Photo by Melody

Antiques and Collectibles: Need help with a Nippon-type bowl...

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 8, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8331715

Hello All,

I bid on this bowl a few years ago in an estate sale. I thought it was extremely unusual that there was row of pale green "raised"/protruding beads of material in the bowl. One would think when it was washed/cleaned over the years that the beads would wear down to nothing...but that is not so. The only wear is the gold around the edge of the bowl. The outside/bottom mark of the bowl says it's "Royal Hinode Nippon".

Additionally, besides the intricate gold beads in the design of the bowl, in the center/bottom of the bowl there seems to be some really unusual pinkish/white marble oval areas too...which does not seem to be painted on.

I have 2 Nippon hard cover reference books with no pics of anything like this bowl. Can anyone help guide me to what it is...and maybe a rough value? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going nuts after spending oodles of hours searching...TIA :)

I am attaching 4 pics. This 1st one is the view of the whole bowl...

This message was edited Jan 26, 2011 3:14 PM

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8331718

This is the close-up of the raised beadwork...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise

SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8331727

The design at the bottom of the bowl...pinkish/white areas are definately not paint...maybe very thin slices of shell? Looks marble-like, but doesn't add weight to the bowl and so paper thin that the are isn't raised...scratching my head about that part...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise

SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8331728

Another view of the design along the side of the bowl...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8332006

Hi Susan -- If you have been looking online you no doubt have seen examples of this type of Royal Hinode moriage work with enameling as well as the prices it can command ... if it is the real deal. However, by the looks of the painting on this piece, I would say that it is either a reproduction or a very poor repaint job. Either way, it's value is very little.
SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8332255

Hello Carole,

Big Sad sigh...oh well. Hopefully it's at least a repro. Now that I look closely at the last pic, it really is a bad paint job. Live and learn I guess. I usually collect Fenton and Depression glassware. I'll stick to what I know.

From about a foot away while looking at it, the bowl looks awesome. I will remember to bring a magnifying glass with me in the future.

Thanks again :)

This message was edited Jan 27, 2011 10:09 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8332344

It's still beautiful! Enjoy it for the beauty it is.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8332415

[quote="SusanLouise"]

The outside/bottom mark of the bowl says it's "Royal Hinode Nippon".

[/quote]

SusanLouise - in the early 1900's, many of the larger producers of china produced blanks to be painted. This was not uncommon for Havilland, Dresden as well as Noritake china. This was a practice that was quite common for 'young ladies' in the early part of the last century.

I would enjoy the peice that you have. It is quite beautiful.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8332780

I've done the same thing over the years.

Yes, enjoy it. Especially if you love it. Nothing wrong with that. The colors are nice! Marks on pieces are quite often forged or reproduced also and are not an indication of authenticity unless they can be validated by an expert.

Edited to correct spelling.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2011 7:29 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America