Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Salad Burnet: why not?

Communities > Forums > Article: Salad Burnet
bookmark
Forum: Article: Salad BurnetReplies: 5, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 25, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8329314

As in why nothing was posted before this. I don't think that I have heard of that herb, but then I never noticed cucumber flavor in salad dressing. Interesting & instructional. That doesn't always go together.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 25, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8329422

Ive read about burnet before but Ive never run across this plant in any of the Southeastern areas I have trekked. It certainly would be a plant worth knowing to have the taste of cucumber in winter.

Thanks for another one, Sharran.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

January 25, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8330084

Very interesting. I have heard of burnet, but I've never tasted it.
I have a question for you, Sharran, concerning Aunt Bett's medicine: I just read an article in the Daily Mail (London) that claims some scientists have discovered that the juice of Euphorbia peplus, aka petty spurge or milkweed, can cure some non-melanoma skin cancers. I don't know if our native milkweed is Euphorbia peplus because I haven't looked it up yet. My question is did Aunt Bett have any medicinal use for common milkweed?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8330209

Hi ladies, I'm late coming to this party today.

Lucy and Gloria, thank you.
I haven't had it in a long time myself. I guess it just isn't a very popular plant.
I have seen it growing in the Land Between the Lakes here, but not in my yard or garden. Not sure why that is. Most wild plants end up in my yard.

Dolly...yes.
Milkweed was used for many many years by Native Americans for treating warts, ringworm, and poison ivy, so I expect it might be effective on skin cancers. The roots are toxic, so I don't know much about them at all, but I do know that ancient Native Americans used powdered root to treat asthma. Aunt Bett never did that because I suspect she knew the root was somewhat toxic.

Oh..if you ever taste burnet, be sure it is the very youngest leaves. Otherwise it will be bitter.

Thanks Ladies!
Snowing again here...bah!
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8330400

I was so excited to see this article. Burnet is one of the new herbs I'm planning on growing this year. Thank you for another interesting and informative article, Sharran.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8330421

Good for you, m2g! I think you will love it.

Funny how the 'old' becomes new again, I haven't thought of this plant in a long time, and now I'm craving it.
Let me know how it grows for you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Salad Burnet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting! adinamiti 2 Jan 26, 2011 7:49 AM
Interesting! aguy1947 1 Jan 31, 2011 8:10 AM
wildlife Fitsy 1 Jan 31, 2011 8:13 AM
Salad Burnet atlantiscats 1 Jan 31, 2011 9:46 AM
Perfect timing 3pmp 1 Jan 31, 2011 1:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America