Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

January 31, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8340675

Of the doubles Alistair has given me, 'Clementine' is by far the best performer so far in this garden. 'Hyacinth Bouquet, 'Sea Nymph and 'Adele Essex' are yet to bloom.

Chrissy's 'Twilight Time' is going well in pots as is Allan's 'Fernando'.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 3:12 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 31, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8341072

Beautiful. Clementine is a good performer here too Wayne. Frosty Pink is very good and is just about to have her 5th flush straight. Ecuador pink is about to have another flush too but only has about 5-6 buds where as FP has 50-100 each time. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8341133

Sadly Hyacinth Bouquet hates living here I don't know what I have done to offend her ...Mrs Bucket er oops Hyacinth Bouquet chooses to ignore everything I do to help her bloom.She refuses to set buds.

Adele Essex has not bloomed or set buds again ...Clementine is wonderful!
Fernando(Alan ^_^) and Fifi (Mya ^_^) are doing very well.
Some poor angels are looking so cooked at the moment it would break your heart to look at them ...full sun in these conditions is just torture ...there will be a week at least of sustained heatwave so I am a bit tense after reading that some hybrids give up in these sort of temps. The fact that many suffered such big damage from the hail ...leaving naked branches has had something to do with it I think.
Also all the grey days then sudden hot hot sun.
Oh well what will be will be.
I hope my hybrid seedlings and plants in full sun can ride it out.
Yesterday even plants in the shade drooped.
I want Autumn!!!
Yes I wanted Sun but not a blow torch ...sorry I am awful in the heat. ^_^

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 7:17 PM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2011 10:09 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8341349

Adele Essex was so beautiful ...I miss her.
She may be waiting like some others do for kinder times ...in all fairness the weather in the last year has been terrible and the tribulations the Brugs have had to endure have been a shocker( in my area at least).
Remember how lovely she is?

This message was edited Feb 13, 2011 10:08 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8341357

cestrum here is one of the Ludger Windsong seedling blooms

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8341373

another

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8342036

Hottest Summer day since the Christmas fires 10 years ago ...whaaa!
How are you going with the garden?
Lots more to come ...very dry heat.
Shocking weather for both humans and Brugs.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2011
11:31 PM

Post #8342081

Not hot by the thermometer here, but humid. The direct opposite of what you're experiencing! Unpleasant either way but at least the brugs don't get scorched ...

LW should be great for breeding more yellow brugs. Is it just me, or does AE look like Lipstick Pink?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2011
11:41 PM

Post #8342085

maybe in the picture but not in reality.
It opens a pure white then changes into a pretty pink.
It is a very elegant bloom (not saying Lipstick Pink isn't )

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8342089

The humidity protects Brugs in the heat while dry hot wind can leave Brugs in full open situation crisped.
That is what some of them were this morning.
Just the outer leaves but because they shrivel and drop the under leaves may burn off in this prolonged heat.
I have been told that some Brugs simply go to sleep in this big heat and some don't come back.
Guess I will find out.
here is Lipstick Pink in pale mode just to show you the different shape ...see the tube? it is more ...ummm tubular .
AE is longer more of a narrower slight flair in the tube.
Look at the neck area too.
Of course Lipstick Pink is a lovely darker rose pink in some conditions.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8342093

I have lost my original picture of the darker colour in LP but it is here.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/180691/
Both lovely brugs.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 1, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8342877

Here are a couple of pix taken of 'Lipstick' last year here. This plant was in a pot.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 1, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8342886

B. 'Lipstick'

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8343251

Thanks Wayne yes mine was that orange colour too after the red dust blew through and left the residue in the ground.
It never was that colour prior to that or since.
Mind you after my experience with different shades of Brugmansias in different seasons and conditions nothing is surprising.
I hope yours are ok after the big heat ...42C expected today 41.6C yesterday.
The hot wind is very destructive darn it!

I hope everyone up North will be ok ...we watch with great anxiety!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8343539

I can see Ecuador Pink in Lipstick's shape but yes, it's clearly different from Adele.

Have just come inside from a half hour spent hosing (not bucket watering) and I look as if I've been out in the rain--but it's sweat rolling down my face and plastering my hair to my skull! Still, not as destructive to the brugs as the hot winds, true. And my double pink is flowering again (Phanomenal x Superspot). Here you can see it with the big floppy apricot in the background as a size and colour comparison.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8343544

Here it is in closeup. The blooms in the first flush had a long dropped skirt which made it quite distinctive, but which I didn't much like. (I thought it looked deformed.) Now the second skirt has settled just within the outer one, which I think looks much prettier.

But who knows what it will be like as the seasons progress. I'm guessing that it will become paler in cooler weather but I suspect that the shape might not change again ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8343562

And here's one from underneath to better show the inner skirt.
You can also see a faint blush of yellow. (I wonder if this could make an orange brug if crossed correctly? But with what??) The bloom has just coloured this morning so the pink should darken over the next 24 hours.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 1, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8343711

Cestrum, I would say that the middle skirt of that brug looks pretty orange to me. It's lovely to see a pink double. I'm still waiting for my Knightii to flower so that I can see a double white. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8343750

Oh cestrum she is beautiful!
Sometimes Doubles can be a little ungainly opening up (see picture) ...but that shape is lovely!
It looks more of a peach than pink and the inner skirt is orange.
Peaches are beautiful!
The tendrils are lovely ...swirling around and with wonderful length. ^_^
Wonderful!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8343770

Is that Twilight Time, Chrissy? Very pretty ... Could you remind me what its parents are?

Colleen, Knightii has the most lovely pristine blooms and a beautifully elegant/tightly formed shape. You will be delighted with your first flush of flowers :-)

Interesting that it seems orange to you both, as to the naked eye it looks distinctly pink with yellow smudges. If you look at the first pic, you can see the true apricot of the big floppy apricot seedling to the left of my pink double, and one just behind it. See how pink my double is in comparison with the apricot? I'll take another photo later this arvo as the colour should be a deeper pink. (Too humid to go outside now--just typing is sweaty work!) And I'll take a whiff of the perfume to see if it is lovely as I remembered from the first flush.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 1, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8343786

Chrissy I'll have to get you to send me some more cuttings of TT later when you have time please. It is very beautiful. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8343841

The weather is too disgusting right now to send cuttings ... when things are more civil.
Twilight time is Creamsickle x Sam and in my opinion because of it's lovely shape she is beautiful in the pale times (cooler weather) and in the more coloured times (heat).

When they a pretty shape who cares if it is gelato pale ...not me.
That was taken in cooler days this is a high heat shot ...I think cestrum's bloom is a very beautiful shape.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8343855

Hard to believe they are all the same plant ...but such is the differences in different temps (humidity plays a key roll.) TT grows in full sun.
She throws triples when she blooms in heat

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8343869

TT to the eye is a distinct Peach but looks pink in the shots ...here is a shot of a dark colour on her ...you can see the peach (but dark) in this.
cestrum I agree the camera does not always show the right tone ...it's lovely pink or peach.
Like I said a Brugmansia has a face for each season...this is why id is difficult.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8343892

Your seedling cestrum has a lovely elegant tube ...slim.
TT is a bit wider in her tube ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8343895

That last photo in particular is a stunner, Chrissy--TT does look pink in the photos. Mine is the opposite: it looks an Elfin Pink shade of pink in real life. (But who knows--maybe it will change colour.) Thanks for the genealogy. I've noted it so that I don't have to keep asking. I don't want cuttings but if you get a seedpod, I'll happily accept two seeds from it :-) (TWO, not 4, or 6 LOL) I'd love to have its genes.
Mine has a green seedpod on it, which astonishes me. Whether it will mature in high summer, and have viable seeds if it does, I can't say ... but you bet I'll be trying to cross-pollinate its autumn blooms like a frenzied bee LOL
Time to turn off the PC for a few hours, to give the fans a rest ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8343903

Can hardly wait to see her tomorrow ...it may turn tomato red like Super Spot ...wouldn't a red double cause a stir ...^_^ ...she is a beauty!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8343908

Ok but I will root some TT anyway and send you some ...seeds later. ^_^
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 1, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8343977

Thanks Chrissy. Much appreciated. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 1, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8344054

First pic of my very first buds. I am hoping they stay on the plant . There are 3 but you can only see two here. Chrissy I never had to worry about the bud as the whole calyx just fell off on its own.
Little short stubby things. I am waiting with fingers crossed to see what happens. If there are any seeds eventually, they will be shared around .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8344155

That's exciting Jean just watch that little ovary and if it has taken it will quite quickly enlarge ...within days you will see it get bigger it will then be a pod.
Good luck.

I just realized Mya could be in the path of that demon hurricane ...I hope not!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2011 1:48 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 1, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8344176

Degerotty [Debi] has moved to Townsville to live with her son as well. I do hope her and Mya are okay. My brother is at Mackay and said that Anthony attacked them on the weekend so they are ready for this one, or as ready as anyone can be. Can you get in touch with us if you can please so that we know that you're okay? Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
12:56 AM

Post #8344355

It's darkened a little.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
12:57 AM

Post #8344356

But look at the immature white bloom.
I reckon it looks like knightii.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
1:01 AM

Post #8344357

Here you can see one pink and three white blooms. (The others are big floppy apricot.) I had a good sniff and it smells (sort of) like lemon/sherbet with an aurea undertone ... sort of. Anyway, like none of my other brugs. Doesn't seem to waft, at least not in this weather. Blooms keep their shape in the heat too. Esp. impressive given that this brug is growing in what used to be the lemon bed, so it's pretty much in full sun.

I saw that Magnetic Island is in the path of the cyclone, so Mya (if she hasn't evacuated) is probably hunkered down to wait for the onslaught ... logging onto to DG might not be a priority.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2011
1:51 AM

Post #8344370

Cestrum that bloom is beautiful. I know that MI is in for some trouble but I thought that Mya may have gone elsewhere if she could. God I hope that the experts are wrong. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
3:07 AM

Post #8344406

cestrum it's beautiful ...choice ^_^ that is both white and pink at the same time on the tree (a versicolor trait).
My TT opens to creamy with the colour already flushing into the lower part of the bloom.
You must be thrilled ...I would be and I am for you!
The versicolor seems to carry the lemony scent too.

Magnetic Island is now without power ... hopefully Mya got out of there.
I dread what is to come.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8345535

Versicolor you reckon, Chrissy?

Alistair wrote: Colour inheritance is very, very confusing in Brugmansia!

E.g. pink seems to be recessive in some species and dominant or co-dominant in others.

There seem to be very few Brugmansia hybrids which express both pink and yellow simultaneously.

Orange is achieved in two ways: one is very strong apricot (these open cream first and abruptly go orange overnight). This is always derived from B. versicolor. The other is by yellow or orange carotene pigments (from B. aurea and possibly B. suaveolens). These open yellow and darken more gradually.

Interesting ...

The white blooms have turned pink overnight.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8345537

Here is my big floppy apricot seedling with a seedpod.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8345540

Here is the double pink with a seedpod--about half the length of the BFA.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8345543

Here it is with the BFA seedling.
The double pink is tiny in comparison.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8345544

Now for a fairer comparison, with the Alistair pink#2 seedling (at left). A smaller flower and quite petite, but still not as refined as the double pink.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8345547

BTW, I was getting a good whiff of that lemony perfume as I was taking the photos early this morning. Quite lovely :-)

And here is the final shot--for this flush, anyway LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8345601

It is a mix ...you look at the slit (versicolor is a one slit bloom) and the size (small is usually aurea trait)
White opening then changing is a versicolor trait.
http://www.brugmansia.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=216
Like Alistair said ...confusing.
Versicolor loves heat.
Versicolor is a large bloom so yours has a dose of aurea too.
Unfortunately the breeders of your cross don't show the grandparents so you can't check where it came from.

But really it is just like us ...we get our genes from a mixed bag of inherited ones don't we?
Same with the hybrids.
She is lovely whatever genes she carries.
The seeds should be beaut.

Sigh I lost some smaller seedlings in the Blowtorch heat yesterday ...the hot wind just cooked them.
I guess we need to have tough ones if they are to live in Australia but it sure is sad to find so many cooked plants out there ...I think my magnolia is gone too.
Anywhere the sun actually touched the leaves on many plants (not just brugs) are crispy brown.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8345624

The seed was given to me by Mya, and her Fifi is from the same cross (Phanomenal x Superspot). It is pretty and adds some new genes to the local mix, so very pleasing all round. (Can't wait for the seeds!) Plus that fragrance :-)

Which magnolia are you referring to, Chrissy? If it's just leaf damage then it should be OK (although unsightly), helped with a little Seasol ...? Frost in winter and hot winds in summer (sigh) ...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8345631

I keep forgetting to reply to Wayne's comments about his knightii seedlings--they're bigger than mine, even though mine were sown earlier! I reckon Wayne might get the first blooms on my knightii crosses LOL

I found that they germinated well inside but suffered when I put them out in spring, even though the weather was pleasantly warm. Have a look at these stunted ones that have barely grown since being placed outside (in shade) a few months ago.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8345637

Now look at these, also outside in the same sheltered spot but growing in the mini-greenhouse: nice and lush. So healthy that I don't want to take them out, which is why I haven't potted them up. Even in here something's been eating away at them. I have to spray with coffee again, basically after each watering. But if I took them out they would be defoliated overnight. In fact, I lost many seedlings that way. So I guess I'll just have to get another mini-greenhouse ... or two :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8345728

I am guessing perhaps the ones outside are drying out in the reflected (dry) heat of the walls.
it's about humidity and warmth.
The ones I lost were blasted by the 40C wind ...my fault because I did not have time to move them under trees.
The ones that do not seem to be doing well will recover nicely in dappled shade under trees or bushes ...don't forget with seedlings just like tomatoes you can re pot them up to the cot leaf scars ...thus pushing them into better growth as they make extra roots.

The Magnolia I think I may have lost has crispy dried leaves ...it's the Exmouth (grandiflora )
The sun got through to it because the hail had stripped so many leaves from the sheltering trees.
It is a beautiful evergreen with beautiful Lacquered leaves with felt chocolate undersides. :(
The ones from you have cooked leaves where the sun hit them but the leaves in the shaded parts are ok ...will they recover ok? what a shame they were doing so well.
Here is the one I am worried about. Magnolia Exmouth ...now with crunchy leaves. It does have lower leaves still green where it escaped the sun.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8345749

That magnolia looks like it has thick, glossy leaves. I reckon it has a good chance of recovery, Chrissy, with some Seasol and protection from more of that searing heat. Dunno about the champacas because their leaves are quite soft. I lost my first champaca when I planted it out and it got its first bout of hot sun, although they're established trees now and take full sun. So you *might* lose some but I would think not all of them.

Seasol, some shade/shelter ... can't think of what else you can do. This is the worst month, whether here (for humidity) or further south (for high temps). Once we get thru it, we'll have that wonderful relief of autumn. Just got to hang in until then ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8345758

Sorry about my waffling bad grammar not much sleep last night.
I just read it back ...*blush* very disjointed sorry.
For any lurkers don't forget to ease seedlings from inside to outside first into warm shade then gradually into morning sun.
Everything I say is from my own experience I am no expert but have grown hundreds of brugs. My area may be very different to others so do your homework and make sure you adjust facts and info for your weather and locations.
My pick of the new seedling blooms in 2010 here in my garden was this one ...Melissa Amy.
Edited to say ...it does not look like that today ...the magnolia I mean :(

This message was edited Feb 3, 2011 10:56 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8345798

Beautiful, Chrissy--an elegant charmer, that one :-)
Can you remind me of its parentage?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8345813

Earth Angel x Pink Smitty ... ^_^
Picture is not doing it justice.
like most Angels ...up close and personal knocks you off your feet with it's beauty.
And if you are lucky with it's fragrance.
It's Australia's version of Pink Smitty I reckon.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/78320/

Earth Angel is very pretty too
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/98488/
Nice genes ^_^

This message was edited Feb 3, 2011 11:34 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8345843

Oooh, I have a Pink Smitty seedling, from Mya's seeds :-)
OT but did I mention that the seeds from my champaca have germinated in my brug pots? BTW, I don't know what Joy perfume smells like but the champaca fragrance is not as strong/intense as the seed vendors claim. I find it has a light floral scent, like a floral cologne, but when there are enough flowers on the tree it wafts beautifully. The fragrance is never cloying or rank.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8345850

Back to brugs, just to say that all my apricots are in flower: the big floppy apricot seedlings and Old Apricot itself (shown here), which smells just like the BFA seedlings.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8345923

I haven't tried Joy perfume because I read men find it sickly sweet.
I am not into sickly sweet.
These are comments from women re the scent.
http://www.nstperfume.com/2008/01/14/jean-patou-joy-perfume-review/

I did buy essential oil of Ylang Ylang and found it a disappointment because it just had a strong rubber banana custard fragrance, mind you essential oil is very very concentrated.
Mind you I can smell that same rubber undertone even in gardenia much as I love it.
I look forward to having a sniff if ever these champaca blooms ...it's supposed to resemble Ylang Ylang in fragrance, what do you think?
I read somewhere that the white champaca is less fragrant than the yellow ...what a shame.
Congratulations on your seeds sprouting.
Gotta love Old Apricot don't you.
Always dependable and always beautiful!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8346009

Hmmm, I don't see champaca mentioned in the list of ingredients at all. And if it were, it would be lost among scents from all the other plants. I think the vendors' descriptions are a complete furphy! Anyway, there is nothing sickly about the champaca flowers--light fresh floral fragrance, never cloying. You won't find it sickly sweet, I guarantee.

I have yet to smell *real* ylang ylang, as none of my Cananga odorata trees has yet flowered. The dwarf one doesn't count. I see that an ebay vendor selling the dwarf plant says that it's used for making perfume, but I can guarantee that no perfume is made from the dwarf one. I had another sniff of mine in the heavy humidity of early morning--surely the ideal conditions, as close to its natural climate at you can get--and if I stuck my nose right into the flower I could smell the faintest lemony fragrance. Pleasant, sure, but very weak. (I've found the white champaca to be weaker in fragrance than the yellow species, BTW...)

No congrats needed on the champaca seedlings--they're all volunteers as the brug pots are growing by my largest tree. I intend to pull them out because three champaca trees is enough even for me! There are worse weeds though :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8346032

It too is called the Joy perfume tree because as I have read even though Champaca is not a "note" in the perfume it is said to be very similar to Ylang Ylang which is a "note" in the perfume.
I bet the yellow champacca will smell much nicer.
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/michelia_champaca.htm
Just imagine having the seeds popping up like weeds!

Triffid champacas ha ha ha ...it's a problem most gardeners would sell their grandmother for.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 2, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8346100

Cestrum, lovely double!
Good luclk with it.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8346139

cestrum I forgot to say that your big floppy Apricot has a Versicolor seed pod on it ...versicolor is the largest bloom.
That's exciting.
Wayne sorry I do get carried away.
Hope you were not working out there in the heat.
Back to Brugs.
Yes how exciting is it to see the new blooms and cestrum's double is fabulous!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8346152

Actually, I expect the 'real' ylang ylang to smell much stronger than the champaca. (Interesting to see variegated versions of champaca at the Top Tropicals site--I've spent hours drooling over the plants at that website.) But Chrissy, you got one ylang ylang to grow from cuttings, didn't you? Or did I just dream that ... (The champaca seeds pop up because my largest tree is loaded with seedpods--growing them from seed is easy peasey. Yell out if you want me to collect some for you when they ripen.)

All those big floppy apricot seedlings are Joli x Angels flight crosses, but to me they look more like Apricot Queen than either of those parents, and they smell *exactly* like Old Apricot. I have a seedling cross of Apricot Queen ( see http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/99897/) and when it eventually flowers I'm keen to see how it compares with my BFA seedlings.

Wayne, your Clementine looks absolutely fabulous (Daaaahling :-) ) but even more so when you consider the freak frost you experienced in winter.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8346172

Ok Joli http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/188267/
Angel's flight http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/889290/

Just goes to show you how lucky we are to get doubles.
Both of those are doubles so if the cross is correct it is stuffed with double genes.
Guess it's like winning lotto huh.

That means Angels Flight ...a parent of Clementine should perhaps be bred back to the big floppy Apricot.
Or even Fire Fighter Angel (sorry it takes so long to bloom but it is a tall one and sets a large flush) and of course to Clementine ... (kissing cousins)
No *blushing furiously* that was in the days I could not tell a Ylang Ylang from a Champaca (being a southerner and all).

This message was edited Feb 3, 2011 4:18 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8346181

That description of Joli in DG as a double is not right, because if you check the American Brugmansia And Datura Society Inc Register of Brugmansia Cultivars at
http://ibrugs.com/Brugmansia_Namelist_4-20-10.htm
you'll see it listed as a single pink. And there's a pic of it here:
http://www.engelstrompetentreff.de/modules.php?name=Gallery&act=displayimage&album=topn&cat=-25&pos=26

I think I've seen it referred to as 'Double Joli' somewhere, but I think the Joli is indeed a single pink.
But I still think my seedlings look most like Apricot Queen :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8346191

Sorry I forgot to say that Joli is not considered a true double becauseit throws both single and doubles ...if you look in my link and scroll down to the comment you see the grower comments about it.

" Mine is planted in part shade, getting late afternoon sun. It produces single and double blooms. I would characterize the pink as a "seashell" pink. Fragrant."

I am pretty certain Angel's flight isn't listed as a Quad either and that is because it does not always throw 4 skirts.
TT would only be considered a double even though she throws triples.
I hope that makes sense. :)

See you have treasure in that big floppy one.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8346193

I didn't scroll down :-(
But that explains it!
I still suspect a mixup somewhere ... can't wait for my Apricot Queen-cross seedling to bloom, to compare it with my BFA. I know it's chance but it does seem odd that all three BFA seedlings from this cross resulted in apricot blooms of the same shape, colour and fragrance, with two of identical size (the third slightly smaller) ...

Anyway, there'll be lots of seeds from my first BFA seedling when those pods ripen (that single pod is on my third BFA seedling, the last one to flower of the three).

This message was edited Feb 3, 2011 5:11 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8353719

Ohh cestrum you have so many exciting things to look forward to with the Brugs ...let's hope we don't have a super drought after this "super" flood.
Right now many of mine( hybrid seedlings) have dropped most of their leaves (most plants and trees are here) due to the extended heat and hot wind.
I can see why our American friends in the hot states write off Summer in terms of Brug displays.
My hybrids have not encountered such prolonged heat before so it's a learning experience for me.
Thank goodness the polystyrene will protect the roots from boiling.
Hopefully we won't get the exteme Winter conditions that they are enduring overeas as well.
Sigh ... oh how I miss my pretty babies.
Dreamtime to the right ...lost the buds to hail and now to heat!

This message was edited Feb 5, 2011 7:51 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 4, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8353919

The heat Chrissy! :(
Hopefully tomorrow the change will come through. Given up count, think it is six days over 36.

Why can't all seedlings bloom in an 8" pot? :))
Here is B. arborea. This single bloom has been out close on a week. Love the cute little trumpet. Think I will replace the mite ridden aurea with this one.
Thanks for the seed Chrissy.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8354163

Isn't strange to see it blooming in these high temps ...mine have been too.
Strange for cool climate brugs ( I think they are in between) ...just wait until the weather moderates (will it ever?) and not only will you have those cute little starfish blooms but they will smell so delicious!
Well done!
I forgot to say the protected brugs are not naked but have lost some leaves too.
I see many things in Autumn mode already must be the lack of sunshine so far this summer despite this 40C for the past few days.
Leafs flutter down everywhere right now.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 4, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8354310

One of our residents gave me a whiff of her "4711" cologne to compare! :)
No perfume in this little bloom, no doubt this will come about when the plant gets bigger and temps go down.
Made a very early visit to our little growing on nursery this morning to water the pots. All OK, lots of dropped leaves and a few crispy hangers-on.
Here much the same. I was hoping for a big flush on 'Mea Culpa'...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8354331

No not like the 4711 in the bottle ...like the smell of it on your skin after a few mins.
It isn't as sharp as the sniff of the cologne itself, zingy but softer ...mouthwatering.
description:
4711 Perfume by Muelhens,
* Launched by the design house of muelhens in 1772, 4711 is classified as a refined, fruity fragrance. This unisex scent possesses a blend of citrus oils lemon & orange, light floral rose, and sandalwood oil. It is recommended for daytime wear.
You will love it!
The bonus is the seed pods it sets itself!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 4, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8354501

Over in the brug site someone has posted a pic of "Monika's Luise". It looks like our Clementine. How did Clementine get it's name? Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8354591

As mentioned previously a Brug has many faces in different conditions.
But in this case that photo did not show the Brug's tendrils which are entirely different to Clementine.
They are long ...the shape of the bloom and final colour is different too.
Many Brugs open yellow or white and later change colour.

As for Clementine's name you will have to ask Alistair but at a stab I would say it's yellow/orange colour may have something to do with that.
Here is Luise as it looks when it is flowering in warmth instead Winter.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/99940/
it opens yellow
Then changes to pink ...a lovely Brug.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126842/

This message was edited Feb 5, 2011 4:22 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 4, 2011
10:47 PM

Post #8354605

Thanks for clearing that up Chrissy. So Clementine is one of Alistair's babies is she? Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8354613

Alistair is the grower ...he grew out a seed.

Yup here is the answer to why it is Clementine ...a bit of a read but interesting.
Alistair grew it from seed ... out from the same parents as the famous Brugmansia: The Chief.
It does resemble him.
http://gardenclinic.com.au/plant_of_the_week/exotic_and_fragrant/

This message was edited Feb 5, 2011 4:59 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8355911

Look at that single arborea flower on that small stick of a seedling: how cute! And yes, we all wish they would flower at that size :-)
Wonderful description of the 4711 perfume, Chrissy. Haven't smelt it myself but I can't wait ... hopefully will have the chance sometime this year.

Here is my Alistair pink#2 seedling, in flower again.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8355916

Two seedpods just picked: the long one is from my big floppy apricot seedling (Joli x Angels Flight) cross-pollinated with Elfin pink. The shorter one is from the only seedpod on my Ipswich knightii (I'm not keeping it as I already have the Melbourne knightii) x Big floppy apricot. This is the last seedpod on my knightii plants and there won't be any more until spring at the earliest, assuming that I cross-pollinate the flowers this autumn.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2011 8:43 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8355918

And here's a broken promise--one last pic of my lemony double pink :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8355930

Oh we can never have enough pictures of beautiful Brugmansia trumpets.
Lovely ...just lovely.

I bet you have some blooms on that Aborea this Autumn cestrum.
That Alistair Pink is a pretty bloom too.
Loving the pods!,
wasn't long ago we didn't know how.
Good on you re the Knightti seeds ...brilliant!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 5, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8356111

Just been out taking a few pics. Here's my Knightii X Ecuador Pink seedling. I have only got the one so far. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 5, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8356182

Ecuador Pink is very pale at the moment. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 5, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8356187

Clementine very pale compared to Wayne's. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8356270

That pod of knightii x Ecuador Pink seeds seems to have been a dud, as neither Wayne nor I got any seeds to germinate from it. (I don't know if Chrissy succeeded.) I peeled my seeds, so they all had healthy-looking kernels, yet for some reason they weren't viable. So you're lucky to have even one germinate from that particular seedpod.

However, a subsequent pod of the same cross I sowed later did germinate, so the problem isn't specific to EP, just to that pod.

Colleen, one day you'll be making your own knightii x EP crosses!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8356284

Some seeds take their own sweet time to germinate ...I found some empty corks in that cross but also found a few seed.
I was very upset to find the tiny seedlings that germinated just seemed to drop dead in the heat.
I had no idea the big boil would be so severe and failed to move them into deep shade before it hit.
(I had a nurse in that terrible day and was tied up with that).
Luckily I did not plant them all and will try again once the heat wave is over.
Don't be impatient though ...remember some brugs are temperamental.
That seedling looks good Colleen.
A lot of people threw their seeds out in frustration last year only to have them pop up ...some seeds just won't germinate if it is too hot or too cold.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8356379

Unlikely to be extreme weather here, because until recently we had an unusually comfortable growing season--i.e. very little extreme heat. Or cold. (They were all undercover too, so not affected by rain.) Plus the seeds from a subsequent seedpod germinated well under very similar conditions a month later. I think in this case it was just that pod.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8356580

Ok more extreme weather here ...I went outside to try and find a picture and was almost blown away by a cool wind .
Poor Angels!
As for me? from around 36C down to about 18/19C might sleep tonight.
It's very dark way too soon.

Thoughts on the empty corks and the few seeds:
I think (only guessing of course-because I note a fine grey film over some the darker inflated empty corks) because the corks are empty they may be slightly fungused ...put a few drops of peroxide into the soak water to ensure the fungus does not attack the seed .
It can't hurt and may make the difference.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8356593

Sounds like a good idea, esp. as I've had a few brug seedlings die suddenly of something like wilt. Always annoying, even when there are plenty of seeds.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2011
11:28 PM

Post #8356597

Here is an interesting thread ...it was we learners learning ...boy what I didn't know then.
All the lovely Brug lovers putting their two bob's worth in.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803784/
I knew I had read it somewhere before re fungus on pods.
Very important to dry them out as specially in humidity.
An anti fungus soak is a good idea.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8359651

Not much to show I am afraid ...but happy to see tiny new green leaves popping out of naked branches on my "boiled and grilled" brugs.
Still a bit scary because we are going to be hit with at least 2 more over 40C days next week (meaning the little fresh new leaves may be very vulnerable) and there are not many big leaves left to protect the baby leaves.
I guess it isn't much use having Brugmansias that can't take the big heat ...after all this is Australia and as much as I love them ...if they can't cope then they won't go on to be classic like old Apricot or Knightti.

Wayne I have your poor little Pink/Yellow (trashed by seering hot then blo*dy cold winds yesterday) blooming.
It's from a cutting ...it was hailed on too and lost it's first flush then and is bravely blooming again in atrocious conditions.
I think in better conditions it will be really quite a little darling.
Clearly (though not in the picture) very waxy, very petite, lovely yellow and warm pinks.
I haven't had a chance to smell the perfume due to the weather.
I have some of it growing in a shade position (this one is in full sun) and it will probably present will deeper shades than this one but I have to say this is a yummy gelato colour in real life.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8359672

My lilac Iochroma is up over the six ft fence and has darkened in colour in the sun ...it has kept it's leaves better than the Angels.
Lots of berries have set on it lower down so it is self fertile I think.
Look hard and you will see them somewhere mid picture ...sorry don't know how to zoom.
It has bloomed in sort of bouquets all up the trunk but it needed sun to make the colour deepen.
Some of the "bouquets" were of hundreds of tiny trumpets all stuffed tight almost into a ball, that was interesting and unexpected. This lot is just the normal loose presentation.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8359687

I think this year will try and test our Brugs, our gardens ...and us.
I hope Mya is ok ...Magnetic Island did suffer damage and El arish too (Ann)
Ann we hope you did not sustain too much ...it must have been frightening for you two and also many of our Northern friends.
Our thoughts are with you.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 7, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8359733

Not much going on with my brugs. They are looking green and there are buds. Very slow to open at the moment .
Chrissy. my Iochromas are totally neglected . Theya re out in the orchard in all weather. After losing a lot of leaves in the winter, they have grown to way over 6' now. I have the purple like your pic and also the red. They have the long narrow flowers that do tend to grow in clumps unlike the bell flowered ones that have looser flowers all over. I am thinking they definitely take to our multi climate mo re than the brugs. Very hardy little b***s.. They are a very spreading grower I find. My purple especially has branches reaching out and around at least 7' long.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8359836

Oh jean yes and it suckers too ...too funny really! I cut off the ones that were smothering the plants below and hey presto suckers ...^_^.
ha ha ha who would have thought when they were asking over 50.00 a seedling (and you had to buy 4 then some huge freight as well on top of that, the people were quite rude when I made enquiries) that they really are triffids!
My lovely Coral one is a shorter more bushy growth.
I think they enjoyed our prolonged cooler Spring and the colder Winter here, but what a surprise to find then ok with a heatwave???
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 7, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8360216

Chrissy, we may have one of the great survivors for our weird weather. I may chop a bit of two of mine which are near the greenhouse.
i just watered that area and I see the red is flowering again. They do grow quite leggy so I may just crop them all a bit to see if one gets more flowers.
Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 7, 2011
9:38 PM

Post #8360252

Chrissy that Brug certainly has gone through the wars! Thanks for the report back. Was that the one I dubbed "Calamine Lotion" because of it's colour, or another? Without checking I think it was an 'Aztec Gold' x noid from the same pod as 'Coral Reef'. Wish it was a little more impressive in bloom considering it's resilience!
Yes, our nursery seedlings have lost most of their leaves too. No lack of young leaves forming. I hope that forecast is proven wrong!
Your 'Twilight Time' is sitting still in 3 x 200mm pots. Leaves are holding well. Looking very much forward to this one growing in our home garden. :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8360281

Yes Wayne poor baby has copped it all but hey ...it's blooming even if battered so it's a strong Brug.;I
like the yellow/mango pinkWeisse bar kind of look and it would have been a huge flush if the weather had not trashed so many things.
I don't know if it is the Calamine one (I think that one bloomed a few months ago ...I did post but it was really frosty cold weather and the blooms were a bit frizzled . A solid almost ashes of roses colour.
This one was marked as PP cross ? probablyaurea: description yellow/pink.
It's definatley yellow margins and pink/mango/melon inners.
The funny thing is with this one there are no long tendrils. Lots of Aurea by the size.
I am really looking forward to watching it bloom again in Autumn.

Yes Jean that's it- chop it. It worked here ...I bet you can probably dig up the little suckers in Autumn/Winter to make some new plants ...hopefully it won't hurt the mother plant ...what do you think?
Wayne have you ever done that?
Must google on that.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 7, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8360285

Chrissy I have had plenty of success with striking suckers. Just use a sharp spade close to the trunk and grab some rootball. The top might wilt, but that is something nothing.

Root cuttings - only tried years back as a student project. Varing success. Just had B. suaveolens to play with at the time. Wild thing! :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 8, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8361113

No sign of any suckers on the Iochromas Chrissy. If any do come up , I would leave them to form a nice clump as the plants are out of the way of anything. Lots of suckers come from the brugs though. I usually leave them unless I want another plant so then just stick the piece in the same pot with mother. They grow well that way here.
Lots of buds opening slowly on Alphonse and Butter Bomb has buds for the first time for me.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 8, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8361294

B suaveolens--when I prune it, I have to carefully gather every tiny piece of pruned wood otherwise it ends up rooting in the compost where it's fallen. If only all brugs could strike so readily!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8361315

Yes the Brugs are easy to strike ...I meant the iochromas.
Only because they have a reputation for being "difficult" to propagate.

Any of the Brugmansias with visible nubbles will grow easily from cuttings ...yes even the dropped bits if there is moisture.

Take a look at your hybrid crosses ...note some have very few nubbles (little white slightly raised bumps), these are the ones harder to get going.
Each little nubble is a future root waiting to sprout.
In warm rainy weather they become more prominent as if waiting to fall down and take root.
Of course those of us that have grown a few know this ...this information is for the shy lurkers and newbies.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 8, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8361959

No, just cuttings of Iochromas and that is limited to this blue one. Which btw refused to bloom this season despite putting on huge growth. No, not a nitrogen OD, it is in quite poor soil. It has been cut back to 1.2m today to induce blooming.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8361980

They are so pretty Wayne ...mine have bloomed very well ...they are a different kind though.
I read somewhere that that one only blooms in Autumn ...must check that out again.
The seeds are ???? not sure Jean grew them out and sent me two little seedlings.
Have a look at these
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=Iochroma&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

I think of these as Fairy trumpets now ...
http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/118.htm
Yours looks like this but I think you said it was a Grandiflora that you had ...beautiful.
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/giant_iochroma.htm
Mine had bunches of blooms like some shown in the plant files.
Maybe a hundred in a cluster ip the stems.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2011 4:37 PM
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 8, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8361992

Iochroma cyaneum
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1315912.htm

There is a scarlet flowering one as well that I have not had success in growing.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 8, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8362007

If you want some of the Coral coloured iochroma fruits (they are full of teensy seeds) I will send you some as soon as they ripen.
They may throw different colours like the Brugs.I don't know.
It's a bit fiddly getting the seeds out of the sort squishy jelly ...I soak them till mushy them rub out onto a paper towel. Very tiny.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 9, 2011
1:17 AM

Post #8362016

Thanks Chrissy, but I will pass on your kind your offer. I have access to a plant and will try cuttings later when the weather settles.

"Squishy jelly"... :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8363679

Seedpod from my big floppy apricot seedling--it's big!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8363682

But look when I started peeling them--only those in the saucer have kernels. All the others are empty husks.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 9, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8363692

Oh no Cestrum. What do you think is going on, or is this normal with fertilisation? I soaked 12 more KnightiiX seeds last night and 3 were duds of the 12, so have planted the 9 to see what happens with this lot. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8363715

Definitely not normal! I probably didn't manage to brush enough pollen onto the stigma, or perhaps the pollen was past its peak and a little dry, or perhaps the stigma was past its peak and not sticky enough--or all three.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 9, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8363763

Cestrum, this is what happened with a seed pod I had a year or so back on an 'Old Apricot' x noid. The pod measured over 300mm in length. From memory, I sent some seeds to you Colleen and they were all sterile. Don't know the reason, just interesting in that it happened with an OA pod.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 9, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8363768

II think another reason is heat stress I am pretty sure somewhere or other I read that if the plant suffers heat stress, that it can cause embryos within the corks to abort.

So I pollinated ones in the sun and ones in the shade at the same time.
The ones in the shade are successful while the ones in sun are iffy.
Of course heat can cause the sticky patch on the stigma to dry quickly and or dry the pollen out fast.
All in all they "take" better in cooler temps and even then fertilize the blooms in the shaded part of the plant.

Some may be more sensitive than others too.
What a disappointment cestrum.
Never mind Autumn will soon arrive.
Hopefully without frost.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 9, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8363787

I had a look around and found this thread ...I remember seeing tiny holes in some empty corks last year, not mine.
But this year I found a pod half eaten (I hadn't removed the calyx ...didn't realize it had a bud in it) and the inside of the pod was half mush and poop. :(

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/368401/
sigh.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8363790

So, it happens. I'm not heartbroken because there are enough seeds left in that seedpod, and there are still so many pods on that plant. Will be interesting to see how many of the remaining seedpods have empty husks. And how the seeds I did recover end up germinating ...
Wayne, I find that the open-pollinated seedpods on my Old Apricot more often than not contain only empty husks. But those I cross-pollinate myself normally contain viable seeds.
PS Back in the early days, before I thought to spot check my seeds, I sent out quite a few empty corks. Mainly to Brian, I think!

This message was edited Feb 10, 2011 4:19 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 9, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8363798

Yes I think you need to give nature a helping hand if you want a good cross.
We don't all have Wayne's or your magical moths ...until I crossed my own by hand nary a pod did I find. ^_^
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 10, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8364676

All fascinating! So much to learn and share from experience.

Interesting that you mentioned moths Chrissy. A couple of years back, our neighbors did some redevelopment of their property. This necessitated the removal of an ancient white cedar (Melia azedarach). Those of you familiar with this tree will also know of the caterpillar that devastates it. Point here; tree gone, caterpillars gone, no moths...
No open pollinated Brug pods!

Have a great day. For me, I become "Wayne the concreter"!
A new project now it is a bit cooler.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8364730

Hello all.
I just went out to check the garden after a very lovely 30 points of rain. The brugs are all slurping . Alphonse has 9 flowers on the end of one small branch. 2 are open but the perfume is disappointing . You can only just smell it when you stick your nose near the flower. Its quite warm out there so I guess hes just being temperamental. On the other hand , my best boy, GHA is again full of buds with just the one opened so far and the perfume has drifted around the garden. You can smell it before you get to him. would be interested to hear how any of his offspring are going in the different climates. I know he loves being at Chrissys place. How is he doing elsewhere ?
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 10, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8364739

Jean GHA was doing very poorly here, but I've repotted him and put him into the sun more and now he looks quite happy. No buds on him yet though. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8364802

Colleen, I have my largest GHA next to the greenhouse where he gets some shade in late afternoon from a large gum tree. He gets full sun until around lunchtime . I think he is much better in the sun than most of my others which seem to prefer being under shadecloth.
He is in a large pot and has been since he was a little thing. He is now over 6'high and probably has roots into the ground. I won't be moving him as he is happy.
I may have to remove a new growth though. It has nearly reached as high as he is.
I will take the whole thing off in one piece and pot as a standard. The other GHA is in the ground and was cut right back as it was badly burnt with the severe frost we had last year. It has started growing with many shoots. It gets a lot more sun too, being away from any shade trees. The heat didnt ever bother it much so I would say it is very sun hardy .
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8365149

Jean Alphonse Mucha has no day fragrance.
It has a strong evening fragrance but the night needs to be warm.
You can smell even just one bloom from twenty ft away.

What do you think of the bloom? Alistair aptly described it as ''languid" ^_^ I agree.
AM didn't enjoy the cold Winter and prolonged cool Spring.

Yes GHA keeps it's fragrance into the morning and even all day in mild conditions.
I think that must be why the Brug fans overseas are so besotted with Aureas ...can't say I blame them for that!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 10, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8365245

Mango Kornet is flowering again. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8365409

Chrissy this is my 4th year of Alphonse blooming. I must say he does look a bit limp compared to some. Much bigger flower of course but yes, languid is a good adjective for him.
There are 9 flowers. Two are open and the rest will soon follow. The first year , his one flower was white. Second year a bit of pinkish apricot after opening lemon. Last year opening yellow , turning white then a going a nice light spotted pink/apricot.
So far the first flower this year has opened yellow and gone white.
I also have 9 large buds on your ButterBomb . First flowering .
Frosty is budding up again. I must say, when he gets going he rivals GHA in producing many flushes of blooms. The pods on Perfect Harmony x The Chief are growing by the day.
Rain here today so theya re all looking happy.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 10, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8365581

I can hardly wait to see your reaction to Butter Bomb ...a top favourite of mine!
It has it all (for a single of course).
Don't forget to let us know what you think.
Alphonse Mucha was my very first view (and smell) of a real Hybrid.
I guess we tend to love one for different reasons.
Probably whatever is in bloom clutches us into it's spell.
Each and everyone is a revelation.
I will never forget the first time I looked into that cute Glass House Angel face ...it grabbed my heart!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 10, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8365620

No matter how pretty or how scented any others are. GHA is my very first and favorite.
Lovely flower, heavenly scent and hardy above all others here for me.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2011 3:36 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2011
1:01 AM

Post #8367548

After all the heat ...some blessed relief.
First just sprinkling then full on rain this afternoon.
Hopefully the poor Brugs will leap back into gear before long.

The sunny parts of the garden were looking so sad after the blast furnace winds and heat.
Dianne 2 of your seedlings survived ...I thought all the (small )seedlings were toast but some have recovered.
Let's hope the few hot days yet to come won't be as unkind as predicted.
I heard Graham Ross talking about Helen's open garden ...didn't catch the date sorry,
He was full of praise.
I saw Mya sitting in a flooded street scene on facebook ...no words but she looked ok.
I hope she didn't suffer too much damage to her home beautiful garden.
To all of our Northern friends we are thinking of you.
When everything settles down let us know if you have lost any plants we may be able to help you with.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8368337

Alphonse Mucha yesterday.
No lovely apricot color he had last year , just the barest hint of it as each flower ages.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 12, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8368348

Look at his beautiful tendrils though Jean. I just got told , Cameren thinks I have enough Brugmansias. lol Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8368367

Colleen, you will have to teach him, it is never enough of any plant. Theres always a little space for just one more. Ha ha.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 12, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8368451

This is Brian's Aztec Gold X second day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 12, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8369217

I don't think that the SanguineaXArborea seeds are going to be any good. I soaked them overnight and when I went to plant them this morning all but 5 were just mush with nothing in them. The other 5 looked like they were starting to shoot but I don't hold out much hope for them. 5 of the seeds I didn't soak and thought that I'm probably not losing anything so I just put them in too. I think that in hind-sight I should have planted them straight away, but never mind I can always try again. Colleen
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 12, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8369230

Hang in there Colleen, it might just be one lucky seed that sprouts!

Good luck.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 12, 2011
10:43 PM

Post #8369248

Thanks Wayne, I hope you're right. I've been so excited about these seeds. Can anyone tell me please? I have a brug that is marked Frosty Pink, and I've no reason to doubt this, But the flower is white. I know that they come out white, but this has stayed white all day, no pink at all. The flower is the same shape with the lines down it and even the little tendrils, but white. Will wait til later and see if they open up with the cool of evening and then take a pic to show you. Colleen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 13, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8369275

another pic of Brian's Aztec Gold X.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 13, 2011
1:18 AM

Post #8369276

A pic of the white brug that I was talking about before. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 13, 2011
1:43 AM

Post #8369278

That last photo almost looks like a Datura flower from when I'm sitting, lol

Nice one, Colleen.
Well, I think if it doesn't turn pink then it may well not be frosty pink.
Maybe it could be the weather?
Has it always flowered white?
I believe my 'frosty pink' has ever so slightly longer tendrils, but I saw one that the grower was adamant was frosty pink but it had hairy leaves, though on mine they are almost completely smooth.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 13, 2011
2:53 AM

Post #8369298

Lovely pics ...that cross looks like it's trying to turn pink around the edges Colleen.

Nice shape.
Frosty Pink can dawdle a bit before colouring in funny weather ...give it another day or two, though it does look a bit different.
Bad luck with the seeds ...never mind you will soon be able to cross them with your own arboreas.
Love Alphonse Mucha ^_^ nice pic .
Lucas the leaves can look different depending on whether they are on juvenile or flowering parts of the plant.
Quite often they may look very different.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 13, 2011
3:02 AM

Post #8369300

lucas and Chrissy the brug in question is exactly the same shape and tendrils as my other Frosty Pinks which are flowering now too. This particular one has never flowered before. My others always come out white but with in hours have turned pink. This one has not changed all day. I will get back to you tomorrow. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 13, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8369324

Colleen have you sniffed that white "FP"in the night?
It kinda looks like my suaveolens (species).
Check out the shorter tendril length ...and the perfume is quite different to FP.
More lily fragrance, quite exotic.
Here is an old pic of mine ...see the tendril length.
This plant is a parent to FP so it may resemble it.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 13, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8369344

Chrissy I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I will take another smell in the morning. Good night. Colleen
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 14, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8372788

I'm back and OK,poor Ann in el-arish took a real whopping, copping.when it's like that you just get on with it,all i can say is thankgoodness for insurance!!!!!!

The bay I live in Horseshoe Bay got quite a storm surge on Yasi's tail,our Foreshore was destroyed but they are slowly cleaning up, had about 1 metre high of sand deposited on the road and in the parks,it's now 13 days since yasi and they are still working 8 hour days clearing it up with earth moving equip.the pic below is of the toilet block 300metres from our home,we were lucky no surge as we are protected but lots and lots of tree damage.4 coconuts downed on our power/phone lines and not one fallen towards the house,all fell away from the home,the debris cleanup is enormous.We got the equivalent of a Cat3 Ann would have got the Cat 4.

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 14, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8372790

here's a pic of one of the undercover picnic areas,amazing

Thumbnail by MyaC

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8372824

Oh Mya how did your garden fair? is it under tons of sand ? washed or blown away.
Your home ok?
Thanks for the low down on Ann poor things.
If you need any replacement bits let us know won't you.
So glad you are ok that's the most important thing.

We all cried watching everything unfold as it was happening

...60 mins last night had us sobbing over the young pregnant mum who thought her two young children dead as they were were swept away in the home ...later as she clung to a pole with a baby in her arms, the baby was torn from her arms.
The baby didn't survive, nor did the woman's mum or mum in law.
Her two children were found alive the little girl floating on the lounge up against the ceiling and the little boy standing on the shower taps clinging on to the top of the shower.
To be so powerless ...so helpless ...so terrified.
Can't begin to imagine how everyone felt.
So very happy you are alright.
Hugs Mya and Ann too if she can see this.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 15, 2011
1:10 AM

Post #8372847

All best Mya. Keep us posted as to when you will be getting your garden together. Whatever we can send up to you from ours here will be a pleasure.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 15, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8372859

Mya whatever I can send I will too. So glad that you're okay. Colleen
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 15, 2011
2:59 AM

Post #8372864

Chrissy that is so sad about that young mother and the baby,I couldn't imagine being that terrified.

I knew about Yasi for 10 days before she hit so I had lots of time to pack and take with me what I wanted .My other hobby besides gardening is weather watching and I was well informed way before the authorities about the potential destruction of that low that was forming and later called Yasi.I can tell you that when we saw this weather system out there and calculated the projection of her path and the calculated date of landfall(on a high tide)I clamoured for my insurance policy to make sure I was well and truely covered.Without being an alarmist,I encouraged everyone that would listen to me to make sure that they were heavily insured,some took my advise and some thought I was crazy until the news picked up on Yasi but by then the insurance companies had an embargo on updating or buying new policies.Townsville got away with only a Cat 3 but I'm afraid to even think what Ann's place must look like after being hit by a strong Cat4,power will be a problem for weeks further up north.

Thanks all for the offer of plants but I have an insurance policy that pays for all the plants destroyed.It was quite hard to go around after and find what had survived and what hadn't.I was quite depressed to see the destruction of the garden,my house had no damage but the garden really suffered.We are really quite lucky because we are having great sunshine throughout the day and refreshing rain throughout the night so whatever will revive will.This is a picture the day after the cyclone ,quite heartbreaking but at least I have a house with a roof ,can you see that coconut tree without its head...

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 15, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8372865

Here's my pre cyclone insurance pics, taken 7 days before the cyclone.

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 15, 2011
3:07 AM

Post #8372866

just one more I'm not quite sure if my fabulous frangi will survive,time will tell...

Thumbnail by MyaC

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2011
4:40 AM

Post #8372924

It will survive I am sure.
The pictures are awful ...so sorry.
Our very best wishes to everyone up that way, hopefully it won't happen again in this lifetime.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8373738

While we are waiting for Jean to start a new thread with Butter Bomb ...I thought you might like to have a look at this ...(I still have the first and most most of the issues of this magazine)
http://www.earthgarden.com.au/portal/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=82&thread_id=8235&pid=82097#post_82097
I hope the link works.
A great article on the 28 spotted ladybird.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2011 8:24 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8373894

Hello all. You will have to wait a day or two more. Butterbomb is opening slowly. Todays heat may speed her up a bit.
Heres Alphonse yesterday evening . You can see a shade of orange appearing down the ribs. I do love his twisty tendrils.
This morning as the flowers are almost wilting, he is apricot all over.
Chrissy, in the background is a triffid creeper. It was a teeny cutting from you a few years ago and was very slow to grow. Certainly makes up for it now. I have to keep it cut back but it has never flowered at all.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8373900

Here you can see Butterbombs buds.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8373905

Who else but GHA> Another flush of blooms.
If you look carefully, you can see the second trunk just behind the main one. This has grown as high as the main one and has flowers.
I am going to cut it off and plant as a standard.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2011 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8373908

Finally a pic of part of the brug area under shadecloth. They seem to like it . The others live out the front under the cypress tree.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8373941

Mya, good to see that you're safe and sound, fantastic that the house is OK too. Never heard of insurance for garden plants but that sounds pretty terrific :-) (I wouldn't worry about that frangipani--it will grow from whatever pieces are left over.) After you've made your claim/s and been reimbursed, you might not be able to replace the rarer plants, so let us know if we can help you out there. (The tiny cuttings of variegated shrimp plant and that Dianthera nodosa (aka Justicia nodosa) are waiting for you, when you're ready to start restocking.)
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 16, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8376401

Seedlings...

'Fernando' x 'Old Apricot' (Allan Little)
'Fernando' x 'Musketeer' (Allan Little)

B. knightii x noid (Cestrum x 2)

Thank you!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2011 4:54 PM

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 16, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8376417

Guess what I found inside yesterday. A hawk moth. Maybe I'll get naturally pollinated flowers after all. Won't hold my breathe though. Jean I can't wait for GHA to start flowering here. He's beautiful. Great work Wayne. How are you? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 16, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8376428

Wayne, lovely to see those seedlings growing. Just a query: was Fernando the pod parent of those two batches of seedlings from Allan's seeds? It's just that mine were labelled 'Musketeer x Fernando' and 'Old Apricot x Fernando', indicating that it was the pollen that came from Fernando.
Oh Colleen, do you *need* any more brug seeds LOL Although there's nothing like harvesting your own, I must admit ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 16, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8376430

Yeh Cestrum, like a hole in the head. lol. Colleen
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

February 16, 2011
10:48 PM

Post #8376435

Fine thanks Colleen, very busy with work. I will be glad when autumn arrives.

Good point Cestrum! These seeds came via Chrissy, so I presume the same batch as yours. Maybe Allan can help us if he is still tuned in here. I think I might have his email address, so will confirm that point.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2011
12:29 AM

Post #8376455

What little darlings Wayne :)
It's possible I made a mistake with the seed info because I went back to find the empty pkts (some of them anyway) and Fernado is the pollen parent on these pkts.
There may have been other pkts (some have been discarded once I sent them out).
I am very sorry if there has been an error and I reversed the names, I really can't remember.
One of the reasons I gave up doing the seed bank is sheer tiredness and constant interruptions what with my brother's needs etc.
I found I could no longer give it the attention it needed.

What I didn't tell you is a relative of mine was here "helping" for a while and sadly she tossed out what she thought was a box of rubbish. Not her fault, mine.
It was all my very best crosses all packed and ready to go.
I went into mourning for a bit.
Then I realized I probably could no longer give everything the attention I once did.
The load is easing a little now and there is always another season.
Once again sorry ...I am sure the brug babies will be beautiful just look at those parents.
Loving the pictures!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 17, 2011
12:39 AM

Post #8376458

I checked the yellow envelope in which Chrissy sent Allan's seeds, and they were labelled the way I typed them above (i.e. pollen from Fernando). Here are two of those crosses looking very lanky because they've received insufficient light growing on the second tier of the mini-greenhouse. (Hence my trip to Bunnings to buy another one last week.) I don't dare take them out of the m-g for fear of what all the snails/slugs/hopping insects would do to them--you can see that something's been munching on them even in the m-g. I've been spraying with coffee but perhaps it was too diluted--either that or I'm breeding some super-caffeinated breed of bugs in my m-gs! Today I added some tea-tree oil to the coffee spray to see if it makes a difference. (I don't like using poisons.)

BTW, my seeds were dated spring 2010 ...

Oh no, Chrissy--what a loss!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2011 6:47 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8376462

Oh those poor little babies need some sun.
Gently does it though.
Find the scars from the "nurse" leaves (cot leaves) and plant them up to the scar marks.
That way they will make many more roots before Winter.
Yep just like tomatoes do.
Looks like grasshopper damage.
Yes I don't use poison but sometimes I feel like digging out a flame thrower or something!
I dated Allan's seeds Spring 2010 because there was no date but I am pretty sure that was right because that is when I received them.
Good luck with them ...most exciting.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2011 5:47 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8377673

At last , she opens. Butterbomb has arrived. I opened the new thread with her here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1159227/
Jean.
SOOKYCHOOKY
brisbane
Australia

May 21, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9132453

hi i also grow these wonderful plants now for over 20 years and love them. have most colours and see a lot of your photos have bugs and grub problems. have you tried rogor. i use this every month and have no problems then with bugs , as you know every known bug loves the brugs, i think they get a high from them. but Rogor seems to work for me . i use it very weak not full strength as it pretty potent as you might remember the older version. hope this helps you. also the new fernando is it as pink as they say. i have red hot pink and it only that coulour for one day , then changes to a burnt orange pinky colour ans well as the hot pink, in winter its pale pink. any thought would help me out

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 22, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9134305

Hi SOOKY CHOOKY would you like to join us in our current thread ?
Here it is ^_^
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259956/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America