Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: when to plant collard greens.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
skooltcher
Lancaster, CA

January 30, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8339388

i plan on growing collard greens this season. when is the best time to start them from seed. i live in southern california in the high desert. how about okra as well?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8339449

Collards are best as a fall/winter vegetable. Flavor does really develop until the plants are hit with light freezes. Okra is a hot weather vegetable that needs temps above 80 degrees.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8340630

I would plant my colards immediately. They like the cool weather . Normally we plant our greens in Sept. but Calif. has nice weather. As for the Okra, it is diffinitely a hot weather crop & needs to be planted in May or june.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8346928

My greens are all laying down. I think they froze. Its been 22 degrees here in Texas. Someone says its good for them to get a freeze. You didn't say they could also die.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8346965

Uh, generally the cole crops like cabbages can take it down to around 35 and above. I've had my collards out as low as 32 overnight and they love it around 38-45. Mustards are more tender than collards so my cutoff for them is around 45-40 degrees.

The operative is "how LONG" the cole crops remain out in those sustained temperatures:
►A couple hours below 30 degrees overnight, no problem.
►More than a couple hours below 30 degrees, throw a sheet over them
►Sustained temps below 30 degrees for more than a couple back to back days, no problem with some protective covering (water the leaves down before covering, and make sure the cover doesn't touch the leaves or they'll burn when they touch).
►More than a couple days below freezing for an extended period of time (say more than 4 solid days with no break in the freeze from the warming sun), and I'D freeze too...

Linda
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8351805

This winter has been as low as 10 degrees with consistent temps in the low 20's. Collards are still trucking along altho most of them have been harvested. They do freeze and look very droopy, but when it warms up a bit, they perk up and go again. As long as the ground does not freeze to any depth, they will be fine. Broccoli survived but is not robust. Surprising was the Japanese mustard spinach, it showed few ill effects.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8352662

That explains a lot *g*. I have a little patch of broccoli, kohlrabi and a few romaine type lettuce(s), which I'd thought would be ready long ago. The early/severe (for us) cold Farmerdill mentions seemed to put a halt to their growth, but because there was no need to pull them out, I built them a low hoop house type thing, and covered them (sometimes for days) during the worst of it. I was afraid to open them :). When I did, expecting mush, they were in surprisingly good shape, even after 11 degrees. It did get above freezing most days, but they got no sun.
Now they're in the "open". and seem to be fine, even growing a bit. The lettuce had some withered leaves, and one broccoli is done for. Interesting :)
prettymess
San Jose, CA

February 7, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8360043

I have little chard plants finally starting to grow, they are maybe 2 inches high, cute little buggers, its been so sunny out I am hoping they can handle the heat. I hope everyone everywhere else gets a nice thaw soon!
Aquannie
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8360563

My greens including chard, kale, collards, oriental greens and turnips are all of a sudden growing a couple of inches a week. Everything was planted in late October or early November. Our turning point was finally getting some blessed rain. It is still in the 30s many nights here and we have had a lot of freezes but nothing has died but some lettuce.
I am most impressed by the baby bok choy. They are delicious, pretty and seemingly indestructible. My new favorite.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8362144

Oh, good! I bought some seeds to plant, and I've been waffling. You have convinced me:).
We've been very cold (for SC), but my November brocolli finally has some tiny heads peeking out from their leaves.
Of course, it's supposed to snow tonight, so I have to decide to cover, or not to cover. They SAY very light, but the weather accuracy has been less than stellar this year :(

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8362370

Famerdill,
Are you in the Atlanta, Ga. growing zone? I have a cousin who's joining Dave's and trying to get a good planting schedule down for her spring? garden. She says she plants tomatoes in May (when I'll be harvesting). She has successfully grown humongous watermelons and cantaloupes, so she's not a total newbie.

However, she's interested in container gardening. She does have a large property available for some planting, too.

Any tips on when she should start her seedlings would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Linda
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8362539

I am about 150 miles south and east of the Atlanta metro area. I start tomatoes, eggplants ,peppers around March 1 for tramsplant around the middle of April. Last frost date April 15. Spring brassicas started in cold frame around the first of February for transplant in mid March. Maybe a few days later in the suburbs north of Atlanta, but not wildly different.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America