Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: Larkspur seeds

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 7, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8359766

I don't know where I read this but somebody mentioned that they broadcast their larkspur seeds in the snow where they want them to grow and when the seeds sink and make contact with the soil beneath them, they begin to grow. Did I imagine this? I planted some in peat pots and planted them outside a few months ago or was that allium? Will have to read over my garden diary notes. I have read that a lot of people wintersow them in milk jugs and are successful and some just direct sow them in the Fall for next Spring blooms. Guess I'll have to experiment all ways. Won't the birds scoop up the seeds that I broadcast in what's left of our snow?
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2011
6:30 PM

Post #8374228

Pippi- I have read that poppies and larkspur can be sown on the snow. I'm eager to hear how yours in peat pots do. I have some seeds, but no snow. It hit 70 here today, and will dance around that temp through Friday. I have my larkspur seeds in the fridge for now. Maybe I'll try them in ice cubes like I am trying with some poppies and morning glory seeds. I guess I'll halt the wintersowing for a day to two and try and get some weeding in to make room for the ice cubes.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 16, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8375291

Larkspur needs cool moist conditions.
If you wait for warm weather before seeding them---they won't germinate.
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8376493

This is why the freak February warm up is driving me nuts!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 17, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8377223

Will it not cool off again there?
You could try a baggy in the frig if it does not.
ladyschweig
Culpeper, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8381309

I think it will cool off somewhat. I was thrilled to hear there might be freezing rain on Monday night!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8406743

I think a lot of people have recommended that you plant the larkspur in Fall for next Springs blooms. Thanks for reminding me about those larkspur seeds I planted in peat pots..now where did I plant them? I wonder if I put a marker in where I "think " I planted them or if they have germinated yet. I think I'll walk outside and see if there is any signs of germination or a plant marker. I think I will wait till Fall to do mine. I love the idea of planting the seed inside the ice cubes..try it what do you have to lose and please post your results..whatever it turns out to be. We all know growing seeds or gardening in general is a lot about trial and error, right?
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8408347

Just checked the area where I planted those peat pots of larkspurs last Fall and by golly, I see little sprouts of green and the frozen ground there has heaved them up almost to the surface. Should I try to pot them up in some other type of container?

Ground is starting to thaw a bit and I see where a lot of things are being "heaved up" and the darn squirrels are busy at work digging into the flowerbeds.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America