-
AuthorContent
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8353978

Maybe this is old stuff for you guys but we saw fox last night trying to get to the rabbit that lives under a large bush in our front yard. I watched him for about an hour but I do not think he ever actually caught her. We are in a suburb of Chicago, the houses are close together, and there is almost constant traffic of cars down our street. Each car that went buy he flung himself down to ground and hid behind the 2 feet of snow we have been blessed with. He would jump up about 18 inches and then pounce with all his weight on his two front paws to break the snow on this bush. . He dug three tunnels (it is a large bush) and when he went in, he very often came out flying. I loved watching him and hope he will come back some day. No, I did not get any pictures because it was too dark and if I used a flash he would certainly have left quickly.
Just had to tell someone !!!
mableruth
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

February 7, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8360187

It is amazing how close they will come in with houses all around. You are lucky to have seen him. If you are so inclined, a little catfood under the bush may help him through the winter. All this snow has made hunting tough and brought him in. We actually had one live under our deck all winter. I stopped the food as soon as the snow went down and he left quickly.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8360308

How neat to see them! I saw tracks for years before I finally saw our "neighborhood" fox.
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8361401

Isn't it wonderful to see them? I think they are a joy to observe. Lucky you!

I've taken many pictures of foxes, and most of them after dark with a flash. They were aware of my presence though, for a long time, as I always talked to them when we were in close proximity. Also, I am very rural, so they likely have fewer concerns than they might in town. I'm very fortunate, and even see them in daytime now and then when I'm birdwatching down on the creek bank.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8366979

So nice you were able to see it in action. Hope you get other opportunity to take a picture.
I have one hanging in the area. I've seen it in my yard a few time at night. A neighbor
has seen it often, on our property, in the early morning, and has told DH about it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Wildlife Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Doing the Bunny Leap Bloomer 5 Apr 6, 2012 10:46 AM
The nicest thing happened in the local Walmart in their greenhouse.............. Merry_Sunshine 2 Apr 6, 2012 10:44 AM
Black Panther at pond BittysGarden 3 Apr 6, 2012 10:56 AM
BIG cat incident lantana 7 May 16, 2012 7:21 PM
I'm A Moose Matador Weezingreens 166 Feb 6, 2014 5:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America