Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Sweet Meadowsweet: meadowsweet

Communities > Forums > Article: Sweet Meadowsweet
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sweet MeadowsweetReplies: 4, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Benton, KY

January 26, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8332105

Sharon your description of your mountain makes me homesick. I do miss the mountains. I remember a path up the mountain just as you described. I also loved wild flowers. Don't remember the names of all of them but I loved to look and find them. Loved your article.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8332400

I sure hope you are staying in during all this up and down weather!! Hasn't it been crazy?
It's good to hear from you again, I've thought about you often.

I went back home to the mountains in June, and I almost stayed. There's something about them that calms me, soothes me. The roads have changed, houses have been built, but the mountains remain the same. The Mountain Laurel was in bloom, wild honeysuckle, too...it was so beautiful. I wanted to go back in the fall, but that wasn't to be. Maybe next fall.

Stay warm over there, it won't be long till spring!
We'll have to get together when we are sure we won't be caught in a 5 minute snowstorm, and thanks so much for writing.
Benton, KY

January 28, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8334710

So good to hear from you. I go back each June for our family reunion. The Mountain Laurel and honeysuckle are so beautiful. I miss the dog woods. What beautiful woods when they and the redbuds are in bloom. I keep remembering the evenings I spent on my mothers porch listening to the evening birds. I just found out a few months ago the name of them. They are the wood thrush. Look them up and listen to them. So beautiful. We would sit out until dark and then they were silent. They leave sometime in late june or early july. The mountains were almost silent after they leave. They stay at the top of the mountain and the most beautiful music from them. I just can't describe it. Wish I could. I see wood thrush here but I don't hear them sing in the late evening as I did in the mountains. The music is almost heartbreaking.

I would love to get together sometime this spring or summer. You stay warm also. I really do not like winter.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8334943

That's it, the wood thrush. I used to think when the lightening bugs came out they turned the bird music off!

Great memories.
Yes, we'll find a time and a place, just keep in touch!
Benton, KY

January 28, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8335217

Sure will.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sweet Meadowsweet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
your last sentence... fiwit 23 Jan 24, 2011 9:06 AM
Meadowsweet LAS14 7 Mar 28, 2011 8:20 PM
Special occasion flower 3pmp 1 Jan 24, 2011 11:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America