Need advice on girl's knitted sweater

I hope someone might be able to help me with this pattern -
http://www.allaboutyou.com/craft/Knitting-pattern-girl-lacy-cardigan/v1

I'm on one of the final stages - knitting the front bands that get sewn onto the sweater fronts. Both bands are attached to the fronts at the bottom but are knitted separately and then sewn on. Is there another sewing method I should use (as opposed to sewing shoulder or sleeve seams together) that wouldn't create as much bulk? There is an extra stitch that was added where the band is knitted separately to use to sew the band on. (Did I explain that right???)
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Cindy, I was hoping someone would come and help you. That is one cute sweater. I haven't made a cardigan type sweater in years. But I don't recall sewing the bands on. I am going to bet I picked up stitches along the edge. I would suggest asking your question on Ravelry. I bet there is someone who can help you there.

I was thinking of trying Ravelry as well if I couldn't find an answer here. I'm just afraid that a seam along the band is going to be rather bulky. I've got the band knitted but not attached yet. Thanks for your help.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

The other thing is to look at the directions for another cardigan and see how it's done. I think you are right about it being bulky.

Cardigan patterns for young girls seemed to be hard to find. So many of them come with hoods and that's not what I wanted. Will check into some of my books as well.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

I don't think you have to have a girls pattern to figure out a better way. Here is a link for a pattern where you pick up the stitches. I don't know if this might help.
http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/bethany/bethany.html

Thanks for posting that link. Will definitely study those instructions. I have to admit I do get nervous when it comes to picking up those stitches for the neck band. Have done it in the past but it usually takes a couple of tries to make it look good. But repeated tries just means more practice so that's a good thing. I did post over on Ravelry yesterday so will hop over there and see if there's any advice.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

what you do is weave the band onto the sweater, by criss crossing with your needle - picking up a stitch on the band going from bottom of the stitch coming out on top then the same way on the sweater, this will make it flat

I found a tutorial yesterday on the mattress stitch so am now waiting for an hour or two of quiet to concentrate on this new technique. I guess I'm thinking too hard about this since I now have two more questions.
- Should I use embroidery thread to sew this to further reduce the bulk? The sweater yarn is a cotton blend and the embroidery thread would be cotton.
- Should I use this same seaming technique for putting together the entire sweater?
Thanks so much for the help!

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Cindy, I have never seamed a knitted item with anything other than the yarn. As far as the seaming of the rest of the sweater - I don't know. I can't wait to see the finished sweater.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

no sides should be sewn together with back stitch as close to the selvage stitch as possible for strength.
Mattress or criss cross stitch ( I am sure there are many neames for this) done in same yarn as sweater, won't show this way at all.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

It's wonderful to see you posting Helene. God Bless....

Thanks again for the advice. I'm feeling fully "armed" to go forward now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.