Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Let's make a gift basket!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 5, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8356237

Let's make a gift basket for a gardener. List some ideas what you would place in this basket with a $25 budget. Let's see, we use a basket that we have around the house but are no longer use. Maybe it needs freshening up..let's look in our paint supplies and see what color of canned spray paint we already have that we could use for this purpose, or make a trip to Home Depot, Lowe's or local hardware store if you don't have any at home that you can use. A gardener can't have too many pairs of garden gloves. Maybe add some Spring bulbs, a bulb planter, flower seed packets. Maybe some plant markers(for indoor and outdoors) How about a small gardening journal; some nice colored pens for use in the journal. Paint pens for use on the plant markers, a gardening trowel. Maybe I've already gone over this $25 budget I set for myself. I'll need that gift basket cellaphane wrap, a nice bow..and maybe some of that colored shredded paper they use as filler.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8356330

How about adding one of those kneeling pads.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8356384

Great idea. I had thought of a kneeling pad but don't know the cost I like the idea of the kneeling pads, you don' t have to keep moving them, they are straped on your knees. Great idea! The couple that does all our pruning and mulching wears them as they do yard work 9 months of the year.

Did I add bug spray to my original posting? Bottled water that can be put in the freezer for about 30-45 min. and it'll be perfect to ward off thirst when the outside temperatures is soaring. I thought of a straw hat but that'll be something that might bust this small budget. Hopefully the gardener already has some type of hat. A disposable camera to use so the gardener won't have to drag the good camera outside.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2011 11:58 PM
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8359592

You used to be able to get kneeling pad for just a few $$$$(tan foam with cut-out handles. Would love basket like that, except the bug spray..I have to be very careful in that area.
One of those magic boards that kids used to get ( I am 61) that you could write on and just lift the top page to clear...for garden planning...or maybe something a tat more up to date. I have enjoyed getting homemade packets with the seeds from the gifters garden.
I want to shop!!
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8400664

The cellophane wrap can be a bit costly, why not get a yard to tool and buy an extra packet of seeds? You could also use some jute twine to tie the top and put the rest into the basket. I use that stuff on all kinds of things in the garden.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2011
3:29 AM

Post #8454976

Instead of using an actual basket, why not a terracotta pot? $3 - $5 (free if you already have one) this can be painted or decorated to dress it up or left natural.

a garden apron to hold small garden tools, very simple to make yourself from garden themed fabric.

or a garden hat -$5
a few peat pots for seed starting? $3 for a sleeve

a few homemade recipes for fertilizer or hummingbird nectar written on pretty paper or note cards $3 (free if you already have the stationary)

a small plastic water gauge from the dollar store or use a catfood/tuna can that you have painted and marked yourself.

Popsicle/craft sticks with the inches marked on them for measuring seedling growth.

small set of wind chimes from the Dollar Store $1 - $2

a flower mix made up of seeds from your own garden - Free

Shredded paper grocery bags can serve as 'filler' and comes with your groceries - Free

rooted cuttings of plants or herbs from your garden -Free

Hand trowel and hand rake - $1.50 ea. at most big box stores

seed saving envelopes or mini plastic ziplock bags - $1

pack of plastic plant markers - $2-$5

Bird netting instead of Cellophane to wrap your 'basket' in, twine instead of ribbon to tie it up.

-ok, I'll give it a rest for now...lol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America