AuthorContent
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 5, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8355812

We came from this long thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1137808/#new

I've learned that a doll quilt can take just as long to piece as a bed-sized quilt.

I've learned that of all the ways I know to make flying geese, Eleanor Burns' method is still my favorite and paper-piecing has become an instant non-favorite! Ohmigosh, I thought I would lose my mind!

But, when you're doing pieces this small, the paper piecing really is precise and neat, so I'm doing some more of them because even though this quilt is only about 17-18", it's way too big for the doll it's intended for. I'm about halfway done with piecing the geese for the second quilt.

It took more than two days to piece the first one - the second one is going faster, thank heavens! :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8355836

I learned I wont be making another 'darting bird' ;-o

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8356027

cute quilt! I tried doing a 1" square mini, pretty much laughed the whole time...just how big are those geese sections anyway? my gosh, if the whole thing is about 18", those sections are about 1.5 x 3.5???? I'd have to get one of those Dexter Poindexter type magnifying globes... LOL and a couple bottles of Zinfandel...
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 5, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8356252

GG, what in the world is a darting bird?

Kizmo, yep, about all you can do is laugh. Or cry, but laughing is better. The geese are 1" X 2" - the first foundations I made were 1½" X 3/4"! Now that *would* have been a laugh. ;)

The Zin wouldn't do much for precision but... who cares? ;)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8356694

I learned you can't so S-in-D or Cross hatch when the seams don't match up exactly. Loaded one of the charity quilts and w/out close inspection it looked good. Because the vertical sashing was wide & a dk blue print & the rest of the quilt was 8" churn dash blocks of different white prints, was just going to quilt the horizontal & vert seams. Luckily I looked closer before I started quilting and noticed the pieces just did not match up well.
So the churn dash strips were quilted w/ swirls & stars and the blue sashing is so far just outlined w/ S-in-D.

Nothing is ever as easy as it 1st appears, especially when you are in a time crunch.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8356972

Quilter_gal --- this is a darting bird
http://quilterscache.com/D/DartingBirdBlock.html
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 6, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8356973

[quote="Qwilter"]Nothing is ever as easy as it 1st appears, especially when you are in a time crunch.[/quote]

Words to live by, those! ;)

An unofficial corollary is that when you're just dinkin around, everything will go smoothly and quickly.

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 6, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8356979

[quote="Quilter5bdsr"]Quilter_gal --- this is a darting bird
http://quilterscache.com/D/DartingBirdBlock.html [/quote]

Ohmigosh! HST's! Quick, everyone down to the shelter!

This message was edited Feb 6, 2011 9:31 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8356986

With all the ice you are getting down there, the shelter is the only place to be!!!!! We got some last night too. Could have been a lot worse but on top of all the snow it's a pain in the butt...
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8356992

That bird looks like a breeze, probably is, but it has given me a fit...fitting.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8357040

The easiest way I know when I 'm only making one block like this, is to cut the pieces 1/4" bigger, sew the halfs together and then cut down to size. That way they are all the same and should go together easily...
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 6, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8357164

It doesn't look like a breeze to me! I just did a Kansas Troubles block for Barbara Brackman's Civil War commemorative last week and I will have to do it again if I don't want to chop the points off when I set it.

I think Barb's right - from now on, I'm going to make the sewn HST squares about a quarter inch too big and trim it down. More work - but less than having to make the whole darn thing over again.

That Zin idea is growing on me, too. And I don't even drink. Yet.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8357452

That bird is a Bears Paw turned around!!!!
I always make my squares for a HST a bit larger then what the directions call for. THat way I can trim them to be "exact".

I had to open my sun roof to cool the car down this afternoon. Temps in the mid-40s & not a cloud to be seen. Was @70 inside the car.
Went to JoAnn's for thread & came home with a yellow tulip & fern wreath for the front door & w potted tulips - red & yellow. Now I can put the poinsetta away & still have color on the front porch.
I did remember to get thread!!!!!
Tomorrow will also be nice then snow on Thur.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8358730

Whatever it is...I just gave the bird...'the bird'. Ill start over when Im done with the rest of the blocks. Ive ripped the seams one time to many and its just a frayed mess.

No bears paws in my future either I guess.
Even if you have the matching down...Its 36 little squares, not to mention aolt of those are hst. That is ALOT of seams to get pressed the right way, and then matched and snuggled for sewing together.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8358740

You an make bigger birds. So just a 9-patch so the pieces will be larger. Each square/HST would finish 4" instead of 2'.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8359347

just thought this was cute:

Thumbnail by Kizmo

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8359404

Perfect for our area, Kathy.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8359413

That works here too!!!! Really cute...

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8360031

very cute! will work here too.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 7, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8360142

GG, that's a lotta darn squares. It sure is a pretty block though. Is this in a sampler you're doing? Or a BOM, maybe?

Kizmo, that's just plain cute! I was ready for that sign a few days ago, but today, you can't tell that we were so snow-y and icy around here.

I'm putting the binding on the second doll blanket. I love the look of miniatures, but I sure never would have guessed that they take so long to make. At least putting the binding on will be quick. A couple of hours, tops - one good old movie from the 40's and it'll be done. :)
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 13, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8369667

I found out that heavy quilting is probably not the way to go with a doll quilt. Live and learn, eh?

But, it's cheerful and bright and looks good with a baby doll. :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 13, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8369670

This is a little 9" doll I re-borned because it looks just like one of my sisters when she was a baby. (It's a Peanut kit from Pat Moulton.)

I made the doll and clothing a couple of years ago and she's just been sitting here waiting for me to get her mailed. My sister will be so surprised to see it, finally. :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8369673

OMG that looks like a real baby!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8369882

WOW - it fooled me too. I thought that was a photo of your sister!!!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

February 13, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8370135

Looks soooo real. Amazing work on the quilt.Your sister will love it I am sure.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8370368

Beautiful work Elizabeth, I used to make porcelain dolls and dress them, Some times I miss it.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8371371

WOW !!!
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 15, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8373356

Thank you, gals! I emailed pictures of the doll to my mother and she was amazed at how much it resembled my sister. I hope my sister likes it.

I'm working on my second Texas quilt, today - it's the fastest quilting I've ever done, I think. Fabulous how fast a quilt fills up when you're just making big spirals all over it.

The last Texas theme quilt I made was a king-size and I made it specifically to practice feather designs - I don't remember how long it took to make all those feathers, but two hours into the quilting, I probably had four or five motifs out of fifty finished. Two hours into this one and I'm half done with this full sized bed quilt! Yippee!!!! I might even get the borders on it by tonight!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8373482

Elizabeth, post pictures when you can please?
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 16, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8375688

I've learned that they should call it, "Criss-crossing the ditch," or "Running away from the ditch" or "Stitch somewhere in the vicinity of the ditch..."

The next time someone says that they just did SITD, I'm going to say, "What do you mean *just?* SITD is hard!!!!!"

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8375760

So true, so true, Elizabeth. That's why I switched to a serpentine stitch as that was basically what I was doing anyhow...well not quite as neat and even.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 16, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8375952

Okay, that's it... I'm bringing in the "quilting words" for this one!

Mizzenfritzenpuppenschnicken... %$*@#!!!!!!! There, I feel better... *g*

Every time I try to do SITD, I end up wishing I never heard the word, "quilt." And this was just a little bit of it - six seams.

And now, I'm apparently incapable of keeping the FMQ part inside the lines, too.

Ah well... I'm almost done, I'm almost done, I'm almost done... done in. ;)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8376020

I'm telling you...serpentine...serpentine...serpentine.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 16, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8376107

I'm gonna go that route, next time. ;)

Sometimes, it's best to walk away for a while, so I went downstairs and had an unpleasant (smelling) chat with Lady Clairol (gosh, she is such a snob!) and worked on my needle-turn applique and now I'm ready to get the rest of this quilt quilted.

I can do anything when my grey hairs are gone. Heheeeeee!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8379679

SITD is actually one of the hardest type of quilting there is to do!!!

I am with Karen...big time...SERPENTINE !!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8380200

When a customer brings me a quilt and says "oh, SITD is fine" I tell them how much that will cost as compared to an allover meander. They are always amazed. SITD is even more difficult when the pieces don't match up exactly. You can hide that with a meander but not doing straight lines (as the lady is going to find out when I deliver her quilt to her today).

Yesterday I learned it's impossible to stay inside & quilt when it is sunny & 80 outside!!!! Especially when I also knew winter was coming back today and the rest of the month. Cinnamon "helped" me get some leaves & dead plants out of the front flower bed.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8380592

I learned how to play with the embriodery unit for my machine yesterday. Adding that to DD's quilt that I'm planning will be fun.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8380772

What kind of machine jumper? Sounds like fun!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8381381

Designer 1, I have Viking machines. It was fun to learn how to play. DH has ideas for his sister for me to work on.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8382433

I really wish I had serpentine stitch on my machine.

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 20, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8382600

I finally finished the last bit of hand stitching on these quilts a couple of days ago. I'm sick of looking at these fabrics, but I'm happy with how they came out.

The top is my THIRD "Wickedly Easy" from this batch of fabrics, so that's why I'm just done with bluebonnets and Lone Stars and cowboy hats and chili peppers for a while. :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 20, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8382606

The quilt is covered with vines and tendrils all over except for the mottled red border with feathers and the blue background of the star, which is stippled very small in variegated Navy blue.

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 20, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8382612

Last one - this is the Lone Star wallhanging - big feathers in the fields, one outline of the star and a line of fleur de lis up the middle of the starry sky border. The patchwork on the outside is swirls and tendrils, like the bed quilt.

I still have to make some pillowcases, but I signed up for a BOM at my LQS yesterday and I'm running to catch up with 20 Lady of the Lake blocks, today. :)

I've gone insane for Civil War fabrics.

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 20, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8382621

Qwilter, that's exactly why I usually don't even try to SITD - my piecing is bad enough, but the piecing on many of these vintage quilts I've bought lately is even scarier than mine. An allover design camoflages so much!

But, I really like to outline the borders - I saw a comparison on someone's blog that showed the difference between borders with SITD to anchor them before FMQ and borders without and ohmigosh, it was incredible! Needing every little bit of help that I can get to make my quilts look more professional, I keep trying it. And I keep cussin' it, too! LOL!

Psych, you don't have to have a serpentine - just wander back and forth a very little bit across the ditch - it's a lot easier to wave than go straight. Although Murphy's law may come into play and as soon as you start trying to wave, you'll get the purtiest, straightest SITD ever! :D

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8382655

Elizabeth, my dad would have loved this. He moved to Dallas area after my mom died to live with my sister. Didn't take him long to become a full-fledged Texan. He only had a year more but he sure made the most of it.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8382698

I learned that my DH (kenboy) is really serious about his new quilting habit. He has Moodene here to help him learn everything from machine, to iron, to other tools of the trade :~)

Thumbnail by maggidew

maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8382707

I shopped online for cutting mats, rounded up all my rotary cutters and other tools and he is now taking flight

Thumbnail by maggidew

maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8382722

He's chosen a Bird of Paradise pattern, although he is not paper piecing it as the instructions suggest. He wants to find 2 more pieces of fabric for his final design that will include bands of gold and green along with the BoP blocks.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2011 4:27 PM

Thumbnail by maggidew

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8382728

VERY nice Maggie!! Tell Kenboy he has a good eye!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8382796

Yesterday we went on a trip for GDO to some quilt shops in Ormond Beach and Palm Coast/Bunnell. Couldn't resist getting some neat fabrics to make a purse for my grand daughter who turns 16 this year. The first shop Bryd's Nest had a lot of really nice books and patterns. I took pictures of some of their made up samples. She demonstrated a neat new tool that made Diamond cutouts. She applied it to a purse and decorative strip on an embroidered towel. Very nice.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
1:47 PM

Post #8382801

Dottie bought this tool. It has two sizes. Here's the embellished towel.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8382806

She had a lot of patterns for placemats, and you know we are in placemat mode so I had to take pictures of these two. One makes a rounded placemat for people who have round tables. The other has a pocket to hold the silverware and napkin.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8382813

Interesting choice of fabrics here. She also had a half apron that matched this one.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8382819

So many cute purses and totes. Had to take pictures of these as they were embellished with embroidery designs. Love the sea shell appliques that were embellished with embroidery.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8382821

This tote was so cute with the sherbet colors.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8382837

My batteries were running low, mine too. So I had to be more selective. This tool made a spinwheel pattern that I thought would make cute baby quilts so I had to purchase it. It came in a small size and a large size. Dottie bought the large size. We cashed out and went across the street to a really nice restaurant called Peach ??? something??? I had a delicious roast turkey wrap with cranberry and bacon. Delicious. We then headed north to the next shop it was about 20 minutes from the Byrd's Nest shop.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8382842

This is a cute Santa wallhanging made with yoyos. Alas the last picture as my camera quit. We got home about 4 pm, We'd left at 8:30 am, so it was a full FUN day. We always have a good time on our Girls Day Out!

Thumbnail by mittsy

Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8382846

love the last one! that's the colors of my stars in the FB star swap. Do you know the border fabric name?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8382856

Forgot to say I love Kenboys choice of colors, beautiful.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8382871

I emailed Kathy Byrd and asked her the name and manufacturer. Here's her web page

http://byrdsnestquiltshop.danemcoweb.com
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

February 20, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8382935

I just love the Santa.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8383323

Hey Maggie, thanks for showing us what Ken is working on, can't wait to see his work. But please tell us he is not giving up on brugs?
Mittsy, looks like you had a great day!

This message was edited Feb 20, 2011 8:55 PM
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8383691

LOL! I got up this morning and kenboy is sewing in his birthday suit! Too bad I can't take a pic of that.

Nah taters, he's still got tons of brugs, he's just 'branching out'

:~)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8383751

LOL! Ken in his birthday suit? LOL! That is something I have never done. In my jammies maybe...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8383775

Oooooh careful with the thread nippers.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8386429

very nice quilt and wall hanging Elizabeth !!! love the quilting...
quilting in birthday suit...that is a scary thought!!!! like the fabrics tho!! LOL Maybe he needs to make a bathrobe first...LOL

Mittsy, diamond cut outs look nifty...show us what Dottie does... neat Idea to round one side of place mat!!!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8386770

She's going to make it part of a tote bag for her daughter. Their sump pump stuck and their finished basement in Maine house was flooded. Daughter went over and hired a dumpster, had the basement stripped and had a new sump pump put in. Dottie was so pleased she is making the purse as a special Thank You to daughter.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8387314

I learned when a block has 7/8" as a mearurement, it's easier to use the next 1/8" up.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

February 22, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8387420

Amen! Those 7/8" thingies drive me crazy! :)

I bought Triangulations 3.0 - that's the handiest doodad in the world for HST's and QST's. Perfect, perfect, beautiful HST's so far and no darn math or squinting to find the 1/8" markings on my ruler! ;)
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8388162

Ain't it the truth!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8391845

WINTER or Christmas swap: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160696/

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8391944

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160297/

T-Shirt quilt instructions, come play

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8508545

Whew! had to search a ways back to find this thread.
Eight years ago I bought a Rowenta Steam generator type iron and fell immediately in love.
Yesterday it died. I must say I think part of the blame is mine, it's supposed to be cleaned about every 10 uses. Since I use it on a daily basis, I know I was lax in the cleaning dept. Usually thinking to do it when the iron seemed a bit sluggish.
It did spoil me for using a regular iron. Not just me, but my sister and aunt went right out and got one after using mine.
After a brief mourning period I went to Joann's and got another one. The first I bought was $230. from an online source, so I thought Joann's price of $199. was decent even though they do not accept coupons on irons. Sanity returned and I searched online last night. I found the exact same iron..now called a Rowenta Pressure Iron and Steamer on Amazon.com. Now I have to return the one I got from Joann's as Amazon's price beat them all hollow. $149. with free 2 day shipping. (and no tax) a savings of $62.00. It won't be easy but I can go without for 2 days with a savings like that.
I don't know how many of you use this type of iron, but for me it is not a luxury item. The difference in pressing is amazing, in addition this new one also works as an upright steamer for clothing or drapes, etc.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8508559

I just looked at a mini Rowenta steam iron used for taking to classes etc. It was $52.00. I will now go on line and see if I can find one. I've heard such great things about Rowenta but have never gone there before. Now I'm really glad I read your post Karen!!!!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8508582

LOL! About the only thing I iron are quilt blocks!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8508601

Me too LK but I want them to be the best I can make them.. The only iron I have is one at least 12 years old and it is on it's last leg now!!!! I also now need to iron Norm's shirts for work. They are uniform shirts and he likes them pressed with a crease on the sleeve. Small request from one who does so much for me...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8508645

I do like to iron my shirts even the knits. This steam generator makes such quick work of it.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

April 20, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8508668

I go through irons about every 6 months. I burned up the Rowenta at about 8 months. Now I use the black and decker irons last a little longer for me and the only thing I iron is quilt blocks and quilt fabric. I am really hard on them I guess.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

April 20, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8508747

I love my Shark, but it can't be used as a standalone steamer like that Rowenta. I go through irons pretty fast - even my expensive Oreck lasted less than 2 years, with all the pressing I do. :( I don't mind it so much when the iron costs $40.

I've read in a lot of reviews that you need to find the Rowentas that are made in Europe, and stay away from the ones made in Asia. Apparently, the Chinese-made Rowentas spit and splutter and burn out - the ones made in (I think) Germany are spit-free and last a long time.

The particular one that you want might be one of those models that are *only* made in Germany, which would make it easier to find the good quality. :)

housse301
Lexington Park, MD

April 20, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8508750

That is what mine did spit and sputter.Did not know to look for where it was made. I will keep that in mind if I purchase another. Thank you

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8508845

Thanks, I will certainly look for that issue as soon as mine arrives.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8512130

I read all the comments at the Amazon site, They seemed to be the same issues listed here. My iron came today. First thing I did was read the manual carefully. The same issues were addressed in the manual, along with the proper usage procedure to avoid the problems. It does take a bit longer to heat up than my old one did. However, I am used to turning my iron on a bit before I need it so that part wasn't a problem. Once fully heated, I used it to press my bed skirt which I had starched earlier in anticipation. It did say to first press the steam button over a towel to allow any cool water in the hose to come out. I did that and then proceeded to press the bed skirt with no sputtering and a ton of steam. So we shall see. I now also realize that my previous iron was a step up from this one but if it continues as it has begun, I shall be well satisfied. If I do run into problems at a later date, I will post here.
I did see on Amazon that the iron I got was made in China. However, the higher model Which is more than $100. more did not state country of manufacture.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8530361

came across this today - so poignent

Life is like a patchwork quilt
And each little patch is a day,
Some patches are happy, rosy & bright,
And some are dark & gray.
But each little patch as it’s fitted in
And sewn to keep it together,
Makes a finished block in this life of ours
Filled with sun, and with rainy weather.
So let me work on Life’s patchwork quilt
Through the rainy days & the sun –
Trusting that when I have finished my block,
The Master may say: “Well Done”.
Elizabeth Ryan De Coursey

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8530646

Helene - that is just lovely. What a wonderful thought. Thank you...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8530731

Hummmmmmmmm... maybe I should choose different colors?? LOL... for the last few swaps I've gone with Black/white & pink!!! Maybe THAT explains life lately!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8530796

Helene, Thank you so much for the poem, I'm Sunshine chairperson for a local quilt group and I'm going to include it with the cards I send out to members. I have some nice parchment paper that I'll print it on.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8531016

Mine's a crazy quilt. LOL
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8542512

I learned that when you go into a sewing center to look at their sewing machines, they don't have the one you wanted to look at, but will show you one you like lots but is 2x your original budget.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8542635

hehehe YEP! While your cheaper one is on order they might even LOAN you the expensive one to use!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8542647

Nicole, it's the same way at a car dealership... LOL
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8542651

I learned that when you have a day off tomorrow for dental surgery, don't count on the day ending smoothly :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8542742

Oh, good luck at the dentist tomorrow Sondra!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8543779

Sondra, hope your dental visit was okay.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8544389

it went pretty good. the tooth came out fairly easy except 2 pieces of the root broke off and it took a while to get those out. I was numb clear up to my eyelid on the left side. If that's what botox feels like I'll never try it. I feel sort of foggy headed but that probably the Lortabs. How in the world do people handle it when they have to go in to get all their teeth pulled? from now on I'm going to be a dental hygeine fanatic.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8544484

Glad your dentist visit went . . . ok-ish? . . . Sondra. I finally went to the dentist about 2 months ago, and they told me all the things wrong with my mouth. I turned into a dental hygiene fanatic afterwards, too . . . I have yet to get anything fixed, 'cause I have to wait for the new benefit year to start in July.

On the sewing machine side . . . I've been looking online for the machine I had in mind, and also the one that the lady showed me yesterday at the sewing center. With me not working, I can't justify a $450.00 machine. I need to stay in the $150.00 - $200.00 range. The Brother cs6000i has all the things I'd like to use - a good variety of feet, too, so I wouldn't have to buy extras. During my browsing, googling, etc., I found another Brother machine that is higher up than the cs6000i, but still within my range. I'll keep an eye on the auctions on ebay and see if I can't get a good deal there, too.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8545386

I am looking for an antique treadle sewing machine and stopped at a large "goodwill" here in Sarasota. They had a few Sewing machines there...this is perhaps a way to go

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8545504

Nichole, I have that cs6000i brother..it is a great machine...I ordered mine thru wal-mart . com , at the time the price there was about $50.00 less than anywhere else I could find it...

I also have a Viking which I love...funny thing with the machines...I ordered the brother...not knowing my DH was making payments on the viking at the local sewing center...the brother actually has some stitches that I like, that the viking does not have...sew I use them both... ^_^
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8545521

Yay! Someone I "know" uses it and likes it . . . that makes me feel alot better about my choice!
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 7, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8545560

I love that little Brother too. I bought it about five years ago and although I use it infrequently, I just bought a case for it so I can take it to classes and such.

It will handle medium and light chores just fine - I wouldn't want to make a pair of heavy duck coveralls on it - I don't think it would do very well at seam crossings. But it sews through a lot thicker stuff than I would have expected it to and it should be fine for just about anything you want to make. I made my husband some white Aviator shirts and it never even slowed down for the heavy work - sewing the collar to the stand, etc. You'll love it! :)

I think Walmart.com still has the best price and the last time I looked, you got an extra darning foot, even feed foot, 1/4" foot and a hard plastic carrying case with it. :)
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8545569

I checked at the Walmart close to me, and they didn't have it anymore. I'll have to check the other Walmarts in the area to see if they still have it. I'm still going to keep an eye on eBay though . . . 'cause if the african violets I have listed all sell, then I could turn around and use those funds for the machine.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8545765

I just learned that Walmart.com accepts paypal payments! ^_^
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2011
12:38 PM

Post #8545978

Oh no! Now I might get into serious trouble!!
Thanks for the info.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 7, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8546162

This particular machine is only available at Walmart.com, not any of the local stores. :)

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8546176

That's what it seems to be now . . . I first saw it at one of the local stores about two months ago . . . but that must have been one of the last. At least I can have it sent to the local store for pickup, and not have to pay shipping.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8546533

that is how I got mine Nichole...some stores may have it...but none near me did...
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 13, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8560549

I've learned that using the "Tri-Recs" ruler to make triangle-in-a-square blocks would have been much easier and more precise if I'd cut the patches 1/4" larger than I actually needed and trimmed the finished squares.

I ended up with so many cut off points and floating points that I'm going to name this quilt "Pointless Scrap Exercise." The blocks are still beautiful though, thanks to a bazillion really beautiful prints. I'm just not going to look too carefully at the star points. Who says stars have to have sharp points, anyway? I'm not the sharpest tack in the drawer either, so my stars just look like me. ;)

The blocks for the center are all done, though so I'm celebrating no matter how wonky my stars are. I could have sworn I heard the Rocky Theme song playing when I got them made. Now just 15 more blocks and I can start putting the rows together. :)

My iron died right in the middle of this - just plonk! - dead all of a sudden. But a couple of months ago, I bought two irons on eBay for $10 each and shipping was free. Once you heat them up and use the steam for a while, they get really hot and they put out ***clouds*** of steam! If anyone else needs a cheap standby or take-to-classes iron, here's where I got it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110687117047

Hope I can post pictures of my completed top by tomorrow night. :) Y'all have a great day!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8560958

I can't wait to see Elizabeth.

I got my Rowenta Pressure Iron and Steamer. All the issues that people seem to have with it are addressed in the instructions. I really wish The water tank was see through but I simply fill the iron each day before I use it. Even with sewing all day and leaving it on the whole time, I have not run out of steam yet. As for the sputtering, I keep a towel on the end of my ironing board (which I had always done before too), if it has been sitting a while I press the towel with steam on full until the hose feels hot..just a few seconds. This seems to have eliminated the sputtering problem entirely.
Do I think it's as perfect as my previous iron..well no but, for the price, I think it's pretty terrific.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8561592

I learned that you cannot play tug o war with a golden retriever with one hand and try to take a picture with the other :)
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8565633

I learned (on Friday) that I have an interview tomorrow. If I can get this job, then I'll definitely be able to get a new machine soon!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8565831

YEA!! Nichole, crossing fingers for you.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8566168

Good luck Nichole!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8566202

Praying you get the job Nichole...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8566233

Keeping everything crossed for you Nichole. Keep us posted?
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8566245

Just tried printing out my resume, but the ink is running out. Will stop at OfficeMax on the way home from taking hubby to work and have it printed out on color paper . . . that way I won't have to do it on my way there.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8566348

Good Luck Nicole! Jobs are hard to come by these days... I posted on another thread, but thought I would repost here also, I found on another site where someone turned an old wooden tv tray into a portable pressing table... good way to re-purpose and a nice size to carry from one room to another!

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2010/01/a-woman-a-plan-an-inexpensive-tv-tray-new-pressing-board.html

Thumbnail by Kizmo

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8566762

that is AWESOME Kiz ^_^ and perfect timing I am in the middle of a wreck...moving my sewing from one room to another...and was thinking...as I lay in bed last night...where am I going to put the ironing board?? you are a life saver !!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8566781

target has single wooden trays in stores...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8566825

Hurray!!! I found a cool, usable solution for someone!!! and an easy one! LOL Not sure how much WM/Target singles are, but if I can't find one to repurpose, I'll have to get a new one. We have a huge indoor flea market here too, that I'll have to visit.

Thanks for the Target suggestion Helene, I haven't been in one of those for a long time!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8567017

I thought the interview went very well . . . which means I probably screwed it up somehow. We shall see! There were two of them in the interview . . . the boss guy asked most of the questions - both of them made notes on each of the answers I gave. Made sure to make eye contact, etc. They say they have a few more interviews (that's what they always say!), but they hope to hire in the next 2 weeks or so.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 16, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8567055

Hope you get the job you want! :)

I just finished putting the top together and aside from some floating points and chopped off points and a few little misses in seam matching, I'm so happy with how it came out.

The picture is missing a few rows because the top is draped over the upstairs railing.

This message was edited May 16, 2011 12:14 PM

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8567056

Fabric .com 15% off when you buy $40.00 use coupon code BOXSTF42 exp. 6-7-11

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8567061

Geezz that is some undertaking. How large are the 9 ptach. Came out beautiful

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8567064

I was just wondering the same thing? The 9 patches look so small!!! I'd go nuts with all the flying geese units!!! Beautiful Job Elizabeth...
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 16, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8567068

That is beautiful, Elizabeth!
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 16, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8567072

Nicole, I'm glad it seemed to go well for you - I'll bet you're relieved to be done!

Helene, I just used that coupon yesterday! LOL! They had some more of the 108" wide backing in Civil War fabrics - one of which I really love - blue scallops from Civil War Tribute. Had to buy more of that - it was only $5.10 a yard by the time the coupon was applied!!!! :)
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 16, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8567089

Yes, the triangle-in-a-square units drove me crazy - next time, I will cut the strips 1/2" wider than the finished squares and trim the blocks to fit.

The squares are 3½", so the 9-patch blocks are made of 1" squares - strips, really because I strip-pieced them.

We had a power outage one day and I pieced most of the 9-patches on a treadle. How lucky I am - never without things to do!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8567135

I want a Singer treadle - just for show - so badddd.
1" Huh that's insane, my opinion, but whatch this change next year.

Go Nichole, hope you get this job. If not perhaps my DD can give some pointers she is VP of Human Resources for Pepperidge Farm. and knows what they are looking for when they hire in different levels
Those coupons are so dangerous and also those $5.00 they send when they are out of something.

"E" I have some Civil War by Faye Burg? but when I looked at what you are making I thought it matches too well what is your frame work (in the seafoam/blue coloration? 3 or 4 in the collection. if you are interested I can send you some when I get back. Travelling tomorrow.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8567189

Wow, so many points, and 1 inch squares! My poor eyes could not do that at all! That is so pretty!
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 16, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8567300

I wish I lived closer to you - I'd give you one of mine. None of mine are really show pieces - I've restored all of them to full functionality, but unfortunately, they're just sitting. They are so much happier when they're sewing - so I'm sad that I don't take them out and use them more. Only one of them is in an easily accessible spot, but it's not my favorite - it's there because it's capable of zig-zag and decorative stitches. Would make a lot more sense to put one of my older gals in there since you don't need zigzag for quilting. That's about all I sew any more - quilts.

I don't have a lot of aquas and blues, but I love them. My LQS has a pretty fair collection, but I think I've bought all the ones they stock. Same with pinks and double-pinks. And purples - so hard to find CW purples!

I'd never be able to buy all the reds and tans and browns because they have millions of those - I think my stash already exceeds my life expectancy as it is. ;)

I used about 180 different fabrics in this quilt - all the fat quarters in my stash, I took a 1½" strip or two off of all the CW and shirtings, and added a bunch of Moda solids and aged muslin for the backgrounds. I put them all together pretty much at random.

I got the Dear Jane software and I'm planning to make a copy of that quilt, but I think I'll wait until after I get the cataracts removed. And I might make the blocks 6½" instead of 4½" - I've gone kind of crazy with these smaller blocks and ready to work on something larger. Unfortunately, the next quilt in the works is made mostly of 3½" blocks, too! I must be some kind of goober. But, at least the patches are already made for that one. "All" I have to do is sew them together. ;)

Can you tell why I might be dragging my feet a bit on this one?

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8567545

OMG Elizabeth. I would be so blind trying to do that!!! Fantastic quilt.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8567600

OMG you are some QUILTER. Envious that is how I like quilts to the binding no shashing.

I'll send pics of the fabric and you can have some of each. Back in June

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8567605

Elizabeth that is soooo loverly. You are much braver than I.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2011
9:22 PM

Post #8570773

Elizabeth...all I can say is WOW !!!!!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

May 18, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8571606

Ok I am stuck. I just love the quilt with the circles. quilter-gal has posted above I have been searching for the pattern . Is there a name or magazine I might find it in????

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8571645

I beleive it is a drunkards path pattern?

http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DrunkardsPathBlock.html

Lots of variatians of it here on google search.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*&q=drunkard's%20path%20quilt%20pattern&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1003&bih=599

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8571805

Laura if you referring the the picture above on 5/16 at 2:12 pm - there are no circles in it. It is your eyes that see them - you don't make them. It is created with the nine patch and the star points...It is actually a star block!!!!

This message was edited May 18, 2011 2:50 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8571833

I think she is looking at the last photo posted on 16 May at 2:46PM? It has circles in it. 8 post's up.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 18, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8572234

I love the "disappearing circles" in the nine-patch and star quilt - that's my favorite part of of that quilt! :) I'm trying to figure out the best way to quilt it that will accentuate the circles.

The one with the curved patches is indeed a Drunkard's Path, but it's a mix of 3.5" and 6.5" blocks, so it's going to be insanity, putting it together. I call it "Bubbles," and it's my own design. It was the main reason I bought EQ - I kept drawing this darn quilt and losing the drawings so I thought that if I had it in EQ, I could just print out a new one whenever I lost it.

Two of those drawings have turned up since then, and I have had to print this a couple of times, too.

All the patches are sewn and ready - I'd planned to start putting it together today, but I got sidetracked. I'd be happy to put the pattern/yardage charts/templates into a pdf and share it with anyone who wants it. Just DMail me your email address.

This message was edited May 19, 2011 10:52 AM
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

May 18, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8572284

Yes bubbles is the one I was talking about. I searched patterns and the only one that came close was the drunkards path. Bubbles makes it even sound like alot of fun to do. Perfect for scraps. Thanks to all for helping me out.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8573501

FYI: Here's a neat pattern site I stumbled onto... mostly for scrappies, there are FREE pdf instructions, but since they are scrappy, she does not list yardage requirements.

http://www.maryquilts.com/

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8573511

Okay Kathy, you have gotten me in more trouble. 13 1/2 hours but who is counting? LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2011

Post #8573569

I'm learning I'd get more packing done if I din't have to work @10 hrs/day!!!!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

May 19, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8574009

What a great site. Thank you Kathleen for sharing.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8574140

Marion...you know that sewing/quilting is relaxing... I was just giving you something else to concentrate on to keep the old BP down before Saturday... LOL

You're welcome Laura! I just love finding new sites that offer free patterns, don't you?

Too bad we all couldn't converge on Jean's place... we could help her pack! Of course, with all the chattin' and gigglin' goin' on, it may not be as fast as she wants... ROFL

This message was edited May 19, 2011 3:59 PM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8575326

I'm gigglin' and gigglin'
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8575578

Oh talk about fun! Then again, Kathy, you might be right...we wouldn't get anything done.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8576065

... and who's breakin' out the Bailey's??????? LOL
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8576109

did someone say Baileys?!?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8576240

LOL...
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8578188

I learned that you really can put a new sewing machine needle in backwards, that it will take you an hour of troubleshooting to figure that out, and that by the time you do figure it out, it's time to put everything away.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8578233

don't cha just hate it when stuff like that happens !!!!???!!!! aaarrrrghggghhhhhh !

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8578267

You'd just almost rather it was something complicated so You didn't have to feel so silly about it.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8578294

I mean, there's a flat side, and a round side . . . it should be like in kindergarten . . . if it's not the right shape, it won't fit . . .
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011

Post #8579273

Thank you for my my best laugh in a while...laughing with you not at you. I've done the same thing and feel so Duh! I also threaded my machine wrong and didn't find it out until I took it into the doctor. The guy and I both laughed and I slunk away.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8579316

My best Laugh on myself when was I got my old Singer machine back from Bud (best repair man in Syracuse area). I asked him if he had any attachments or accessories for this old machine. He asked what more could you need and opened up the top to display all the extras I had been asking about. I had been "gifted" with the machine when my friend Fran got her new Phaff. My old Singer had died and I didn't want to put any more $$$$ into it. Did I feel foolish! YES!!!

Thumbnail by mittsy

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8579420

NOW I know I'm in good company!!! LOL... I won't tell you about all the electrical items (cassette players etc) that I have taken in for repair, (my computer for internet capability) only to find out a "switch" had been moved either "pausing" or "disabling" a capacity. OH yeah... they call me the Techno -Zero!! LOL

Mittsy what a WONDERFUL surprise!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8579484

I have a techy friend or else I wouldn't even be on here. Sometimes he's a bit hard to get hold of, but all I have to do is email him that I'm putting everything out to the curb. Guaranteed to get him here on the double.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8579841

Karen, I have techy-geek sons now that keep some of my problems from becoming costly One trip to the house and my "internet problem was fixed".

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8580030

This one thinks he's my son..in fact his step kids even call me grandma.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8580377

"Grandma", that's sweet! I know my kids like that there is something they can do for me.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8581590

s... happens. so before I left I got my new machine. Reading a bit about it and watching the video they stress to use the knee lever while quilting so you can have more spare parts to work the quilt? feet and hands? I can't find the knee thing so I call, very upset and Cyndi says " well just look in the sewing machine case. Lo and behold all the embroidery/quilting frames and knee think are stored in a compartment in the case.
All thhis after I already had I thing with her.I paid for the machine, no chump change, and was promised to have the machine in 2 days after the weekend. Well 2 weeks 3weeks no machine. I had visions of ankruptcy which is happening left and right in Sarasota, also a few years ago I was stuck with $1000. down and furniture was never delivered because of bankruptcy.
So I marched in to the shop to get a credit, well the machine had just arrived in the AM, talk about a red face.Janome! I should have understood what with the disasters in Japan commerce just is not the same. And when I get back home I'll have to face Cyndi (yeah that's how she spells her name) for lessons.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8581635

good morning Helene! Sorry to hear of all the craziness... Personally, if they promised you the machine that quickly, and it didn't arrive as promised, they could have at least called and told you that it would take a little longer and why. Customer Service isn't what it used to be, for sure! Those knee levers sure are nice though, there was one on the sewing machine cabinet that came with my first machine. But since it was folded up under the cabinet front, I didn't even know it was there for a long time! And since I sewed alot, it was nice to be able to use that and fold it back up, rather than leaving a foot pedal on the floor when the kids played.
I ordered some dahlia's from Breck's recently, received order confirmation by email, then the following week, another email saying that the order would be shipped to me by the 16th. Then over the weekend, received 3rd email saying that the order had just been shipped from the Netherlands and would take 3-4 weeks (... a 'slow' boat? LOL).

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8581661

Enjoy your new machine, Helene.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
8:00 AM

Post #8581683

how about another FREE pattern site?

http://www.fabricfreedom.co.uk/QuiltsAndProjects.html

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8582130

Found this easy 10 minute block idea... not sure if it takes that long or not, but how easy to make a quick block! you could use any size squares, as they are all the same size - 5 squares to a block, the center block is 'on point' and only 3 seams!! I think she used 10" squares, but in one of her other videos, she mentions using FQ size... you could put together a quilt top with a border in nothing flat!! Oh, sometimes she turns down the inner block seam and stitches it down like a cathedral window, really nice. There is a book out there too, with other ideas.
Sorry if this is old news to you all... I tend to find these cool things long after the hype has died down...LOL IMO this rates right up there with those easy pinwheels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM

Or if you don't want to do the Youtube, here's a link with instructions/pics... (different instructor)

http://kraftyzales.blogspot.com/2011/04/10-minute-quilt-block.html

Thumbnail by Kizmo

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8582182

This is the first block I learned, I was told it was a bowtie block if done like the picture. Really easy to do!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8582298

So I am working on an iPad I think I have to have one
I am so waiting for Saturday to go home and play with my new machine
Also this weather is bit too much all this rain.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
1:01 PM

Post #8582317

Linda, one of the comments I saw on this video, was that the commentor had used it to make a 3D Bowtie... my brights against a black background would make those brights just light up! This easy, peasy block rates right up there with the easy pinwheel...!

Helene... an iPad????? you're just moving right along, aren't you? LOL They are nice, though...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8582338

Addictive ! Does soo much short of going to the bathroom for you

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8582358

About the only thing you can't do on the Ipad, is view anything that requires flash. It is not comaptable, and AT&T is having issues with them. Other than that, I love mine!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8582820

I learned how to make popcorn in the microwave, without using a store bought pack! It's so simple, I don't know why I didn't figure it out before.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8582976

We traveled backwards on this one. I even bought a special pan. We had forgotten how good old fashioned buttered popcorn is.
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 23, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8583192

Love popcorn! A hundred years ago, I worked at a Woolworth's and the constant smell of popcorn was one of the nicest things about the job.

WT Grant's and Cornet Stores used to feature popcorn, too. I don't think any of the stores have it any more, do they?

Do any of those old stores even exist nowadays?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8583211

Les Schwab Tire company always have a free popcorn machine. I Les Schwab is pretty much Northwest company.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8583224

are you using a special microwave popcorn bowl/pan?
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2011
4:22 AM

Post #8583730

For the "test" I used a plastic microwave bowl. But, I will try it next in a paper bag with no oil, as the oil/corn combination melted pits into the bottom of the bowl . . . I tried it again with just a coffee mug - used the oil - when it was done, I put the popcorn in a bowl, and put a small bit of butter in the mug (melted real quick), and poured that over the popcorn. Definitely not bad.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
4:28 AM

Post #8583734

Rural King in KY has popcorn. It's a real treat to shop there. I always buy my gardening boots, seeds and other gardening stuff each year when we visit the grandkids.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8583950

QVC used to sell 'hull-less" popcorn years ago.. it was really good, popped up big kernels, hardly any left unpopped and no hard shell bits to jam in your teeth. I bought it by the case, they had several varieties, but we always got the natural, nothing added kind. I was stocked up on it, then they stopped selling it. We looked everywhere for it, but the company had apparently sold out or something. It wasn't Redenbacher, either, much much better that theirs!
We ended up going back to Amish popcorn and a hot air popper...

We had Rural King's back in IN, but still have a TSC here, will have to check to see what they have.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8586464

I've been wanting to try one of those twister blocks, but didn't want to buy a template, figured I could figure out the cuts easy enough. Like all the other projects I want to try, it's on the list...LOL

However, came across this on how to cut your own template, thought someone else may be interested:

http://yarn-or-fabric.weebly.com/how-to-make-an-acrylic-quilt-template.html
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

May 25, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8586539

Oh thanks! I tried cutting plexi with a jigsaw once and ended up with a melty mess! LOL! I was working too hard - who'd'a thunk you score and snap it like that???? How cool!!!

I LOVE the look of that twister quilt and I realllllllllly want to make some of these.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8586613

My local glass shop makes templates for me at a very reasonable price (very accurate too) because he can use scraps. I mark an X with permanent marker corner to corner which also marks the exact center. Once it drys good it doesn't seem to smear at all but can be removed with alcohol.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8587003

I got my "thank you, but . . . " email today. Oh, well . . .

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8591001

Sorry to hear that Nicole. I remember well how that feels.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8599411

Here's an informative link, very interesting...

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/quilting.htm
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8602182

I learned you can pack a ton of fabric very quickly when you don't stop to "look" at it. Just shove a sewing machine in a box then fill with fabric. All I have left out are scrap pieces. I feel naked w/out all the fabric in my sewing room.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8602249

The realtor calls it de-cluttering. We call it comfort.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8602807

when the boys were little, we would occasionally take a rainy day and clean and sort the toy box, keeping some, sending some to the church donations and throwing out the broken ones. However, they would always find a way to keep them or put them back in the 'keep' pile... Then I would find things under their beds, in the closet, drawers, wherever their little minds thought Mom wouldn't look... So I started doing it myself when they left for school in the morning, I referred to it as my 'Pitchin' Party'... that was the only way I could get rid of things. LOL
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

June 2, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8603260

Oh Kathleen I have those parties here at least every other month. And they very rarely miss anything pitched.lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8603763

http://www.elnausa.com/en-us/pages.php?page=88

If anyone has a janome sewing machine, please check this link, some are being recalled.
This recall involves the Elna eXcellence 740 sewing machine.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8603883

Hubby and I have been going thru things the last couple days... I say "pitch", he says "nope, gotta keep that for 7 yrs", "nope, put that it my pile of 'go-thrus' " , "nope, need Dad to look at that first", "nope... "... brings back memories of my kids...LOL

And Dad is just as bad, if not worse... been sorting things in his upstairs, looking for some paperwork. Still has his wife's things in boxes, clothes in the closet, cards and letters when she was in the hospital and nursing home before she passed, etc. He doesn't go up there much, just says he needs to go thru things again. I told him today that Readers Digests, Family Circles, etc from 2002 really need to go... he said I could go thru the stacks (read: STACKS) and do what I want to... yeah, only when he's not home...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8603938

ROFLOL Oh does that sound familiar. My sister has been going through boxes of our Mom's second husband and packing things up to send to his children. He has been gone for 15 yrs. but it was all neatly boxed up and stacked. Oh am I bad as I still have a couple of drawers of things I need to go through and most likely dispose of too. Won't even mention what daughter has and needs to decide what to do with. Hummm, sounds like we are a bunch of pack rats.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8604070

Have you checked out the 'Clean and Clutter-free' forum? There are a lot of good ideas on it, that I have not gotten around to doing. I will hang my head in shame and go shuffle more junk mail...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8604078

Didn't even know there was such a forum. Humm might check it out...Cat just think, you are in good company. Me I am sorting quilting mags now. Want some?

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8604092

Marion, thanks for the offer but I'll pass this time. I need to get rid of some of mine as well. Does it count as de-cluttering if you transfer the clutter to another person?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8604096

ROFLOL, not sure but I tried!! I just hate to put them in recycle if someone else will enjoy them. Give am an "A" for effort.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

June 2, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8604480

Marion I will take some of the magizines but I want to pay postage or maybe you are looking for some fabric????? D-mail me

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8604668

We just had a dinner guest pop in!!! She pulled down the feeder and really enjoyed her dinner after sending her two cubs up a tree. We took several pictures and after she finally dragged the feeder off into the woods, we went in to the computer to see what shots we got. Then, while we were inside, back she came and bent the shepherds crook down to the ground and opened the suet holder. It held two cakes and off she ran with one. We know she will be back for the other one. I guess it's no more birdseed for a while.
We knew a bear was around last night as our full feeder was on the ground and empty when we got up
this morning. We figured it wasn't damaged badly so we refilled and said we would take it inside at night. We were eating dinner at 5pm when Norm said "Holy 99it!!" and there she was with her two cubs.
Judy said they didn't see any wildlife all the time they were here - I'm sorry they missed this!!!!!
Look just to the left of the feeder! It's one of the cubs going up the tree!!!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8604759

Can't trust any body anu more.

I pitch stuff quickly then I have to go through garbage to look for things. Not good either.
Where is the line???

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8604778

Barb, that's so cool! The only critters I have in my back yard are squirrels...lots and lots of squirrels! Plus the little sparrows and wrens that fly in to sit inbetween the lattice strips and listen to my cat talk to them...LOL

Helene, I've 'pitched and catched' too...☺ but I try to do more 'pitching' !
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8606051

Great picture Barb. I am not sure I would want many dinner guest like that but then again, it is so nice to see them at all. We had a black bear a couple of years ago that kept crossing back forth over I-10. I was always in horror he was going to be hit but alas he was trapped and moved.

Kathy, don't even want to discuss the squirrels!!! LOL Then again, I hate they get into the bird feeders but what can I do...also have feeders out for them. Occasionally we will have a beaver cross the back yard but that is about it.

House, will send dmail a little later. NO fabric or postage needed...just happy someone might want to look at them.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8606086

Marion, the resident squirrels have their little ones with them out front as I type... we watch them do the tightrope thing down the house power line, from the tree by the street to our roof, where they jump across to the neighboring building, then to the tree in the back yard, over to the garage, where they race across the roof, I think they have mapped out a race course, as they do it daily...LOL

So far, they haven't been back in the attic, so maybe they found a more suitable living space for now!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8606659

I know this isn't a quilt block, but my lily bloomed and wanted to share it with you all... it sure would make a pretty block, though!

Marion, this is one of those red carpet lilies I planted last year..

Thumbnail by Kizmo

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8606829

Kathy, that is a beautiful color!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8606862

they call it red, but it's a really pretty red-orange... supposed to be short, but they are about 16-18" tall. Ordered more for this Fall's planting, but need to enlarge the beds beside the walks.

Wouldn't that make a pretty quilt block in those colors?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8606934

That would be a beautiful quilt block!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8607245

Kathy, that is really pretty. Lucky you, mine didn't come up but then I wasn't home much after they were planted so they were neglected. Humm, might try some in the fall...to hot now.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
8:28 PM

Post #8607351

I was surprised they even popped thru this Spring... they didn't do anything last year after planting. Must have been the warm, rainy Spring we had this year. I've never really grown lilies, except daylilies before, and the occasional Easter lily that I tried to save after Easter Sunday. What I'd really like to have would be a huge bed of those old orange 'Tiger lilies' that used to grown along the sides of the roads back home, they were orange with speckles...
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

June 4, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8608126

Ohmigosh - imagine having bears in your neighborhood. I haven't seen a bear since I was a little girl, camping in Yosemite!

I thought the blackbirds and squirrels and mice were garden pests! :D

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8608145

My Sweet Caroline, 1 year old already.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8608236

Karen, what a precious little girl!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8608240

Karen that grin just made my day!!! Expecting Mittsy a bit later - will post again after...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8610531

Got these in a newsletter, the first is a free download for those of you who EQ, the second is a link for Jinny's free patterns

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/promos/palette10-eq

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-with-jinny/design-board/browse.cfm
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8618249

I learned that three women will not all have their eyes open and smile at the same time.
Judy (NH) Mittsy (NY) Barb (NH). Red, white, and blue, but happy! Keeping on the alert for Mama bear and her cubs!

Thumbnail by mittsy

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8618301

Glad we got that picture Mittsy even if Judy had her eyes closed!!! No more sign of the bear. Had my eye done this morning so off to rest for a while.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8618306

sending 'heal quick' thoughts your way!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

June 8, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8618338

Love the picture. Get some rest Barb and before you know it you will be sewing.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8618341

what a cool pic of 'sisters'... ! Glad you all had a good time! Barb, did you have your eye surgery yet?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8618366

Nice picture Mittsy...thanks for sharing.

Barb, rest and don't forget to do the drops as instructed. LOL Ah, better vision is here.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8618373

Marion, I just happened to think of it. Did you get a package from me?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8618376

Yes, it finally came yesterday. Thanks you so much and the fabric...a wonderful surprise indeed. How is your hubby and Mom doing?
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2011

Post #8618426

Mom is doing great, DH not so good.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8618432

I am sorry to hear that Mittsy. Know we are here for support.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8618617

Mittsy, sorry to hear hubby is not doing good! Sending lots of thoughts and prayers!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8618700

Thank you. Much appreciated.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8618880

http://www.5bucksayard.com/
Look what I found...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
3:17 AM

Post #8619393

Nice pic!!!!! Was the RWB planned??? I must remenber to wear my Flag shirt to work next Tues for Flag Day. I wear it 2X year - Flag Day & 4th July.
I'm off today & tomorrow to finsih cleaning up my mess. I think everything that needs to be packed is now in the DR and will go into boxes today. Weather is to cool off starting tomorrow & I'm not "playing" in the POD in 100 deg weather so packing will wait till Sat AM.
Hope to do my painting tomorrow. Need to get to the basement & organize the disaster in my sewing room. Everything is still in the middle of the floor. Just need to organize it and put baskets up on shelves. See what else can be packed away now.

I sew want to sit & sew a bit in the next few days...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8619447

You are almost there Jean. Then you can heave a big sigh and get to sew for a while. I hope the house sells quickly for you...
LK I like that site - must go back after the patch is off later today.
And yes, Kizmo, the surgery was yesterday and this big chicken is doing great. The other eye will be done in two weeks and I'm not at all apprehensive any more...Can't wait to get the patch off though.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8619498

Glad to hear your first one is done Barb.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8619565

The red, white and blue, was just a coincidence. So we arranged ourselves for the photo op. Love it! How'd your picture come out, Barb?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8619597

YEA!!! Barb. Glad the first is done. It's the hardest, getting past the nervousness. Now you know it's a walk in the park.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8619665

I hear it's Silio's birthday today?????? Happy Birthday Karen!

Thumbnail by Kizmo

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8619682

Oh, ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ Happy Birthday to you... ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ Hope you have a great day!
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

June 9, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8619753

Okay, Kizmo, first the great fabric discount link and now cakes. You're tryin to kill me, ain'tcha? ;)

Happy birthday, Karen!!!

Barb, I should be right behind you, but I haven't gotten past my chicken-ness yet. Glad you're halfway done! :)

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8619754

Now Elizabeth... the cakes are small...LOL

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 9, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8619769

Following the trail, carrying a cake... "Happy Birthday" Silio aka Karen.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8619848

Happy Birthday Karen!

Elizabeth, many of us on here have been in the chicken state but have finally gotten it done. Trust me, it is a piece of cake. Get it done, the sooner you will be seeing what you have missed.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8619859

Happy Birthday, Karen.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8619953

Happy Birthday Karen!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

June 9, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8620024

HAPPY BITHDAY KAREN.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8620159

Hmmmmmmmmmm...why don't I see her name in the bitthdays list???
Hope you have a great one Karen.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8620362

Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes. Just got home from lunch with my daughter, yummy.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8620420

Glad your day is special Karen...as are you. Wishes being sent for many many more...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8620575

She is not a paid member of DG, so it does not show up there.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8620599

Sorry a membership is just not something I can do now.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8620608

Don't need to be sorry, lots are here with no membership.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8620977

Happy Birthday, Karen. Glad you had a great lunch.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8704519

Today I learned . . . well, ok, it was yesterday that I learned I got a job, and it starts on 8/1!!! I couldn't ask for a better location - it is only one exit down the highway, and it is on a bus route that will drop me off at Walmart, just a half mile from home! It is thru a temp agency, but it is a one year contract, with the option of hiring on permanent after one month, if the company want to hire. I went in today to fill out paperwork at the agency, and went to do a drug test.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8704579

Good for you! I'm excited for you Nicole!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8704602

Thanks! It will be a relief to have the extra income . . .
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

July 20, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8704613

Thank God! How wonderful! :)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8704663

Oh Nichole, I'm so happy for you!!!! Norm picks up his company truck tomorrow and starts to work on Monday. After 2 1/2 yrs + we are doing the happy dance up here. Care to join us?????
quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

July 20, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8704727

Oh Barb, that's terrific news for you, too! It's so stressful to be without a job - I know it's a relief to have an end of that in sight.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8705013

Nichole that is great news! Congrats!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8705037

Thanks all, and congrats to Norm, Barb! I've been doing my own happy dances, usually when nobody is looking. ^_^

Now to get myself out of this "funk" I've been in, and get going on my blocks!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 21, 2011
2:59 AM

Post #8705463

Nichole that is wonderful news. And you do not have to travel far.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8705515

Happy, happy, joy, joy!!! Can't you see me dancin'???? Nichole we can do-si-do!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8705712

http://www.fabric.com/cool-cotton-print-sale.aspx?cm_mmc=facebook-_-leigh+ann-_-7%2F15%2F11+coupon+and+sales-_-cool+cotton+print+sale

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8705924

I learned that I don't have to tell Hubby and Dad where I've been 'hiding' all day... they can tell from the stray threads in my hair on my shirt... LOL

Fabric.com on FB has posted a 15% coupon also, use FB15 in the coupon box. I don't think they would apply it to the 2.98 sale fabric, but to any of the regular priced yardage..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8706520

LOL Kathy, they remind me of my dear friend in Gainesville. She was always getting on to me to finish something before starting a new project (at the time she only worked on 1 thing at a time) ; so I had to carefully pick up all my threads or she instinctively would see new colors and ask what I was doing. She finally gave up with me and now she is worse than I am about starting several things at once.

Okay, what I have learned today: I certainly do NOT need to be buying any new fabric. Cleaning out the MIL suite so we can get it finished and what a pile of fabric!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8706767

so now she has multiple projects to work on, like the rest of us???? LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8707226

Marion, I'm proud of you for dragging your friend to the "dark side" with us and our mutiple projects!! NOW she can rightly claim to be a quilter and crafter!! LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8707267

...and I forgot to mention she now has a "fabric stash". Yeap she is converted!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8707695

wahahhaha... WELCOME to the DARK SIDE!! She's in GREAT company!!
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8715128

I learned today that I really need to make a note and put it on my machine somewhere, stating: When you change feet on this machine to do a zig zag stitch, you need to remember to move it back to a straight stitch when you change the foot back to the 1/4" foot . . . I broke my 2nd needle today because I forgot to change the stitch on the machine after changing the feet around.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8715160

I learned I need to clean the machine more often so it doesn't sound funny. Amazing how fast they collect under the throat plate!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8715799

Nichole, I made myself get into the habit of closing down my machine the same way every time. I leave the needle in the up position. (My machine automatically puts it in the center when I turn on the machine. If the needle is down, it can't move if necessary and then breaks ) I leave the presser foot up as well. I can't do anything until I lower it. I may need to immediately raise it again but it acts like a stopping point to check on what I want. The one thing that throws me off sometimes is that I use different tensions when using the walking foot and I forget to adjust it to where it should be. Now that presser foot being up is a reminder to check it before I start to sew.
Just a couple of thoughts that may help and save a few needles.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8716919

See, Barb . . . you have a smart machine . . . I have a basic mechanical model that needs a smarter human to remember to tell it what to do. Now that I start work next week, I'm hoping the machine I want from walmart.com is still available in a few weeks.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8717348

A new machine would be a nice bonus for going back to work Nicole! I hope it works out for you.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8717565

Doc...I like to think us fabriholics are "on the BRIGHT side" ^_^

Nicole...we have all done that move!!! best of luck with the new job.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8723452

I learned that when you wash new material . . . you never . . . never . . . never . . . wash the red material and white material together . . .
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8723506

Oh no! I think we all have done something like that at one time or another.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8723529

That is what the color catcher sheets are for. Can you bleach it?
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2011

Post #8723710

I soaked it in bleach while I went to pick husband up from store. I'm going to go out to check it now . . .
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8723722

Well, it's not pink anymore, it's more of an eggshell color now. I'm putting it thru the wash now, just to get the chlorine smell out . . . I won't be using it for what I had bought it for, but I'll still be able to use it for something . . .
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8723728

That is good news.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8723780

Give it some good tugs to make sure bleach didn't weaken the fibers. You might try soaking overnight in Oxyclean, it might brighten the white. It works for me on vintage dresses that have yellowed over the years.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8727934

Boy, do I know what you mean about washing fabric! I am making a quilt for my grandson who is going to college in a month. He wanted RWB, nautical instead of patriotic. I bought some beautiful dark navy with a variety of white dots, a dark red with strip (he told me he likes stripes) and a white with small red dots. I washed all together and somehow the white got small dots of blue on it in a variety of places. I bleached it and rewashed and it came out right away but I will be more careful next time. I'm using a pinwheel pattern with the red as the pinwheel and the navy with the largest triangle. I will bind it in red, then navy and have a great navy and white pattern for the backing. I am so excited...I love the way the blocks are taking form.
I know, however, why I love doing block swaps. I get really bored doing the same block and it will take 35 for this quilt. Think how bored I would get it I did a queen or kind?

So good to hear from you Marion; I've missed you and I have been gone while on vacation ,too.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8737038

I learned today . . . not 10 minutes ago . . . that my new job that was supposed to start this past Monday . . . has been postponed again! First it was pushed back to Wednesday. Then the agency guy calls on Tuesday to say it was pushed to Friday. He calls again a bit ago, and said he got an email from the lady at the company, where she said it would be crazy to start training on a Friday, so it's pushed to Monday.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8737050

Oh no, sounds like a case of hurry up and wait! LOL
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8737167

Yep. And I've got new shoes waiting to be taken out of the box, and I keep putting them back in

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8737419

Ooooooooooo new shoes! What great way to start a new job!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8738117

Break them in now Nichole so your feet won't hurt on Monday!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8738362

Barb, good thought.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8738570

Nichole, what is your new job? Sorry to hear it keeps getting pushed back.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8745627

[quote]Break them in now Nichole so your feet won't hurt on Monday!!!!![/quote]

Ow! My poor aching feet! And to find out today that we can wear tennis shoes and jeans for the rest of the year! Guess I know what I'll be shopping for this weekend!

LK - I got a position thru a temp agency working in the Wire Transfer dept at USAA . . . I can't say how lucky I feel to have it, either! It is one exit away from me, it is on a bus route, so if hubby can't take me in the am, then I can catch a bus.

Yesterday, I also signed both kids up for after school care AT their school - hosted by the YMCA. Not only will they help the kids with their homework, there will be a snack, and activities! And the cost is almost half of what it is at the local day care centers. So, I feel lucky to have that, also!

The only thing I will regret is not being able to take my daughter to her first day of Kindergarten. I will still be able to take her (oh, and my son - but he's been thru it a few times already - it's my daughter that it's a novelty for!) to Meet The Teacher night, so will be able to make sure she knows where her class is . . . and her big brother too! Oh, how he disliked having to take her every day last year from the bus! But, they're my babies, and I'm over protective - even when I'm not there!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8745722

That's great Nicole... I'm glad you have found something that will work out so well.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8745730

After school programs are awesome !!! my kids really enjoyed them !!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

August 9, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8746053

We used to go to the YMCA when I was young. Best times for sure. Wish we had one here.
Our first day of school is tomorrow. YEAH...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8746283

Nichole, I don't think you are over protective. If we don't watch over our children, then who will? The first day of kindergarten is special and I understand your feelings. My youngest GD starts first grade on the 22nd and although I won't be here, I have had the fun of shopping for her school supplies. What an adventure and fun too.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8768389

Come over to the new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1212384/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America