Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Palms and Cycads: Iguanura spectabilis query

Communities > Forums > Palms and Cycads
bookmark
Forum: Palms and CycadsReplies: 3, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 12, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8367662

Don't know if anyone has any information on this species,seems to be very little on the net. One of my small plants was chewed through by what I believe was a wallaby, One plant just has 2 leaves on the ground and the rest of it is okay. But the plant in question was completely severed above the lower leaves and below the spear. Nothing was eaten, but apparently was tried and failed the taste test.

I think this is a single trunk type, although some Iguanura species are clumpers apparently. I'm just hoping this will reshoot as there's still a couple of leaves left. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of these that might know whether I've definitely lost this one?

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8368244

no one in the mainland US can grow that plant, so you'll have to ask folks who live in Hawaii, or perhaps the Keys... or else the rest of the tropical world.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 12, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8368973

Thanks Geoff, just thought I'd try, hopefully some one from those areas might see this and come up with an answer. There's been no repeat attack since so hopefully the animal understands it's inedible. It could have just asked me and I'd have told it. Anyway, here's hoping the others don't get touched.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 13, 2011
12:35 AM

Post #8369270

For anyone else who might be interested in the answer, I was in our local nursery today and they had some large Iguanura spectabilis in pots, and they had suckers. So looks like I'm in with a chance of not losing my chewed-in-half plant. Fingers crossed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America