AL

I had roasted spuds and onions for breakfast (along with roasted green tomatoes) now Im making bread and a pot of homemade chili. There was no way to put both chili and bread on the chart.

(Im cooking to warm up my kitchen)

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I made a new chili recipe I found with a *secret* ingredient. Let me tell you it is a KEEPER.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I recently made a huge pot of, BION, collard gumbo. I thought it would be horrible, but its awesome, and it seems to get better every day it sits in the fridge. I'm going to get some right now and am planning to post the recipe in the Recipe Forum very soon. Already started the write up.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

About an hour ago our neighbor dropped by with a bowl of black bean/chili soup, so I guess that's what's cooking at our house tonight (at least being "warmed-up")

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I put soup/chili down but I grill in the Winter too. As long as it isn't 5 degrees F outside, I'll grill if dinner should be grilled.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I like the winter time comfort foods - soups mainly, but also roasted chicken or beef, and casseroles my mom used to make. All good. That said, we did BBQ brats last night, so anything is fair game.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just made chocolate chip cookies last night

Lyons, TX(Zone 8b)

Gumbo - because I had it in the freezer. While I was in there (freezer) - those blueberries I picked this summer jumped out at me. Something baked in on the menu this evening :-)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Trying my own version of a very popular sandwich that I just heard about on radio this past Saturday morning and can't wait to try. It's odd but that never stopped me.

http://www.primantibrothers.com/02menu.html

mmmmmm....... pot roast!

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, I had a sammy like that once in Cleveland. They're yummy!

Thank you! We're eager to try it.

Here's a photo of it and we really did enjoy it!

Thumbnail by pirl
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

cook??

Had to cook the French fries.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i voted soups and chili but we've been having short ribs over noodles and other comfort type foods too. personally, i'm getting tired of it! lol i'm not a big soup person but i do love chili. i throw steaks on the grill if it's not too cold but i think i'd just like a nice tuna or chicken salad...something cool and light.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

I live in the Phoenix Area and the weather is gorgeous now so I'm definitely grilling!

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Since deer season has just ended we use our fresh venison to make most all of our chili and other recipes that call for ground beef. This one can be made and on the table in 30 mins.

Quick and easy venison chili.

1lb ground venison
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 clove garlic

Fry venison, onions and garlic until brown.

Add 1pkg Durkee or McCormick MILD Chili powdered mix.
1 small can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 cans of Brooks(or other brand)Mild Chili beans and one can of water

Simmer until desired thickness.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Spaghetti squash in the oven. Sauce/topping is diced tomatoes,onions caramelized in lots of ghee,sliced mushrooms, squished large ripe olives, capers and lots of crumbled browned ground beast. ......... so thick & chunky you can pile it up on top of the SS.
Basil and bay for spices and topped with slivers of parmesan reggiano. Heats up the house and the beast in the belly lol

This message was edited Jan 24, 2011 11:19 PM

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

DH just made chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies to refill the cookie jars ^_^ I am going to try to not eat too many of them... LOL!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I didn't think chili and soup would get THAT many votes. Still I voted that too. A one bowl meal is easier to clean up AND easy for the family to self serve if schedules are all varied.
I use a basic chili recipe (kids) but vary it a little with the bean choices, and add small chunks of butternut squash, and add barley for a nice non meat chewiness.

YUM to the cookie bakers out there

Greensboro, AL

My chili is made with black beans. Some times I have it with corn and served over rice. No meat. Im vegetarian.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Big pot of spaghetti. It's damp and chilly today but suppose to reach 62 and possibility of T-storms. Crazy weather but love spaghetti when it's cool. We do grill in the winter on some of the mild days. Send some of those chocolate chip cookies my way.....they are my favorites!!! YUM YUM

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Chicken noodle soup, from scratch W/ homemade noodles. I have not learned how to make a small amount, so I now have 4 quarts sealed up for several more meals Baked 2 loaves of bread last night, so I just had a slice with homemade jelly on it. Just enjoying the finer things in life.
The grilling out, will have to wait, as for now the oven works just fine.

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

I love the oatmeal cookies on the Quaker oats box, I made a batch of those. Also, I wanted to use up a yeast packet, so I thought, mmmm, hot cross buns!!! I made the dough, but forgot to put any raisins or nuts in it!!! Bummer, the cold is getting to me. The buns are OK, but they're NOT hot cross buns!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

scooterbug, "ground beast"-too funny!

Sioux Center, IA

I'm usually a cook, not a baker, but I made some very tasty cranberry orange cookies with orange zest glaze today :)

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Cateyez, I can relate to being a non-baker. When we built our house 30+ years ago, we specifically created a 'baking center' with a lowered countertop and mixer storage drawer. My siblings find this rather humerous as it quickly became apparent that I can't make a pie to save my soul... I do use the lowered counter often though, it is an easier height for many tasks.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Last time I cooked... it was a big pot of Navy beans with a big ham bone. It was SO GOOD!!!!

Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

Whatever is easy. That's my main goal these days most of the time.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

tonite another fav one pot meal I call
Poor Man's Corned Beast & Cabbage.

Get a large heavy lidded fry pan good and warm,
Dump in a goodly amount of bacon grease or grease of your chioce.

Coarsly chop a head of cabbage ..... about 2" chunks will work.

Put cabbage in hot grease and let sizzle while tossing a little so some parts of it get kinda brown , it adds good flavor.

Put on top a few carrots peeled and in large chunks.
A pinch of kosher salt and a good amount of fresh ground pepper.

No stirring.

Add about 1/4 cup wter and cover with the fitted lid.
Turn heat down and steam about 15 min.

Meanwhile cut contents of a COLD can of Corned Beef into lg dice.
Arrange on top of pan contents , cover for 3 or 4 minutes.

Gently toss with some butter if you wish.

Handle gently so it holds shape and ladle onto big dinner bowls.

Yummmmm.

After dinner we had some frozen blueberries .

scooterbug, that sounds mighty fine.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

mmmm Scooterbug.

Tonight we're having sauerkraut with steamed summer sausage; boiled white potatoes and white gravy. I don't think anyone else in the whole world eats this except my family. I love it once in a while. Oh, yeah, I like ketchup with it.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Today it was dry limas, cornbread, cooked cabbage, and mashed rutabegas. It was GOOD!!

Soup night- half pound of small dry beans cooked, two carrots diced, some cabbage, clove of garlic, onion, hefty sprinkle of penzey's Tuscan seasoning blend, half pound of tiny pasta bows, some chicken broth and some leftover cups of dipping marinara from the last pizza for a bit of tomato.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

a toasty 78- here,t-bone,grilled tomato,mushrooms and hash browns,topped with a new [tasty] tomato relish-mmmmmmmmm

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Just made whole wheat sourdough pancakes from the San Francisco starter I am starting.

Greensboro, AL

AYankeeCat: That is great starter for sourdough. I hope you can keep it going. I used to live in the SF Bay area and you can actually put out flour and water and make sourdough starter from the yeast in the air. It doesn't work anywhere else.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.