Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Needle Arts: Punch Needle anyone????

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 13, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8355493

Does anyone here do any punch needle. I have just started it and I am hooked or should I say punch drunk. Heheh
I love it. It is so much fun and fun to design you own patterns too. When I finish my second one I will show you. This was my very first one and it turned out okay but just wasn't my choice of subject matter.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8355504

I did start this one but I wasn't happy with it so I am working on another one. This is the back side but I didn't like the way it was going.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8550507

Hi, Gourdbeader. I'm doing punchneedle, too. Your first effort looks pretty dandy to me!
Are you using the Russian punchneedle or the Ultrapunch? I have to go stick some plants in the ground (now that it isn't raining, as it has been for the last 6 weeks). I'll take some pictures of some of my stuff & post it later. My biggest problem is finding a good use for the stuff I make, LOL. I've been thinking of moving up the ladder and doing punched rugs.
Pat (aka Goshsmom)
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8553006

Oh my gosh, I am so glad that you said that. I have been doing alot of punch needle work and that is one of my biggest problem too. Trying to figure out a use for them. I have a punch needle blog called
punchdrunckneedlework.blogspot.com
check it out. I have found a few Ideas for some of my pieces.
I also bought stuff to do a punch hook rug. Now I just need to get this last piece done then I plan on doing a punch hook rug. Great tutorial is this youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCVaRxyQ-jo
Maybe we can work through this together.
thanks for replying.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8553873

Oh, dear, now I'm embarrassed because I can't FIND my completed punchneedle pieces!I went through my pattern kits & found ones that I remembered doing-- and then making into a button for a CHristmas gift, or a little plaque for a housewarming or--- you get the idea. I know I still have some left somewhere, & I'll look around for them.
I've been fairly content so far make up the kits. I either order them from SIlver Needle, or get them here in Cincinnati from the Christmas Craft show at Winterfair, where the Weavers Guild always has a huge display and sale of hooking stuff. What sorts of fibers are you using? Do you like your punchneedle?Having started with the Cameo, I find it impossible to switch to try any others.
Punchneedle, needlepoint, and some cross stitch are the only crafty things I do. I come from a family of knitters. My mother knit until her deathbed, and even then, we buried her with her favorite needles & a lovely ball of gray wool. I would like to knit-- I think-- but it's not happening! I'll stick with the other stuff.
The needlepoint certainly gave me an introduction to the glories of color and fiber. I'd love to try mixing in some floche or perle cotton into the punchneedle.
OK, I'm rattling on. Bye for now,
Pat
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8554450

I am using the Igolocikoy Russian punch needle. I love it and it slips through the fabrics easily. Its light weight but sturdy. I comes in three sizes, 1 strand, 3 strands, 6 strands. I use the 3 strand one mostly. I use a lot of Valdani thread and I also use crochet cotton thread and if I feel real energetic I use some of my huge selection of embroidery floss but its a pain separating it. I could use the 6 strand needle but that uses a lot of floss.
I use linen or different weaves of fabric that hold the thread that I am working with.
Did you get a chance to look at my blog. It shows several of my past projects. Just click on the link below.
http://punchdrunkneedleworks.blogspot.com

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8554572

Jan I know this is off subject but did you finish the Xstitch house you were designing? Just curious. Loved the blog...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8555240

LOL, no, it is still on the frame and I got so involved with the punch needle that I haven't done any thing else. I am hooked so to speak. Funny you should mention that as I was looking at it just this morning when I went up stair to straighten up the guest room after my daughters visit. I usually get things done that i start but I am really into the punch needle right now. heheh That is so funny. Is this the one you are talking about?

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8556570

Jan,
Your stuff is awesome! And Gorgeous! And Wonderful! And now I'm more than little envious of your talents, LOL. Your color blending is incredible. I've been checking out the links, too. I love the fiber place in Alberta-- Yaldani, I think. Thanks for the info!
Pat
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8556829

goshsmom,
The best place to get your thread is here.

http://www.countrystitchesonline.com/

They are great and very nice people and have some awesome patterns too.
They are also closer and shipping is less unless you are in Canada.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8557400

That's the project I was talking about Jan. I reminds me so much of Salem Mass and the Witch House and the House of Seven Gables. Hope you finish it my friend but I sure do understand the passion of a new craft!!!! I get like that myself too...
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8557515

thanks for the encouragement. I may just finish it for Haloween heheh

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8557596

Sounds like a new swap to me!!!! Loved it last year.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8557630

Definitely, I will give it some thought. hehe

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America