Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Looking for Possible ID...Oriental vase

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 14, Views: 183
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8334849

'Saw the thread on the Oriental bowl and am wondering if anyone can ID this vase. (If it turns out to be a funeral urn of some sort...just say you don't know what it is...okay?) There's intricate gold beading "halos" around the figures. The marking on the bottom of the vase is in Japanese. To the left of the woman is a flying dragon. She seems to be walking on water. Vase is about 8" tall.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8334851

Other side of vase...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8334928

Can you get a shot of the mark on the bottom?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8334941

My camera doesn't want to cooperate. I even tried to take it outside. I may be able to 'draw' it...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8335150

It looks to be a very nice piece. I know it's not Imari but I don't know eactly what it is ... Satsuma maybe? Perhaps you can noodle around over here to see if you can spot anything similar or a similar type of mark maybe:

http://www.jcollector.com/Japanese-Porcelain-s/60.htm?searching=Y&sort=3&cat=60&minprice=1000&show=60
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8335270

Here's one...hope you can enlarge it...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8335274

I had my neighbor's son take pics with his fancy camera and e-mail 'em to me! I'll check out the website, thanks.

I think you're right. It looks like it may be Satsuma. I may make a run to the library...

This message was edited Jan 28, 2011 1:52 PM

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8335367

Could have some value and be a nice find for you if it's in good condition with no cracks or repairs. It's truly lovely. How tall is the vase?

I was going to say that it looks a bit like a funeral urn ... LOL ... just kidding. :-)
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8335454

It's 8" tall...and there's no cracks or repairs that I can see.
As for funeral urn...very funny!!!! I once told a hairdresser that I had had a dream that seemed so real about me standing at the bottom of the stairs and seeing a little blond headed boy about 8 yrs old dart from the attic to my bedroom. He stopped at the head of the stairs and looked down at me for a second. I said I was so scared when I woke up, I couldn't move...it was so real. And I didn't know any blond boys. (It was years before my blond grandson was born and he's only 5 now). She said "it might be the ghost of someone that was attached to some of the old stuff we had stored in the attic." Of all days to tell me that...DH was out of town and I was home alone that week. I hardly slept until he got home. Anyway, now anytime we hear a noise or something falls...we blame it on the stuff in the attic!!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8335475

Yikes! No, it looks like a vase, just a vase. :-)

That mark looks like the real deal. I hope so. Where did you get the vase, if you don't mind me asking? If you'd rather not say, that's okay.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8335678

It was a Xmas gift years ago from my aunt (that collected all the stuff in my attic). When we were in Hawaii, I picked up things with Chinese dragons (as opposed to English dragons) on them. She remembered that and gave me the vase because of the dragon on it. I don't know where she got it. She lived in New Mexico and had many friends that also traveled. I would never sell it, but it would be nice to know what it is.

Update: I ran over to the library to see if there was a book on Satsuma. The reference librarian asked me if she could help me find what I was searching for on their computer. She looked through our library, then Amazon for a ref. book which she found, then searched libraries across their system for that title and found one book in El Paso and one in Amarillo. 'Said they'd borrow it and I'd have it within a week. Took 10 minutes... I'll let you know what I find. I sure hope it's Satsuma...or I'm going to have to go back to the library and start all over!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8440447

Further Update: I finally received the library book I requested...Imari and Satsuma...and Other Japanese Export Ceramics by Nancy Schiffer. They found the book in Houston. Got it two days ago...took a little longer than a week!!!

The vase is definitely Kyoto Satsuma. (Not a funeral vase, either...). Guess I'll have to find someone who can read the mark on the bottom. There were some identified marks in the back of the book, but I couldn't positively match any of them to mine. I really tried too. Have the book until Ap 12th, so I'll keep looking.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8440598

Good to know. :-)
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8440614

I have you to thank for setting me on the right trail!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8440877

Aw, Sandi, I just pointed in the general direction but you've done all the work. :-D

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America