Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Some kind of Salvia??

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2001
12:43 PM

Post #15521

Sorry this is out of focus, I'm still trying to figure out this camera. Plus, the wind was blowing the flower around.

This plant has grown to over 5 ft. tall and keeps wanting to lay down. I'm not sure if it's reaching for the sun (it's in mostly shade) or if that's a natural growth habit. The flower head is about 3 inches in diameter and currently about 3-4 inches long but still growing.

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Click the image for an enlarged view.

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2001
2:26 PM

Post #143282

I have heard of , but not seen , a bleeding heart vine, but there may be a photo on the forum, you might want to check that out and maybe save seeds...hint, hint
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2001
3:47 PM

Post #143360

Good try MG but I'm familiar with the bleeding heart vine, and this isn't one. I'll have to see what I can do about saving seeds - I'm not very good at it unless they're huge and obvious!
Baa

October 9, 2001
8:49 PM

Post #143498

This look like it should be in the Fumariaceae family but I can't currently identify it.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

October 10, 2001
12:07 AM

Post #143562

It's salvia "Hidalgo". I have it. It's perennial here if planted early enough in the spring, otherwise take cuttings. It roots easily from tip cuttings. It starts blooming here in August and continues till frost.
grandma_bill
Parkton, NC

October 10, 2001
11:25 AM

Post #143764

that looks like my fuschia salvia! mine is trying to lay down, too, and I had never known a salvia to do that. I moved it from full sun to a little less sun, thinking it might have to do with the sunlight. but it still wants to spread out. someone at daves directed me to this site: "Salvia World" which has many photos and descriptions of salvias: Hyperlink

I think mine is the salvia iolanthe (sp?) but it looks exactly like your picture (without the blooms).

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2001
12:50 PM

Post #143802

Grandmabill, I confess! It was me who gave you the link :) Here's a link to your earlier thread: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/104553.html

And here's a link to Salvia World: http://www.eclectasy.com/gallery_of_salvias/index.htm
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2001
1:25 PM

Post #143820

You guys are the best! I knew it wouldn't take long to get an i.d. on this thing. Thanks for all the help : )

UPDATE: After examining the photos at the Salvia World site, I've determined that this is a Roseleaf Sage. Probably the involucrata var. Bethelii. It's hard to tell by the picture I took, but the bloom starts out like a "rosebud" and the stems are tinged with burgundy.

Calalily, your Hidalgo is another involucrata variety - there's a slight color difference, but you were right on!

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 10th 9:55 AM
grandma_bill
Parkton, NC

October 10, 2001
2:42 PM

Post #143866

I went outside to look at my salvia again after posting and it has a bud on it! cant wait to see what it looks like when it opens!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America