Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Sympathy for the Devil's Walkingstick, Aralia spinosa: The devil you know

Communities > Forums > Article: Sympathy for the Devil's Walkingstick, Aralia spinosa
bookmark
Forum: Article: Sympathy for the Devil's Walkingstick, Aralia spinosaReplies: 1, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ForestRose
Rochester, WA

January 29, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8336362

Thanks to Sally Miller for the article on Aralia spinosa. I am currently writing a research paper on Oplopanax horridus (devil's club), a native of the Pacific Northwest. I had been told that it was sometimes confused with Aralia spinosa, but after reading the article and seeing the images, I find that hard to credit. Yes, they are both tall, rangy shrubs with spiny stems, but there the similarity ends. O. horridus has broad palmate (up to 15 inch diameter) leaves rather than tripinnately compound ones. The two plants may look similar when defoliated, but certainly not in full foliage! O.horridus also bears upright pyramidal clusters of greenish-white blossoms 3 to 6 inches long that are followed by bright red shiny berries. It really is a handsome plant, and extremely useful medicinally. Perhaps when I am finished with my paper I may share some of it if anyone is interested.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8336588

Thank you for writing.
I agree the similarity is minor, although for the "uninitiated" I guess that is enough. Devil's club sounds just as interesting, if not more than, Walkingstick.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sympathy for the Devil's Walkingstick, Aralia spinosa Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A devil to watch for grampapa 0 Oct 31, 2008 10:51 AM
Great plant - needs right place ViburnumValley 4 Aug 24, 2013 4:54 PM
One of my favorite Trees MitchF 1 Oct 31, 2008 10:32 PM
Wonderful Article HollyAnnS 2 Nov 1, 2008 12:47 AM
No thanks Sundownr 1 Nov 1, 2008 11:55 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America