Hamilton, ON(Zone 6a)

Hi I've had this plant for several years, it is easy to care for. The person who gave it to me called it a pancake plant because of the round flat leaves. The leaves are attached to a woody slow growing vine by a stem that is in the middle, more or less, of the leaf. This picture shows my husband's hand holding part of the vine with leaves and a flower stalk. It has never flowered before, and it is February; the room the plant is in has temp of 13-15 C(55-60F) at this time of year. I am usually OK at finding IDs, but I've never seen another of these plants. Can you help?
Thanks, Jane C.

Thumbnail by jvclifton
Decatur, GA

Beefsteak Begonia.

Hamilton, ON(Zone 6a)

I sure it is not a beefsteak begonia, on that begonia picture the stems go to the edge of the leaf. Also, my plant's leaves are very smooth. Here is a picture of the back of a leaf and how the stem is attached.
More suggestions gladly awaited!
Thanks, Jane C

Thumbnail by jvclifton
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Maybe some kind of Podophyllum or Hydrocotyle?

Mol, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I think it's Pilea peperomioides.

Regards

Carlos

Hamilton, ON(Zone 6a)

Thanks to all, Carlos got it right. It is a Pilea peperomioides, which has a fascinating history. Common names are Chinese money plant and missionary plant, and it is native to Yunnan area of China.

To learn more see http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/garden/ga008_a_chinese_puzzle.htm

Jane C.

Santa Rosa, CA

I like that plant. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.