Can't Sleep? What do you think of this?

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

A friend gave me a Lazy Cake. This is a square not very appetizing looking brownie/cake....No not a funny brownie!! Anyway, I thought "this is NOT going to work, she is so gullible". She paid three bucks for this 3 x3 cellophane wrapped cake-thing. In it is valerian (spell?) melatonin, acaci berry, and a few other herbs (?) and products. It tasted ok-- Not great and I thought "wasted ingestion of calories" (and $$).
I just ate a small piece -- the info on it said it was produced in an area where it may be exposed to tree nuts (fine with me) and said not for kiddies, no driving or machinery, check with doc if you take meds, etc., and so I was wary. Didn't think it would work, but don' t like to mess with herbs and warning labels. Anyway the darn thing worked!!! No kidding. I am not an easily convinced person... Not big on herbals or things not tested etc. This cake actually worked. I've never seen an ad for it. Sold in a wee grocery store. She ate the entire thing and said it made her very sleepy and calm. I don't know about calm but that small piece made me feel very sleepy.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

As you may note, I am posting this at ~3:00 a.m. Do I need a sleep aid? Oh, yes! I read some comments about them, and they seem to work so well that some people think they're dangerous. Apparently it's the melatonin that does it, but I just ordered some of these Lazy Cakes to see for myself. Might be cheaper to just take melatonin. Here's the site I found for ordering...
http://www.bakedworld.com/store/

I'll report back after trying them.

--pen

Well -- I am THE most doubting person with regard to these sorts of treatments (Over the Counter -- not scientifically tested etc etc.) and I just couldn't believe it. You are right I took the wrapper to work and had one of the dieticians look at it and she said just eating half gives a tremendous amount of melatonin. Now to learn if there are safe levels of melatonin identified.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/melatonin-000315.htm

Read this site presentation - very interesting.

I take Melatonin every day and don't sleep worth a hoot - most likely due to menopause and trash trucks running at 3 a.m.!

Would be very glad to have you report back -- would like to know if I had a placebo effect ---- but I doubt that because I actually forgot about eating that small piece - I ate it because it was in my purse and I was starving. (I was in the car ;0) ) Anyway, when I realized I did feel it - and only after aprox a fourth of it, it was really a shock. Again I will look forward to your product review.

I will check out that site Kay.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

When I go to bed at night, I was having tons of trouble falling asleep. It was just impossible to "turn off my brain"..............stuff whirling around in there. Mentioned it to my DIL and she told me to try some melatonin........she had a few tablets and let me try them. They help for me almost all the time. I'm not going to argue with it. I only take one, as per directions...........wonder if 2 would be an overdose?

The dietician told me that the cakes have a lot more than a typical 'dose' ---actually she said a half cake has more than double the dose. I don't know if 'safe' levels have been identified and lots of things not controlled or regulated.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Got my cakes in the mail, and I have eaten a half cake each of the last two nights. Yes, I think they relax me a bit, but they don't actually make me sleepy. There's 55 calories in a half cake--and they are expensive--so I think when I finish these I'll try the melatonin in pill form. Here's a link with lots of good info on melatonin. NOTE that the older you are, the lower the dosage should be. Also note that the older you are, the less melatonin your body makes and the more you might need to take a supplement. Be very careful taking this if you are on other meds. Talk to your doc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Thanks after reading your response - I looked at mine and I said it made me sleepy. I misspoke - it wasn't sleepy it was less awake..if that makes sense. I am failry high strung and it was a very calming --no tense muscles - feeling. Not the sort of sleepy you get when you take a sleeping pill... more of a relaxed and ready to sleep feeling. I agree - Never take a calorie that is not enjoyed!!! HA! Pill is better but not sure how pill compares in cost etc.

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

How To Choose Foods That Help You Sleep (an article in my local newspaper 2/11/2011)

Caffeine is known to keep people awake at night, as are big meals and fatty, sugary or spicy foods. On the flip side, 'there is some information that certain foods help with sleep," says Kathe Henke, Laboratory director for the 'Sleep Disorders Center of Virginia in Henrico, VA.

Think tryptophan.
The brain used this amino acid to make serotonin and melatonin, substances that promote sleep, Foods high in tryptophan are protein-rich items such as daily products, sea-food,meat, poultry, whole grains, beans, lentils, peanuts, eggs and sesame seeds.

Combine Protein with Carbohydrates
Complex carbohydrates allow more tryptophan to enter the brain, while protein-rich foods alone may interfere with sleep because they contain another amin acid that perks up the brain, Some smart combinations: peanut butter or grilled chicken on whole wheat bread or hummus on whole-grain pita slices.

Add some calcium
Calcium helps the brain use tryptophan to create melatonin. So have a bowl of low sugar cereal with milk, a carton of Greek yogurt or some low fat cheese on whole grain crackers, or that old standby, a glass of warm milk (do not add chocolate to milk)

and magnesium
This mineral plays a role in serotonin production and may also help relax muscles through-out your body. Good sources include almonds, bananas, beans, spinach, soybeans, and whole-grain brown rice.

Keep it light and healthy
Big evening meals, especially those high in fat, keep the digestive system churning longer. Sugary junk foods cause blood sugar to spike and then fall rapidly, which can trigger the release of stress hormones.

Grab some cherries
Tart cherries naturally boost melatonin levels, according to research from the universities of Pennsylvania and Rochester, Eat them fresh or dried or have a small glass of cherry juice.

I think it's the trypophan in the turkey that makes everyone sleepy on Thanksgiving.
i'v been known to eat cereal to help with falling asleep.
I also have used Excedrin PM (good stuff)

Sweet Dreams......
Sue

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Melatonin isn't very expensive. it comes in 1,2 &3 mg's... I have the 3 mg tablets, I bought this bottle at cosco for 5.89 and it has 300 tablets in it...they also have Melatonin Plus, Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: 1 Tablet
Amount Per Serving - % Daily Value:
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride) 10 mg - 500%, L-Theanine 25 mg - *, Melatonin 3 mg - *.

Theanine promotes stress relief and calmness.† Theanine is an amino acid naturally found in green tea that has historically been used as a relaxing agent. By adding theanine, Schiff® Melatonin Plus provides an additional benefit by helping relieve anxiety so that a person can wind down before falling asleep, and once asleep, to sleep more soundly throughout the night.

Calcium also aids in the help to fall asleep... :)

Hope this helps :D

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Or just try some Sleepytime tea...never had it before.... I was asleep in an hour

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm like Missingrosie, very high strung, hyperactive. Melatonin and Valerian root DO help relax most people and help them fall asleep. I had begun to take it because I only slept a couple hours a night. I wouldn't get sleep, but when I started taking melatonin and valerian root both before bed, I'd fall asleep. I'd still only sleep 4 or 5 hours, but that was much better than 2.

Along with insomnia, I was also feeling "wired" all day, on edge, my mind racing so fast I couldn't even catch a single thought. I felt like I had 10 cups of coffee in an hour all the time. I finally went to the doctor.

Apparently, due to constant stress over the years, my brain had shut off the producton of serotonin and norenepherine--the chemicals that make us calm and relaxed and happy. He said it's called clinical depression. I didn't feel depressed or sad, wasn't suicidal or anything like that. But he put me on Cymbalta to stimulate the production of those chemicals. And I LOVE it. OMG, if anyone ever tries to take it away from me, I'll be worse than a mama bear protecting her cubs!

I feel "normal" again, like I used to be many years ago. I feel calm and happy. Very little bothers me. My blood pressure and glucose levels have gone down considerably. And I SLEEP!! I get 7-9 hrs every night. I don't wake up in the middle of the night and watch tv for hours. I sleep thru the night and then wake up ready to tackle my chores. And I can THINK again. It's really amazing. I have a sense of humor again. I'm organized and focused again. I had lost myself to stress, but this magic pill has changed my life.

So if any of you have any of the symptoms I have had, please ask your doc about Cymbalta or some other "magic pill". You may need more than a few herbs. I never thought I'd be on an anti-depressant, but here I am and loving it!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

My sister-in-law has used melatonin when needed for years. It always works for her. I have so much trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep that I used Excedrin P.M.s for awhile and it worked. But it has acetomenophin in it (like Tylenol) and too much of that can give you liver problems so I finally got a prescription from my doctor which works sometime. Mostly I have problems with breathing when I lay down and some problems with diverticulosis which gives me a lot of gas.
Anyway, my SIL works for Gaia Herbs He gave me a bottle of "Sound Sleep" which is an herbal mix. It has Valerian Root, Kava-kava rhizome, Passionflower vine, California Poppy, skullcap herb and hops. Oddly, no melatonin. So far, not much help but it's hard to judge when pain causes you to get up at 3 a.m. and walk the floors.
I have a check up at the doctor's next month and hope he can be more help with my side and breathing.
Anyway, I would not be afraid of the melatoin; it's been around a long time is most folks get a lot of help from it.

Wood... please hold off on the herbal with valerian root. You want to hold off until the doc clears you of any type of cardiac dysfunction (if you have lung issues--- you wouldn't just have difficult breathing at night--- so could be cardiac) Ditto the tylenol PM there are many issues with those drugs (similiar to cold medications) and heart and lung vasculature -- so until the heart is given a clean billl of health you may want to stay away from herbals, cold preps including the sleep aids, and salt.

Well, it doesn't seem to work anyway so I will lay off. I have a prescription for Ambien and it works OK although I take 1-1/2. I also try to drink a little milk with it before going to bed.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I had always heard don't drink milk with your drugs. It coats your stomach so you don't absorb the full impact of the drug. You might verify that with your doc.

Ulcer patients used to betold to drink milk or even cream to coat their stomach again strong stomach acids. Turn out that just made things worse as fats are harder to digest. Besides now they now know ulcers are caused by an infection.
I doubt milk coats my stomach because I drink 1% milk. Our stomachs are too slippery with acids and other digestive juices for anything to stick to, anyway.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Some drugs do specifically say not to drink milk or dairy products within an hour or two of taking them because their effectiveness can be diminished. I remember an antibiotic I took a couple years ago for a kidney infection had that stipulation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images