Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Napping in the Graveyard Moss: Wisdom and Love

Communities > Forums > Article: Napping in the Graveyard Moss
bookmark
Forum: Article: Napping in the Graveyard MossReplies: 12, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8343346

This is a wonderful reminder that graveyards can be places of comfort as well as mourning. How fortunate was your childhood that you were surrounded by two such loving and wise ladies.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8343407

I agree--fortunate for us, too, so we can enjoy all the stories.
A friend of mine said her mother used to call this sedum "graveyard moss", too:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1893/
I guess it depends on which graveyard you visit, lol. We have some of the kind in the article (we have both, actually), and it is pretty, especially in bloom. It does spread easily, but it's in a spot where we need a lot of groundcover (steep muddy hill).
Thanks for another fun story, Sharon!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8343706

Gwen, thank you. It's nice that you caught that underlying message. Sometimes I'm never sure if my subtle thoughts make their way to the surface of the articles.

KY, I have the same sedum, and it grew along the banks of my mom's flower beds too. I never knew it was called graveyard moss.
Thanks!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8343730

Sharran, again, I almost stop breathing, reading your stories. I was carried away by the image of everyone caring for the graves and grass. I was almost there.

I love the things that were told to you and I can see why you drank it all in. It was mysterious and mystic. I wonder how many of your playmates listened, and how many were just happy to play games and take a nap when they were tired.

This was a story that gave me a feeling of old times.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8343926

Oh my goodness, Sally!! Don't stop breathing! I couldn't do without you.

I have a cousin who is only a few months older than I am. She was at many of the same places and with many of the same people as I was. Yet she has none of the same memories. She was more in touch with the maternal side of our family, and I was with my paternal grandmother more, and of course Aunt Bett lived very close by me. And my cousin grew up in a town that was about 10 miles away from me. I grew up in the head of a holler. So...there were differences. I suspect there were differences among all the children. I don't know anyone else who will look at a wildflower and start telling a story. I probably bore a lot of people when that happens.

I guess it must have depended on the child, I don't know.

I do know I don't regret a single minute of my experiences.

Thanks, BP, more than you know.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8343986

You never have to worry about boring US, Sharon, that's for sure! :)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8344015

Thanks, Renee.
Thanks so much.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8344224

Sharan--OH! What memories you bring to my mind withis article...

I LOVE, LOVE old Graveyards--I could spend hours and days in these old Cemetaries.

Cemeteries of the "Old Countries", like mine, .where Monuments of Angels and Statues
of grieving, symbolic persons, in many sad reposes on the tomb stones are everywhere.
Many of more than life-size. Maidens in National dress--and young men, in their
war attire with swords slumped over in death...and such monuments.
Amazing gave-stones dominate many burial sites...many evoking tears and sadness
if you are aware of the history and the circumstances of their death.

I know many of you reading this will have NO clue what i am talking about---
but-- in the struggle for our freedom--in 1989-1990--the whole break-up of the Soviet Union--
many people were killed for no reason. They stood in the way of the Soviet tanks trying
to suppress the opposition..all for the effort to regain their freedom, and were just run
over by the Soviet tanks...They were killed for just being patriots to the love for their fatherland...
I want to apologize for my emotional feelings on all this, but I have lived through all this.

My sisters and I went back to Latvia in 2007--now a free and renewing Country--
Our cousin took us to all the memorable places--the most serene being the
National Cemetery of Latvia--in Riga. It is equivalent to Arlington National Cemetery--
where all the war-dead are buried...SO sad! SO unforgettable!

Where one just has to stop and look and ponder--
of the love and devotion the families must have felt to build these
"forever" monuments...

I want to share with you the most emotional, sad photo I ever took in this Cemetery.
As thousands of us fled in 1944 to escape the imminent Soviet occupation to come--
many family grave sites were left to the elements--with no one t tend to them...

Of the hundreds of photos I took on thistrip--my most memorable was this one.
You need to realize WHY these graves were left tgo to moss--..
It was that the Family members were--either deported to Siberia--or fled the
Country to escape the horrors to come.
To me-these abandoned graves say it all...

Please excuse my emotionalism here----but this represents, in one photo, the sad
history of our, forever occupied lands for 700 years--and the losses no one can ever forget.
I was 7yrs old when we fled---and I still grieve for my Country. I am sure much of this
was transferred to my brain by my elders-- These feelings will hold me hostage until I die.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8344237

My two sisters and I at out Father's grave site--The smaller stone is in his memory.

The larger one is of a more pompous family member who asked our permission to be buried
in our family plot---only to overshadow out Father's stone as he thought he was so much more important...

Anyway--who cares--it is a done deed! We simply moved our Father's stone to the front of his...

Thank you all for reading this...Sharon--you really ignted my need to share this...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8344267

Hello Gita,
I remember the story of your father's grave site, and your moving of his stone. Thanks for sharing the rest of your story.

Cemeteries do play a huge role in our history and in our emotions. I can understand how you feel, though I'm sure there is no true understanding unless one has had to flee for his/her life.

But through it all you arrived here and have made a good life among your flowers and your friends.

It's good to hear from you.
Thank you so much.
Sharon
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2011
10:32 PM

Post #8344333

Beautiful memorials. Thank you for sharing your stories.
Jakarta
Indonesia

February 7, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8360246

Very interesting. Seems various cultures have some kind of plants associated with graveyards and cemetery.

In my place, it's almost always Plumeria.

Strange enough but Plumeria also gives milky white sap from broken leaves/branches.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2011
11:49 PM

Post #8360293

Very interesting. Coincidental?
Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Napping in the Graveyard Moss Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Euphorbia cyparissias gloria125 10 Nov 5, 2012 3:34 PM
Eurphorbus Dollykat 3 Feb 2, 2011 8:24 PM
The sweet smell of spurge liz_crbnsl 1 Feb 7, 2011 8:37 AM
Spurge 3pmp 1 Feb 7, 2011 10:02 AM
graveyard moss and writing annhelen 1 Feb 7, 2011 1:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America