Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: growing fava beans in zone 5-6

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
atalanta
Sherman, CT

February 7, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8359067

Has anybody had success? If so, I'll assume you started seeds indoors, but when? Thanks for any information.

nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8360464

Yes! They were really easy. The only issues I had were figuring out when they were ripe, and keeping them from flopping over after a certain point.

Just plant the seed in the ground. As early as you can. I didn't note it, but I suspect that I used some kind of inoculant too, since they're N fixers.

I sowed mine April 11th last year, (coulda/shoulda been earlier) and was eating the last of them around July 4th. They were really tasty. Worth the extra effort of shelling & then peeling off the outer layer on the bean. I am so planting more this year! Alot more. And maybe a fall sowing too.

I had a minor aphid infestation, but the local wasps came along and took care of them in a very short time. It was wild to see the ants try to chase them off.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8361357

I love Fava Beans. I grow them during the winter. I plant them close together so they keep each other up.

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8362608

No need to start indoors - they can be planted outdoors as soon as you can plant peas. My plants did NOT require staking here in Colorado. Plants will probably not make it through the hot part of the summer, but you may be able to plant a second batch as a fall crop (again, more like peas than beans).
atalanta
Sherman, CT

February 21, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8384474

Thanks so much for the helpful information! Will try planting a few outdoors in early April and hope for the best!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
11:30 AM

Post #8384575

My Fava Beans burned to the grow after the "Super bowl" storm. We were below freezing for 4 days.
The plants are still alive and they are starting to pop out after cutting the brown branches.
This is the first time that happens in 4 years of growing fava beans in the fall/winter here in Dallas.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America