Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Books, Movies, and TV: my latest books read

Communities > Forums > Books, Movies, and TV
bookmark
Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 9, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 24, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8328222

THE PACT by jodi picoult
I liked it a lot--by the end it gave you a lot to think about and was "more" than what i had expected while reading it
the story line is a suicide pact between two teenagers where one dies and one does not--the mystery is if the death was a suicide or murder----a court case is involved---two very close families must now deal with the death of a daughter for the one family and the acusation of murder for the son of the other family--loyalties are tested--questions of "how could this happen to US" and "what could we have done/what did we do wrong?" come up--

the other book i just finished is RUN by ann patchett (same author of bel canto which i just loved)
i like this book a lot too---takes place in one day but of course in that one day we do a lot of looking back --story involves a unique boston family--father is former mayor who adopted 2 african american boys after having a son of his own 12 years earlier---an acident happens that changes the course of everyones life and roles are adjusted and life will never be the same but not all bad either

now i am ready to read CUTTING FOR STONE by abraham verghese

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8328464

I just finished Cutting for Stone and I liked it quite a lot. Much of it takes place in an area of the world I'm not too familiar with and so interesting to read about.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8334435

I picked up The Road by Cormac McCarthy- mostly to check it out as possible audiobook for DS. A father and young son are on their own in a post-apocalyptic USA. Movie was made with Viggo Mortenson as the dad.
So far so good- different.
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 28, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8335689

i liked the road a lot--very depressing tho-----

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8336610

About halfway now. And I can't imagine a happy ending, But his vocabulary and use of words is impressive, almost poetic.
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 29, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8336630

his use of punctuation too--is it the apostrophe he leaves out? i forget-
and he never uses the boys name

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8336678

Yes, no apostrophes. and you're right, I hadn't realized, never saw the boys name yet. Maybe the dad avoids it, trying to distance himself. Maybe it is not needed as there is no other boy to differentiate from.
http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/works/Default.htm
I got this site of his in looking for some kind of analysis just now.
Oh, he wrote No Country for Old Men also.

This interview article is interesting
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704576204574529703577274572.html

This message was edited Jan 29, 2011 11:07 AM
skeeler
Medina, OH

January 29, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8336800

Linda-Thanks for starting up this thread. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is reading. Read The Road a few years ago. McCarthy is a true
wordsmith. I still count All The Pretty Horses as one of my favorites. Cutting for Stone was also good. It stayed with me for quite a while
after I closed it for the last time.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

July 30, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9224158

I just finished Mick. Never a fan of the rolling stones but did enjoy the book sitting under the screened porch fans. mick was a busy busy guy. how did all of that go one during the 70's and me miss it? That was my heyday! even Jackie O was a busy gal.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9224396

I recently read Cutting for Stone and liked it very much. Maube I'll try all the pre tty horses now.
I've seen multiple mentions about David Foster Wallace...anyone read his?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America