Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Antique Shop

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 65, Views: 704
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8338334

We are going to pay the first months rent on a store building today. It will become an antique shop.
I hope to open by mid May.
This will be a picture progress thread. So updates often, I hope.
Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8338348

Great idea, Bernie. Wishing you the best of luck. Keep us up to date with pictures, ok?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8338580

Will be watching for the pictures. :-)
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8338673

Will be watching as antiques are special.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8338786

I am excited for you !! Best of luck !!!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8338804

Good for you! How fun that would be but I would want to keep too much merchandise and would starve.

How will you keep it open and still do the farmers markets in your spare time? LOL
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8339030

Wonderful!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8339156

I like helping my kids out. My son is 50/50 with me in the cabinet shop & garden business.
This is for my daughter. Her & my wife will be covering the hours. Daughter will pretty much be running the business.
We found there is more room than we thought, so may rent out some booth space, too.

Here are some "before" pictures.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8339159

Other direction in same room.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8339160

One of the back rooms. I tore this wall out today.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8339164

Front of the building.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8339173

I wish I had the time to restore it. Above the suspended ceiling is a beautiful tin ceiling.
We will see how it goes. Maybe next winter it could be done.

I got quite a bit done today.

Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8339235

That is AWESOME! Keep the pictures coming. You have a treasure there, Bernie. Think I will move to your town!!!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8339396

I can just see the possibilites there!! And a tin ceiling?! Oooooohhhhhh!!! You have a treasure of a building there Bernie!!!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8340012

Very cool ... especially the old tin ceiling.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8340347

The tin ceiling is a hidden treasure! Here is my relative's site. She sells on ebay too.
http://www.visitohiocountyky.org/shops.html

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8340494

Nice. I have things on consignment here:

http://www.trailsrus.com/antiques/lakes/dawspr.html
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8340547

Both of those shops look great. What sort of fee do they charge for handling your mdse? I have to decide soon what to do with all my treasures. There are lots of options so I want to examine all possibilities first before making decisions that are set in concrete.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8340565

20% ... which is good, but the small towns don't get a lot of traffic through them sometimes.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8340578

We are toying with renting out booth space.
I had one in a shop for a while. My little spot was $35 a month + a %, but can't remember what it was.
I have a room that is 9ft by 17 ft I am thinking $50 per month, no %. But I would have them cover some hours as clerk. Maybe 1 day a week.
Bernie

P.S. Elena, load up a truck & come on up here, we will get rid of your things!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8340601

Bernie, you are just too darn far away!!!! I could sure work with you on lots of things if you didn't live on the other end of the world from me! LOL! Ya never can tell though. I am looking over all the options right now and I will put that in the hopper. We have lots of the bigger things that need some work for sure before selling them. It would be crazy to store them all these years and then not fix them. I am starting to analyze all that as soon as we get this living room project done. Still thinking on the best solutions to many things!!!! Wish we hadn't put so much off till we got so darned old!!!!!! That is what we have to work with though. Old age planning!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8342222

Bernie, this is going to be wonderful! You will be riding on your own name, so folks who bought produce will have to come in and snoop around! I would :o) It has a beautiful store front.

Yep, the tin ceiling is a real treasure and would boost the value of the building. Maybe tear the suspended out now and have it done before the store gets full?

I love how you tore a wall out already. I got a big smile over that!
I think it's all wonderful and look forward to the pictures too :o)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 5, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8355171

I am impressed by your diverse enterprises! Good luck!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8410965

We've been busy getting the place in shape. I am now in the process of putting up shelves & unpacking inventory.
I am making new price tags for everything. Lots of items need cleaning, so this is a slow process.
Here's a couple pictures taken today.
Bernie

This is one wall with some painted plates, etc.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8410967

This wall will be depression glass.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8410973

This is the unpacking room.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2011
1:22 AM

Post #8411283

Gosh! It all looks so nice. I wish I could be there as your first customer. :-)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2011
2:44 AM

Post #8411309

It does take time, that's for sure. Looking good.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8411507

It surely is looking good, Bernie. I am excited for you as this looks like it is going to be a really cool adventure. I am like the others and wish I could be there for your grand opening. Those shelves are really fantastic. You did a super job on them.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8411942

I collect McCoy vases, Bernie and would like to start getting a few Roseville, Lilly pieces. I like so much glassware. Have a collecting of Blueridge crabapple, madrid amber depression glass, some primitives. Love, love, love antiques.
Wish I was closer, I would drop in.

Teresa
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8412130

Me too, Teresa. Guess it is a good thing I can't drop in however since I haven't got another inch of room left to put anything else here in my home.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 7, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8412157

Teresa, I have an 8 place setting of Amber Madrid packed away some where. It will be displayed on a nice big round oak table.
All you KY/TN people could charter a bus & tour here in the summer.

Staying home & building cabinets today & most of this week. My DD is making up tags. She is a lot better on the keyboard than I am.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8412656

I no longer collect anything...but...DUST...got a nice colllection of that going for me. LOL JO
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8412673

roadrunner another nice thing about collecting dust is that you can display ity anywhere - no need to buy a special cabinet for it.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8413014

Right now my biggest collection is being shown in my double bookcase as you enter the front door...some nerd ran their fingers through one shelf and now I have to dust and start all over...Jo
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8413053

bluegrassmom we also collect Roseville. We got ours a long time ago so I suspect that they are pretty expensive now. We have about five or six pieces. I will post one to show you. Cannot find pictures of the rest! Does anyone here collect Russion Laquer Boxs?

Thumbnail by mableruth

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2011

Post #8413206

Mable...that is a very pretty piece...I used to have one Roseville...and a few McCoys...Jo
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8413610

Jo, I thought you also collected chocolate and DG Roundup friends!!!!!!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
2:05 AM

Post #8413741

We have a great old fashioned fleamarket in Greenville, KY called Lukes. They have buildings with fenders that are there year round but also about 200-300 fender outside on Tuesday. On holidays they are also open on Monday. You can find a rabbit or puppy. Glassware or tools. I have gottens some great finds there. Some folks drive in from TN, and IN to set up. I have set up a few times and did ok just hate packing and unpacking stuff.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8413866

Jo, glad to see you posting! You don't know how many people fretted over you and your wrist :o)

Bernie, it looks great!!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8414051

Elena...Chocolates get gone to quick to be a collection...but DGFriends are forever...

I do thank all of you for the prayers...I am now in therapy and still have some spots that hurt like heck> Jo
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8414067

Bluegrassmom, do you happen to know what the charge is to set up there? Maybe I can call someone to find out all the particulars. I am not ready to do that yet but sometime before next winter, I will be. We are doing some in house remodeling now, working on reclaiming our yard after the storm destroyed the huge tree, the wooden fence and much of my back yard, getting ready to replace the roof and Lord only knows what all before we start cleaning the attic and barns. Man! I would have never started remodeling if we had known the storm was going to destroy our yard. Thanks for telling us about Lukes.

Jo, I hope your wrist is doing ok. I hope and pray it won't give you a lot of arthritis pain.

Bernie, keep the pictures coming. We love them.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8414089

mableruth, I have a couple of the lacquer boxes that I bought in Russia years ago, but I haven't added to my very small collection. They are lovely, IMHO. Do you collect them?

LOL about the dust "collections". I most definitely have one of those here.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8414252

The charge has been $3.00 for each table. It would be worth the trip I bet. I take someone with me when I set up and then I get to shop too :)
Jo, glad you are better!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8414303

Thanks very much for that info. I think that sounds like the best price I have heard of anywhere. Usually they want your right arm and a leg for letting you use a table. Since I don't drive any longer, I will be taking my dearly beloved or rather he will be taking me. By the time we get ready to go gas may be up to $100 a gallon however. Time will tell whether it is a bargain or not. LOL
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8414592

Hey, let me know when you might come. If I am off I will come over. I never know my schedule ahead of time. The holiday Mon and Tuesday are huge! I might set up beside you :) I have sold a bunch of dayliles there when they are blooming. Just take my noids. Most folks there don't mind when they see a pretty bloom.
Teresa
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8414610

Yes we have a collection of Russian Boxes. We knew a woman that would go there and sell over here in the back of a bank - really. Then my girlfriend went to Russian to meet the artists. The places the artists come from are small towns that are very poor. After they stayed there a few days, the town had a feast for them. Every person in the village contributed and for them it was a very expensive meal. It was very touching. Of course she bought some boxes while she was there so we bought some from her as well. The story about these boxes is amazing. I had heard that often the artists use one hair from a squirrels tail. I was very seceptical about this untill my girlfriend got back and confirmed it. It is a long process. Another hobby I have is collecting miniatures. Every year there is a large show by Tom Bishop Preductions. One year I went there and there was a woman selling them inminiature. After talkng with her I learned that she had also gone to Russia and had the boxes made in scale for miniatures. They are wonderful.

Thumbnail by mableruth

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8415136

Teresa, you might have noticed my posts about having to clean out our two barns, our attic and a barn I have at my daughter's house that we own. I have collected for years and am ready to get rid of things that don't fit into my decorating scheme any longer. Many things we will have to fix. Fix means everything from repairing, painting, adding to, and all that jazz. In other words, I want everything to be in the best condition. That is going to take TIME. If I have sentimental things that belonged to my grandmother or mother, I will get rid of something in the house to make room for those and they will need loving care also. I think we have a huge job on our hands getting this done. When we get the new roof on the house because the storm ruined it a couple of weeks ago, the huge tree cut up that is in my disaster of a yard, the old wooden fence cleaned up and a new one built, the redoing of the inside home improvements completed, then we will start on the inventory job. We had no idea that we would have a storm or we would have never started a re-decorating job. The living room is totally painted now (Albert did that), the floor is refinished, the oriental rug is back from the cleaners, and we are set to put everything back in place. Gotta get the rug straight on the felt pad though. It is as crooked now as a dog's hind leg. Our guy comes Friday to rip off the top of my kitchen counter. They come Saturday to put on the granite top if it doesn't rain. Hubby is refinishing the cabinets and the contractor has made new doors and drawer fronts for everything. Hubby is staining and varnishing them. When all that is done, we start on the bathroom. Sigh!!!!! We are getting there in baby steps but at least it is a start.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8415153

Teresa, I will most assuredly let you know when we are ready to head to the flea market. That is if we are still alive by then. In other words, if all of this doesn't kill both of us. LOL The picture will show you part of what we are dealing with in the back yard. That is one of my barns that is filled to the brim with my treasures. Wish I had a way to turn it into a shop. Oh well!

Thumbnail by Elena

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 8, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8415200

Looks like no shade plants in that area for a while. When did this storm hit ? I know there was bad weather all over the south but didn't realize it hit you guys.
Sounds like you are very busy redoing your house. We'll have to check it out when we come down for RU.
Bernie
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8415328

Bernie...If I were you I'd bring a moving van to the RU and go by Nashville and free up Al and Elena of some of their Treasures...you could fill your new shop to the rafters...
(I sure hope they are through with all this work if I get to come their way in Sept!}

Jo
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2011

Post #8415341

Oh my I did know about your damages. I hope your family is helping out too. Sounds like a big job! Glad that you two are ok. Treasures can be replaced people can't.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8415563

It hit us on Thursday night two weeks ago. It was such an errie thing. That tornado sound is something I won't ever forget. It came and went so fast that there wasn't time to do anything. It dipped down in a very small area and then moved on. It is unbelievable how it looks all over our little subdivision. It is going to take a long time for everyone to get the damage cleared up. You wouldn't believe all of the huge trees that were uprooted.

Here is a picture of the yard directly behind us and part of our wooden fence and it is pretty typical. Our fence is gone in this spot. We had just let our granddaughter have our dog that she loves dearly so for the first time in over fifty years we were dogless. That is a welcome relief that we didn't have to run right out and build a fence to contain a dog.

Thumbnail by Elena

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8415572

To give you an idea of the height of this tree's roots, here are my two grandsons having fun at the disaster site.
This is just the other side of my back fence or should I say, where my fence used to be? I am so glad it didn't fall into my yard. Albert is going to be forever getting ours chopped much less trying to cut on that huge one hundred year old tree.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2011 11:27 PM

Thumbnail by Elena

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 8, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8415717

Good grief, a tornado! No wonder there was so much damage. You're lucky you didn't lose everything, they can be so bad.
One 50 miles from here last summer, went across farmland. It was a mile wide & was on the ground for around 20 miles. Took out almost ever building in it's path. Even large Harvester silos were toppled. You can still see the mess, as a lot isn't cleaned up & might never be. Old groves & tree lines in fields. Even Spruce trees along the interstate are still laying where they went over.

I wish I was close so I could give you a hand cleaning up.
Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8415751

Thank you, Bernie. Thankfully Albert is still strong although he will be celebrating his 80th birthday at the KY roundup this year. He can still do more work than you can imagine. I think it is because he does keep working and doesn't lie around watching TV all the time.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2011
3:22 AM

Post #8415875

My Dad will be 90 in August. He and Mom are still on the farm. He is getting more feeble but still has a veggie garden,loves coleus, and annuals,mows, has 15 angus. We help out when we can.
He is one to stay busy too. It must work lol
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8416974

My dad made it to over 90 before cancer got him. He was amazing as he continued doing almost everything he had ever done almost to the end. Sitting around doing nothing is definitely not good for the health. Couch potatoes aren't doing themselves any favor with the lifestyle they lead.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8417829

Jo, it's not an easy thing to heal. Prayers for you!

Elena, my sympathies for the mess the storm caused! I'm so glad it didn't hit your house!

How wonderful for those reaching their 90's!

My Dad will be 82 in May. He grew up in the melon patch and still plants and hoes black gumbo dirt! You're right Elena!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8417941

Black gumbo???? Where does he live?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8423693

Dad lives in the lower south end of Nichols. I still remember him turning our part acre with the tractor and how jelly like and black the dirt was. His cracks in the dirt will get at least 13'' deep in dry weather. The dirt turns to ''impossible to break'' clods. It's clay, but black clay. I call it gumbo. I may be mistaken on the definition. When you leave Nichols and head East, it's blow sand. That's the dirt my Dad grew melons and potatoes in when he was a kid, 1/12 miles out of town.

I am on the higher end of Nichols and have sandier dirt. I also added compost and leaves and turned it under yearly till I got in the habit of only turning my rows. Now DD has horse manure so I try to turn it in in the Fall.

Nichols was originally a swamp, long ago, and sits at the bottom of a nice bluff, North West and South of us.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8424082

Thanks for the explanation about the soil. Black gumbo doesn't sound too good. Thankfully I don't have that. I turned under leaves for many years. Have pretty much gotten too lazy to do that any longer. We used to collect the leaves that had been raked by several of our neighbors and put in bags. They would put them in the back of their houses for us to pick up. That was how we built our soil for years.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8424610

Black Gumbo is great stuff to grow in. It's just a matter of learning how to use it. I just have more reddish clay and it does the same thing. Add lots of compost and treat it good it will reward you. :~)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8424832

We all have to learn how to make the soil we have work for us. It is just so different in different parts of the country.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8425757

The good about "black gumbo" is it's full of nutrients. If he had amended the soil over the last 54 years he would have had fine dirt!

Pepper, you took the words out of my mouth before I got to your post, LOL!

Elena, I sure can tell when I've let the garden go for a few years. It hardens up.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 14, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8425863

New thread;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1164424/

Lets talk only antiques, please.

Bernie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America