Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Napping in the Graveyard Moss: Euphorbia cyparissias

Communities > Forums > Article: Napping in the Graveyard Moss
bookmark
Forum: Article: Napping in the Graveyard MossReplies: 10, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 1, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8342509

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=EUCY2&mapType=nativity&photoID=eucy2_001_ahp.tif

Here is the native distribution of Euphorbia cyparissias. It looks like a beautiful little plant. I haven't noticed it around here. I wonder why its considered invasive? Does it have underground runners? The euphorbs have such interesting leaf forms.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

February 1, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8342767

The euphorbia you're writing about is not the same as the one I read about in the Daily Mail (UK), which is euphorbia peplus. I suspect many types of euphorbias exist. Are all euphorbias poisonous? I would tend to think so. Every one that I have read about in any source is said to be poisonous, but no doubt some exist that I have never heard of.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 1, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8343056

I see that it is on the current Mass. prohibited list. Wonder why it skipped Manitoba, he hee.
How is it related to the garden euphorbia which has the stinging sap? Sharon did any of you resting children have skin irritations because of napping?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8343720

Hi Gloria,
Thanks for the map and for reading the article. Yes, they do have runners, miles of them, but I just get rid of the unwanted ones in spring and in fall, maybe sometimes in between. It's still one of my favorites.

Dolly, I think they are toxic if ingested. I've only known the details of this particular one, so I can't speak for the others.

Lucy, the sap of all of them can sting those who are susceptible to it. It's like an allergy, I think.

I don't remember that any of us had skin irritations from it, but I was exposed at an early age to lots of things that never bothered me. Can't say the same about poison ivy, though. Even now I can walk through a swarm of mosquitoes and they run the other way. Strange, huh?
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 1, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8344034

eating garlic is supposed to repel mosquitoes and also sweat bees. It does a good job on prospective boyfriends also.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8344117

I swear Gloria, I laughed so loud the cats ran out of the room.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

February 2, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8345584

Actually I was thinking of my personal experience when I worked on an all-male crew in a soybean field.

There are a lot of sweat bees in soybean fields and I ate a lot of garlic to repell them. I was also able to maintain my professionalism with no problem in spite of working with 20-30 men.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8346088

That's even funnier.
I've never seen it listed in medicinal uses of garlic, though.
Maybe I should re write the article and include it.

And strangely enough, I can see how it would work!
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

February 7, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8358459

Hi Sharon,
I have this plant growing in my garden in Mass. It is spreading, but I just pull it out wherever I don't want it. One of your readers wrote that it is on the current prohibited list in Mass. I bought it at a small garden center in Mass about 5 years ago. I wonder if that dealer knows that it is prohibited. I will pull it all out this spring since it is starting to take over my yard, and I don't want to grow it if it is prohibited.
I grew a different Euphorbia from seed one year and it is the most difficult thing to get rid of. Pretty, but a nuisance. I have actually found it seeded way on the other side of the house from where it originally grew. I got rid of it about 5 years ago and it still pops up from time to time. Maybe it's also called spurge because it is so difficult to get rid of and you can't spurge your yard of it.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8359030

I hope it isn't ever prohibited in KY, there'd be a lot of old cemeteries up on barren hillsides. It usually grew around the perimeter of the cemetery, I wonder now if it helped prevent erosion.

It's a very pretty soft plant and I love the mint green bloom clusters. They are one of the first spring blooms.
Good luck with yours, gardengirl.

Beekeepthyme
Georgetown, FL

November 5, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9325551

What a beautifully written memory! Enjoyed it very much. It's different these days, isn't it? Cemeteries seem such lonely places with few people. In Mexico the people seem to still enjoy it as a good place to visit and remember. Lovely story.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Napping in the Graveyard Moss Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wisdom and Love gwen21 12 Feb 7, 2011 11:49 PM
Eurphorbus Dollykat 3 Feb 2, 2011 8:24 PM
The sweet smell of spurge liz_crbnsl 1 Feb 7, 2011 8:37 AM
Spurge 3pmp 1 Feb 7, 2011 10:02 AM
graveyard moss and writing annhelen 1 Feb 7, 2011 1:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America