Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: Poppy Seeds Sown in Ice Cubes, others?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 3, Views: 129
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8353212

I'm sowing a lot of poppy seeds this year- I have some WS in jugs, some direct on ground, and I would like to try some in ice cubes. I've done some web searching to see if any other flower seeds can be sown in ice cubes. So far I have seen references to carrots, and that is about it. Has anyone tried using the ice-cube method with other flower seeds?

CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 7, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8359744

I keep that idea in the back of my mind in case it warms up, and I have not seeded things like poppy seeds which need moist and cool germination conditions. I suppose it is a little like the seed tapes,--- in that you can space the seeds out, and not seed them in clumps. And perhaps the seeds are protected from birds?

We have snow still, so it makes no sense to do it right now as we can seed onto the snow and get the cool,moist conditions for poppy seeds.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8359877

Okay, Caroline, are you saying that one can broadcast their poppy seeds in the snow and they'll germinate when it gets warm enough? The seeds inside an ice cube makes sense to me..the ice cube would protect it from the birds(I think)and the squirrels and chipmunks..but what if a warming trend comes along and melts that ice cube. Will the seed sink into the garden soil and germinate that way?
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8361396

I have read a lot of posts and articles that say to spread poppies right on top of the snow and let them melt/sink into place. Germination should happen when the time is right. I think the ice cube acts much like the cycle of freeze and thaw that would have happened had I sowed in the fall. There is a great article on sowing poppies somewhere here on DG that I can never find when I want to. It's by another Marylander, I think! Or maybe a Virginian. Either way, someone not too far from Silver Spring.

I did find reference, in searching another forum, to someone who claims to have great success putting Morning Glory seeds in ice cubes. They were tired of nicking them. I may just try that for grins. As my farmer's market store is running out in my freezer I do need to fill it with something!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America