POT HOLDER SWAP

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

This Pot Holder Swap is open to anyone. We will be making two pot holders to send to your swap mate. Please post the colors of your kitchen or the colors you want in your pot holders to make it easier for your partner. Pot holders should have insul-bright or some other insulation in them to make them heat resistant. Patterns are your choice.
While quilting is not necessary something should keep the back and front together.

I will be taking names until Sunday,Feb. 20 and will give you your partners name the next day. You will have until May 1 to finish and mail your pot holders to your partner.
Please take a picture of your pot holder to share.

Participants:

Syrumani - red,black,white or tan,sage,burgundy
BarefootT - red, white, black
housse 301 - blacks, red, brown
Quilter5dbsr - blues, greens, touch of yellow
jumper2 - blues & greens
Ladydragon5 - burgundy, gold, green or black & white
Taters55 - kitchen is beige so any color will do
Bettypauze -use up your scraps!
Heavenscape - any color, scrappy
Cheriffic - any color
Siliolegram - any color
Catbird423 - any colors
lilypad22 - yellow, red; vintage
Suggins - red, brown
Rvnsar - chili pepper red & green with blue counters
synda - grapes, burgundy, purple, green

I've rearranged the names so they are in color groupings.
I usually do that with my lists so that it is easier for me to
put fabrics together. Sorry if I confused anyone.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2011 12:21 PM

Thumbnail by ladydragon5
Lexington Park, MD

Ok sounds like fun I am in. I would like dark colors black,red ,browns.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm in too -- blues, greens please..maybe a touch of yellow????

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm in! blues and greens work for me.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I would love to try potholders! I'm in, if that's ok! My colors would be red, black, white . . . OR . . . tan, sage green, burgundy (think french theme).

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm not in for the swap, but did come across this site that has TONS of potholder links..... Have fun, ladies!

http://yarn-or-fabric.weebly.com/potholder-tutorial-links.html

Victoria Harbour, ON

Best put me in Janice...

Use up your scraps..I'm ok with anything...

This message was edited Feb 8, 2011 6:44 AM

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Add mt name also please? My kitchen is beige, so any color will do!

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

I am in too and quilted choice is fine with me as well

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I normally crochet my potholders but, I just found a design I really like(thanks Kiz) so I'll play. Any colors work for me.

P.S. Pattern for crochet is fast and easy for nice thick potholders if anyone is interested.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2011 9:46 AM

Thank you for the offer Karen. Right now I have a drawer full of pot holders, dish rags, table mats etc that I made for a craft fair last fall and then it didn't happen....I want to try this swap just because it is something I've never made...

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

somewhere I was reading to cover insulbrite with felt so as not to get burned. that is a good idea - since I made mittens with this 2 yeas ago as gifts, wish I had known of this trick.

Not sure at this time if I can participate.....

Pattern I'm using said to use 2 layers of Insulbrite. That would make sense to me especially if they were back to back.

Make sure youplace the insulbrite in the right direction. Silver side goes out I believe. I will have to read the directions again!

Guess if I was using 2 layers and placed them back to back, they would come out right then. Most potholders are just grabbed any which way.

free quilt patterns from the national quilt association if you want to look.

http://nqaquilts.org/free-projects/

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Kizmo that is a great link to the pot holder tutorials. I love all of them and they shuld make it very difficult to choose which to make. I may make these for presents, too. One year I made towels for all my friends and the DIL'S. They loved them. I almost wish I had had each of us make for all of us (boy, would that have been a lot of pot holders!)

I've entered everyone and still have room for others.

Funny I just clicked on one pattern (not the first one) and I was hooked. It was the one I wanted to make. I'll probably have to make extras too for gifts. I like it that well. Not telling though. LOL

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I was surprised there were that many links all in one place..... usually potholder ideas are only a few mixed in with other stuff.... Enjoy ladies, can't wait to see what you all end up with.!!!!

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Sew am I getting this correct.....only make one set of pot holders?? for one person.....name swap??? If so put me in!!! I can squeeze in one set !! knew I could not get a whole bunch done...so I did not even come look!!! so glad now I caved in and came to check this out ??!!!

Thunder, did you check the link Kiz has above on the 8th? It's what got me hooked.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Barb, if using a method that makes them thicker than old (*&& do I still have to try and include insulbrite???

Insul brite is so cheap Betty that it would be worth your while to buy a yard. Then it can be used for hot pads on the table too as well as pot holders and not have to worry about heat going through. I used it in all the mats I made last year and the oven mitt I made for Norm has it too. To me it is a safety thing. I'd be lost if I burnt my hands..

I put the first border on the quilt today. I like it much better now that it is "closed in" a bit.....What do you think? I have a print material for the outside border.....

OOOPPPS - I meant to post this in the What are you working on thread.... sorry.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2011 6:52 PM

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Barb, that is really nice!

No I did not look at the link I am afraid to!!! LOL
waiting to find out if this is only doing one set of potholders to one person????

Thunder, it says at the top,
"We will be making two pot holders to send to your swap mate"

So Janice you need to add Thunders name to the list please?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Next time Barb I'm in a bigger fabric store I'll pick some up.. guess what I was making is more to put the pot on rather than taking out of oven, better change my project..

Thanks LK...just wanted to be very sure that was what I was reading....LOL

Betty, "put the pot on" is still a pot holder.......IMHO

Victoria Harbour, ON

lol, guess it is..well, got one made, might try and send it and make another..variety is the name of the game right?

Ummmm Betty? you can't send until you have your partners name. LOL
I'm really antsy to get at mine too but can't till I know the colors for my partner.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just another week for names...antsy is right!

another blizzard day, great day for sewing..

Winterfest in town, going for breakfast, craft show and then home to play..up bright and early, household chores all done so the rest of the weekend will be spent doing what I enjoy best...crafting..lol..

Lexington Park, MD

Wow Betty is up and running early today.

I think she is happy now that home is her own. She keeps up with things at her own pace and knows when she wants a free weekend and plans ahead. I'm not that organized YET but I'm trying. My house work is all done too except for the breakfast dishes which Norm is cooking as I speak. Omelets this morning with a side of bacon....Then it's clean the sewing room day...

Sure wish I was back up to snuff. I have so many things just sitting waiting for me. Hoping a few more days will do it.

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I love potholders! Add me too please.

Kitchen colors are, anything vintage-looking or yellow & red

tish

Victoria Harbour, ON

Not happy Barb, thrilled to death..you know me, always have 6 tables all set up with projects waiting to be done..quiet here, turkey in the oven, applesauce cake cooling, bread is a cooking and I'm playing..

LOVE being home on my own..although, kids are dropping in for turkey tonight .. love having them visit but , we'll we know the but..

Went to Winterfest and bought some goodies, but one of the girls gave me a fabric bag/lined in which you put potatoes, or bread/yams etc to microwave..hate to use it as it looks too pretty to be baking in.

Betty, you will like the microwave potatoes. Mine take about six minutes for a potato, and they come out nice and tender.

I forgot all about colors!!!! my kitchen is red and white and black....sew...just about anything goes not fussy here, just happy to be in another pot holder swap!!!

this is one I did for the other pot holder swap I was in....the theme was flowers...

Thumbnail by barefootT
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I went out and got a yard of insul bright today . . . I figure that will give me plenty to practice with. They even cut some of the paper wrapping from the bolt, which included instructions for an oven mitt . . .

Lexington Park, MD

I too went out and got some insul-bright and going to work on some tomorrow and see how they turn out. A very nice break from working on large quilts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.