Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Clean and Clutter-free: Daily Chuck-le number 6

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 232, Views: 1,318
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 2, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8344532

We came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1143527/

We had very little to go out on the bulk waste collection, but I chucked a food grinder that hadn't been used for about twenty years. Also chucked a solar pond fountain, because it never worked.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8344611

OH my gosh, you just got that fountain, didn't you?

Well I went through the two other cooking utensil drawers. Organized and got a bag of stuff i don't need to go to good will or garage sale. That makes THREE drawers done in the kitchen. woo hoo.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8344842

I am working on organizing DH's various recipes into a cookbook/notebook for him. We have several cookbooks that we only use a few recipes from each one. After I am done I will donate the cookbooks someplace!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8344981

good for you. Mr. Ed keeps telling me to scan my cookbooks. I don't think he understands how time consuming that is.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8345109

I would love one of those scanner they adverise on TV!!! We don't have a scanner of anytype anymore. Ours broke and we have never replaced it. I am going thru and type them up on word and print them out. I bought plastic sleeves to put them in so they don't get messy anymore!! Or Pif they are something we printed of the computer...have a lot of those...I just put them in the sleeves and into the binder! But it is taking more time then I thought!

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8346029

Oh, a nice, new uncluttered thread. Thanks, Margaret!

Interesting topic, Mrs Ed. Scanning cookbooks onto the computer would be very time consuming. I have a drawer in my china hutch that is home to hundreds or thousands of recipes clipped from magazines and newspapers. I also have approx. 20 cookbooks. Most of my cooking is performed by the seat of my pants, I rarely follow a recipe. I have promised myself to dump all the recipes into the recycling and start fresh, as it would take days to go thru them all. I have one little spiral notebook that is a My Favorite Recipes. I write down my tried-and-true recipes and those of friends and family. How many recipes does one need?

Today I removed 3 lazy susan organizers from my spice cupboard. They had become problematic and took up more space than necessary. Something was always spinning off the carousel. I couldn't think of another place or way to use them, so they are OUT.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 2, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8346109

Cleaned out my over the desk cupboard at work today. Managed to get rid of 2 boxes of tea and combind some of the rest. Put the remains of the Christmas candy in my candy dish, so I'm pretty sure that will be gone by the time I go to work tomorrow. I like having something on hand at my desk, since I tend to stree eat. I have been keeping Hershey's kisses there, but I'm trying to come up with a healthier item. Any suggestions? (Carrot sticks are not an option)
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8346131

popcorn. not the kind bathed in butter or coated in caramel. plain, or with herb seasoning, or something you like.

coleup, luv the snow bunny photo, on thread#5
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 2, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8346174

Yes, Mrs Ed, the fountain was new. I couldn't bear hassle of trying to get a replacement and the postage would probably have been more than the fountain. Sometimes it's better just to cut your losses.

With recipes, maybe think about what I did with all my old journals and photograph them with a point and shoot camera set to documents. I found that so easy and quick, too.

Nurse, try dried fruit and unsalted, raw nuts instead of chocolates. Yummy and healthy too.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8346250

Yes thank you for the new thread Margaret,OHH Shoot Margaret where is the, is it cyclone ?? I need to talk to the cousins too.We have been busy with the Blizzard of 2011,nothing like what australia is going through,floods more rain, winds..We are fine we could not get out yesterday,roads still not passable out in the county.I think they finally lifted the level1 emergency .We got 12.5 inches of snow since Monday.
Nurse I agree nuts are a great I eat raw almonds and raw cashews really good for you and protein...I eat dried fruit too..YUMM

does Chuckin snow count ??? tehe

The DH gets a big job well done,We had an old console TV in a beautiful Tall cabinet ,shelves under and speakers,glass door.We got a new flat 40 inch,he removed the old tv and cut the cabinet down,Voila a new lower TV stand , Recycle and Reuse..
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 3, 2011
4:09 AM

Post #8346256

Tamara, I think chucking snow does count.

You're right, they are called cyclones over here. Western Australia was spared the force of one last week, but overnight, a category 5 cyclone hit Innisfail in Queensland, along with other towns north and south of that location. The damage, although severe, was not as bad as anticipated and so far no loss of (human) life. Innisfail was decimated by TC Larry back in 2006. Last night's cyclone has continued to move westwards over Queensland, towards the Northern territory, losing oomph as it goes. Last I heard it was several hundred km inland and was still a category 2 system. Queensland has had more than its fair share of weather related horrors in recent weeks. Where are your cousins?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8346267

Margaret ,Sydney,Rockhampton,Jindalee,Im getting the map out..need to remind myself where places are.Yes you know all the weather everywhere has been something else,devistation everywhere it seems..Gosh Its scary ..How often do you actually get hit with a full blown cyclone ??? did it hit the East coast of Austrailia ? if so ,then hopefully you wont feel much of it.We are still under level 1 emergency ?? I did hear they had to get the payloaders out to clear the drifts.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 3, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8346285

Tamara, Queensland was walloped last night. Queensland generally gets several cyclones a season with varying degrees of damage. The cyclones that hit Western Australia are generally of a more intense nature, but because of the vast area up north of the state, with such a sparse population, the damage as it affects humans, is generally (but not always), less devastating. People being interview on TV are saying they've lived through many cyclones, including Larry, but have never experienced anything like what hit last night. Google "Cyclone Yasi" and you'll get more accurate information than I could ever provide. The last cyclone to really have an affect on Perth was back in 1978 with Cyclone Alby. They provided a comparison of sizes in today's paper and NOTHING compares with Hurricane Katrina. That was the beast master.

Today I chucked the boxes that my camera lens and both computers came in into the fortnightly recycling.

A tip: When putting things into your recycling bin that might show people that you have something brand new and highly desirable, don't put it into the bin until it's about to be collected. Same as bulk waste collections on the verge. Some unscrupulous people will perhaps see that you have just taken possession of a u-beaut plasma TV (or whatever) and target you place for a burglary. Think like a crook.

Same goes for shredding things with ID bar codes and your name and address details. Best to shred them rather than put them in the recyling bin as is. Identity theft is an increasing problem that we all need to be aware of of take action to minimise the risks.

ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

February 3, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8346293

Great idea of putting nuts and dried fruit into candy bowl...will try that!

I put a 'lazy susan' in the refrigerator to hold small things that kept falling into back and getting lost til I cleaned out the fridge and tossed these outdated lossed items. Works good. Bought a plastic one that fit on shelf fine.

Sun out today so will get out, snow everywhere!!
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 3, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8352502

Problem with the fruit and nuts is, the bowl isn't covered, and others help themselves, which is part of why I have it, it gives my staff an excuse to stop in and chat. I did buy some pistashio nuts try, and have also uses the single wrapped prunes in the past. Today I filled it with mints, so we will see how that goes. The problem is, getting staff to drop by while getting myself to drop pounds.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8352645

Margaret,thats a great tip,you are soo right..Dont give them a reason to think youve just bought a 50 inch TV..Same goes for the box ,break it down and fold it up.We have been broken into,it stinks,they take everything... I would have never thought to comare a hurricane an cyclone ,I figured a cyclone was just way worse,sounds bad.Kinda like Crisps and candy floss, right,same meaning different words,potato chips and cotton candy !!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 4, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8352661

Tamara, so sorry you've been burgled. That's truly horrible.

Cyclone - cyclonic flow - clockwise direction occurring south of the equator.

Hurricane - anticlockwise direction and occuring north of the equator.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8352668

Thanks Margaret ,One goes right one goes left !!!! very Interesting..Ralph just said something funny our toilets flush anticlockwise,yours clockwise..Lil funny...LOL
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8361901

Cleaned the roadside trash today. Not much lately. Found a popsicle stick with a joke printed on it. Why does the ocean have currents? Electric eels. ;-)

I took 3 large framed paintings/prints to the new consignment shop, along with 2 boxes of nic-nacs and 10 music CDs. All was happily accepted...whooppee!

Nurse, I have heard pistachios are the most nut-ricious lower calorie nut. Good choice, and to my taste, more delicious than any candy aside from chocolate.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8362309

Hoping the trash pick-up runs this week. Missed last week due to the ice. Got rid of 4 cookbooks this week and 1 old rusty iron skillet that we never used anymore.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 9, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8362402

Chocolate is really the only candy I eat. I have do sweet tooth when it comes to anything else. I have throw away jellybeans, candy canes, etc, left from the holidays, because I get tired of looking at them. I always tell people "if it weren't for chocolate, i could be thin". I can pass on donuts, pastries and that stuff, but wave a brownine under my nose and the battle is on!
My thinking with the nuts is that because I have to shell them, I will eat less. I also have a jar of almonds on my desk.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8363694

shelling does slow one down and may even count as exercise. ha!

today hubby and i cut a bench into firewood. it was a neat old 1/2 of a tree, but the beetles got to it. it was full of big grubs, so the chickens had a bonanza.

i also went thru a bag full of maps and travel brochures. most went to recycling.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 9, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8363732

finally got daughter to go through her mail. Took a bag of stuff to work to throw in the shredder. Not much, but every bit helps.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8364183

ive been Lazy >> LOL keep up the good work
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8367434

lol, hugs. i don't allow myself to post here until i have gotten rid of something. my lazy days are invisible!

wood-chucked several long wooden handles i had saved from broken shovels, worn out brooms, etc. i saved them over the course of 19 years and used a few of them once or twice to stake tall sunflowers. i mostly use steel fence posts to stake trees, etc., so decided the wooden handles could become firewood. I really, really enjoyed busting them up. I am starting to change from being a worry-wart hoarder into a person who has a grip on reality and can see that she doesn't need 20 long wooden handles "just in case of an emergency". finally! :-)
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 11, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8367516

That's really good, huck. It's a big step when your mindset is changing.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8368048

but Huck, WHAT IF you have a limbo party? You'll need those broomsticks!! ;-)

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8368349

HA!!!! :)
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 12, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8368613

Ha ha ha. Trust you, Mrs Ed.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8368642

I do what I can…
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8369234

if you give me your address, i'll send the next one i find to you..;-)

today i sorted thru my seeds and scattered all the old ones about the gardens, followed by my little hen who pecked them up.
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

February 13, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8370274

No 'limbo' for me!! LOL...
Will use for garden stakes!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8374526

Told myself I am not going to wash and wear this t-shirt and sweatpants ever again. I am peeling them off now and placing them in the woodstove. =^..^=
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 18, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8380003

Hubby got me mug filled with Dove chocolates for V-day, unfortunately, he got the cherry swirl ones and I have this weird allergy to artifical cherry flavoring. Took them to work and fed them to staff. Small daily chuck, but I'm claiming it!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 18, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8380006

Chucked an old pair of bathers. I forgot I had them and bought new ones at the beginning of summer.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8381225

huh???
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 19, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8381360

Sorry Nanny, it must be a colloquialism. Bathers = swimming trunks (or whatever you call them).

This morning chucked two rashies (SPF 50+ protective, high necked, long sleeved thingies worn whilst swimming to protect against the fierce, burning sun).

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8382338

I see...here men wear swimming trunks and women wear swim suits. Not that there is much to some of them to qualify as a "suit"! lol

Language is so fascinating!

Sorry about the OT!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8383710

Chucked a jar of dry roasted peanuts. Exp. May 2008. yuck
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 21, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8385559

Got a box of crackers out of the pantry and realized they are a little stale. I don't know why, but if hubby find them and they are stale, he will tell me and put them back. Why? Chucking the crackers!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 21, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8385707

It must be contagious, this clearing the pantry thing. I found a packet of crackers with an expiry date of September 2009. I'll open them and check to see what they're like before I dispose of them.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8385891

Well I have to admit that I re-crisp crackers in the oven many times. And I often dry bread and make my own breadcrumbs. But lately I've got a surplus of crumbs because I haven't been using bread fast enough.

I have WAY more pantry stuff to get rid of though. :(

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8386441

I found an outdated can of Mandrin Oranges I had to throw out last week. I am working thru the pantry too! lol
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8389645

OK now Im going to have to go get those 4 cans of really old water chesnuts an throw them out... bought them to make appitizers w/bacon an bbq suace 4-5 yrs ago,they are yummie if you make them !!! tehe...Nice work ladies

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8389768

ha! ewwwww

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8389870

Cleaned out the fridge freezer yesterday for trash day. Had about 4 opened bags of frozen veggies, opened bag of tilapia fillets, 2 Ice Cream Sandwiches and almost a full box of Fudge Bars. All this from last summer, so out it went!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 24, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8389879

Geez, you could have sent them to me.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8389899

LOL... Just trying not to tempt you away from your better eating habits!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 24, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8389904

Me??? Better eating habits?? No, you've got me mixed up with someone else. LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8390047

They wouldn't be any good now anyway, margaret. and imagine the mess you'd have… far worse than any shipped melted chocolates.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 24, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8390766

Ha ha ha. Yes, that's one of the problems shipping meltables across hemispheres.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8390926

Fudge bars get really funky after awhile in the freezer...YUCKY!!
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 25, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8392956

Cleaned out the fridge today. Anybody have a secret for keping track of how old condiments are? We always seem to have an insane amount of these, I don't know where half of them come from and I hate to toss them if they are good, I am beginning to thing some of them came with the fridge.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 25, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8393040

Seeing this thread just prompted me to pour the expired contents of a raspberry yoghurt onto the garden.

Nurse, get a permanent marker and write the date on the container.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 27, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8396911

Semi-chuck this weekend. I picked up a baby monitor on Friday for my sister to use, so she can hear my mom at night. Less then 1/2 hour after buying it, sister called and told me hospice was bringing her one. Took it back on Saturday, instead of leaving it lay around the house.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8397020

good for you!
my cat died, and i donated his bag and a half of food to the animal shelter. i wanted to bury my face in it and cry, but i decided to grow up and do the best i could think of. i am proud of myself for not stalling.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 27, 2011
11:10 PM

Post #8397028

Huck, I'm so sorry about your cat. You did the right thing by donating the food to the shelter. Now you can bury your face in your hands or your pillow or wherever you like and cry as much as you want. Your cat is worth the tears.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8397321

OH huck im so sorry , The shelter is greatful for the food..Im so sad for you...

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8397921

Oh Huck...so sorry for your loss...cry a river if you need too. It was very kind of you to donate his food. I lost my little dog last July and still cry for Buddy sometimes...even tho we adopted us a very adorable new dog in November.

Went to get my hair cut since Great Clips is haaing a sale. Got there and they said I was getting enough cut off so that it would be free if I donated my hair to Locks Of Love...so I got a free hair cut and my hair will be recycled into a wig for someone!

**I cut off 11 inches!!**

This message was edited Feb 28, 2011 1:29 PM
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8398558

omg, nans! last year they were excited to get 6" from me. way to go, win,win,win! do you feel lighter? i sure did.

today i cleaned out a few files, including Poppi's vet records. not a very thick file, he was very healthy. thank you all for your comforting words. =^..^=
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 28, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8398561

Wow, nanny. Good for you, but what made you decide to trim your golden tresses?

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8398619

I do it every couple of years. I get tired of dealing with it & Chop Chop and it goes away for awhile!! lol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8398827

OMG Nanny, I cant' believe you grew that out again so fast!

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 28, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8398948

It's all the good, clean living.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2011

Post #8399660

Because it does grow so fast I give up on keeping it shorter...let it grow and then get it whacked off again...a very vicious cycle!!

Trash day tomorrow so will be looking around to se what I can pitch out this week!
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

March 7, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8411915

Huck so sorry about your cat, what was the name?? How old??? Mine is 'Storm', 9 yrs old, don't know what I will do when she passes...( I named all my cats 'Storm' after the 1st storm ) LOL...
Glad about donating the hair, it is all the lil things that count in life.
Do need to clean spare room, clutter everywhere, everytime I want a screwdriver or something I have to take things apart...bought some small tool boxes, will lable them screwdrivers or nuts and screws to make it easier to find things.
And will be lighter to take to my projects or fix its. Now all I have to get to the room and clean it up!!
Where will I get the energy to tackle it??? Priest said to donate this time for our sins...will try it...being Lent and all.
Have a great day all...snow squall here in MA right now...AAARRGGGHHH>>>>

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8412191

Cleaned out my jewlery box one day last week. I couldn't believe all the crap in there!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 7, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8413072

What?? All those diamonds, Nanny?

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8413099

HA! don't I wish...
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8415718

today i burned the little washcloth i kept under my kitty's water dish. it had a big star in the center and "Hollywood" blazened across. it also had mold stains on the underside. i burned it for that reason, but also because i am trying to let go of as much sentimental paraphenalia as i can now, before i attach bad feelings to the items. i loved my kitty, not his files or his dishes. Geraldine, his name was Poppi and we had him 10 1/2 years. he came to us young but fully grown, so we estimated him to be at least 11. i still am stunned by his death. he got out in the road and was hit by a car. i can't stop thinking that he should have been smarter than that. i feel guilty that i didn't have him contained. i haven't told my sister and my niece yet. they adored him too. i am used to pets dying, i am the one who always has to take the ancient pet to the vet to be euthanized. i volunteered at an army vet clinic. i just really had a close bond with this little darling. he was so affectionate and funny. whaaa! =^..^=

I also tossed a beat-up wallet.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

March 11, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8420603

So sorry about your kitty Huck. We have 2 cats, and I have always been a cat person. They are all so different as far as personalities, so you can get a new one, but never replace the old.
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

March 12, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8421734

Huck, my kitty is a house cat, but she has sneaked out at times...no fault of yours...they are 'quick'!!
Do hope you can give another cat a good home. I surely would miss mine when she dies, will look at the shelters for an older cat. I don't think I would like going through all those stages of their scratching, climbing, being in heat etc..
50's today...AAAAHHHHH! Waiting for my tomato seeds to come in, I ordered them from Parks.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 13, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8424086

Hi folks - I will admit to not yet reading this thread. I did see some familiar names when scrolling down the list. For some reason this is the only rather current Clean and Clutter Forum thread that I haven't at least checked in to on one occasion. When I have a bit more time I plan to read and see what you folks have going on here.

For now, just dropping in to say howdy all. Hope that everyone's weekend is a good one. BEAUTIFUL day here today. All windows and doors open letting in the sunshine and pleasant temperatures.

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8424462

Welcome Ruby.

I was thinking that maybe we should make a daily mission/task. Like. This week, throw out one thing a day from the pantry. Next week throw out one thing from the office/desk. etc.

We'll soon all be in the garden, so better get through stuff.

Today I threw out about a case of various beer in the basement fridge. These had to be at LEAST two and a half years old because they were leftover from a party. Next time I'll have to send stuff home with the guests.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 13, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8424642

Hi Mrs. Ed. Thank you for the welcome. I was wondering if it will be okay to give the thing we decide to get rid of to someone else versus throwing it away in the trash. I am fairly current on what is in most cabinets. I do have some juicy drinks that I bought for my grand daughter and she never liked them, so there they sit, several months later. I was thinking of giving to the cleaning lady who will be here later this week for her grand children. If her grand children don't like them I will send the word to trash them then because evidently they are duds if two households of children won't drink them. hahaha

Again...looking forward to going back reading the thread and get a feel for the flavor in here.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

March 13, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8424771

You don't have to toss something in the trash to "chuck" it, just get it out of your house! Ruby, I personally try to go through my pantry at least every 6 months, that way stuff isn't outdated, and I can donate it to the local foodbank. My daughter is always asking me to get stuff for her, and then she never uses it, so I donate it. She tends to have more energy for thinking up things to bake, then actually baking them.
Today a big chuck-I was having trouble with my washer, it kept stopping midcycle, and you had to play with the dial to get it to restart. It's over 10 years old, so I didn't want to spend a lot to fix it. My brother just replaced his washer and gave me his. We set my out on the curb, and somebody knocked on the door about an hour later and asked about it. The took it, so ta-da! One washer -chucked!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8424824

Ditto to Nurse, ruby. Chuck it wherever, into the recycle bin, the donate pile, the sell pile or the garbage!
And if it has a funny story, then that's even better.

Congrats on the washer Nurse. A number of years ago I tried to sell an old stove for 50 bucks at a garage sale. No one wanted it. But I put it on Freecycle and it was gone pronto. Sweet.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8425612

gotta love free cycle..OK OK I will toss the 4 cans of water chessnuts...Gosh I have not tossed or recycled anything in a while,other than the Normal stuff.

Great work Ladies
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8425806

Don't know if this counts, but I used a Christmas "gift card" yesterday before it expired. Also scattered half a loaf of whole grain bread outside for the birds and squirrels early am. Was gone by late afternoon so no leftovers to attract mice or other critters.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 14, 2011

Post #8425872

Yeah, we will count the gift card Coleup. Reminds me of an Olive Garden gift card we have. Guess I should check and see if it expires.

Wow Nurse, you do things in a big way...a washing machine. Good going. Also, thank you for defining this thread...I had never accessed it before now because I thought it was a joke telling site or something...I now get the "chuck" part. Hadn't thought in terms of chucking things for a very long time...I like the idea of chucking...even the word is funny. Puts some fun in to the activity.

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8425878

Yep Ruby, that was the intent, to get a good chuckle out of chucking. Especially when Margaret was telling the story of savagely beating her vacuum cleaner into oblivion!

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 14, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8425896

Oooh, trust you to bring that up. LOL. Years later that still makes me laugh when I think of how ridiculous I must have looked doing a Basil Fawlty with the vacuum cleaner pipes, yelling: "You rotten #$#%^&%# &R^$$# B#@*&**^^%$'s" at them as I thrashed them within an inch of their lives - all because that stupid, top-heavy vacuum cleaner had fallen against my freshly painted wall and had left a big mark and had put a dent in the wall as well.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 14, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8425928

Hey There Margaret, I have found myself in some of the same sorts of situations. I am sure that you were terribly, terriby upset about the new paint job and so your reaction to it was much the same as some of my behaviors. There have been times when I have been on the rampage and stopped to think what others who might be watching me would say. Oops...

Anyway...it sounds like I am in good company here. My mouth is capable of throwing out some less than pleasant words to the universe too. hahaha

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8426090

Margaret, I still say you should have framed the pipe instead of chucking it. LOL.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 14, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8426984

I should have. Mind you, there's nothing stopping me from having another hissy fit with an inanimate object.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

March 14, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8427640

Took a bunch of old window clings in and donated them to the activites department today. They are still good, some are brand new, but I never put them up, so now activies can put them up and I can enjoy them at work as can our residents.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2011
3:21 AM

Post #8427814

sweet work nurse

hissyfit ,have not heard that in a while ...LOL too funny vacuum,i hate those uprights with all the gear attached,they design them make them ,no one ever tests them...cause if they did they would say, what were we thinking.i saw the DH pitch an upright right through the old alum storm door...shocker..an funny..told him it was a piece of junk...LOL

the waterchessnuts are still here !!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 15, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8428070

Huggergirl, I thought the same thing about the term hissy fit. Thanks Margaret, maybe I will begin using that in my speech and those around me will understand that it will not be a good thing if I decide to throw one. hahaha

Nurse, some time or another when you have a few extra minutes, give some thought to the types of things that the facility where you work, needs. I recently sent a box of items off to a nursing facility in Florida and some of the items they said will be used as gifts for games and such. I have all sorts of little dollar store items here that I would be willing to share if I thought they would be used.

I always feel bettering knowing the items I donate will be used by someone who will appreciate them than to think of someone else sticking them in a drawer somewhere and not using them either. I would appreciate you giving it a bit of thought and letting me know. Thanks hon.

Anyway...hope that everyone is having a good day and throwing hissy fits is not necessary for anyone today. hahaha Thanks for the chuckles.

Ruby ----- ooops...have a p.s. to add

As for chucking...last evening I finally became sick and tired of not being able to find items I knew were in a certain drawer in the kitchen...the official junk drawer. I finally pulled everything out and dusted the drawer and washed the dividers and neatly arranged things that will continue to stay there. There are a couple of things that I need to put else where this morning and I was able to chuck a lot of useless bits of paper and other things that were trash in to the trash can. That is my chuck report for yesterday. Not sure what today's will be.

s

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8428106

Good going Ruby. The Junk Drawer. I've always had one since a kid and always will I guess. Funny, it's always been named that too. Mostly it's tools and what not. It's supposed to be just a few handy tools, but we wind up being to lazy to put the tools where they go and instead they go in the Junk Drawer. Sigh.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8428453

hate to admit it...but I have 2 junk drawers!!

Have pitched 3 Yankee jar candles that were past their prime and I gave a neighbor a gift card we recieved for Christmas. It was for a restaurant that we don't reall care for. Neighbor said she & her daughter would love to use it so there it went! The old artificial Christmas Tree is going out this week too!

This message was edited Mar 15, 2011 8:00 PM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8428508

Wowee. Good on you, as Margaret would say.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 15, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8428930

Yeh, good on you. I've chucked a back support thingy that didn't do what it was supposed to do.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

March 15, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8429527

Good going on that junk drawer! Mine is actually a gadget drawer, and it is way to big. I did go through and pull a lot of stuff out, but since there are no dividers, the rest of the stuff just gets all mixed together. I'm working on a solution to that problem, but have not found a workable solution yet.
Ruby, I will try to work on a list for you. They do use a lot os small items for Bingo prizes and donations are always appreciated. I work for a non-profit home, so every little bit helps.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8429975

We have 2 junk drawers ,dh did declutter them a while back,good job DH.chessnuts are gone...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 16, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8430009

Well, we will see how long this drawer stays in its organized state. I have a feeling that like many things especially in the kitchen area, it will be an ongoing thing that will need attention from time to time to stay organized. I have been de-cluttering for some months now and there are two kitchen cabinets that I have already had to do twice and it looks as though they will become something that needs my attention quite often in order to have them organized and easily accessed.

Since Friday I have purchased nine medium to large plastic bins to store things in. Most are full already and stored in the outside shed. I am ridding one set of bookcases in order to move them in a couple of months to a different area in the house. I want to have the house set up so that it serves me in the best way. I ama tired of makinig do and hope by rearranging a few things that it will make things runs smoother for me.

Today my chucking will be anything I found on the bookcases that I don't need to save. Happy chucking everyone.

Ruby

nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

March 19, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8436666

Chucked a bunch of left over veggies today. Chucked them right into a big pot of soup! Can't wait until it's done, it smells so good.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 19, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8437054

Sounds really good Tracie. I am going to eat the last bowl of chili that I prepared earlier in the week. I will also have a bowl of potato salad that I made earlier today. John just had a bowl and said it was really good.

Several hours today I spent going through the closet in my plant room which was loaded up a couple of months ago when we did a major de-clutter. These are all items that need to be gone through again and some of it will go in a For Sale bin and the other things I kept no need new homes. I have most of the contents of the closet sitting in the floor of the room, so I will be hard at it again tomorrow.

I thought that I would sit with a box of papers I need to go through while I watched TV tonight, but have now decided that I am just too tired. I didn't sleep well last night and am feeling it right now. I chucked a full length mirror that had been sitting in the back of the clost for some years now. The mirror has become blurry and can' no longer be used. I am sure tha I will find other things that can go to the trash also. It will feel so good to have that closet finally organized.

I hope that everyone is having a good weekend.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2011
3:12 AM

Post #8437659

You go Girls ,I chucked a bunch of leaves that re gathered in my landscape !!! I thought i cleaned them up in the fall...weather perking up.. yea

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8438368

3 boxes of ceral out of here! Two were ones I keep for the girls and it is time to get some fresh and one was Quaker Oatmeal Squares I bought for myself. I didn't care for them at all...YUCK!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8438375

Oh, i love those quaker oatmeal squares, mostly just out of the box. But they are super high in calories so, none of them right now.

I better go find something to chuck today.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

March 20, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8438810

Chucked a bunch of CD cases. I keep the CD's in a album type thing in my car and never put them back in the cases, so...what am I saving them for? I pitched a bunch of them.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8441424

ive got another goodwill bag started.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8441436

Chucked some items from the medicine cabinet. Expiration 2005, 2008, 2009.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8442681

oooo...Good reminder Mrs. Ed!!

I ought to check some stuff. I stock up on cold meds so we have them on hand if/when we need them so always have a stockpile! I however have not had a cold in over 2 years!! lol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8444564

oh you shouldn't have said that! quick, knock wood!
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

March 24, 2011
7:46 AM

Post #8447084

Hi! Sure looks like all are being busy!! Have not been doing much 'chucking', did get my house tools in order!
Decided to buy small tool boxes (could have used the small storage containers from dollar store) did not think of that, then put all the screwdrivers in one and labeled the box, pliers in another and labeled it...now it is easy to find what I want, will put all glue into one also!
While cleaning the carpets with my lil 'bissell' carpet cleaner (has brushes and sells about $100) I decided to do the kitchen floor with it...IT WORKED GREAT!! No bending and the brushes cleaned up the dry spills. No rinsing out pads or brushes and it sucks up all the old dirty water so floor dried fast. Just had to empty the container of dirty water when done. I do have a small apt. so this worked great and did not have to do much bending! Will definitely do this again!!
Sun out today, has been cold here in MA...can't wait for warmer weather!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8448955

sounds like a great Idea,the key to a super clean floor is sucking up the dirty water that is left behind..I clean professonally,I hate tile that has divets in it,holds little puddles of dirty water ,unless you then wipe it dry,I do .Loving all that new laminate flooring in my offices and homes.I use a star fiber mop now,velcro removeable pads,angled it really gets in the corners,its like 18 x 5 telescoping handle,Im tall so thats wonderful.I fill a bucket and use 2 pads,I always have gloves on anyway so its no biggie to have to rinse and wring out.Soo much better than Any sponge mop,or string .

I need to get busy,have not beeen doin much,im badd =(

our bed room needs picked up really bad,I think there is a whole cat on the carpet..Hair,they love the dark green carpet go figure,thats where they fight and sleep !!! LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 26, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8451206

I have spent most of the last two days working on my houseplants. I had a large snake plant that had outgrown its pot and that was a very messy job. I cut off any damaged stalks and sent them to the compost pile. I repotted in a large pot so they can grow for a few more years and have extra space. So, I guess my chucking has been ailing plants parts. hahaha

I realized when working with the plants that I haven't given them much attention this whole winter mainly because I was using that room to hold boxes and bins of items I have been going through while attempting a very major de-cluttering project. Until I had the extra storage containers packed away for now, there was hardly room to walk around in the room and thus made tending the plants a rather unpleasant chore. It is now set up in a workable way and I am sure the plant swill love the attention I will be able to give them now.

While de-cluttering, I realized there are furnishings that I want to change around from room to room. I am going to swap three book shelves and my next project will be going through them and seeing what items can be chucked. I hate to do it but there are a gazillion unread magazines that I have hanging on to thinking I would get to them at some point. The time never came and soon they will be chucked. I have tried to be responsible in times past and have either donated other magazines or sent to recycling. I don't have a huge amount this go round and they may just end up in the trash. Not sure yet.

Anyway...I love hearing how things are going with everyone. Reading about your chucking helps motivate me and often gives me ideas of things that can be chucked that I hadn't thought of before.

Ladyslipper, our weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow is calling for three to five inches of the white stuff. I can't complain too much because we have gotten off easy this year. Last year was definitely a record breaking year for snow here and I was glad to get a reprieve this year.

Take care all and I hope that everyone is having an enjoyable weekend.

Ruby

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 28, 2011
11:26 PM

Post #8457583

Ruby, you're right about an accumulation of magazines. I inherited dozens of subject-specific magazines a few weeks back. I thought I'd systematically go through each and every one, but it just isn't happening. I simply don't have the time to read magazines. I stopped buying magazines a few years ago because they'd just sit around, unread and cluttering up the place.

Today I took another couple of boxes of odds and sods to the animal rescue op-shop.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 29, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8458130

Margaret, I suppose it goes back to my upbringing and being raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression. I just find that throwing away a magazine that hasn't been opened and enjoyed by someone is a sin of sorts. So wasteful. There does come a time when wastefulness be dammed, as the magazines or whatever I am saving for the future needs to just go. Whatever the item I am saving, needs to leave the premises in order for me to have space for items that I need to store or the space used to display something lovely to look at.

Anyway...good going Margaret, you now can enjoy the space where the magazines were.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8462153

its a funny thing about Magazines,why we like to keep them,ive started just pulling the articles I wanted to save.Thats hard to do... I have large clear plastic envelopes ,1 for plants 1 for projects ,1 for recipes.That way I dont have 100s of pages to leaf through to find the 1 i was looking for.ive got a stack of NG Im taking to the nursing home today.Keep up the good work
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 1, 2011
6:48 AM

Post #8464596

That is a great idea hugger. At least by doing this, some use was made of the magazine. I still have a stack I want to glance through which all have articles on organizing. They will be chucked after that. On occasion I will take a bag full by the local laundromat for folks to read while waiting for their clothes to wash and dry.

A few years ago I answered a freecycle ad in which someone needed a supply to use with some gardening project. He was very happy to get them. Speaking of Freecycle, it is an excellent way to get rid of items that still have some life in them and to also find something a person may be looking for but doesn't want to invest money in. I was very active with our local group some years back but haven't been involved for quite awhile now.

Happy chucking all.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8479345

deposited a check for $17.73 from the second consignment shop i have an account with. yah-hoo!

blew out the knees on my mom jeans. removed the mud crusted things and fed the pants to the woodstove. burned work bra #2 also. feels so good!
jansasierra
Mission, TX

April 7, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8479759

I hope that all of you don't mind if I just jump in here! I, too, hate to throw away anything that could be useful to someone else. My Mother lived through the Great Depression and impressed upon me at a young age that nothing should be "thrown away" if it could be reused. (Mother is 98, has a good mind, and lives with my husband and me.) Through FreeCycle I have been able to "chuck" piles of magazines to art teachers and history teachers at a middle school nearby. Once I found out that these teachers can use them for cutting out pictures or creating projects, I contact them about every 6 months to get rid of the new accumulation.

I was at a hospital waiting room recently while my Mother was getting her pacemaker changed. There was a large sign on the information desk that said the hospital welcomed any type of used magazine donation so long as the magazines were in good condition and NOT TOO OLD. (Darn...now I don't know what to do with my collection of various Good Housekeeping, Southern Living and Ladies' Home Journal--all from the 80s and 90s, mind you, that I thought I would have time to peruse and clip recipes, home decorating ideas, etc. LOL)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2011
2:22 AM

Post #8479904

Thats good to know about Hospitals taking not too old mags.I will keep that in mind.They are building a new Hospital here,we needed it a long time ago.Its here now,looks real nice too.
Jan I ve been tearing out articles, then recycling the mags ,I have lg clear plastic envelopes w/snap closeure,different colors for gardening ,recipes ,decorating,craft.I find Im using the torn out articles and recipes more often.Wayy less clutter.Or if your more computer savey scan and save...

took a bag full to Goodwill,chucked 2 pr. of nice shoes into it also,Threw away 2 pair of really bad old birkenstocks..LOL... man they were bad...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 8, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8480734

Huckleberry, I haven't seen you in a coon's age, whatever that means. hahaha So good to have you back with us. I want to hear about your recent trip to help your ailing mother. I hope that your posting means that she is recovered or at least recovering nicely from a bad back.

Good work ladies. Magazines have been an issue for me too. I hate that I have gotten rid of many that never even came out of the plastic wrappers that some are shipped in. So many were never even glanced at by me. I have learned to stop taking subscriptions these days because most every magazine has a website if I am so inclined and I am usually too tired of reading after spending time on the computer that I no longer get the enjoyment I used to with both magazines and books.

The biggest t hing I am learning about having to spend so much time in my life de-cluttering and chucking, is that if I don't bring the stuff in the house, I don't have to chuck it.

You folks all have a good weekend.

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8481355

In a refrigerator with 7 types of mustard, I decided I could do without the stone ground. Chucked!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 9, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8482185

Love it Mrs. Ed.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8482495

Whew...we are good then. Only have 3 types of mustard!! lol
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 14, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8495021

Quiet here. Does going through two or three weeks of junk mail and shredding for compost count as a chuck?

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8495534

yup
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8495905

I would say yes, and where is everybody?

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8495932

Finally able to get outside...taking a break from chucking!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 14, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8496045

I've gone through old letters and cards (again) and have chucked a whole pile of them.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2011
2:44 AM

Post #8496916

Any chucking is good chucking...and I love Chuckling..LOL

We are all out Chucking weeds and winter garden Trash...with all the plants Ive been potting up for a fund raiser,is that considered a chuck ???

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8497069

Good question. I've been weeding, splitting, potting etc. too. But I don't consider garden stuff a part of this for some reason.

On the other hand, just went through all my seeds. There are tons of partially used packets and I've been wondering if I should just chuck those.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 15, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8497603

Mrs_Ed...I too have lots of half packages and some few year old seeds in my collection. I am seriously thinking of finding an area and just emptying all the packets and let them fall where they may and live if they may also. It would be interesting to see what survives and what they do.

Oh yeah, I too had a chance to do some yard work yesterday. We live in the country and with hubby's permission and at his suggestion actually, just took a lot of debris and threw over the fence. Hopefully the lighter weight things won't just blow back in to the yard. hahaha All that work for nothing...if that happens.

Happy Friday and here is wishing everyone a great weekend. Happy Gardening.

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8497665

I try to split packs with my mom and my sister since both of them also have small vegetable gardens, but even then… i have lots of leftovers. As far as the flower seeds go, I WILL plant a bunch of these this year just to see if they make it. if they do, they'll be transplanted to a new butterfly garden on city property. I'll grow them in big pots though, because the property won't be ready until the middle of summer.

So back to the mustard. I threw out a jar of honey dijon, even though it had some left in it. It was of course, difficult for me to do (not very frugal). However, I replaced it with regular honey mustard. So perhaps that doesn't count as a chuck!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 15, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8497679

Yummy on the honey mustard.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8497701

yes it is yummy!

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2011
3:42 AM

Post #8499245

Cant wait to hear about the seeds your going to sow...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 18, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8503671

I was a bit down hearted yesterday when my dogs turned over a pot of seedlings I had started a few weeks back. I had forgotten to move them from in front of the door where they sit and get sun each day. When I had company and went to the front deck the dogs came to the door where the seedlings were and were carrying on to get outside with us. Upon returning indoors, I was greeted by one of the pots being turned up side down and soil every where and puppy tracks leading away from the mess. This reminds me that I still have to vacuum where the soil is. I let it dry over night so it will be easy to get up today. Thankfully I was able to hopefully save most of the sprouts from that pot and just lovingly stuck them in the unturned pot. Hope they continue to do well for me.

Here is wishing everyone a good week coming up.

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8503854

oh good luck. I know seedlings can often bounce back.

So, the MAJOR chuck of the year for me, an old toilet! Replaced by a new, water efficient beauty. The things that excite homeowners!

Not really a chuck since we got a new one, but had to post about it somewhere. Don't think there's a Toilet forum. LOL.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8505861

Are you going to plant flowers in the old one ??? Congrats on the New Efficient One..

The Dh brought 1 home from spring clean up days drilled a hole in the bottom,it is a peatunia planter now ..I love it..LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8505952

Ha. I thought about it. Told my DH to use it at his work.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8505991

Porta Potty..LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 20, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8508474

Mrs_Ed...we purchased one of those toilets a few months back and I want to also replace the other bathroom toilet now, even though it is fine. I love my new one, and also posted on Dave's when I first got mine. I totally understand the excitement.

Hmmm...was busy doing other things yesterday and can't think of a thing I chucked. I will have to do double duty today.

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8508525

Oh thanks Ruby! I actually asked for a new toilet for last Christmas. LOL. ah, home ownership.

Next week, a towing company is picking up our 20' powerboat. We've donated it to "Wheels for Wishes", the vehicle donation program for Make a Wish foundation. Easier than trying to sell it and Gets DH off my back. Was tough to part with it in general, and then was tough to part with it for no money, as I wanted money for my flagstone patio fund. LOL.

Hope it gets sold to someone who will love it. it's a nice boat.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8510458

WOW great donation Marna,good for the heart an soul.We need a new toilet,I, well the dh had put a dang rock in the tank,I didnt know it ..Toilet not flushing like Normal,so I take the lid off thinking something is up ...well a biggg rock in the tank,Im mad I pick it up and it slips I drop it ,Cracked the tank,Im really mad now...Why a rock Ill never know??? The tank drips a little, an eff one would be nice for a replacement,we will see.He was mad at me??? Oh well..LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8510539

hahaha. OOPs, I dropped the rock. now we need a new toilet. tee hee. nice going!

I had heard to put a brick in the toilet tank. It displaces the water, therefore using less per flush.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8510611

A plastic quart bottle is better !!! OH I wont get a new toilet,till it leaks or worse !!! Im married to the master procrastinator !!! I just wait...LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8510619

maybe something heavier has to drop on it. lol.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8510628

UMM that could accidently happen...LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8510669

"I swear honey, I was just using this sledge hammer as a toilet paper holder, and ooops!"
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8513160

Haha,Id love to do that,but outside..LOL
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8513166

shoot had relapse..brought home 100s of plant pots ...they are leaving with plants in them though..im repourposing some old chairs into potting chairs for the fund raiser.I will have to post photos.DH worked on the chicken wire basket,looking good.so the chairs came from a friend that was cleaning out his barn,chucked ,then Rechucked ..LOL

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8515005

wish I could get my DH to work on anything...lol!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8515018

OH dont worry ,he does fun things ..not the other big projects he started and never finished..LOL I have too.. ) =..Its sad he is good at all he does..
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 25, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8520559

Went through a drawer this morning which contained (note past tense) work-related paperwork. don't need that any longer. Shredded.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 27, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8523621

You ladies were good for a laugh this morning. All the talk of the toilets is hilarious. Thinking back, I believe in one of my past houses we too had a rock in the toilet tank. hahaha Love it.

Oh yeah, only thing I chucked yesterday with only a bit of hesitation was a glass pickle jar. Being raised by parents from the Great Depression I picked up many of my mothers habits and saving glass was one of them. Yesterday was a very busy day in which I spent baby sitting my two grand children. I wanted things done quickly and without having to give it much thought. So, off to the garbage it went.

Hopefully in about two weeks when my house plants can safely go outdoors for the summer, I will begin my de-cluttering and re-decorating of my plant room. I should find some things to chuck then. I have been waiting for several months now to tackle this whole room do-over and want to finally have it looking the way I want it. I have so many house plants in the room that moving around or moving furniture around was sometimes difficult.

I hope that everyone is having a great week.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8525712

Glad we made you laugh Ruby,with all this wet weather we need a giggle or 2...i cant wait to get all my annuals outside..also,some house plants .Got a bag in the truck for GW..Keep forgetting to drop it off..LOL oh well...hey the sun is shinning Id better go look at it,spose to rain more today...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 2, 2011
3:05 AM

Post #8533762

Hi Hugger - In the next few weeks I suppose I will be having lots of chucking going on. For several months now I have been waiting to attack the room where I housed most of my houseplants for the winter. When the plants are moved safely outside after the frost scare date of May 15, I am hoping to do a major rearranging of the room. This was only the second year that I housed most of the plants in the one area and I haven't found a satisfying look or a best functional set up yet. I am hoping that taking two large book cases from that room to my living room will open things up and give the room more space and an all around better look.

There is no telling what I am going to find hiding that needs to be chucked in some form or the other. Much will be either donated or sold at this point. I believe that while performing a major de-cluttering of the house during the winter monts pretty much has ridded the room of trashables. Most every thing in there at this point is usuable, just not needed, so it can go on to a second life somewhere else.

Oh yeah, my project for the day yesterday was emptying the drawers in my desk of the paper items that were beginning to be many in number. I first collected everything in to a grocery bag and then set about saving what I wanted to keep, a bag for shredding material and a bag for trash. It was kind of slow going, but I made a good dent in the stack and hope to finish either today or tomorrow.

It is always interesting to find little notes of quotes that I have copied down. I need to begin a little file of sorts for all the good quotes and keep them together somehow so that in times of need, I have an inpirational compilation to refer to. I also found many little garden and plant notes that also need to be organized in to some type of folder or something. None of the above does me much good when they are scattered here, there and every where.

Anyway...Monday is upon us again...I hope this is a beginning of a great week for all.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8533767

you are a busy woman,I only keep a few house plants,used to keep a lot of them .Yup monday here again..Make it great day everyone
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 7, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8545446

Hope that everyone will have a good weekend. Happy chucking.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8546992

i have been cleaning and assistant chucking at my parents' and sister's homes. got home and started in on our "office". dh had a cow AND a canary! =^..^= he was partly right, as i am going to be completely occupied in the garden and will not finish this "office" clean-up. i was just so inspired and frustrated by cleaning up eveyone else's messes while mine gathered more dust.

took several bags of plastic food tubs to the recycling/spring cleaning event at the fairgrounds. they accepted my jar of spent batteries also. a toilet seat lid and a box of small dysfunctional appliances went bye-bye. bon voyage!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 8, 2011
12:41 AM

Post #8547072

Have a lovely weekend too, Ruby.

You know, huckleberry, I cannot imagine any circumstances where I'd ever buy a second hand toilet seat lid. Amazing. Well done.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8547299

oM may clean up days are coming we have 2 chairs that are well the webbing or weaving has given out and they are nice like a rocker but no rockers heavy metal frame,but cant be repaired...going to town to MOMs and a few other items YAY,Then we will have to do some alley cruising just in case there is a treasure left out by the curb...I might need ..LOL

Happy Mothers Day...

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8547406

Threw out all the old seeds that I had collected over the last 2- 4 years. No way I would have have gotten that much stuff planted!! Clearly I lost sight of reality somewhere and thought I had to grow everything!! lol

Hope all the Moms have a great day!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 8, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8547507

Nanny, I have a feeling I am right behind in terms of throwing out some seeds soon. I pulled mine out yesterday and like yourself, I don't have enough acreage to plant all that I have amassed. Wanted to plant a few yesterday but day light ran out on me. Will attempt to get the newer ones in some soil today.

Huckleberry, it is always great to hear from you. Way to go on getting rid of some items plus making a start on the office clean up. Starting is always the worst part, maybe you can find a few minutes each day to do just a little bit of organizing and chucking and before you know it, the office will be back in good order. I am so glad you posted, I miss you girl.

Hello to huggergirl and Margaret K.

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8548972

Margaret, have you never heard of a divorce shower? The ex-spouse gets his/her photo framed with a toilet seat.
I came by my toilet seat lid in an extremely unusual way. DH's grandmother got dementia. We found out because she called to say someone was sneaking into her home and making the toilet seat brown. She had scrubbed it clean, only to discover it was brown again. We could not figure out what was up. When we got to her home, we discovered she had scrubbed the white enamel paint off most of the toilet seat. She would not believe it, so DH took the old seat off, sawed it in half to prove to her that it was made of wood underneath the thick white paint. She refused to believe him. He had to go buy a new toilet seat set. He replaced the bottom part (of course it did not fit, her toilet was circa 1927) but she demanded to keep the old lid. That is how I became the proud owner of a brand new toilet seat lid.
I am embarrassed to admit this incident occured 14 years ago. I have been keeping it in the chance someone, somewhere may have an ugly break-up and I will have just the thing to make them laugh again...
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 9, 2011
2:25 AM

Post #8549068

What a funny story, huck. I haven't heard of a divorce shower, but I guess it makes sense.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 9, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8549557

The huckleberry story is good for a good chuckle for sure. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of the divorce shower idea either, but do love it.

It is Monday again and I want to wish everyone a very productive week whether it is being spent on gardening chores or inside chucking chores. I suppose I could mix the two together and get my star for the day for doing quite a bit of weeding and chucking of the weeds from a couple of flower beds last evening. Once I got started, I couldn't stop.

It is a bit after 11 AM and I have the back door open and am looking out on a really lovely day. I hear the wind rustling the leaves in the trees and a bird tweet from time to time. Spring in Virginia just can't be beat. I looks like a great day to get out and see what sorts of garden chores I can do today. Certainly not interested in staying indoors on such a lovely day.

Carpe diem.

Ruby
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8551603

ahh thanks Ruby,going to be another great day today.i wont be doing any chucking today,got plants to take care of...YAY warm enough to be outside...
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8556843

i'm joining you two out in the garden. chucked loads of weeds onto the compost pile in my yard yesterday. repeated the process today at my sister's. yesterday was one of those glorious spring days here too.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 11, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8556886

I chucked a jar of sour cream. It didn't start off as such. LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8557150

youch!

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8557204

i did chuck some furry sourcream wasnt even expired...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 14, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8562367

Oh my gosh...this will definitely remind me to keep an eye on the next sour cream I purchase. Hope that everyone is having a good weekend.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2011
9:53 PM

Post #8563422

cleaned up the travel drawer. donated last year's maps, brochures and guidebooks to the library free box. getting better at resisting these. keep up the good work, everyone.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 15, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8563928

I used to always come home with an arm load of free magazines whenever visiting the Library too. Our local Library did away with that program. Just when I needed a place for the amassment that I collected over the years too. Oh well, I did recycle most of them when I got around to getting rid of them. Good work!!!

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8565327

I drop my magazines off at doctor's waiting rooms. I am glad that I saw this as we are going to Seoul this week so hubby can see one and I need to gather up the last several months worth. I distribute them in the different waiting rooms while we wait for the Dr. to call for him. (Birds & Blooms always goes to the pediatrics waiting room - the kids love the pretty pictures ☺)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8566144

Thats soo true kids love BB...My 7 yrs old grandson has subs to BB and Garden Gate...i take my BB to the dental office that We clean..Putt them with the kids books.

Have another bag started for GW
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 16, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8566543

Geat ideas ladies. I suppose my grand daughter is still a bit young for her own subscription to any of the magazines mentioned, but will keep the idea in mind when I need to think of a gift for her.

Yes, I have been known to take copies of some of my magazines to doctors offices in the past too. Will need to make a trip somewhere soon as my pile is expanding.

Thanks for checkin in ladies. Hope that you will have a great week coming up.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8568463

my granddaughter is a city kid and she loved Birds and Blooms and Country magazine.

put a lovely sweater on the consignment pile because i felt cold and then hot when i wore it at Easter.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

May 22, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8580656

Need to get back to it, seem to have lost my momentum, so away we go. Have started cutting up fruit and veggies in to small containers when i bring them home. this way we just have to grab one to pack lunches or for snacking. Today, I even split the leftover spaghetti into 3 small containers, I hope this encourages people just to grab it and nuke it, so I am chucking less food.
Goal for tomorrow, give my bedroom a quick once over before work and maybe the spare room. Sure I can find something to chuck between the two rooms.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 22, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8580943

I've just returned from taking a few items to the animal protection op-shop. Included was a small tea pot. I thought I'd be unlikely to ever brew tea in a pot again, so off it went to a new home.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8581255

put 2 lawn type chairs out by the road with a free sign,gone ... Im glad I was outside when she stopped to see the chairs..She was my Teacher in High School,retired now.We got to talking she never married..almost..but didnt..We have a widower friend,Im like would you like to meet us for coffee,and I will invite Tom..im excited, hoping there could be sparks..
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 23, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8581301

Oh, that could be a best selling novel.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8581418

Ha! matchmaking and Chucking!

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8581498

LOL =)
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

May 23, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8583273

Chucked a pair of jean today. they fit, but the back pocket was torn. Had them sitting around for a couple months telling myself I would mend them. Admitted today that that was never going to happen, and I have other jeans, so out they went.
Did the bedroom and guest room today as planned, tomorrow the bathroom is first on the list.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 23, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8583351

Well done!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 24, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8584144

Good work. Gosh, can't recall anything I chucked other than a piece of side meat that had been in refrigerator for months and months. It was a chunk of meat that is used when seasoning dry beans. I love any dry bean, but just don't cook as many I could, so didn't want to chance the meat having spoiled.

As soon as the month of May has passed and maybe our event calendar slows down a bit, I will be able to begin my attack on my plant room which I have been waiting months to get started on. A lot of the items in that room will be chucked someway and somehow. The room which houses my very large collection of house plants during cold months was not set up for the best functionality this past winter, so I am hoping to be able to correct that while the plants are outside for the summer.

Nurse, you speak of having to throw out too much food. I don't throw out much, but even a little bit often bothers me. I have read that the average family ends up throwing out about five hundred dollars a year worth of food. That is a lot of wasted money if you ask me. Gosh, if we can just do little things such as what you are going to try by putting in to separate containers, hopefully it will cut down on the amount that is wasted at your place.

So glad to hear from everyone. Happy chucking.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8584444

Speaking ofthrowing out food...Yes, a waste. Today I cleared out freezer of out dated items. Came across two bags of pick your own berries from last season that I was going to make jam out of but "forgot". The cardinals are having a real feast and everything else went in the compost bin. Need to find a way tokeep track of inventory and rotate it!

Good work you all.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

May 24, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8585616

Decided to wait until tomorrow on the bath, or I guess that is today since it's after midnight. Did the front room and living room. Not much to chuck there since I decluttered. Did send some stuff up to daughter's room and tossed a few q-tips the cat had found somewhere. Now she looks at me like I threw away gold, my goodness the guilt these cats can lay on you! lol
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 25, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8586070

How funny Nurse. They were fun toys for the kitty. Oh don't you hate the pitiful looks that our pets can give us? Yep, they are good for laying guilt trips on us. I guess that is why I cannot recall a meal that I have eaten at home in the last ten or so years that I was able to eat the complete meal myself. When you have either two or three anxious and sometimes drooling dogs sitting watching every mouth full you take, it is hard not to share.

I am always amazed at how in tune to kitchen sounds my dogs are. They know to come running when the can opener is used and also know the sound of the refrigerator and freezer doors opening. Crinkle a piece of paper and there they are too. So much fun though.

No chucking report here either.

Have a good one all.

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8586082

Ruby, I did not realize that you lived at MY house! LOL.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 25, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8586118

So, you have furry kids too?

Ruby

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8586262

oh yes. four of them. Two of the canine persuasion and two feline nutcases.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8590142

LOL...Me too 2 always hungry Cats...No chucking here ...sure wish it would dry up soon,would love to chuck some plants into the soil...
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

May 31, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8600622

A few years back my daughter found a baby bird in a parking lot, we think it had been taken from a nest. She saved it and it turned out to be a starling. She had it a couple years. Since it was a wild bird she had to feed it meal worms, which she kept in the refrig. If the bird was out of the cage and you opened the refrig, he came running.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 1, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8600858

Cute...
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8621411

cleaned up a pile of reading material i stashed on the sofa after i returned from san francisco in late february...

Mommy, why did you steal my Q-tips? =^..^= Can I have that birdie to play with? Pulleeze? =^..^=
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 23, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8650724

I took another bag of stuff to the animal welfare op-shop today.

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8654725

I haven't thrown or given anything away in a long time. Now if I could get rid of some of DH things I would be soooooo busy.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8655107

I cleaned the shed out,recycled some buckets ,and some trays and cells got tossed.Took a bag to Good Will and gave some tops to my DH s exwife.then I washed all the dead bugs off my motorcycle and went for a ride..Now I have to wash it again...LOL..Was a beautiful day yesterday
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 11, 2011
12:43 AM

Post #8685233

Well, I didn't chuck anything, but I did find a bag of raspberry liquorice, expiry date July, 2009. And it's delicious!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8685460

Oh I love rasberry and liquorice,had some strawberry last nite,ummm too much,I cant stop,once I start...

Have not chucked anything but plant material lately...but its summer...LOL

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8686635

Last week I finally went through a box of envelopes, cards, note paper that I knew I wouldn't use. Well, took out a few things to keep and put the rest in the recycle bin. Now 'm wondering why I didn't do that a long time ago. If I can keep up this for a while I'll find some room to relax in. I have many small stuffed toys in my living room that my dog loves, but which ones do I get rid of. Whose fault was it that I have these toys all over, well mine of course.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 22, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8709067

Hello to all. I haven't seen much action on here lately. Yesterday I finally opened a plastic bin that has been sitting in our spare bedroom for some months now to see what was inside. From what I could tell there were a lot of papers that needed going through. Closer to the bottom of the bin I found some framed pictures and some other types of mementos that I want to hold on to. I took about a plastic grocery bag full of papers out and went through them while watching TV yesterday afternoon. I actually still have a pile of "keeps" sitting on top of the side table beside the sofa. I need to tackle that before sitting down for the evening because it won't get done again if I don't. I was able to find what amounted to abot half the bag that could either be put in the shredding bin or in the trash. I think I will go back through the pile again and maybe I will find that some of it can go too.

All in all, not making a whole lot of progress recently, but at least the job isn't as large as it once was. Have a great weekend all.

Ruby

ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

July 22, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8709265

Howdy all and pray all are keeping cool!
Sure is a hot summer...
One thing I do try to keep to is 'bring in or buy one thing OUT goes something!
Sure does make me think before bringing in things.
2 baskets of items to go through in living room, just no energy or zip to do it, wish they had something to give us the go to get these boring things done...
Good to hear from you Ruby!

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 22, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8709315

Nothing more accomplished, but I did dig out an old metal stand that at one time held a fish tank, from the patio area, sanded off all the rust I could and am now in the process of painting it a brilliant blue with rustoleum. It will sit out in back with some planters on it. I much rather play outside than inside. Did throw out a lot of white tiles I was saving for a project someday. I won't even use some pieces so no sense saving them. I'm just a saver of things, could be classified as hoarder.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8710190

LOL,could be classified...we all could be...oh shoot I havent done much either,its been a scorcher,maybe today I can get something done,it rained a little last night YAY maybe it will cool down a bit, or break the humidity.i have my curio cabinet calling my name,Soo full I cant get anything in or out..That will be my next tackle,soon I hope..LOL... all have a good day

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 23, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8710221

My curio cabinet is the only thing that isn't cluttered. LOL How could I let my house get in such an awful state...guess I can't put the blame on anyone but myself.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 23, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8710462

Hi Geraldine and All - Well, it is still early in the day and I suppose if I try a bit, I might get something done today. Not gonna push myself though because of the principle of the thing...temps over 100, makes me melt to even think of it. Thankfully tomorrow the temperatures are supposed to drop and that will be a God send.

The pile of papers sitting on the table beside the sofa are still there. I don't usually allow things to sit around like that for days, but just haven't felt like going through it again yet. I am slowly but surely emptying out the plant room where I will bring in houseplants from porch when temps begin to cool in couple of months. It wasn't set up efficiently last winter and I want to have things setting differently in order to be able to maintain the plants easier. I still have a few items that need to be packed and stored before I can work out the design the room will take. I have been taking my time doing this, so it is really slow going. Maybe a bit of time can be spent in there today.

Anyway...so glad that so many of you wrote. We can still stay in touch even if we aren't chucking. I hope that everyone will enjoy their weekend. Stay cool everyone.

Ruby

ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

August 7, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8742963

Has sure been a very busy summer...was in the tornado area on July 1 and had some damage to trees back of apt. also son had some yard damage. Clean up was hard, lots of places in my town ( Monson, MA.) got hit hard...looked like a war zone...but we are comming together and all will eventually be nice again.
Monson is a small town, no traffic lights yet...but is nice and usually quiet.
Did get some tomato and cucumber plants in and they are producing great! Been giving some away.
Got some blueberry and blackberry jam canned and will try to do peach preserves and salsa. Will give away for Xmas presents.
Ruby, always good from you...do stay well and cool...humid weather this weekend with rain..
handbright
Coral Springs, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 8, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8743825

Oh ladyslipper- I am so sorry you had to deal with this! After I read your post I went and looked on youtube to see what had happened, and it sure looked scary. When we get hurricanes here they spawn off little tornados and they are more destructive and cause more damage than the storm itself. From experience, I know it's hard to focus on cleaning up inside when the outside is a mess, and one is just reeling, it's an emotional attack.
I'm glad to read you are able to do some gardening despite the devastation.

Man o man, Ruby I hear you! I HATE paperwork! I'd much rather scrub a floor... or iron, or do anything else but paperwork. I dont mind the regular bills, I have control of those. It's the health insurance stuff that is making me crazy. It seems to take forever to get up the courage to wade into it, and once I get started and make phone calls that ALWAYS lead to other phone calls, that lead to me being kept on eternal hold, and then (finally, I think to myself) getting transferred to the "right" department, which isnt right at all and where I have to start all over to explain, and then transferred to the next "right department" (but alas, is the wrong department after all, so please hold), I've forgotten what I needed to do to begin with. I have been kept on hold for over 2 hours, afraid to eat, because as soon as one takes a bite of food, that is precisely when some new "representative" in that new "right" department comes in and asks, "Can I help you?" So you gulp and swallow and almost choke, and explain (again) and usually they say, oh, we are sorry, you were transferred to the wrong department. The next thing I know its 5:00 and I'm ready for the loony bin.

I never know what "they" (bc/bs, the irs, etc.) are going to need me to reference and no file is big enough to handle it all. So it all stays out on my dining room table in piles and piles. It's driving me nuts! (Plus they speak their own peculiar and idiosyncratic language and refer to forms and "statements sent" that are just the same statements that they sent before. After awhile it begins to feel like they have made up their own language, like the kind of secret language that you read about that twins make up and share. I am positive that insurance companies are deliberately befuddling.

So, for today, I am going to go through one pile of mail that has been sitting here that needs attending to. But I am not going to call anyone. I am just going to sort. Part of my problem is that I dont have a shredder anymore for the stupid stuff, having burned through two of them. I think a fire pit is in my future... really.

Today is garbage day- I love garbage day...

Be well everyone,
Amy
:)

Wishing you all a productive day-

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 8, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8743947

Chucked a pair of medieval crusher-torture boots. I was thinking of putting them in the box for the animal welfare op-shop, but in all conscience couldn't inflict them on another living soul.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8744820

*snort* an to think I thought you liked torture.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 8, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8745033

How interesting Margaret...I straightened my master closet yesterday and chucked two pair of winter boots and a pair of shoes also. My daughter in law picked them up about an hour ago. The boots are like brand new because since developing balance and walking issues, I don't go outside in ice and snow.

Ladyslipper, thank you for starting this conversation after it has been quiet for so long. It is always good to hear from others when it has been a while since we have spoken. I didn't realize that MA had a tornado. Good grief, it does sound as though it did quite a bit of damage...I am so glad that your garden is producing for you. Ours hasn't done much at all this year compared to last year when I spent a lot of time in the kitchen preparing the veggies for freezing and using later. Good thing I still have tomatoes left over.

Amy, I really like Emerson's take on leaving the past in the past. Starting anew should relieve of us all the negatives, but I know that doing this is so much easier said than done. Hopefully we have learned lessons from our pasts and don't need to repeat the same sorts of negative things again. There are some lessons that seem to continue to be a theme in our lives and that is when I believe we need to re-examine our parts in whatever the upset may be, own our own parts of it and forgive the others involved if need be.

Anyway...the kids just left for the day and I am realizing while trying to write this that I am whipped out. Tired and not thinking straight. So, I best be off lest I begin writing real gobble di goop. Good term for how my brain feels about now.

Good to see everyone and hope to see you all again soon.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8772808

3 recycle bins filled, garbage out.for collection today. Trunk of car full of electronic recyclablesto take to special center here on way to work. Roof and gutters cleaned out, new downspout extender installed (in case hurricane coming up the coast hits us with deluge. New batteries in weather radio. Found old cell phone and got it to work while new one is repaired/replaced. Lost all saved contact info on nonfuntioning phone. Reminder to self to have a better back up for important numbers (computers, too) De- trashed vehicles. It's noon time!! I love cool days when I can wear jeans and a long sleeved shirt for "dirty work".

Any one else inspired lately?

Judy
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 23, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8772851

Oh my gosh...talk about going at it when you decide to go at it, you did it Judy. Good going. Hmmmm...hadn't really planned on doing any chucking today but now that you mentioned it, maybe I will find something to get gone. I was thinking while out earlier that I may need to soon make a trip to the local laundromat with more magazines that continuosly pile up here. Maybe I will do that, or at least get them bagged up and take later.

Thanks for the reminder. Again, great going girl.

Ruby
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

August 29, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8783588

Lowe's (where I work p.t.) had a clearance on lawn decorations and I went BONZO!! Will use them for presents but will keep some also (bring in something have to get rid of something), anyone want my cat LOLLOL!! Did make salsa...will taste good in Dec. and Feb...
Had another 'tropical storm' was supposed to be a hurricane, much flooding...didn't get much damage here but the plants got a lil straggly...still have green tomatoes on vines...will wait for them to ripen for salads etc...our gardening season is winding down here in MA...seems like it just started...had a tough year with the weather.
Want to clean out the garden shed before winter comes in. Hopefully I will get to it!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8784348

today i removed the lip balm i did not like out of it's tube and recycled the tube too. atta girl!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 30, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8784840

Hi Ladyslipper and Huck. Thanks for checking in. While reading this I asked hubby who is making a run in to town for a pound of bacon to take the grocery bag of magazines I bagged up recently to the laundromat where I often take my leftover reading materials. So, that is my chuck for today.

Yesterday, I further emptied out the room I have been dealing with all summer trying to get it ready to bring my houseplants back inside for the winter in a month or so. I had a corner in the room where I stacked gift items that I have bought on sale in the past. I decided to bag them up and store in the shed until they are needed. Upon inspection of the shed I realized that I can Christmas Shop, Baby Shower gift shop, Bridal Shower shop, Birthday and all sorts of gift shopping just from the still boxed up items sitting in the shed.

I watched two hours of hoarders last evening and one of the ladies was a compulsive shopper, which many of the hoarders are. Looking back over the past few years I can see where I was coming very close to becoming one of those myself. Thankfully with the help of folks on the clean and clutter forum last winter I was able to pretty much break that bad habit and I haven't been bringing in too very many unneeded items.

Huck, we sound much alike in our love of recycling when possible. I have only recently become aware of my tendency to hold on to things that the majority of folks probably never stop to think about and toss directly in to the trash. Last night when finishing up a small plastic pot of a cheese spread, I thought and thought of ideas to use the little tub it came in. I decided to trash it though I am sure if I had been less tired and more alert, I could have come up with ideas to use it for. I also find myself hating to throw away glass jars that food has come in. If they have an interesting design, I usually wash and store away with ideas of using it later for something. I don't usually follow through and most of the time the jars end up in a bag stored in the shed, thought often times I do end up using them as rooting jars for new plant cuttings. Most of this mentality comes from being raised in a family where the parents were products of the Great Depression.

Anyway...good to hear from you ladies, good to hear that things are going well with each of you. Ladyslipper, so glad that you didn't suffer any more damage than you did with Huricane Irene. We definitely lucked out and the storm missed us totally thankfully. We were quite shooken up from the earthquake earlier in the week though. Exciting times on the East Coast for sure. Hope this is a quieter week for all.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 30, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8786187

I was wondering how you all were faring thru the earthquake, hurricane and floods. I hope all will be well again.
Today I recycled a paint scraper that was a pain to work with.

Ruby, I also never met a glass food container I could simply chuck. I use many of them as flower vases to give away. Every so often, I recycle my stash.

Keep on chucking, everyone!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 31, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8787341

Good to hear that I am not alone with the glass saving.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 31, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8787403

Good work, everyone.

Yesterday, I had immense pleasure in chucking a recalcitrant pond pump (yes, another one). I resisted the urge to bash it with a hammer before it went in the bin for causing me such angst for almost 12 months.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8787678

lol Margaret, if I was telling the tale of two pond pumps gone bad, my punch line would be that I don't even have a pond!!!

Thanks for asking Huckleberry. Made it thru quake and Irene but lost power almost four days. In the spirit of clean and clutter free and this thread I chucked the entire contents remaining in my fridge and freezer once power came back on. Yes, all of it! No agonizing over each item's safety or value ...it all went.

I'm proud of myself for choosing not to salvage every little piece of every damaged plant or bush. I took the opportunity of an earthquake and a major huuicane to reset my priorities and loosen my grip on stuff.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

August 31, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8787884

I was beginning to feel a bit that way, but it's replacement brings reassurance.

Today I chucked an old wooden painted bangle from the 1970's into the animal welfare Op-shop box. There's another one which will go the same way.

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8787932

Good one, Margaret. Some young person will snap that 70's bangle right up!

Coleup, I'm proud of you too. It is hard work being a nurturer/rescuer, and sometimes one simply needs a break. I am glad you took this potential disaster as an opportunity for growth. It will be interesting to buy all new food.

I sent most of the cards we have received this summer to the recycle bin. yawn.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 2, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8790907

Well my sister came to visit from Ventura and my brother lives here in Las Vegas. They left this afternoon traveling 300 miles to our home town for the Labor Day celebration. Lots of out of town visitors come to see the mining events and motorcycle racing and rodeo.

They are having a town yard sale to raise money to send some senior high school students to Washington DC. I told my brother that still lives there I would find something to send up. Well I had help, so I emptied two built-in 10' tall 8 ' wide bookshelves. They were built for books and treasures. Well there are over 100 books in my home town for the yard sale. Some really nice gardening and cook books but I use the internet the majority of the time. I saved about 10 books and my sister took 8.

If you wait long enough you can chuck anything. Now I can bring out some of my favorite treasures to see every day.

Glad everyone is safe. God Bless, Sharon
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 7, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8797425

Good to see you jovial gals. Margaret, you made me giggle due to my thoughts at times regarding using hammers to take out some of my frustrations. Love it!!!

Coleup...so happy that you are moving right along and as you said...losing your grip on some of the things you felt as though you needed. You are really making some great progress recently and I commend you. Keep at it, but keep Huck's advice in mind...take breaks often if need be.

Dear Sharon - What a busy summer you have had with family visiting almost constantly it sounds as though. I know that I have an easier time letting go of some things if I believe they are going for a good purpose. Good work lady.

So good to hear from each of you. You ladies keep me going in the right direction. Have a good rest of the week all.

Ruby
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 7, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8797447

LOL, Ruby. I've learned from bitter experience that venting my spleen on an inanimate object with a hammer (or an axe) always backfires, as bits tend to fly off and skewer themselves into bony or fleshy parts of my anatomy (skull or arms, usually).

I went through a couple of cupboards in the kitchen and have chucked numerous keys. Where they came from I have no idea, but they sure didn't fit any doors around here.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 7, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8797637

Actually, some years ago a therapist I was working with suggested taking out my aggresive anger tantrums on a stack of phone books using a rubber hose. I never went as far as finding a rubber hose to do it, but improvised and used a plastic flip flop and beat the heck out of the phone books with it. It was also suggested to talk to the phone books and tell them all my frustrations. What a sight I must have been the couple or three times that I actually tried doing this. She also suggested throwing Horse Shoes as a way to relieve stress.

As for yesterdays chucking...let's say that once again I improvised and when I was potting up some houseplants, I used up quite a few of the colored marbles that I have amassed over the years when I ran out of gravel I had been using on the bottom of the pots. That got rid of a few small things in the room I am still dealing with. Slowly but surely the room is coming along. Most of the things that still need to be chucked or find new homes are too heavy or bulky for me to lift and I am waiting until my household help, the dear hubby has a few minutes to take care of them.

Been nice cool weather here yesterday and today. Feels good to have all the doors and windows open for a change.

You ladies all have a great day or evening, whatever the case may be.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8800092

I just realized I take my frustration out by kicking or throwing something at my reclining chair. "Take that, Laz-e-Boy!"

Got rid of the month's magazines at the library. Put 2 ratty old t-shirts on the "out" pile.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 9, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8800132

LOL, huck. Poor chair.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 9, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8800799

I removed 6 pairs of pants from my closet that I will never get back into. Going to Goodwill.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8803048

Atta gal, Sharon!

I went thru the mug o' pens and pencils and got rid of all the troublemakers.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 13, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8806952

Hey Huck, I have several containers of ink pens sitting around in different places too. I did chuck one pen yesterday that was evidently out of ink. That is the extent of my chucking for now though. Keep up the good work all.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8810130

Hey, Margaret, I think we need another 'continuation thread' for our chucks!

Good for you pen and pencils chuckers. In pondering why I keep barely funtional ones I discovered a subconcious fear of throwing them out because they in variably poke holes in my plastic trash bags! Am lining my "office" trash can with a paper grocery bag now.

Huck, love the Lazeboy story and Ruby, any time our adrenelin flows we "fight or flight" in response. Both are large muscle activities. Thats why I enjoyed pitching, tossing, pushing, shoving, cramming.kicking, hauling. pulling, ripping, scattering, upending, etc, etc, ...during a major cleanup or two. Very freeing emotionally and physically for this good girl/lady wannabe! Destruction is part of the process of creating and putting things right, but there is such a taboo against such hearty endeavors and actions. Yeah, "serenity to accept the things we cannot change" is only one third of the prayer!

Sharon, always good to he4ar your doins.

Today I chucked 378 unread emails I found in an old account. Instant gratification. Sweet.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 16, 2011
9:12 PM

Post #8811768

wow,378! I love the delete button too.

deleted a pair of hilariously baggy pajama bottoms. ah, that felt good!

before i forget (again), i love that quote from Emerson (August 8 2011)

Thanks, Handbright!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

September 16, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8811807

Well done, one and all.

I also love the delete button and am in the process of going through tens of thousands of images os ospreys. So far I have deleted over 5000.

Here's a link to the new thread. Come on over and join in. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8811810

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011 12:07 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America