Iris reticulata Gordon blooming.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

It was a beatiful day in GA today, 68* and sunny. I decided to do some yard clean up and found that my iris reticulata Gordon is blooming. These were just planted last fall, it's been freezing here for months, and today was the warmest day that I can remember in a long time.
The bloom time reported on the package stated that this iris is an early bloomer, which was listed as April. It just goes to show that Mother Nature is in control and these bulbs will bloom whenever they want, freezing weather, snow, freezing rain or whatevever!!!!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

My iris reticulata always come up in the winter - late February generally.

From the photo, you tell there is nothing else growing. They are healthy little suckers, that need no care. I usually have trouble finding them if I want to dig them up to move. The flowers are only about 4 or 5 inches high at most. Their hollow, triangular shaped tube leaves are usually yellow or brown at the very tips and continue to grow quite long after the blooms are gone.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice picture Cathy166:-)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Cem9165, Mine routinely start blooming the second week in March depending on the cultivar and continuing opening up and making me smile for about a month. I don't have a good sense of which are the earliest as it seems to change each year. These are the named ones in the garden. I can't wait to see as they come out often before the crocus, so I loved seeing yours already out down south. Patti

Alida
Cantab
Clairette
Edward
Frank Elder
George
Gordon
Halkis
Harmony
J.S. Dijt
Joyce
Katharine Hodgkin
Lady Beatrix Stanley
Marguerite
Natascha
Pauline
Pixie
Purple Gem
Spring Time

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Bbrookrd, I now have iris envy:-). I've also got Cantab that I put in in 2009, love your selection.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images