Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Propagating azelia

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 4, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8354860

A co-worker rescued an indoor azelia that someone had gotten as a gift and was going to throw away. She stuck it on a sunny windowsill at work, and that thing hasn't stopped flowering it's wonderful striped pink and white flowers for TWO YEARS straight!! I had to have one of my own, so she let me take a bunch of tip cuttings. I dipped them in rooting hormone, and now have them under little plastic-wrap-and-bamboo "greenhouses" on windowsills. Has anyone ever tried to propigate azelias? I understand that they're fairly easy to do outside, just bend a branch into the ground and in a year or so you have another plant. Anyone ever tried to do indoor propagating? This plant is soooo gorgeous, I'm not sure it could even go outside and survive the New England winters.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8355196

Many florist azaleas cannot withstand the winter temperatures in New England so it is wise to grow them in pots outside and bring them into a protected area during winter.

Here is more information on the subject: http://www.azaleas.org/azpropagate.html#cut and here is more information on indoor growing (also follow the link "indoor azalea care"): http://www.azaleas.org/faq.html#flo
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8355523

WOW! Perfect, thanks so much! The lovely people on Dave's always come through...
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8363670

Very often azaleas sold at Home Depot are small potted plants which have 3-4 small rooted cuttings growing together in the pot of a peat moss mixture. Look at the base of the plant and see if there are 3-4 seperate stems at the soil line. If there are seperate stems, and your friend will let you, you cen gently separate one of the stems and its roots and instantly have another instant plant without going thru the rooted cutting bother.
Its worth try
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8363914

This had been formed by twisting three seperate plants into a column, taking off all but the topmost branches, and then the top was trimmed into a round topiary. No base sprouts have formed at all. Very pretty when it was first here, but the thing is almost 2 feet tall now, and the three twisted trunks are shriveling. Looks so sad on the office window sill, but it's still flowering! I figure the variety is more than worth keeping. Here's a picture of my new babies. I clipped off some green tips, dipped them in rooting hormone, and then put them in potting soil and created a little green house for each pot. It LOOKS like a few are getting new leaves, so I'm hopeful. I have another couple of pots at work to hedge my bet.

Thumbnail by drumlin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America