Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Greenhouse: Heating a very small greenhouse in the garage

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 7, Views: 187
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FeedMeSeymour11
Lewisville, TX

February 10, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8364517

I have a small 36h x 24l x 19w (inches) that I want to put in the unheated garage to start a few seeds. I have the lights setup, but not sure the best (and cheapest) way to provide heat.

Its obviously not a large area to heat and I only need to warm the inside about 10-15 more degrees. I'm thinking a heat lamp bulb in one of those plug in plant lamps would do the trick. I'm extremely hesitant about an electric heater in such a small space, any ideas?

Thanks!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8365002

FeedMe, somewhere here on Daves a person used christmas lights, the small twinkle kind, to heat their small size GH.
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8365712

the most common & efficient is a small heating mat similar to the heaters on water beds
goes under the seed tray
they aren't cheap but you can get them at nursery supply stores & of course on $bay
but one or two very small light bulbs the size used in nite lights will supply a surprising amount of heat
very similar to the bulbs in the older Xmas tree strings
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2011
11:14 PM

Post #8365720

I am using rope lights from Lowe's attached to the undersides of my wire matal shelves- they put out a gentle hest.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8366702

I second the idea from Jo. I have some of the rope-type Christmas lights that do a good job of provide a little extra heat. I'm currently using some on my outside faucets during the record cold temperatures we're having in Texas. The lights, coiled around the faucets, covered with a small box, have kept all my faucets clear in single-digit temperatures. The boxes are just warm to the touch. I haven't measured the temperature increase of the string, but bet that it is enough for your greenhouse shelf.

David
FeedMeSeymour11
Lewisville, TX

February 11, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8366809

Thanks y'all, I have some christmas lights in the garage, ill light them up and see what the temperature reads tonight. I might not need them as its decided to already start warming up here!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8367020

FeedMe, I would not use regular Christmas lights- the bulbs could cause hot spots. Rope lights are encased in plastic and barely warm to the touch. Here's one photo of mine- I have since added a second set and they are doing very well.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brandie21
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8372099

I use strands of C60 Christmas lights with clear bulbs. I have been using them for 3 years now with no issues.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America