Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What are these??????????

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcf
Brooklet, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2001
6:22 PM

Post #15471

I found this flower growing beside the road. It grows from the bulb shown and all the flowers were red. What are these. The flower is atop a stem about 1 foot tall and only the flower is on the stem.

Thumbnail by jcf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2001
6:38 PM

Post #142745

Looks like a spider or suprise lily to me. Try looking up Lycoris.
Michele
perLite
Petaluma, CA

October 8, 2001
8:01 PM

Post #142804

Perhaps L. radiata, or L. sanguinea?
jcf
Brooklet, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2001
8:34 PM

Post #142836

Thanks both of you. It is lycoris radiata. We found this growing in an old medium in a county road. To get it up my hubby used a tire iron because we did not have a shovel with us. lol. hey it worked!
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2001
11:57 AM

Post #143182

O Janet, Aren't these wonderful! I started off with 2-3 last year and this year I have 11 of them! They are all blooming right now and they are sooo pretty. The weird thing about them is after the bloom dies, that is when you will see the foilage start growing! I thought it was strange that it simply popped up out of the ground with no foilage whatsoever. I guess that is why most people call them "surprise lily" You will have plenty next year!!
Mollybee
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 9, 2001
12:40 PM

Post #143204

Janet, cute story I have to share. We were taking a short trip one year, and saw a whole batch of these on the side of the road. He really really wanted them but we didn't have anything to dig them up with. We talked about going back, blah blah, but never did. The next week we had about 6 pop up in our yard, and we had been here 12 years, so I know they weren't there before. He gets excited about them every year, he looks at them like his little gift from God. Only had one this year, I better trade for some next year:)
Oldest son was home last weekend, and came around the house, and hollered "what's this" don't you love saying "surprise lily, are you..."
LOL!! okay, I'll get more coffee...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America