Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Brugmansia - summer

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1147399/

B. 'Clementine'

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Of the doubles Alistair has given me, 'Clementine' is by far the best performer so far in this garden. 'Hyacinth Bouquet, 'Sea Nymph and 'Adele Essex' are yet to bloom.

Chrissy's 'Twilight Time' is going well in pots as is Allan's 'Fernando'.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 3:12 PM

barmera, Australia

Beautiful. Clementine is a good performer here too Wayne. Frosty Pink is very good and is just about to have her 5th flush straight. Ecuador pink is about to have another flush too but only has about 5-6 buds where as FP has 50-100 each time. Colleen

Sydney, Australia

Sadly Hyacinth Bouquet hates living here I don't know what I have done to offend her ...Mrs Bucket er oops Hyacinth Bouquet chooses to ignore everything I do to help her bloom.She refuses to set buds.

Adele Essex has not bloomed or set buds again ...Clementine is wonderful!
Fernando(Alan ^_^) and Fifi (Mya ^_^) are doing very well.
Some poor angels are looking so cooked at the moment it would break your heart to look at them ...full sun in these conditions is just torture ...there will be a week at least of sustained heatwave so I am a bit tense after reading that some hybrids give up in these sort of temps. The fact that many suffered such big damage from the hail ...leaving naked branches has had something to do with it I think.
Also all the grey days then sudden hot hot sun.
Oh well what will be will be.
I hope my hybrid seedlings and plants in full sun can ride it out.
Yesterday even plants in the shade drooped.
I want Autumn!!!
Yes I wanted Sun but not a blow torch ...sorry I am awful in the heat. ^_^

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 7:17 PM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2011 10:09 PM

Sydney, Australia

Adele Essex was so beautiful ...I miss her.
She may be waiting like some others do for kinder times ...in all fairness the weather in the last year has been terrible and the tribulations the Brugs have had to endure have been a shocker( in my area at least).
Remember how lovely she is?

This message was edited Feb 13, 2011 10:08 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

cestrum here is one of the Ludger Windsong seedling blooms

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

another

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Hottest Summer day since the Christmas fires 10 years ago ...whaaa!
How are you going with the garden?
Lots more to come ...very dry heat.
Shocking weather for both humans and Brugs.

West of Brisbane, Australia

Not hot by the thermometer here, but humid. The direct opposite of what you're experiencing! Unpleasant either way but at least the brugs don't get scorched ...

LW should be great for breeding more yellow brugs. Is it just me, or does AE look like Lipstick Pink?

Sydney, Australia

maybe in the picture but not in reality.
It opens a pure white then changes into a pretty pink.
It is a very elegant bloom (not saying Lipstick Pink isn't )

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

The humidity protects Brugs in the heat while dry hot wind can leave Brugs in full open situation crisped.
That is what some of them were this morning.
Just the outer leaves but because they shrivel and drop the under leaves may burn off in this prolonged heat.
I have been told that some Brugs simply go to sleep in this big heat and some don't come back.
Guess I will find out.
here is Lipstick Pink in pale mode just to show you the different shape ...see the tube? it is more ...ummm tubular .
AE is longer more of a narrower slight flair in the tube.
Look at the neck area too.
Of course Lipstick Pink is a lovely darker rose pink in some conditions.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

I have lost my original picture of the darker colour in LP but it is here.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/180691/
Both lovely brugs.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Here are a couple of pix taken of 'Lipstick' last year here. This plant was in a pot.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

B. 'Lipstick'

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Sydney, Australia

Thanks Wayne yes mine was that orange colour too after the red dust blew through and left the residue in the ground.
It never was that colour prior to that or since.
Mind you after my experience with different shades of Brugmansias in different seasons and conditions nothing is surprising.
I hope yours are ok after the big heat ...42C expected today 41.6C yesterday.
The hot wind is very destructive darn it!

I hope everyone up North will be ok ...we watch with great anxiety!

I can see Ecuador Pink in Lipstick's shape but yes, it's clearly different from Adele.

Have just come inside from a half hour spent hosing (not bucket watering) and I look as if I've been out in the rain--but it's sweat rolling down my face and plastering my hair to my skull! Still, not as destructive to the brugs as the hot winds, true. And my double pink is flowering again (Phanomenal x Superspot). Here you can see it with the big floppy apricot in the background as a size and colour comparison.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here it is in closeup. The blooms in the first flush had a long dropped skirt which made it quite distinctive, but which I didn't much like. (I thought it looked deformed.) Now the second skirt has settled just within the outer one, which I think looks much prettier.

But who knows what it will be like as the seasons progress. I'm guessing that it will become paler in cooler weather but I suspect that the shape might not change again ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

And here's one from underneath to better show the inner skirt.
You can also see a faint blush of yellow. (I wonder if this could make an orange brug if crossed correctly? But with what??) The bloom has just coloured this morning so the pink should darken over the next 24 hours.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
barmera, Australia

Cestrum, I would say that the middle skirt of that brug looks pretty orange to me. It's lovely to see a pink double. I'm still waiting for my Knightii to flower so that I can see a double white. Colleen

Sydney, Australia

Oh cestrum she is beautiful!
Sometimes Doubles can be a little ungainly opening up (see picture) ...but that shape is lovely!
It looks more of a peach than pink and the inner skirt is orange.
Peaches are beautiful!
The tendrils are lovely ...swirling around and with wonderful length. ^_^
Wonderful!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Is that Twilight Time, Chrissy? Very pretty ... Could you remind me what its parents are?

Colleen, Knightii has the most lovely pristine blooms and a beautifully elegant/tightly formed shape. You will be delighted with your first flush of flowers :-)

Interesting that it seems orange to you both, as to the naked eye it looks distinctly pink with yellow smudges. If you look at the first pic, you can see the true apricot of the big floppy apricot seedling to the left of my pink double, and one just behind it. See how pink my double is in comparison with the apricot? I'll take another photo later this arvo as the colour should be a deeper pink. (Too humid to go outside now--just typing is sweaty work!) And I'll take a whiff of the perfume to see if it is lovely as I remembered from the first flush.

barmera, Australia

Chrissy I'll have to get you to send me some more cuttings of TT later when you have time please. It is very beautiful. Colleen

Sydney, Australia

The weather is too disgusting right now to send cuttings ... when things are more civil.
Twilight time is Creamsickle x Sam and in my opinion because of it's lovely shape she is beautiful in the pale times (cooler weather) and in the more coloured times (heat).

When they a pretty shape who cares if it is gelato pale ...not me.
That was taken in cooler days this is a high heat shot ...I think cestrum's bloom is a very beautiful shape.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Hard to believe they are all the same plant ...but such is the differences in different temps (humidity plays a key roll.) TT grows in full sun.
She throws triples when she blooms in heat

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

TT to the eye is a distinct Peach but looks pink in the shots ...here is a shot of a dark colour on her ...you can see the peach (but dark) in this.
cestrum I agree the camera does not always show the right tone ...it's lovely pink or peach.
Like I said a Brugmansia has a face for each season...this is why id is difficult.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Your seedling cestrum has a lovely elegant tube ...slim.
TT is a bit wider in her tube ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

That last photo in particular is a stunner, Chrissy--TT does look pink in the photos. Mine is the opposite: it looks an Elfin Pink shade of pink in real life. (But who knows--maybe it will change colour.) Thanks for the genealogy. I've noted it so that I don't have to keep asking. I don't want cuttings but if you get a seedpod, I'll happily accept two seeds from it :-) (TWO, not 4, or 6 LOL) I'd love to have its genes.
Mine has a green seedpod on it, which astonishes me. Whether it will mature in high summer, and have viable seeds if it does, I can't say ... but you bet I'll be trying to cross-pollinate its autumn blooms like a frenzied bee LOL
Time to turn off the PC for a few hours, to give the fans a rest ...

Sydney, Australia

Can hardly wait to see her tomorrow ...it may turn tomato red like Super Spot ...wouldn't a red double cause a stir ...^_^ ...she is a beauty!

Sydney, Australia

Ok but I will root some TT anyway and send you some ...seeds later. ^_^

barmera, Australia

Thanks Chrissy. Much appreciated. Colleen

Merino, Australia

First pic of my very first buds. I am hoping they stay on the plant . There are 3 but you can only see two here. Chrissy I never had to worry about the bud as the whole calyx just fell off on its own.
Little short stubby things. I am waiting with fingers crossed to see what happens. If there are any seeds eventually, they will be shared around .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Sydney, Australia

That's exciting Jean just watch that little ovary and if it has taken it will quite quickly enlarge ...within days you will see it get bigger it will then be a pod.
Good luck.

I just realized Mya could be in the path of that demon hurricane ...I hope not!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2011 1:48 PM

barmera, Australia

Degerotty [Debi] has moved to Townsville to live with her son as well. I do hope her and Mya are okay. My brother is at Mackay and said that Anthony attacked them on the weekend so they are ready for this one, or as ready as anyone can be. Can you get in touch with us if you can please so that we know that you're okay? Colleen

It's darkened a little.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

But look at the immature white bloom.
I reckon it looks like knightii.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here you can see one pink and three white blooms. (The others are big floppy apricot.) I had a good sniff and it smells (sort of) like lemon/sherbet with an aurea undertone ... sort of. Anyway, like none of my other brugs. Doesn't seem to waft, at least not in this weather. Blooms keep their shape in the heat too. Esp. impressive given that this brug is growing in what used to be the lemon bed, so it's pretty much in full sun.

I saw that Magnetic Island is in the path of the cyclone, so Mya (if she hasn't evacuated) is probably hunkered down to wait for the onslaught ... logging onto to DG might not be a priority.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
barmera, Australia

Cestrum that bloom is beautiful. I know that MI is in for some trouble but I thought that Mya may have gone elsewhere if she could. God I hope that the experts are wrong. Colleen

Sydney, Australia

cestrum it's beautiful ...choice ^_^ that is both white and pink at the same time on the tree (a versicolor trait).
My TT opens to creamy with the colour already flushing into the lower part of the bloom.
You must be thrilled ...I would be and I am for you!
The versicolor seems to carry the lemony scent too.

Magnetic Island is now without power ... hopefully Mya got out of there.
I dread what is to come.

Versicolor you reckon, Chrissy?

Alistair wrote: Colour inheritance is very, very confusing in Brugmansia!

E.g. pink seems to be recessive in some species and dominant or co-dominant in others.

There seem to be very few Brugmansia hybrids which express both pink and yellow simultaneously.

Orange is achieved in two ways: one is very strong apricot (these open cream first and abruptly go orange overnight). This is always derived from B. versicolor. The other is by yellow or orange carotene pigments (from B. aurea and possibly B. suaveolens). These open yellow and darken more gradually.

Interesting ...

The white blooms have turned pink overnight.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here is my big floppy apricot seedling with a seedpod.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.