Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: House Wrens, House Wren Houses, and Not-For-House-Wrens Houses: Texas Wren

Communities > Forums > Article: House Wrens, House Wren Houses, and Not-For-House-Wrens Houses
bookmark
Forum: Article: House Wrens, House Wren Houses, and Not-For-House-Wrens HousesReplies: 1, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8365100

A couple built a nest in my hanging basket of variegated spider plant on my back porch. There were 5 babies and the parents worked their buns off feeding them and then one day my cat and I watched thru the glass door as the parents coached them in flying lessons. One bird continued to bring food to the chicks like a snack to keep up their energy. They worked all day but the last chick which was smaller than the others still had not grasped the concept. It got dark and he was still on the ground. I still wonder sometimes whether he ever made it or got eaten during the night. This was a fascinating show but at the time I had no way to video it. Wish I had. Enjoyed your article. I have blue jays and mockingbirds and wrens and sparrows and wood peckers and Im inside the inner loop of the city. We also have squirrels, rats the size of squirrels and usually a possum or two. Field mice raid my compost heap for unpopped popcorn kernels and drive my cat batty by sitting just 8 feet away to munch on them. Cam

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8366032

Hi, Thanks for that story of wren chick drama.
I noticed wren chicks peeping out from a house one spring, lots of racket, and then a day later nothing. I guess that was the day they all flew off too.

Isn't it impressive how much wildlife you can get 'inside the city'?
Thanks for reading, and writing.
Sally

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: House Wrens, House Wren Houses, and Not-For-House-Wrens Houses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article Sally! pelletory 4 Aug 15, 2008 9:25 PM
The good, the bad and the poo poo DianeEG 2 Aug 19, 2008 10:05 PM
Thanks for clearing that up wormfood 1 Aug 20, 2008 1:54 AM
Thanks for the informative article! Mima56 1 Aug 22, 2008 6:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America