Daily Chuck-le number 6

PERTH, Australia

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1143527/

We had very little to go out on the bulk waste collection, but I chucked a food grinder that hadn't been used for about twenty years. Also chucked a solar pond fountain, because it never worked.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

OH my gosh, you just got that fountain, didn't you?

Well I went through the two other cooking utensil drawers. Organized and got a bag of stuff i don't need to go to good will or garage sale. That makes THREE drawers done in the kitchen. woo hoo.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I am working on organizing DH's various recipes into a cookbook/notebook for him. We have several cookbooks that we only use a few recipes from each one. After I am done I will donate the cookbooks someplace!

good for you. Mr. Ed keeps telling me to scan my cookbooks. I don't think he understands how time consuming that is.

I would love one of those scanner they adverise on TV!!! We don't have a scanner of anytype anymore. Ours broke and we have never replaced it. I am going thru and type them up on word and print them out. I bought plastic sleeves to put them in so they don't get messy anymore!! Or Pif they are something we printed of the computer...have a lot of those...I just put them in the sleeves and into the binder! But it is taking more time then I thought!

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, a nice, new uncluttered thread. Thanks, Margaret!

Interesting topic, Mrs Ed. Scanning cookbooks onto the computer would be very time consuming. I have a drawer in my china hutch that is home to hundreds or thousands of recipes clipped from magazines and newspapers. I also have approx. 20 cookbooks. Most of my cooking is performed by the seat of my pants, I rarely follow a recipe. I have promised myself to dump all the recipes into the recycling and start fresh, as it would take days to go thru them all. I have one little spiral notebook that is a My Favorite Recipes. I write down my tried-and-true recipes and those of friends and family. How many recipes does one need?

Today I removed 3 lazy susan organizers from my spice cupboard. They had become problematic and took up more space than necessary. Something was always spinning off the carousel. I couldn't think of another place or way to use them, so they are OUT.

Middletown, PA

Cleaned out my over the desk cupboard at work today. Managed to get rid of 2 boxes of tea and combind some of the rest. Put the remains of the Christmas candy in my candy dish, so I'm pretty sure that will be gone by the time I go to work tomorrow. I like having something on hand at my desk, since I tend to stree eat. I have been keeping Hershey's kisses there, but I'm trying to come up with a healthier item. Any suggestions? (Carrot sticks are not an option)

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

popcorn. not the kind bathed in butter or coated in caramel. plain, or with herb seasoning, or something you like.

coleup, luv the snow bunny photo, on thread#5

PERTH, Australia

Yes, Mrs Ed, the fountain was new. I couldn't bear hassle of trying to get a replacement and the postage would probably have been more than the fountain. Sometimes it's better just to cut your losses.

With recipes, maybe think about what I did with all my old journals and photograph them with a point and shoot camera set to documents. I found that so easy and quick, too.

Nurse, try dried fruit and unsalted, raw nuts instead of chocolates. Yummy and healthy too.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes thank you for the new thread Margaret,OHH Shoot Margaret where is the, is it cyclone ?? I need to talk to the cousins too.We have been busy with the Blizzard of 2011,nothing like what australia is going through,floods more rain, winds..We are fine we could not get out yesterday,roads still not passable out in the county.I think they finally lifted the level1 emergency .We got 12.5 inches of snow since Monday.
Nurse I agree nuts are a great I eat raw almonds and raw cashews really good for you and protein...I eat dried fruit too..YUMM

does Chuckin snow count ??? tehe

The DH gets a big job well done,We had an old console TV in a beautiful Tall cabinet ,shelves under and speakers,glass door.We got a new flat 40 inch,he removed the old tv and cut the cabinet down,Voila a new lower TV stand , Recycle and Reuse..

PERTH, Australia

Tamara, I think chucking snow does count.

You're right, they are called cyclones over here. Western Australia was spared the force of one last week, but overnight, a category 5 cyclone hit Innisfail in Queensland, along with other towns north and south of that location. The damage, although severe, was not as bad as anticipated and so far no loss of (human) life. Innisfail was decimated by TC Larry back in 2006. Last night's cyclone has continued to move westwards over Queensland, towards the Northern territory, losing oomph as it goes. Last I heard it was several hundred km inland and was still a category 2 system. Queensland has had more than its fair share of weather related horrors in recent weeks. Where are your cousins?

Margaret ,Sydney,Rockhampton,Jindalee,Im getting the map out..need to remind myself where places are.Yes you know all the weather everywhere has been something else,devistation everywhere it seems..Gosh Its scary ..How often do you actually get hit with a full blown cyclone ??? did it hit the East coast of Austrailia ? if so ,then hopefully you wont feel much of it.We are still under level 1 emergency ?? I did hear they had to get the payloaders out to clear the drifts.

PERTH, Australia

Tamara, Queensland was walloped last night. Queensland generally gets several cyclones a season with varying degrees of damage. The cyclones that hit Western Australia are generally of a more intense nature, but because of the vast area up north of the state, with such a sparse population, the damage as it affects humans, is generally (but not always), less devastating. People being interview on TV are saying they've lived through many cyclones, including Larry, but have never experienced anything like what hit last night. Google "Cyclone Yasi" and you'll get more accurate information than I could ever provide. The last cyclone to really have an affect on Perth was back in 1978 with Cyclone Alby. They provided a comparison of sizes in today's paper and NOTHING compares with Hurricane Katrina. That was the beast master.

Today I chucked the boxes that my camera lens and both computers came in into the fortnightly recycling.

A tip: When putting things into your recycling bin that might show people that you have something brand new and highly desirable, don't put it into the bin until it's about to be collected. Same as bulk waste collections on the verge. Some unscrupulous people will perhaps see that you have just taken possession of a u-beaut plasma TV (or whatever) and target you place for a burglary. Think like a crook.

Same goes for shredding things with ID bar codes and your name and address details. Best to shred them rather than put them in the recyling bin as is. Identity theft is an increasing problem that we all need to be aware of of take action to minimise the risks.

Monson, MA

Great idea of putting nuts and dried fruit into candy bowl....will try that!

I put a 'lazy susan' in the refrigerator to hold small things that kept falling into back and getting lost til I cleaned out the fridge and tossed these outdated lossed items. Works good. Bought a plastic one that fit on shelf fine.

Sun out today so will get out, snow everywhere!!

Middletown, PA

Problem with the fruit and nuts is, the bowl isn't covered, and others help themselves, which is part of why I have it, it gives my staff an excuse to stop in and chat. I did buy some pistashio nuts try, and have also uses the single wrapped prunes in the past. Today I filled it with mints, so we will see how that goes. The problem is, getting staff to drop by while getting myself to drop pounds.

Margaret,thats a great tip,you are soo right..Dont give them a reason to think youve just bought a 50 inch TV..Same goes for the box ,break it down and fold it up.We have been broken into,it stinks,they take everything... I would have never thought to comare a hurricane an cyclone ,I figured a cyclone was just way worse,sounds bad.Kinda like Crisps and candy floss, right,same meaning different words,potato chips and cotton candy !!!

PERTH, Australia

Tamara, so sorry you've been burgled. That's truly horrible.

Cyclone - cyclonic flow - clockwise direction occurring south of the equator.

Hurricane - anticlockwise direction and occuring north of the equator.

Thanks Margaret ,One goes right one goes left !!!! very Interesting..Ralph just said something funny our toilets flush anticlockwise,yours clockwise..Lil funny...LOL

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Cleaned the roadside trash today. Not much lately. Found a popsicle stick with a joke printed on it. Why does the ocean have currents? Electric eels. ;-)

I took 3 large framed paintings/prints to the new consignment shop, along with 2 boxes of nic-nacs and 10 music CDs. All was happily accepted...whooppee!

Nurse, I have heard pistachios are the most nut-ricious lower calorie nut. Good choice, and to my taste, more delicious than any candy aside from chocolate.

Hoping the trash pick-up runs this week. Missed last week due to the ice. Got rid of 4 cookbooks this week and 1 old rusty iron skillet that we never used anymore.

Middletown, PA

Chocolate is really the only candy I eat. I have do sweet tooth when it comes to anything else. I have throw away jellybeans, candy canes, etc, left from the holidays, because I get tired of looking at them. I always tell people "if it weren't for chocolate, i could be thin". I can pass on donuts, pastries and that stuff, but wave a brownine under my nose and the battle is on!
My thinking with the nuts is that because I have to shell them, I will eat less. I also have a jar of almonds on my desk.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

shelling does slow one down and may even count as exercise. ha!

today hubby and i cut a bench into firewood. it was a neat old 1/2 of a tree, but the beetles got to it. it was full of big grubs, so the chickens had a bonanza.

i also went thru a bag full of maps and travel brochures. most went to recycling.

Middletown, PA

finally got daughter to go through her mail. Took a bag of stuff to work to throw in the shredder. Not much, but every bit helps.

ive been Lazy >> LOL keep up the good work

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

lol, hugs. i don't allow myself to post here until i have gotten rid of something. my lazy days are invisible!

wood-chucked several long wooden handles i had saved from broken shovels, worn out brooms, etc. i saved them over the course of 19 years and used a few of them once or twice to stake tall sunflowers. i mostly use steel fence posts to stake trees, etc., so decided the wooden handles could become firewood. I really, really enjoyed busting them up. I am starting to change from being a worry-wart hoarder into a person who has a grip on reality and can see that she doesn't need 20 long wooden handles "just in case of an emergency". finally! :-)

PERTH, Australia

That's really good, huck. It's a big step when your mindset is changing.

but Huck, WHAT IF you have a limbo party? You'll need those broomsticks!! ;-)

HA!!!! :)

PERTH, Australia

Ha ha ha. Trust you, Mrs Ed.

I do what I canů

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

if you give me your address, i'll send the next one i find to you..;-)

today i sorted thru my seeds and scattered all the old ones about the gardens, followed by my little hen who pecked them up.

Monson, MA

No 'limbo' for me!! LOL.....
Will use for garden stakes!!

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Told myself I am not going to wash and wear this t-shirt and sweatpants ever again. I am peeling them off now and placing them in the woodstove. =^..^=

Middletown, PA

Hubby got me mug filled with Dove chocolates for V-day, unfortunately, he got the cherry swirl ones and I have this weird allergy to artifical cherry flavoring. Took them to work and fed them to staff. Small daily chuck, but I'm claiming it!

PERTH, Australia

Chucked an old pair of bathers. I forgot I had them and bought new ones at the beginning of summer.

huh???

PERTH, Australia

Sorry Nanny, it must be a colloquialism. Bathers = swimming trunks (or whatever you call them).

This morning chucked two rashies (SPF 50+ protective, high necked, long sleeved thingies worn whilst swimming to protect against the fierce, burning sun).

I see....here men wear swimming trunks and women wear swim suits. Not that there is much to some of them to qualify as a "suit"! lol

Language is so fascinating!

Sorry about the OT!

Chucked a jar of dry roasted peanuts. Exp. May 2008. yuck

Middletown, PA

Got a box of crackers out of the pantry and realized they are a little stale. I don't know why, but if hubby find them and they are stale, he will tell me and put them back. Why? Chucking the crackers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.