Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Snowflakes for the Garden...the Blooming Kind!: plant bulbs in my lawn?

Communities > Forums > Article: Snowflakes for the Garden...the Blooming Kind!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Snowflakes for the Garden...the Blooming Kind!Replies: 2, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8358838

Thanks for an interesting article. I don't have any snowdrops in my garden in fact I can't recall seeing any in gardens around here. They look like a plant I knew as "Märzenbecher" in Germany - the name would translate to "cup of March". I would like to plant some this autumn. Now, I have planted my spring bulbs in areas next to the lawn. That way I just have some messy looking lawn areas for a few weeks before it gets cut along with the rest. Can I try a similar thing with the snowflakes or do they need their leaves for longer? Also, we frequently have a thick snow cover until mid-March, here in Ontario. I guess they just wait until they can stick their heads out, like the tulips??
Sabine
SoooSirius
Municipality of Murr, PA

January 28, 2014
2:11 PM

Post #9757571

Binibusybee,
I realize it has been a while since you wrote, but maybe I can answer your question.
There is another plant (bulb) that is called "snowdrops" but that is Galanthus nivalis and is short and blooms very early. Leucojums are nearly three times their size!
I have the Leucojum growing in my yard now for about 10 years. I bought them as a marked-down leftover from Easter flowers at a grocery store, having never seen anything like them. I must tell you that planting them in the lawn would probably not be a good idea. Their foliage and indeed the entire plant is as large in scale as a large Daffodil, and the leaves are thick and last a fairly long time before dying down. To me it seems larger than the pictures. Yes, they do need their foliage, as all bulbs do.
My Leucojum are planted beneath pin oak trees, about 8 feet from the street in heavy clay soil. In summer it bakes in the sun, but by then the leaves have shriveled up. Heavy snow does not deter them at all, in fact they seem to love the steady moisture in the spring when it melts. Deer leave them alone and yes, they do have a pleasant fragrance!
Good Luck!
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2014
8:03 AM

Post #9775650

Thanks for your reply SooSirius! I just found it right now.
I do love 'Snowdrops' and would like to grow some again. Will keep an eye out for some bulbs this spring. Good to hear that they keep going for so may years. I have many tulips in my garden that have been going for the last 9 years at least. I never bother fertilizing them but do make sure that they have a chance to die back in their own time.
I can't wait for spring but it will be while still...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Snowflakes for the Garden...the Blooming Kind! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never heard of these McGlory 0 Aug 15, 2009 8:43 PM
snowflakes travelgal 0 Aug 18, 2009 4:09 PM
Beautiful Snowflakes- Petalpants 0 Aug 19, 2009 4:18 PM
re: Autumn Crocus enyeholt 2 Sep 7, 2009 8:15 PM
Canadian Gardeners enyeholt 1 Sep 7, 2009 9:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America