Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Computer Talk: multiple emails

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 6, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8331351

Good morning- I hope someone can answer this: last night I received 10 copies of an email from a friend-(it was a reply to my email to her). There was no text in the text area, although she said she had written something. Below that was a warning from my Avast program- all it said was "incomplete message warning". This friend has had something going on for months where her computer sends multiple copies. She is fairly computer illiterate, and pretty naive. Has she picked up a trojan, virus, or what could be going on? She has McAfee, which is about to expire, and she thinks she has to pay big bucks for protection. I told her the free Avast takes good care of me. Could Facebook have anything to do with the problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks- Jo in WA

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8331890

Could you see that it was from her, being that her name was visible in the "from" area?
was there a topic line?

I've done a 'google' and it does seem something that can happen.

but each thread I've browsed, is slightly different.

so - it does look like it's possible.

i googled 'virus that sends blank emails'
I'm sure there are other queries that will bring up other threads...

I guess if she's not going to "pay" for McAfee ... get her using some good 'free stuff' including MalwareBytes and get her running scans to see what she can find.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8331996

The subject line was what I had put in- and the address was hers. I have already had her put malwarebytes on, and suggested Avast free, which is what I use, happily.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8332029

so, it was like she replied to your email, but it came back blank, 10 fold??

does sound like 'something' is going on.

hopefully doing some 'clean up' maintenance will find something.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8332110

yes, that's exactly it. And with her being so naive and gullible, I don't think anything will help for long. She says she gets many many forwarded emails that she doesn't like, but she is so afraid of hurting feelings by asking people to stop-- I told her it is a matter of survival- if you don't take steps to protect yourself you ars asking to be violated- I don't hesitate to let people know how I feel -

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8332184

when i get all those forwarded emails... i just delete them. I've only had to 'block' one person.
byt yes, it's an annoyance.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8332269

Unfortunately by the time we delete those annoying
forwarded e-mails, all the listed recipients already have
our own e-mail address.

I wish people would learn to create mailing lists that
include their desired recipients without revealing them
individually.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America