Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Computer Talk: Connection dropped?

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 12, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8361526

My laptop works off the main computer via router. No problems until my husband just got a new computer. Now all of a sudden both of us are getting dropped connections.

Any idea where we should start? Would a bad router cause the main computer to get a dropped connection too? Both our connections are always dropped at the same time.

The only other connection is the DSL modem. Both computers are still hooked up, the old and the new. He's still transferring info.

Thanks so much!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8361635

I assume your system is hooked up dsl -- router and then one connection to lap top and one to computer.If this is the case then the problem must be either the router dsl or one of the wires that connect them.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8361643

Thanks so much. We'll try the cables first and then the router.

Much appreciated!
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8361655

One thing to do first is take the known good pc, probably the laptop, unplug the other pc, and check for dropouts in it's original port. If no dropouts, plug it into the other port and check it. If it works ok in either port, you are more likely to have some funky addresses rather than a physical problem.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8361679

Thanks Jerry, I will check that out also.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8361698

Laptop works off the "main computer" via router? Are you using the main computer as some kind of bridge (ICS) for the laptop?

Have you tried resetting the router and the modem? This often fixes problems but the fact that the new computer seems to work fine sounds like some kind of wiring problem or router configuration issue.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8361710

Yes, and we have reset the router and the modem. Thank you for the help, also.

On the network for the new computer it shows all the addresses properly, for all the computers, the router and the modem.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2011 9:44 PM
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2011
3:28 AM

Post #8362040

So the new computer can ping the other computers and vice versa? Sounds like the problem is fixed then.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8362715

No, we're still dropping connection. We just got the new cables and will try that.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8363041

pollyk,

You still haven't answered a question that hcmcdole asked about your setup. I also found your statement a bit "odd":

[quote]My laptop works off the main computer via router.[/quote]

The laptop shouldn't "work off" ANYTHING but the router (with a possible exception, addressed below). Any other pc connected to your network should have no bearing on any other machines on the network. Your connection type was assumed to be "DSL", yet that was never confirmed by you. I try not to "assume" anything, and would rather have the information given. =)

Please clarify that your connection goes as follows.

Highspeed (DSL/Cable) connection comes into the house, and is connected to a modem.
A router is connected to the modem.
A PC tower is connected to the router, via a network cable.
You're connecting the laptop to the router also via a network cable.

OR...

You have a dialup connection that goes to a modem on the "main computer".
A network card in that machine is connected to the router.
The laptop is connected to the router.

(This is the only way I know of, that fits the statement you made, above).

Knowing the specifics of how the machines are (inter)connected is vital to diagnosing the problem.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8363356

[quote="Eggs_Zachtly"]pollyk,

You still haven't answered a question that hcmcdole asked about your setup. I also found your statement a bit "odd":

The laptop shouldn't "work off" ANYTHING but the router (with a possible exception, addressed below). Any other pc connected to your network should have no bearing on any other machines on the network. Your connection type was assumed to be "DSL", yet that was never confirmed by you. I try not to "assume" anything, and would rather have the information given. =)

Please clarify that your connection goes as follows.

Highspeed (DSL/Cable) connection comes into the house, and is connected to a modem.
A router is connected to the modem.
A PC tower is connected to the router, via a network cable.
You're connecting the laptop to the router also via a network cable.

OR...

You have a dialup connection that goes to a modem on the "main computer".
A network card in that machine is connected to the router.
The laptop is connected to the router.

(This is the only way I know of, that fits the statement you made, above).

Knowing the specifics of how the machines are (inter)connected is vital to diagnosing the problem.

[/quote]

The first scenario is correct other than my laptop is wireless.

I obviously mis stated, sorry. I am not very computer savvy.

Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8364924

Thanks, pollyk, that helps a lot. No need to apologize. "Stuff happens" when several people ask questions pertaining to an issue.. =)

Do you (or, have you tried to) assign static IP addresses to each machine?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8364943

Yes, we have. We replaced a cable from the modem to the router yesterday. We called Iyogi yesterday, apparently they are Dell tech support. Either Iyogi or the cable seems to have fixed the problem. We're not 100% positive, but since last night no dropped connection. I'm not sure what Iyogi did.

Thank you for your help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America