Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Antiques and Collectibles: Old, vintage gardening tools.

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 23, Views: 293
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8334574

Hi, I have started a collection of gardening cans and like to use them too. Just wondering if anyone has other vintage pieces and how do you display them.
Thanks,
Teresa in KY

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8334746

Nice can. I love them! I can't find the picture of my old watering cans. Here's an old iron cobbler's bench and shoe forms that I have as garden art right now.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8334757

Found it!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
7:09 AM

Post #8334837

This old garden scythe is going out as a trellis for a vine in the Spring.

Another thing I'm planning to do is take 3 old/vintage long-handled garden shovels, stick the metal in the ground a bit and tie the tops of the handles together tee-pee style. Use as a pea or vine tee-pee/trellis.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8334859

Love the watering cans! I have a collection of them too, but only because my aunt had the foresight to collect them yrs ago. I have them all around the backyard in the summer.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
10:25 PM

Post #8336289

I should gather them up and take a group shot of my watering cans. I saw one pic in COUNTRY GARDENS magazine where they had them hanging on the outside of a potting shed. Cute idea but no shed yet. I would love to have one and a GH while I am dreaming :)

I am about 60 miles north of Clarksville. Nice town, I am out in rural Amish country here. We love to run down to shop and eat at Golden Corral or etc.

Teresa in KY

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8336291

Here is an old dinner bell that I came from my Dad's farm. I have a old iron wheel with a clematis on it too.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8336564

Kewl. Those are great! I have a big old iron pulley and an iron Deco ceiling light medallion lying out in the garden rusting gracefully.

When I had a shed I hung old tools and old windows on it. You can paint or decorate the window glass too.

Do you attend the KYRU? I'm hoping to make it this year. I don't know any other DGers around here close ... the nearest are in Nashville. :)

It's a bit difficult to see this old barn lightening rod amongst the roses.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8336591

This is an old churn or grinder without its innards. I use it out under the big white pine as a planter in the summer. Kindly disregard the impatiens that had just been eaten by the deer. ^_^

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8336795

I have gone to a couple of the RU in the last few years at KY Lake. I missed this past year.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8336855

I hope you will be able to be with us again this year, Teresa. I look forward to seeing you there also Carole. You gals decorate like I do. Maybe one of these days we can all get together and talk about our mutual interests. Try really hard to make it to roundup this year. We always have a ball.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8336891

That sounds like fun!

Here's the old iron pulley and light medallion (luv the old medallions) ... I stuck the old mail slot in the picture but you can't read that it says Letters due to the brightness of the sun. I have more sedums and semps on order and am going to use all these pieces with those.

I'll be quiet now. :-D

Oh the sun is out so brightly and the temperature is 55! Enjoy it while we can!!

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8337346

Hi, Ellen
It is good to hear from you, I hope you and all your family are well.
I do love my old glassware too. I am not downsizing but when I go to flea markets and antique shops I think really hard ...Do I really need this! LOL I think it is a blast just browsing.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8337404

We have the hardest time controlling ourselves when we are out junking. Gone are the days when I just buy what I like. Now I have to think it over carefully and have a real place to put it. I am totally out of room for anything unless I get rid of something else. I must find a place to sell many, many things so my kids won't have to clean out all of my unnecessary treasures when I go to the happy hunting grounds. Wait...I am a Baptist so I guess I won't go there but will go to heaven instead... or a smaller place even before that. Albert says he isn't going ANYWHERE. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8338339

As long as a bunch of my friends are posting here, here's the link to my thread about my new antique shop.
Bernie

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152279/
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8339338

Hi, Bernie
It is good to hear from you. I have been away from Daves for several months. Surgery, and other family drama playing out. Please pray for my sister Kay. I am taking her to Vanderbilt for chemo treatments. I will check out your link :)

Teresa
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8339361

Teresa, I am so sorry about your sister. Both of my sisters have been cancer victims. You may recall my telling everyone to pray for my younger sister. She is stage 4 and so far she is still alive after a bit over three years. She lives in Houston and goes to M.D Anderson. Please pray for her. Her name is Gail. I will pray for Kay. You might want to put her in the prayer forum here at DG and also over at "The Gathering Place" where I take care of the site for the Lord. Vandy is a good hospital. I have all my doctors there except my GP. I have had him for many years and he understands that I want everyone else at Vandy. I had to explain it to him early on however. Tee hee! Don't think he has ever had anyone who didn't want to be treated at the hospital he uses.

Prayer Requests link: http://thegatheringplacehome.myfastforum.org/forum10.php

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8340009

Vandy is where DH's neurologist is located.

I am enjoying this thread. It's different from T2T as the antique/vintage things remain as they are in form but take on new functions. ^_^
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8340353

I would love to get an old grinding wheel to use in the garden. I went a tad overboard with the dls but have hosta and other perennials too.

I have been working on adding pics to my dl list here is a link to what I grow.
http://plantstep.com/FlowerCatalog.psl?action=10416&Page=1&Date=01/31/11

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8340532

OMG ... chartreuse/lime is my favorite plant color ... especially with purple. So 'Alexa Katheryn' immediately caught me eye. LOL ... I didn't get past the first one. Love the one in your picture there too.

I'm sending you dmail. ^_^
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8425905

Well, I went shopping in Hazel this week. I found 2 new McCoy planters that had my name on them. Just had to bring them home because the store owner was ready to bargain!
Also bought my sisiter a occupied Japan girl. She collects those. Isn't it just horrible about the earthquake and other disasters!
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8426032

I have some antique tools that are in great condition and I plan on sing them. However they are very rusted. Any suggestions on how to make them like new again. I definitely want to use them this summer.;

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8426059

No picture?? ^_^

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8426067

Oops cross-posted.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America