Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What Did You Learn Today? Pt 3

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

We came from this long thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1137808/#new

I've learned that a doll quilt can take just as long to piece as a bed-sized quilt.

I've learned that of all the ways I know to make flying geese, Eleanor Burns' method is still my favorite and paper-piecing has become an instant non-favorite! Ohmigosh, I thought I would lose my mind!

But, when you're doing pieces this small, the paper piecing really is precise and neat, so I'm doing some more of them because even though this quilt is only about 17-18", it's way too big for the doll it's intended for. I'm about halfway done with piecing the geese for the second quilt.

It took more than two days to piece the first one - the second one is going faster, thank heavens! :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I learned I wont be making another 'darting bird' ;-o

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

cute quilt! I tried doing a 1" square mini, pretty much laughed the whole time......just how big are those geese sections anyway? my gosh, if the whole thing is about 18", those sections are about 1.5 x 3.5???? I'd have to get one of those Dexter Poindexter type magnifying globes... LOL and a couple bottles of Zinfandel......

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

GG, what in the world is a darting bird?

Kizmo, yep, about all you can do is laugh. Or cry, but laughing is better. The geese are 1" X 2" - the first foundations I made were 1" X 3/4"! Now that *would* have been a laugh. ;)

The Zin wouldn't do much for precision but.... who cares? ;)

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I learned you can't so S-in-D or Cross hatch when the seams don't match up exactly. Loaded one of the charity quilts and w/out close inspection it looked good. Because the vertical sashing was wide & a dk blue print & the rest of the quilt was 8" churn dash blocks of different white prints, was just going to quilt the horizontal & vert seams. Luckily I looked closer before I started quilting and noticed the pieces just did not match up well.
So the churn dash strips were quilted w/ swirls & stars and the blue sashing is so far just outlined w/ S-in-D.

Nothing is ever as easy as it 1st appears, especially when you are in a time crunch.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Quilter_gal --- this is a darting bird
http://quilterscache.com/D/DartingBirdBlock.html

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

Quote from Qwilter :
Nothing is ever as easy as it 1st appears, especially when you are in a time crunch.

Words to live by, those! ;)

An unofficial corollary is that when you're just dinkin around, everything will go smoothly and quickly.

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

Quote from Quilter5bdsr :
Quilter_gal --- this is a darting bird
http://quilterscache.com/D/DartingBirdBlock.html

Ohmigosh! HST's! Quick, everyone down to the shelter!

This message was edited Feb 6, 2011 9:31 AM

With all the ice you are getting down there, the shelter is the only place to be!!!!! We got some last night too. Could have been a lot worse but on top of all the snow it's a pain in the butt....

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That bird looks like a breeze, probably is, but it has given me a fit....fitting.

The easiest way I know when I 'm only making one block like this, is to cut the pieces 1/4" bigger, sew the halfs together and then cut down to size. That way they are all the same and should go together easily...

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

It doesn't look like a breeze to me! I just did a Kansas Troubles block for Barbara Brackman's Civil War commemorative last week and I will have to do it again if I don't want to chop the points off when I set it.

I think Barb's right - from now on, I'm going to make the sewn HST squares about a quarter inch too big and trim it down. More work - but less than having to make the whole darn thing over again.

That Zin idea is growing on me, too. And I don't even drink. Yet.

That bird is a Bears Paw turned around!!!!
I always make my squares for a HST a bit larger then what the directions call for. THat way I can trim them to be "exact".

I had to open my sun roof to cool the car down this afternoon. Temps in the mid-40s & not a cloud to be seen. Was @70 inside the car.
Went to JoAnn's for thread & came home with a yellow tulip & fern wreath for the front door & w potted tulips - red & yellow. Now I can put the poinsetta away & still have color on the front porch.
I did remember to get thread!!!!!
Tomorrow will also be nice then snow on Thur.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Whatever it is...I just gave the bird...'the bird'. Ill start over when Im done with the rest of the blocks. Ive ripped the seams one time to many and its just a frayed mess.

No bears paws in my future either I guess.
Even if you have the matching down...Its 36 little squares, not to mention aolt of those are hst. That is ALOT of seams to get pressed the right way, and then matched and snuggled for sewing together.

You an make bigger birds. So just a 9-patch so the pieces will be larger. Each square/HST would finish 4" instead of 2'.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

just thought this was cute:

Thumbnail by Kizmo
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Perfect for our area, Kathy.

That works here too!!!! Really cute...

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

very cute! will work here too.

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

GG, that's a lotta darn squares. It sure is a pretty block though. Is this in a sampler you're doing? Or a BOM, maybe?

Kizmo, that's just plain cute! I was ready for that sign a few days ago, but today, you can't tell that we were so snow-y and icy around here.

I'm putting the binding on the second doll blanket. I love the look of miniatures, but I sure never would have guessed that they take so long to make. At least putting the binding on will be quick. A couple of hours, tops - one good old movie from the 40's and it'll be done. :)

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

I found out that heavy quilting is probably not the way to go with a doll quilt. Live and learn, eh?

But, it's cheerful and bright and looks good with a baby doll. :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

This is a little 9" doll I re-borned because it looks just like one of my sisters when she was a baby. (It's a Peanut kit from Pat Moulton.)

I made the doll and clothing a couple of years ago and she's just been sitting here waiting for me to get her mailed. My sister will be so surprised to see it, finally. :)

Thumbnail by quilter_gal

OMG that looks like a real baby!!!!

WOW - it fooled me too. I thought that was a photo of your sister!!!

Lexington Park, MD

Looks soooo real. Amazing work on the quilt.Your sister will love it I am sure.

Beautiful work Elizabeth, I used to make porcelain dolls and dress them, Some times I miss it.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

WOW !!!

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

Thank you, gals! I emailed pictures of the doll to my mother and she was amazed at how much it resembled my sister. I hope my sister likes it.

I'm working on my second Texas quilt, today - it's the fastest quilting I've ever done, I think. Fabulous how fast a quilt fills up when you're just making big spirals all over it.

The last Texas theme quilt I made was a king-size and I made it specifically to practice feather designs - I don't remember how long it took to make all those feathers, but two hours into the quilting, I probably had four or five motifs out of fifty finished. Two hours into this one and I'm half done with this full sized bed quilt! Yippee!!!! I might even get the borders on it by tonight!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Elizabeth, post pictures when you can please?

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

I've learned that they should call it, "Criss-crossing the ditch," or "Running away from the ditch" or "Stitch somewhere in the vicinity of the ditch....."

The next time someone says that they just did SITD, I'm going to say, "What do you mean *just?* SITD is hard!!!!!"

So true, so true, Elizabeth. That's why I switched to a serpentine stitch as that was basically what I was doing anyhow.....well not quite as neat and even.

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

Okay, that's it... I'm bringing in the "quilting words" for this one!

Mizzenfritzenpuppenschnicken.... %$*@#!!!!!!! There, I feel better... *g*

Every time I try to do SITD, I end up wishing I never heard the word, "quilt." And this was just a little bit of it - six seams.

And now, I'm apparently incapable of keeping the FMQ part inside the lines, too.

Ah well...... I'm almost done, I'm almost done, I'm almost done..... done in. ;)

I'm telling you....serpentine....serpentine....serpentine.

(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

I'm gonna go that route, next time. ;)

Sometimes, it's best to walk away for a while, so I went downstairs and had an unpleasant (smelling) chat with Lady Clairol (gosh, she is such a snob!) and worked on my needle-turn applique and now I'm ready to get the rest of this quilt quilted.

I can do anything when my grey hairs are gone. Heheeeeee!

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

SITD is actually one of the hardest type of quilting there is to do!!!

I am with Karen...big time......SERPENTINE !!!!

When a customer brings me a quilt and says "oh, SITD is fine" I tell them how much that will cost as compared to an allover meander. They are always amazed. SITD is even more difficult when the pieces don't match up exactly. You can hide that with a meander but not doing straight lines (as the lady is going to find out when I deliver her quilt to her today).

Yesterday I learned it's impossible to stay inside & quilt when it is sunny & 80 outside!!!! Especially when I also knew winter was coming back today and the rest of the month. Cinnamon "helped" me get some leaves & dead plants out of the front flower bed.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I learned how to play with the embriodery unit for my machine yesterday. Adding that to DD's quilt that I'm planning will be fun.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

What kind of machine jumper? Sounds like fun!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Designer 1, I have Viking machines. It was fun to learn how to play. DH has ideas for his sister for me to work on.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I really wish I had serpentine stitch on my machine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.