Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Computer Talk: Can we talk IP addresses ?

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 22, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8327964

After installing my new router - which went pretty easily ... I decided to jot down all the IP addies for all 'items' that are connected within my Network.

a few days ago - I noticed my new WiFi printer was not 'doing it's thing' and i could no longer print from any laptop.
So i attempted to access it thru the 192.186 thing... the IP did not work.

So i kept digging around and found the printer no longer had an IP... long story longer...

I spent some time on the phone today with "Brother" to get it back up and running because the sheet i used to "set up' before... well, it wasn't working this time.

so -- we got the IP set and everything is working again... while i was still on the phone, i was mumbling and jotting down the IP addies, and the gal said... "OH, they will change. This happens often."

Stepping back a bit to my setting up the printer again... what the gal had me do was... go into Printer Preferences | Port .. then Add A Port.

She had me use the IP address of the printer as a new port... so obviously, it could be found.

So, now my question...

If IP addresses get changed all the time, and with my printer set to 192.168.1.5 -- if it changes to something else, will my laptops be able to find it because they are set to look for 192.168.1.5

OR -- since it was set to that, is it now static??

I guess I just don't understand this ever changing IP thing.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8327980

I have an older Brothers MFC, until I went with Windows 7 I had to get a report from the printer/fax/scanner for the network settings then reconfigure the printer, the scanner etc. separately. Windows 7 hunts for wireless devices and recognizes them. Of course it happens when I am in a rush to scan or print something!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8327986

E_G,

my main computer is XP, DH's laptop is XP, the kid has VIsta and I have Win7

so we are a bit of a mishmash ... but it's all setup on a WinXP.

I also have a Brother MFC, but it's not wifi. I have it hard wired to the "tower" and i can probably network it to the others.

Terese
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8328031

If you set the address for the printer to a higher number than you'll probably ever need for any other computers connecting to your network (say: 192.168.1.50), then the address shouldn't change (meaning no other device connecting via DHCP should get an address that high). That make sense? Is that the info you were looking for, or did I read it wrong? =)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8328173

Eggs -- OK, i understand what you are saying...

My question [inside that long ramble] was basically -- since the new PORT was added - the port of the IP addy of 192.168.1.5 - will that #5 be assigned to something else some day and the printer not be seen by the various laptops as that IP #5

Could I go in an remake a PORT to say #50, like you suggested - I'm just trying to look a head to make sure i dont have this issue again. Can i make the IP of the printer "static" ? - then it wont change?
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8328225

You're confusing "ports" with "addresses". =)

Simplified ('cause it can get REAL complicated):

There are some 65,000+ possible "ports". By default, for instance, FTP uses port 21, HTTP uses port 80, etc. Each computer (no matter it's ip address), can use any of the ports available (provided thy're not blocked by a firewall, ISP, etc) to communicate with and perform specific tasks that a remote machine has assigned that port, to.

As for your IP addy, you can use any number up to 255 for the last octet. If your router uses 192.168.1.1 as it's addy, then the machines (and other devices on your network) can use any addy from 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.255. Machines that connect to your network via DHCP will be assigned an address, starting with the lowest available (in this case 192.168.1.2, followed by 192.168.1.3, then 192.168.1.4, etc.. until you've reached the max). IF for some reason, the printer isn't turned on, and a fourth machine is connected, it will receive the addy 192.168.1.5. Then, if the printer is turned on, it will receive the next available address (which could make it unrecognizable by other machines on the network that are looking for the printer at address "5".

You should be able to assign an address to the printer, via the router's interface. If that's not possible, then do it from the printer's settings, and give it a number that you're sure won't be errantly assigned to another device.

Rather than assign an addy to the printer, can't you just give it a "name"? Then, devices on the network (with properly installed drivers), will see the printer no matter what it's addy is (provided it's properly configured to your network).

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8328238

>>192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.255.

Yes, this i understand.

>>IF for some reason, the printer isn't turned on,

OK, so if I never turn it off, it "should" stay at #5 ?

and i did understand everything else.. and yes it does have a name.

I guess where I'm getting confused, is when she had me in the "Printer Properties" the one tab that says PORTS, she had me ADD A PORT and set that to the IP.

Do you know what that actually DID? I was assuming it was telling all the laptops where to look for it.

but so far... it's listed as a usable [available] printer set as the default ... I'm just concerned that one day, poof, it will be gone again... DH is one of those that does not like change and expects everything to work when it's needed... I have the patience to futz with things... also, when the kid needs to print homework, like this morning and no printer is found... that gets aggravating.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8328305

You should reserve an address in your router for your printer as Eggs said. Sometimes you may have to turn off the printer and back on for it to pick up the address from the router. You will have to set the MAC (not to confuse it with anything Apple) address or device name to the IP address you want to reserve. See picture attached for an example.

As for setting a port on your PC that is just setting up another printer device. Same printer but one way is hard wired via USB (or LPT1, etc) and the other is by network address. Very confusing but once you have it set on each machine then it shouldn't be a problem as long as you pick the right interface to print to.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8328329

Hope you folks get this all ironed out. I do not have a router but may need one soon. My only exposure to local network systems was with industrial grade Cisco routers and switches and then only on a hardware basis. We had a staff of computer/data engineers who handled all the programming. I was under the impression static addresses did not change and the only conflict was thru more than one device with the same MAC. We kept a few dynamic ip's available on a first-come-first serve basis and when they were taken by visitors, no one else with a roaming MAC could connect.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8328344

hcmc --- yes i understand that the MAC is MAC address ... sting of numbers/letters

>>Same printer but one way is hard wired via USB (or LPT1, etc) and the other is by network address.

OK -- this i understand.

I do have the same Printer [brother HL2270] hardwired to my Dell, I assumed that since the tower is not wifi, I HAD to have it hardwired to use it. The gal at Brother told me I did not have to, that it would still see and use the wifi one [but i can't get that thru my thick skull] plus, when i went to access the Wifi printer thru my tower, i got some "spooling" error that she could not fix.

"my system' for the usb printer worked fine before, so i reinstalled it.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8328349

This is a quick primer on personal networks which may add something to the conversation.

http://compnetworking.about.com/op/workingwithipaddresses/qt/staticipaddress.htm

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8328377

thanks "rose" ... have the page up, i'll read it later.

and I felt this thread would [eventually] help others in my shoes.

it really can be confusing if you have no idea what you are doing.

so any and all info is grateful.

Terese
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8328446

[quote="tcs1366"]hcmc --- yes i understand that the MAC is MAC address ... sting of numbers/letters

>>Same printer but one way is hard wired via USB (or LPT1, etc) and the other is by network address.

OK -- this i understand.

I do have the same Printer [brother HL2270] hardwired to my Dell, I assumed that since the tower is not wifi, I HAD to have it hardwired to use it. The gal at Brother told me I did not have to, that it would still see and use the wifi one [but i can't get that thru my thick skull] plus, when i went to access the Wifi printer thru my tower, i got some "spooling" error that she could not fix.

"my system' for the usb printer worked fine before, so i reinstalled it.[/quote]

Yes the "gal" at Brother is correct on the tower being able to see the printer. Remember that the tower is connected to your LAN just like a wireless computer or in this case a wireless printer is connected to the same LAN. The tower doesn't know how a computer or printer connects and could care less, the only thing it knows is an IP address or a name that can be translated into an IP address. The only things you need to do is 1) insure the printer has an IP address (can you ping it?) and 2) that your printer is configured properly in your devices and printers on your computer to make the connection.

Spooling errors can be cleared by deleting documents ready to print and you may have to power the printer down to purge any jobs pending.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8328470

yes it did ping... that is one thing she had me do... 4 packets sent, 4 received.

and i just checked in 'printer' and it looks like all is well, and the tower "sees" the wifi printer - iv'e checked it back to default.

before... and i wish i could remember what it said... but the "status" was not right... it confused the gal.
it wasn't "offline" or "not responding" ... OH... i think it said "opening" for the status of the printer.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8351991

Figuring that i never turn off the main printer, I didn't think the IP would change... but it did. WIth the blizzard a few days ago, we have a few surges... and when i tried to print homework today - it didnt work. Checked all the IP;s and DH's laptop was now 1.5, and the printer was 1.2

so -- i got into the router and set 3 static IP's

my laptop, the Laser, and DH's laptop

it was easier than i thought it would be.

thanks guys!!

OH and right after i reset the IP the homework spit out. guess i forgot to cancel it.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8352101

=)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8370059

Why would a device all of a sudden lose connection to the router?

Again -- this afternoon, i tried to print to that wonderfully new wifi printer, only to find, it's offline again.
it's a real PITA

so i ran the "Printer Settings" page again on the printer and shows in the "Wireless link status" -- Failed to Associate ... basically, lost the connection to the router.

So now i have to go thru the whole 'set up' thing again.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8370120

When a device loses it's connection, first thing I'd do is reboot everything, in order.

The printer has a static IP?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8370174

Yes. i did make it a static address.

i fought with it quite a bit after posting... but looks like i got it going again.

It kept trying getting the IP of ... 1.6
took a few tries to get it back to 1.5

Was just wondering what would cause that.

Thankfully DH doesnt have to go thru this... he'd drop kick it to the curb.

while it's a PITA, i do like it because it duplex prints, and is nice and fast.

but if it keeps this up... we'll see how long i still like the thing.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8370293

*shrug*

I've always hardwired my printer to my main computer, then just used the printer name for other machines across the network to find it. It's never been an issue.

I suppose it could be a signal strength issue. How physically far from the router, is the printer?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8370315

the printer is actually just below my router... 4-5' i'd say.. .the router is on top of my cabinet and the printer sits on the desk.

I guess the fact that i bought a wifi printer... i HAD to have it wifi ... sort of the principle of it -- and want it to WORK wifi. Yes, i could hard wire it into the router.

I guess if this keeps up, that is what i will do... just run the cable down the back of the desk and plug it in.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8370411

Boot the printer and pray. Do you have security turned on the router? If so then do you have WPS on your router and printer so that you can sync them? I can typically boot my printer and it may connect after a while but if it doesn't then I have to go through the network settings at the printer to get ready to connect to the router. Then I have to either push the button on the router in another room to put it in WPS or go through the web portal on my laptop to tell the router to do the same thing. Then it is back to the printer and tell it ok - send your info to the router so you can connect. PITA - yes. If I am in a hurry I don't worry about a network printer, I unplug the laptop from the power adaptor, walk to the location where the printer is and plug in the USB cable I leave plugged in all the time and do what I need to do - scan or print.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8370506

>>I unplug the laptop from the power adaptor, walk to the location where the printer is and plug in the USB cable I leave plugged in

I showed my kid how to do this if the wifi printer is not 'talking' to his laptop

and yes on the 'security' stuff.

today i walked thru some instructions that i never did before, where i had to enter all the info for my 'network' / router, including the password -- never had to do that before... it was entering the IP into the addy bar window to directly access the printer and set it up that way. Hope that did the trick.

If i have these issues again.. i'm just going to hard wire it to my router and be done with it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America