my latest books read

Plano, TX

THE PACT by jodi picoult
I liked it a lot--by the end it gave you a lot to think about and was "more" than what i had expected while reading it
the story line is a suicide pact between two teenagers where one dies and one does not--the mystery is if the death was a suicide or murder----a court case is involved---two very close families must now deal with the death of a daughter for the one family and the acusation of murder for the son of the other family--loyalties are tested--questions of "how could this happen to US" and "what could we have done/what did we do wrong?" come up--

the other book i just finished is RUN by ann patchett (same author of bel canto which i just loved)
i like this book a lot too---takes place in one day but of course in that one day we do a lot of looking back --story involves a unique boston family--father is former mayor who adopted 2 african american boys after having a son of his own 12 years earlier---an acident happens that changes the course of everyones life and roles are adjusted and life will never be the same but not all bad either

now i am ready to read CUTTING FOR STONE by abraham verghese

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

I just finished Cutting for Stone and I liked it quite a lot. Much of it takes place in an area of the world I'm not too familiar with and so interesting to read about.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I picked up The Road by Cormac McCarthy- mostly to check it out as possible audiobook for DS. A father and young son are on their own in a post-apocalyptic USA. Movie was made with Viggo Mortenson as the dad.
So far so good- different.

Plano, TX

i liked the road a lot--very depressing tho-----

About halfway now. And I can't imagine a happy ending, But his vocabulary and use of words is impressive, almost poetic.

Plano, TX

his use of punctuation too--is it the apostrophe he leaves out? i forget-
and he never uses the boys name

Yes, no apostrophes. and you're right, I hadn't realized, never saw the boys name yet. Maybe the dad avoids it, trying to distance himself. Maybe it is not needed as there is no other boy to differentiate from.
http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/works/Default.htm
I got this site of his in looking for some kind of analysis just now.
Oh, he wrote No Country for Old Men also.

This interview article is interesting
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704576204574529703577274572.html

This message was edited Jan 29, 2011 11:07 AM

Medina, OH

Linda-Thanks for starting up this thread. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is reading. Read The Road a few years ago. McCarthy is a true
wordsmith. I still count All The Pretty Horses as one of my favorites. Cutting for Stone was also good. It stayed with me for quite a while
after I closed it for the last time.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I just finished Mick. Never a fan of the rolling stones but did enjoy the book sitting under the screened porch fans. mick was a busy busy guy. how did all of that go one during the 70's and me miss it? That was my heyday! even Jackie O was a busy gal.

I recently read Cutting for Stone and liked it very much. Maube I'll try all the pre tty horses now.
I've seen multiple mentions about David Foster Wallace...anyone read his?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.