Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Fuchsias: Help with questions on fuchsia starts under lights

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 16, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8340298

I live in Ohio-right now it is 15 degrees and we are anticipating 3-4 days of nightmare storms-so all my fuchsias are potted up and sitting in a crawl space.I took cuttings in September,rooted them in a plug flat and now they are VERY large.I am rather nervous as I have about 4 more months before they can go outside.How many times can I pinch a trailer?Will it eventually adversly affect its health?
Some of the uprights have new stem growth at the soil line .Pinch it off? Other uprights have additional stems growing along the root line.Cut then off?Also,when should I pot up trailers in hanging baskets ? I have ordered a 4x6 portable walk-in greenhouse that I will set up on my deck with heater and thermostat to accomodate my plants as space is dwindling in the basement each time I pot up to larger size.Next will be 6 inch pots.Yikes! I am feeding with miracle grow at about 3/4 strength every other time I water.Too much?Anyone who has any experience with this please pipe in.Normally greenhouses in our area do not begin to take fuchsia cuttings until January!

Thumbnail by golgi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8340310

Here is a picture of the whole setup.Took cuttings of my petinias and verbena and vinca vine,too.Petunias are 2 to 3 times bigger than what I buy in May!Yikes! worried they will be spent by the time I plant them out

Thumbnail by golgi

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8340523

Wow! Nice job! I am continuously amazed by what gardeners in colder climates are able to accomplish in those cold conditions! Beautiful healthy plants you have there!
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8340579

PedricksCorner
You have alot of experience with uprights-can you answer any of my questions?
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8340929

i would pinch to force the growth upright
you will have lots of time after they are up to let them bush

Dick
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8341023

I don't pinch uprights. It creates too much lateral growth when they are young. Then you have to either cut it off or tie it up. I like to let mine get at least a foot high before I pinch, if I pinch. Usually, growing them out in the sunshine will cause them to be dense and bushy on their own.
Plus, if you are going to make a standard, you are going to have to cut all of the side growth off anyway until you get a main trunk as high as you want it to go.
Your trailers are going to be beautiful, they are nice and bushy, just what you'd want. When you have as many side shoots going as you'd like, stop and let them go.
I can feel for your need for space! I have very limited experience attempting to grow fuchsias in your conditions. I wish hummer_girl and clgirl would chime in, as they have both done what you are trying to do.
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8342508

So the concensus is-continue to pinch trailers;Pinch only heavy lateral growth on uprights.I have several fuchsia that have what appears to be separate plants entirely growing in the same pot.I suspect my cutting was too long and individual trunks are growing along the root system.Cut these off at the soil line?
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8342595

It depends. If they are trailers, I'd leave them. They are going to make for very nice and bushy baskets!
Yes, fuchsia's will put out shoots from every node, even buried nodes from which the initial roots are formed for the cutting. Which is a good thing, because it is those buried nodes that enable a fuchsia to come back up with new spring growth in areas where they might freeze to surface level. I have seen upright fuchsias put out new canes that would rival the length and thickness of any rose bush! So some of them can go from nothing showing above ground, to a five or six foot high bush in one season :-)
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8346417

Thanks for the reccomendations! I hope they keep up their stamina-it just seems they have so long to wait before going outside.As for the greenhouse I ordered,we will need a backhoe to clean the snow and ice off the deck before I can even set it up!Or a major thaw which is not happening any time soon. here is a photo of the multiple stems arising from aa cutting of Dutch Perle

Thumbnail by golgi

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8346768

Nice! I'd certainly leave those on, the more the merrier when it comes to trailers!
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8346798

Except that Dutch perle is an upright LOL!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8346816

Ah, well then you will have one filled out upright! It isn't in the database here and since there are over 12,000 registered cultivars, it is hard to keep up with the names. Since I am mostly looking for older varieties, it isn't on my list either. Maybe I over looked it.

I just looked it up on FindThatFuchsia and it has no hybridizer or date of introduction, so you might not be able to add it to the database here once it is in bloom. They have it described as a "bush" instead of an "upright" so I didn't include it in my list. That usually means the cultivar can go either way. Trailer or upright depending what you want. It is also described as having a single flower (I like the simply ones the best myself) with pale pink sepals and a coral corolla. Can't wait to see photos of it blooming!
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8346906

Sorry -only got it half right.Try "Deutsche Perle"
It is a lovely fuchsia,one of my favorites.Love a white sepal with a darker corolla,it's my weakness.Also prefer singles to doubles.I will scour my photos from this past summer for a good picture of her.

golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8346911

I found this: Deutsche Perle Twrdy 1874 D B S white pinkred

on this website:
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/englistd.html
so looks like an old one!
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8352059

Ah! Thank goodness! Now you can add it to the database here. FindThatFuchsia does have a photo of it:

http://www.findthatfuchsia.info/d2.htm

I tend to prefer the single ones with white sepals also. My biggest weakness is the white and blue combo!

golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8352389

Oh I LOVE that combo! Do you have any recommendations for a heat tolerant one that holds it's color without fading to a magenta so soon? Carmel Blue?I would even do a double or semi-double if it comes with high praise! Also wanted to ask if you or anyone else has any experience with Elfriede Ott Rosa.Can it truly take sun? Is it as pretty and profuse as some of the photos indicate?
BTW if you would like me to root a cutting of Deutsche Perle for you I would be happy to.It is really a beautiful color and shape and bloomed till hard frost for me.
PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8353074

Preston Guild, Marin Glow, and Hermiena do well for me. It gets up into the low 100's here in the late summer and they are all out in the full sun. As long as you have a large enough root system in place, they can take the heat and the sun. They might get singed, but in my experience, a day hot enough to damage my fuchsias is also going to singe my roses and everyone expects roses to cope with the sun and heat or they wouldn't get nice flowers.
I'd love a cutting of Deutsche Perle in the spring! We'll have to talk trade ;-)
I don't have Carmel Blue yet. But I am looking for it. Nor have I seen Elfriede Ott Rosa. I have a long list of "wants" and it gets longer every day!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America