Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: Oldest seeds, smallest containers?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 3, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8339691

After thinking about it for a couple years I am finally giving WS a try... and I am finding all sorts off seed packs that I enthusiastically purchased let's just say some time ago. I'm giving them a try because I have nothing to lose. I'm curious to know how other folks have fared with older seed that has been kept cool and dry in packets, just never planted.

I am also curious to know how small a container folks have ever tried to WS in? A Dixie Cup? Do they even make those anymore? I have a load of clear plastic baby food tubs in my recycling bin and I have the urge to try taping them together in pairs top and bottom just to see if it would work. If it did it would need to be with a seed that can be transplanted pretty quick after germination given that the little greenhouse would be none too tall. I think I have seeds on the brain!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8340133

lady -- I know there are sites that will list how long a seed is viable for... i just dont know it off hand.

and as for small containers, it's more 'depth' you need to be concerned with. you should have 3-4" of soil so the roots have room to roam. plus shorter, smaller containers do dry out faster... I've made that mistake and had plant loss due to them drying out.
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8341063

The drying is a good point. Thank you! Argh, I guess I'll refrain from saving more of them. At least they are small enough to fit in the recycling bin even in great quantity!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8343596

Maybe group several small containers together and put plastic film over them all? Like "double bagging".

You could tape them together, or park them in a big tub, or a tray with drainage.

If stable enough, maybe set them on a rectangle of chicken wire, then curl the chciken wire up around the edges, maybe secure it with string, and drape plastic over it all, like a dome tent.

I'm using square 3.5" pots, 12 per big tub, three tubs so far.
2 mil plastic over all, with vent slits
I'm thinking of plastic Dixie cups inside smaller tubs.

Corey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America