Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Xeriscape Gardening: Frost protection

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jpgreen
Roswell, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8342551

We are supposed to get down to -1 tonight here in roswell and i have some LARGE agaves to cover, anyone have any clever ideas?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8345205

What ever you do don't use plastic and if you cover with cloth don't let it touch the plant. Maybe just an Umbrella over top will do the trick as the frost may settle on the top of the umbrella and not on the plant.
Can they take any frost at all? Some Agaves can in which case -1 is not a big deal.
Would a sprinkler going over night help like they do in Florida with the orange groves?

I hope someone else has an idea that will work for you.
Ann
jpgreen
Roswell, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8345250

most of my agave will do fine to five degrees, tonight is -3. the natives will be fine but A. americana, A. chrysantha, and A. victoria-reginae not so. I've got lamps on under tarps now, now my issue is the 15' Eucalyptus
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8345602

JpGreen
Hi
I have never had a Eucalyptus that large but I can tell you that when the frost hits us up here they are hardy and I have them as seedlings/anuals in pots. They out do many other plants due to the oil in their leaves. Do they drop the leaves in your parts? If so I would think they can take some frost as they are an oily tree but I am only guessing. Lamps under tarps will help a lot and as long as the tarp is not touching the foliage you will be fine. I used seed heating mats last spring when we had a turn to the -O's and managed to save most of my babies in my greenhouse as that heat rising was all they needed.
Good luck I hope tomorrow you can tell me all is good!
Ann
jpgreen
Roswell, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8346497

Strung christmas lights along the trunk and a 200watt blub in the branches then wrapped it in a canvas tarp. E.microtheca is supposed to be evergreen to 5 degrees but froze to the main trunk last year at 3. we'll see how much good it did at -6 this morning.
Jesse
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 3, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8347010

Jesse
I sure hope that did the trick! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Ann
jpgreen
Roswell, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8347047

thanks, up there you probably think these temps are a joke
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 3, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8347078

Jesse, No joke when you think you may loose a precious plant or two!
That "freeze" thing we are used to and still we seem surprized when it arrives occasionaly too soon.
I too do funny things to try and prolong the life of some plant that is special. My neighbors laugh when theres stuff all over my yard and box's on containers when Hail is suspected or when I'm running around with plywood to lean against a fence to protect new babies from another of Mother Natures shows of force.
I do hope you made it through the night unscathed.
Bye the way I think we warmed up to 0 today after 20 days of colder than -20 C it feels like spring!
Ann
jpgreen
Roswell, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8347096

Move south! My wife didn't think it was funny that I put up more christmas lights than we did at christmas but I did. Also looks like there was a bubble-wrap tornado in the front yard!
Jesse
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 3, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8347280

Jesse you are now in trouble cause she knows that more lights can go up!
I actualy like the winter as it gives a big change and the sky is so blue and the ground so white. I'm not a west coast grey sky person.

I use bubble wrap in my green house to make the space smaller for my seedlings in early spring. The bubble wrap is used like a wall not touching the plants and a timer turns on the heat mats for the night only.
It is getting lighter every day here and come june it will be light from 5 am till 11 pm and you can't beat daylight for plants. So I guess I cram all my growing in instead of spreading it out the whole year.
Ann
jpgreen
Roswell, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8350894

We enjoy the clear sky too, 360 days/year! but we certainly dont have those 50 pound cabbages either ... and yes more lights next year :(
Jesse

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America