Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Fuchsias: Help! Fuschsias sprouting in crawl space..trim?

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 6, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8355451

We pulled our fuchsia out of the crawl space and they have put out long pale sprouts,searching for light.Should I trim these back? I plan to put them in a portable greenhouse on my deck in about a month,but even if they green up with the additional of light they are too long.Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by golgi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8410337

I was hoping someone with experience in overwintering fuchsias and other plants in dark cold places like yours, would respond and help you out. How are they doing? What did you decide to do? I hope you let us know, so others who follow can learn from your experience.
golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8412873

Well,I trimmed them back,and put them in a portable greenhouse on my deck.Lost about half in the crawl space,which is about par for the course in my experience.The ones that survived are doing great.I heat the greenhouse with two portable heaters.

Thumbnail by golgi

golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8412896

Here are a few pics of fuchsia I grew from little cuttings last september.I rotate them in and out of the house to provide color in these dreary months
Deep Purple

Thumbnail by golgi

golgi
Willoughby, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8412904

Display

Thumbnail by golgi

PedricksCorner
Freedom, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8413156

Wow! Great job! Those look like very happy healthy plants! I am so glad you posted, we need more info from people like you who are getting fuchsias through rough winter areas. I have a small 'Display', it is new to my collection. I have yet to see it bloom, but now I know what to look forward to. I remember it from years ago, but I haven't seen it in person in many, many moons...:-)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8438449

Hi, It is best to cut off the white branches that grow over the winter. They would eventually green-up but it takes strength away from more new growth.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America