Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Greenhouse: Heating a very small greenhouse in the garage

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 7, Views: 185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FeedMeSeymour11
Lewisville, TX

February 10, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8364517

I have a small 36h x 24l x 19w (inches) that I want to put in the unheated garage to start a few seeds. I have the lights setup, but not sure the best (and cheapest) way to provide heat.

Its obviously not a large area to heat and I only need to warm the inside about 10-15 more degrees. I'm thinking a heat lamp bulb in one of those plug in plant lamps would do the trick. I'm extremely hesitant about an electric heater in such a small space, any ideas?

Thanks!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8365002

FeedMe, somewhere here on Daves a person used christmas lights, the small twinkle kind, to heat their small size GH.
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8365712

the most common & efficient is a small heating mat similar to the heaters on water beds
goes under the seed tray
they aren't cheap but you can get them at nursery supply stores & of course on $bay
but one or two very small light bulbs the size used in nite lights will supply a surprising amount of heat
very similar to the bulbs in the older Xmas tree strings
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8365720

I am using rope lights from Lowe's attached to the undersides of my wire matal shelves- they put out a gentle hest.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8366702

I second the idea from Jo. I have some of the rope-type Christmas lights that do a good job of provide a little extra heat. I'm currently using some on my outside faucets during the record cold temperatures we're having in Texas. The lights, coiled around the faucets, covered with a small box, have kept all my faucets clear in single-digit temperatures. The boxes are just warm to the touch. I haven't measured the temperature increase of the string, but bet that it is enough for your greenhouse shelf.

David
FeedMeSeymour11
Lewisville, TX

February 11, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8366809

Thanks y'all, I have some christmas lights in the garage, ill light them up and see what the temperature reads tonight. I might not need them as its decided to already start warming up here!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8367020

FeedMe, I would not use regular Christmas lights- the bulbs could cause hot spots. Rope lights are encased in plastic and barely warm to the touch. Here's one photo of mine- I have since added a second set and they are doing very well.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brandie21
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8372099

I use strands of C60 Christmas lights with clear bulbs. I have been using them for 3 years now with no issues.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America