Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Florida Gardening: Bearing Mineola tangelo tree

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 17, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 29, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8336878

I am old.

My family loves Mineola tangelo oranges.

Where can I buy a bearing tree -- a large one? Locally.

(o_O)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8337006

Call one of the growing nurseries in your area and ask them to order one for you - I've done this before.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 29, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8337097

How big a tree were you able to get?

Be well

(o_O)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8337223

3-gallon size.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

January 29, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8337283

I am looking for a 35 gallon -- or larger

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 7, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8359826

Well, I managed!

And, I learned a little.

First -- it is not a Mineola -- it is a Minneola.

And it's a "tangelo" not a type of orange.

And I was able to get a 30 gallon size. Six feet tall with about a 1 1/2 inch caliper.

A few buds are peeking out -- so I have high hopes.

It is already in the ground -- and sucking up our (uggghhhhh) Florida weather.

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 8, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8361124

In all its (chilly) glory.

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8361536

Its a beauty. I love the minneola. They have a unique shape to the fruit and great taste.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 9, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8362479

Now if it starts bearing.

Be well

(o_O)
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8369650

I just saw one about that size at our local nursery. It is full of fruit at well. It was around 135.oo though lol. Kinda pricey but fruiting.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 13, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8369808

Just think -- in a couple of years it'll have paid for itself.

Be well

(o_O)

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

February 28, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8398216

Maybe.

The buds are budding -- and the bees are in the area -- so, maybe next week the action will commence.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cindyeo
Duxbury, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8398549

I have a question for all of you Florida gardeners. I live in Massachusetts, but we are in the process of buying a home in Florida. I get this great catalog from Logee's and the first thing I want to buy when we move in are citrus trees, so I looked in the catalog last night and they have everything I wanted: Honeybell tangelo, blood orange, meyer's lemon, key lime. But they all said no shipping to CA, FL, TX and one other state. All the states that have commercial citrus crops. Does anyone know why you can't order from out of state? and Flyboy was it difficult to find your tangelo at a local nursery?
FishMang
Grant Valkaria, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8398917

cindyeo wrote:I have a question for all of you Florida gardeners. I live in Massachusetts, but we are in the process of buying a home in Florida. I get this great catalog from Logee's and the first thing I want to buy when we move in are citrus trees, so I looked in the catalog last night and they have everything I wanted: Honeybell tangelo, blood orange, meyer's lemon, key lime. But they all said no shipping to CA, FL, TX and one other state. All the states that have commercial citrus crops. Does anyone know why you can't order from out of state? and Flyboy was it difficult to find your tangelo at a local nursery?

Most every nursery and garden center in Florida stocks citrus. In the Melbourne, Fl area on 23 April 2011, the Brevard Rare Fruit Council's annual fruit tree sale takes place. About 20 varieties of citrus, as well as mango, lychee, longan and another 30+ fruit tree varieties go on sale.

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 1, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8399871

cindyeo:

FishMang is correct.

But as regards Minneola tangelos, Record Buck Farms (near Orlando) seems to be the best grower. I know that they have them up to 45 gallon containers. They sell and deliver only to the trade -- but everyone, even Home Depot, can and does special-order from them.

I settled for a 30 gallon size. In apology, I am pretty mature (read: OLD) so I need instant gratification. The 30 is easier to handle than the 45 -- and they both seem capable of putting forth fruit, immediately.

Be well

(o_O)

The blossoms on mine are open -- and the bees are already busy with them.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8401236

cindeyo, Make sure to check those citrus in the Logees catalog. Many of them are rooted cuttings not grafted citrus. It is much better to get a grafted tree because they are grown on a hardier and more disease resistant rootstock. I had 2 different Buddah's hands and a citron from Logees and they both didn't survive the winter even though they were kept frost free.(Lived in a different state then, Logees does not ship citrus to FL). They will get root rot very easily if on thier own rooted cutting vs a grafted roostock. If it is a kind you really want, then you could try growing it and later take cuttings to graft on another tree or your own seed grown hardy rootstock. Another thing to consider is that you aren't legally supposed to bring citrus into or out of FL last I heard, unless things have changed.
amygirl
Miami, FL

March 17, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8431922

It really depends on where you live in Florida as to successfully growing citrus. In Miami-Dade county, since 2005, we've been hit with the Citrus Greening disease. It is a bacterial disease, spread by an insect, which kills citrus trees! I had 13 trees, 2005 came, 3 of my trees got the disease and since then, the rest have been killed. If you want to successfully have citrus trees, don't move to this county!

flyboyFL

flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

March 17, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8432109

Uggghhh

(o_O)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America