Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Deciphering seed pack language

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Looking at some perennial seed packs I see the phrase " blooms first year from seed if started early."
Is that assuming a start in early spring indoors? Would winter sowing be considered "early". Sorry for such a basic question, but the descriptor does not specify if started early indoors or outside.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

What are you trying to grow?

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I have seen that on a number of items particularly some double bloom hollyhocks.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Based on what I am reading on google.com, it sounds as if you can scatter/plant them in the fall for summer blooms. They self-seed readily.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Holly Hocks are Bi-Annuals. I did have one last year that did bloom first year.
Generally, you get foliage the first year, second year you get blooms, but seeds fall to the ground and will germinate pretty quickly... those will bloom the next year... so once you have them blooming, you should have them every year after that.

Here are some HH seedlings, with a visitor that hung out most the season.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

How cute! That reminds me that I need to put some pots to work as toad houses' this year!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

For the past 2-3 yrs, I've had one that lives in my WS jugs... ya figure, they are usually damp. they're so cute.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.