Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Easy Succulents- the Jade Plants: beware: crassula ovata topples over!

Communities > Forums > Article: Easy Succulents- the Jade Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Easy Succulents- the Jade PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annlof
Camarillo, CA

February 4, 2011
2:49 AM

Post #8352594

Here in coastal Southern California, a jade tree can survive on rainfall (usually about fifteen inches a year) if summers are cool. I've had great success and disappointment with this plant. The plants grow so thick and tall that they become too heavy for the trunks to support. While the trunks seem to be woody on the outside, a cross-section reveals that they're just water like the rest of the plant. High winds have toppled about half a dozen of my jade trees in as many years, usually after they reach about four feet in height. If left in place, the fallen branches will eventually root and form new plants if supplemental water is provided, but in the meantime they look awful...

This fall I experimented with thinning about 30-40 percent of the foliage. Boy, a garbage bagful of jade-tree leaves is heavy -- all the stored water, I suppose. We had a very strong Santa Ana wind last week which took down some trees in the neighborhood, but the pruned jade trees made it!

Really, this is a great plant. A friend of mine in Ventura actually constructed wooden armatures over his jade trees when they were about two feet tall. The plants grew up through the armatures and completely hid them with lush growth. They are securely staked, but no one would know it.

Thanks, Palmbob, for another great article.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8353090

thanks for the suggestions

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Easy Succulents- the Jade Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article - I love these plants too! Kaelkitty 1 Apr 12, 2009 2:44 PM
Nice article Pugzley 2 Jun 6, 2009 8:36 PM
Red Flowered Crassula ovata fc_upland 0 Apr 13, 2009 12:25 PM
Jades Doe41 2 Apr 18, 2009 2:58 PM
Water? When? audreed 1 Apr 21, 2009 3:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America