AuthorContent
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8332261

Hi,

This the third year I've been growing fuchsias, & my little sprouts have turned into healthy bushes, since I planted them in beds last summer. I wondering what kind of spring maintenance they need - ie. does one prune fuchsia's? When should I start fertilizing?

I know this may seem early, but here in CA, we're having spring-like weather - yes, I know it won't last - and I'm having surgery in a month, so need to do my "spring" gardening before then.

My plants look healthy, except for a few yellow leaves on the biggest one, and some have had some blooms through the winter.

If this has already been discussed, please point me to the right thread.

TIA.

Liz
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8335982

We're in the same zone and we've been having the same spring-like weather. Like you, I wondered if I ought to go ahead and give my first feeding of the year. Since so many of mine were already in bloom or never stopped blooming, I decided to go ahead and feed everything. I am just going to wait and see how the weather progresses (or not) before I do it again. Usually, I would feed every two weeks except during the winter. So I might wait four weeks before I do it again.
If you do cut this time of year, make sure it is on a warm day when the wounds will have time to dry closed. Otherwise diseases could get in. Rust can be a problem this time of year. Which causes the yellow leaves with spots just like on roses. Look under the leaves. It might be a good idea to spray with a general garden spray like "Ortho Garden Disease Control." It kills rust, mildew, mold, etc.
I hope you'll share some photos of your winter blooms!
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8338511

Thanks, once again, for your wonderful advice!

Guess I'll include my fuchsias, when I spray my roses & fruit trees - glad you mentioned that! I'm loving my fuchsias & will eventually take cuttings, but don't think I'll have time to baby new babies, right now, so it doesn't sound as if there's any need to prune.

I won't promise a picture, because I'm not very camera savvy... Thanks again!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America