Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Bearing Mineola tangelo tree

Longboat Key, FL

I am old.

My family loves Mineola tangelo oranges.

Where can I buy a bearing tree -- a large one? Locally.

(o_O)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Call one of the growing nurseries in your area and ask them to order one for you - I've done this before.

Longboat Key, FL

How big a tree were you able to get?

Be well

(o_O)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

3-gallon size.

Longboat Key, FL

I am looking for a 35 gallon -- or larger

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

Well, I managed!

And, I learned a little.

First -- it is not a Mineola -- it is a Minneola.

And it's a "tangelo" not a type of orange.

And I was able to get a 30 gallon size. Six feet tall with about a 1 1/2 inch caliper.

A few buds are peeking out -- so I have high hopes.

It is already in the ground -- and sucking up our (uggghhhhh) Florida weather.

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

In all its (chilly) glory.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Its a beauty. I love the minneola. They have a unique shape to the fruit and great taste.

Longboat Key, FL

Now if it starts bearing.

Be well

(o_O)

I just saw one about that size at our local nursery. It is full of fruit at well. It was around 135.oo though lol. Kinda pricey but fruiting.

Longboat Key, FL

Just think -- in a couple of years it'll have paid for itself.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

Maybe.

The buds are budding -- and the bees are in the area -- so, maybe next week the action will commence.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I have a question for all of you Florida gardeners. I live in Massachusetts, but we are in the process of buying a home in Florida. I get this great catalog from Logee's and the first thing I want to buy when we move in are citrus trees, so I looked in the catalog last night and they have everything I wanted: Honeybell tangelo, blood orange, meyer's lemon, key lime. But they all said no shipping to CA, FL, TX and one other state. All the states that have commercial citrus crops. Does anyone know why you can't order from out of state? and Flyboy was it difficult to find your tangelo at a local nursery?

Grant Valkaria, FL(Zone 9b)

Quote from cindyeo :
I have a question for all of you Florida gardeners. I live in Massachusetts, but we are in the process of buying a home in Florida. I get this great catalog from Logee's and the first thing I want to buy when we move in are citrus trees, so I looked in the catalog last night and they have everything I wanted: Honeybell tangelo, blood orange, meyer's lemon, key lime. But they all said no shipping to CA, FL, TX and one other state. All the states that have commercial citrus crops. Does anyone know why you can't order from out of state? and Flyboy was it difficult to find your tangelo at a local nursery?

Most every nursery and garden center in Florida stocks citrus. In the Melbourne, Fl area on 23 April 2011, the Brevard Rare Fruit Council's annual fruit tree sale takes place. About 20 varieties of citrus, as well as mango, lychee, longan and another 30+ fruit tree varieties go on sale.

Longboat Key, FL

cindyeo:

FishMang is correct.

But as regards Minneola tangelos, Record Buck Farms (near Orlando) seems to be the best grower. I know that they have them up to 45 gallon containers. They sell and deliver only to the trade -- but everyone, even Home Depot, can and does special-order from them.

I settled for a 30 gallon size. In apology, I am pretty mature (read: OLD) so I need instant gratification. The 30 is easier to handle than the 45 -- and they both seem capable of putting forth fruit, immediately.

Be well

(o_O)

The blossoms on mine are open -- and the bees are already busy with them.

cindeyo, Make sure to check those citrus in the Logees catalog. Many of them are rooted cuttings not grafted citrus. It is much better to get a grafted tree because they are grown on a hardier and more disease resistant rootstock. I had 2 different Buddah's hands and a citron from Logees and they both didn't survive the winter even though they were kept frost free.(Lived in a different state then, Logees does not ship citrus to FL). They will get root rot very easily if on thier own rooted cutting vs a grafted roostock. If it is a kind you really want, then you could try growing it and later take cuttings to graft on another tree or your own seed grown hardy rootstock. Another thing to consider is that you aren't legally supposed to bring citrus into or out of FL last I heard, unless things have changed.

Miami, FL

It really depends on where you live in Florida as to successfully growing citrus. In Miami-Dade county, since 2005, we've been hit with the Citrus Greening disease. It is a bacterial disease, spread by an insect, which kills citrus trees! I had 13 trees, 2005 came, 3 of my trees got the disease and since then, the rest have been killed. If you want to successfully have citrus trees, don't move to this county!

Longboat Key, FL

Uggghhh

(o_O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.