Photo by Melody

Poultry and Livestock: serama rainbow of color.

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 139, Views: 629
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 12, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8367959

I thought it would be fun to put some pictures of colors and patterns of the serama on. add your pictures too please as i love to see all the fun colors and patterns they come in.
This is Rose She is various shades of rusty colors

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 12, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8367964

another shot of Rose

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 12, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8367969

This is Bitty. I love her pattern,color and markings!

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 12, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8367974

not as good of a shot of Bitty

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

February 12, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8367980

Rose in the front and Bitty behind her.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8368632

They are beautiful!! I like Bitty's color the best.. :)
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8368940

No way to pick a favorite color, they are both beautiful. I love the seramas!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8369148

They are so beautiful
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 15, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8374255

This is Rusty the Rooster, and his girls. They are Qtip (pure white), Chloe (brown), Prissy (cream n black), and Bit o Honey (creme n Black)... then following in the next pic are my new hatchlings, now two days old. the blonds are all seramas and the black is Modern game.

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 15, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8374264

same five

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 15, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8374269

The hatchlings

Thumbnail by Haystack

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8385428

I should have put this link here instead of my other thread.. This is a great description of colors..
http://www.hamandeggsranch.com/live/animals/poultry/chickens/chickens_bantam/seramas/main.htm
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8385558

S_W I'd love to see more pics of your Seramas.. Can you get some full body shots? I really like that Bitty..

Haystack, that lil white one is really nice!!! What a nice pose!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 21, 2011
8:13 PM

Post #8385570

ZZ's that little white one is from Booker, Thank you, she is beautiful and she is just a year old and barely over a half lb. In fact all four of the girls are under the top weight of the A Class. Rusty is barely into the B Class. That is why I keep them seperated from the rest of my seramas...The girls just love Rusty, he is Dot's son...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8386409

Wow.. that is fantastic Haystack! Booker did good there for sure! Interesting, cause one of my roos has a crooked tail, and he produced a real nice roo and 2 winning pullets.. so some of their lil "faults" (according to some breeders) don't necessarily get passed on.
The lil white one really looks like a winner in that picture.. So cute!!!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8387082

Okay here are my Serama colors, Roos first. This is Copper Jack hes only about 9 months old ( and right now since hes free range and hasnt really met the girls yet , he thinks he is a guinea)

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8387089

Here is Carrot, Copper's brother. Right now he is having his first time "visiting "the girls. So far they seem to like him just fine!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8387096

This is my Gaw-juss "Scruggs", Im rather fond of him. Hes a little camera shy though!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8387101

and this is one of the Butterscotch twins , since he looks just like his brother I wont show him.Oh his name is Sugar Daddy , his brother is Popcorn.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8387104

Hay this is one of the older Hens that I got from John Scruggs, isnt she a beauty! All White. Her name is Mae (West) Ha ha!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8387107

Of course youve already met Chicopea, I love her color!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8387116

This is Tater, She want having anything to do with the camera tonight either!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8387118

and this is Ya Ya!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 22, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8387464

What a colorful flock! I especially like Chicopea too.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 22, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8387520

I must tell you, all chickies are not created equal. Mae West has that perfect U shape from the back of the neck and the tail. She is out standing but each one is so adorable...It is a very difficult thing to sort out their strengths and breed for the best of what you want, due to emotional input...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8387533

Mae is amazing! Wow.. really!

I love Sugar Daddy too.. His color is just yummy.

Scruggs is pretty awesome for wild color.. Everyone knows that makes me weak in the knees.. LOL

All your birds have really good wing set! Seems the roos are all vertical.. very very nice!!
Thank you for the tour.. I loved it!!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 22, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8387545

One thing I would really like to know is how much does Mae weigh. Pictures are very deceiving when it comes to size and weight...Inquiring minds want to know...Hay

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8387819

I have to get a new postage scale, I dropped mine and broke it! But I will say most are very tiny! I think Chickopea is the smallest and then the two young solid white pair I have are going to be even smaller! New scales soon!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8388035

That is so true, and even in real life they are hard to guess... I'm getting much better at it as time goes by. It seems there are some who are small, but "beefy" like lil tanks... those are the ones that mature out of the C class for me.. Then there are those that you pick up and they are NOTHING... not skinny, but just an image not even a chicken! LOL

I weigh mine regularly and record the weights.. or I was, anyway... A mature bird will gain a LOT even if it looks like just fluff!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8388208

So When should you weigh them? Before or after they have eaten!! Sometimes the Crop is fuller so I know that they are carrying undigested feed.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 23, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8388220

I'm not sure that is going to make a noticable change in weight. However I'm no expert. Eufaula I never thought about a mail scale, I was thinking a hospital scale, you probably just saved me some money. What have you paid for a mail scale?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 23, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8389507

I know I'm a pain but: Isn't it true that it's the little things in life that count? Well here is a pic of one of my new seramas. See the little black dot on the very top of its head...Well in the future it's going to be Dot or Dottie. I just used that as an excuse to hi-lite my babie...LOL...Hay

Thumbnail by Haystack

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 23, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8389522

How sweet! Will he/she keep the dot as an adult?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 23, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8389563

I'm not really sure Porkpal, but I sure hope so. I'm going to give a monthly update of that bird and we shall see together. P. S. I just want you to know how much I appreciate you...Hay

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8389746

Haystack Im a spendthrift! I get my scales from the outreach when donated, usually paying only $1.oo , LOL! The one I broke was really a nice one, dropped it as soon as I got home!
I love baby Dot, so sweeeee-eeeet!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 24, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8390064

Sheeeessh, at that price you can almost afford to drop them...I looked at some from office depot and they run around thirty bucks. Thats ok, they should last a very long time just weighing chicks once in a while...I have some fresh eggs to incubate but I don't have any broody chicks either. Guess these will just have to find their way to the breakfast table...Hay
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8407515

Hi everyone,
My camera was down for a while but i got it working again.Here are some more pictures of my flock.I have a few more pictures of bitty also.Thank you all for posting pictures!!!!!!!!! im loving them! keep them comming. this one is a front view of Bitty. she did not want to cooperate tonght so not many good pictures of her true conformation.I love the way she is marked Here is a front view of her white belly!

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8407517

another of Bitty

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8407521

Bitty strutting away in defiance! She was not going to do what i wanted so talk to the tail!

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
10:55 PM

Post #8407537

Ths is Mocha. She is the most beautiful choclate brown with a ring of fire around her neck.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8407539

Another shot of Mocha

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:01 PM

Post #8407540

This is Buttercup.She is very small like Sweet pea.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:03 PM

Post #8407542

Another shot of Buttercup.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:05 PM

Post #8407543

Buttercup.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:09 PM

Post #8407545

This is Fleck. When she was little she had white flecks. Now she just has a few on the back of her head and neck.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:11 PM

Post #8407547

Fleck.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8407548

This is Leo.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8407550

More Leo.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:20 PM

Post #8407551

King of his Kingdom. Leo lost alot of his comb to frostbite before i brought him in however he belives he is hansome as ever.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8407554

This is my lil Sweet pea.She is my smallest so far and absolutly a show off.I think she is just beautiful!

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8407555

Sweetpea.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 4, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8407556

Swwet pea

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 5, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8407822

Beautiful flock! They look like real characters. Thanks for the pictures.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8407927

How adorable! They are darling!

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8407938

I love the proud stance of the Seramas. Your babies are just beautiful!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8407955

All her birds have amazing chests and tail set! Really, that's hard to get if your stock doesn't have it to start with..
I have a roo with enough chest for like 20 seramas, but the babiez are never exact duplicates of the parents, it's such a crap shoot... Ya just never know what your gonna get! I'm working on chest and tail set in my lil group.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8408017

How closely line bred or in bred is safe to do in chickens? In dogs we like to line breed, rarely a tight line breeding like grandfather to granddaughter. But, you REALLY have to know the pedigree and have seen ALL dogs in the pedigree (preferably had your hands on them too and see the "pet" quality spayed/neutered ones in the line as well) so faults aren't doubled up on. Getting a perfect top line isn't so wonderful if it comes with a wry mouth or they're cow hocked or.. or ... or.. Breeding dogs is so different from breeding livestock, we can't eat our mistakes.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 5, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8408126

Some don't mind in breeding, personally I don't do it. However I must admit that that is how Royalty is established. I think their are ways that it can be done with great success but I think a chart should be established in order that it is not taken to far. Without a chart I don't think you can keep track of what your really doing and that means you can't really be successful...I know I had one girl I adored but everything from her line turned out horrible. She herself was beautiful and spunky, while her descendents were always sickly and would die before they reached four months old...Hay
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8408138

Thanks, Hay. I've been looking at breeding stock programs to keep track (I just like things written down) and already have leg bands. Since I don't even own a rooster yet, that I know of, the hens are safe for now LOL I have been reading about rotating roosters in breeding pens, it's interesting.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 5, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8408880

Your so entirely welcome Annie.

SheWolfie, I hope you don't mind if I post a couple pic's of my pheasants? These are a golden red hen, and rooster. Of course we know he Rooster is the pretiest of the two. Doesn't that go without saying...LOL

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 5, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8408885

He isn't mature enough to be full colored. He needs another six months to come into his full color but he is getting very pretty. Here is one more pic.

Thumbnail by Haystack

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8408903

It's hard to believe he'll be even more colorful than he is now. He's very hansome.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 5, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8408965

Annie wait til he comes into full color. They are gorgeous, and I have another doz of them comming in May...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8408969

Wow.. Amazing color already! Good goin Hay!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 5, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8408978

Hi Darling, sure have missed you...Stinker
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8409005

Hay, are the pheasants for yard decoration only or are they for the grill too? Do the girl's - are pheasant girls called hens? - lay eggs regulary like a chicken or seasonaly?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 5, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8409147

Annie I got them for their color, They only lay April - July. But they are prolific layers...They however will not set their eggs unless well camoflauged. I will incubate their eggs unless I get a silkie in time to set them. I have been told they will generally lay about sixty eggs per hen during that four month laying season. That would be an egg every other day. The red golden, and yellow golden are very friendly compared to the other breeds and so I hope to hand raise and handle regularly a couple of them this time to see how tame they can be. I can go into the pen with no problem as long as I move slowly and they just watch me. I have two ladyamherst, and two silvers, plus six more yellow goldens I will be picking up the first of May. I have a few customers that are interested in possibly buying a few each if they see I'm successful with the. This spring I am building a twelve foot X thirty foot avairy for them. I'm having a small pond with continual fresh water comming in and recycling every twenty-four hours, and then a couple three ft high bushes every ten foot for seclusion. Attached to the flight pen will be a coop 12' wide X 8' deep X ten' high. Inside will be three roosts, two nesting boxes and four broken up bales of Hay. The hay will keep them warm and give them something to dig in. The nesting boxes will be on the floor, as they always lay eggs on the floor.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8409199

Wow, sounds like a very well thought out pen and awesome set up, Hay! Can't wait to see pictures of it. They're so beautiful, it'll really be a sight to see them all together.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 6, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8410170

can't help myself, I went out to feed the pheasant and decided to check in their pen as I put feed in the pen and in a container on the ground. Much to my surprise I found my first two pheasant eggs. They are about two thirds the size of the serama eggs. I am truly excited. I did not expect any eggs for about another month...I do not have a setting silkie yet so I will break out the incubator probably about Wednesday of next week...I sure hope they are fertil...Haystack

Thumbnail by Haystack

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 6, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8410277

You display your eggs so elegantly!

Looking forward to the hatch...
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 6, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8410637

Hay if you come to my house I will give you a broody silkie,I keep taking her eggs and she just keeps sitting there
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 6, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8410868

My Dear Green: I'm on my way...LOL...I have been looking for two weeks now for either one or two silkie hens, even on Craigslist, haven't been able to find anything or anybody who has any for sale. I even offered to give a pair of Seramas for one silkie chick...No offers back:o( I love your silkies, those are beautiful pets. I had one and am really sorry I didn't keep her. She wasn't pretty like your and LFJ's though. Are you going to be building soon, I so loved watching you and your hubby last time. I can't wait for spring...Hay This is my white serama (QTIP)She thinks she's the Queen...

Thumbnail by Haystack

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 6, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8410900

What a cute name and she is cute.It will be a couple months before we can even think about building onto to coop,it snowing here right now and calling for 11 to 17 inches of snow before its done.Last winter was so nice and we had an early spring and the year before that two,I guess we were in for an old fashioned winter.I will be taking pictures and posting them when we do build I am so looking forward to that.
Hay try getting a cochin they go broody just like the silkies,maybe one of those would be easier to find.
This message was edited Mar 6, 2011 8:21 PM

This message was edited Mar 6, 2011 8:46 PM
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 7, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8412220

Not as much snow as expected becasue there is a lot of rain and freezing rain mixed in with it.A lot of ice.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 7, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8412782

You live in one of the most beautiful places of the entire United States, but I'm not sure I could cope with your weather enough so I could appreciate it as it deserves to be appreciated...Hay...Ice Rain...just sounds like to much right now...
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 8, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8413875

17 below tonight,beautiful this morning with all the ice on the trees and the sun shine on them.Now its clean up time again!!!!!!!!!!!!!At least there is no wind.About 30 miles north of here they 19 inches of snow.I WANT TO SEE GREEN GRASS.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8413899

Green, I so know the feeling! The only green we're going to see soon is green beer on St. Patricks Day. Your great attitude will carry you through till spring, at least you think the ice is pretty LOL

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8415986

Okay I have a bit of news for the Serama color ...Miss Chicopea is setting!!!! Yaaaay!! She not only surprised me with laying her own regular sized eggies instead of the little marbles , she had been laying, but shes allowing Mae West and Sweet Tater to add to the clutch!
I had waited for one of the girls to set ,when I discovered they were laying again , but for a month , no one took up the challenge, so I removed all but two eggs and put them in the incubator last weekend. Well wouldnt you know it , chicopea decided it was time!! I havent disturbed her to find out how many are under her so it will be a surprise in about two weeks!!!! We gonna get some Color!!!!!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8416154

WhooHoo, Eufaula, how exciting!! When you think about it 21 days is not long at all - but waiting for a hatch it seems like 21 days is forever. Can't wait to see pics of the new babies and am counting the days with you!! I think we're both going to have a hatch close to the same day. The bator is full and lock down in on the 21st. More fuzzy butts...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8416350

Cool... My Tina has been on eggs and it seems like she has just been on them forever! I think it's a trick... About the time I quit looking, there will be babiez.. so I quit.. Does that make it official? So today will be the day? I mean, come on!!!!!!!

:)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8416457

Well for Seramas its only 18 days! So Im thinking , if Chickopea is on her schedule, she started setting 2 or 3 days ago for certain, that leaves about 15 days!!! Im sooo excited! Plus the babies in the incu...but Im just not sure about this batch! Im having a lot of electrical fluctuations and brown out s for some reason and the temp in the the incu keeps bouncing. If they survive I should have at least 8 from it, about 3 days before Chickopeas brood.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2011 12:50 PM
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8416462

Don't jynx them Eufaula!!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8416467

No jinxs here! I have crossed fingers, toes, legs and eyes!!!! LOL!!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 9, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8416641

Eufaula, don't forget I'm rooting for your hatch also...What fun it is...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8416661

Just "funnin" ya.. I'm such a stickler about not counting.. or countin ON anything.. You know Murphy's law!!

I'm rootin for your hatch too.. and staying very positive about it!! Murphy can go dig a hole for all I care! :)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8416669

I know Guys!!!! Thanks a bunch!! It means a lot just knowing you all are there for each of us! We are our own "breed" of people! Trying to learn the right thing to do and getting used to good days and bad, goof ups and miraculous hatches, we stick together!!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8417092

No babiez here yet.. but I think there are like 15 eggs now! I also think Tina's sister traded places with her.. Tina was out struttin around and the sister is in there on the eggs! I hope so, cause maby she will stop laying now and hatch something!

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 9, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8417113

I think that is so cool when they co-hatch the babies. I remember Murph, and cinnamon doing that...

I'm tellin Murph what you said ZZ's about go diggin a hole...Bad girl...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8417174

Oh Gawd... Not that Murphy!! The idiot that made Murphy's law!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8417295

Only 18 days? I guess that can seem like and eternity too LOL
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8417447

Yeah, those Serama chicks can pop out early.. wish they would here.. LOL I am getting impatient.. :)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8417833

Yep, only 18 days !! Its about the only span of time that seems to have slowed down for me. You know how it is, the older you get the faster time goes...EXCEPT for waiting on new babies to hatch!!!!
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 10, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8418136

omg! Im so excited for all of you! My girls quit laying for me wouldent you know i sold most of the eggs on ebay lol! I do have a few in the bator tho.I have one m sure was out of the brown hen Mocha. it is due on the 18th as well as a few of my new black langshans!I wish my girls would have gone broody as i have 10 + frizzle seram eggs at the post office now. I will be waiting on pins and needles to see those adorible chicks as you guys hatch them! Im rooting for you all.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8422581

Hay
here are a couple of books you might like, they have a lot of info on raising pheasants and ducks and they are also funny
by Iain Grahame
"Ruffled feathers"
""Flying Feathers"
Also this one that I have not read yet "Blood pheasant: A Himalayan adventure""
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 12, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8422732

Hi Wren! Are you a pheasant person?

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8422748

I love birds of any form but as I live in a city that does not allow "farm" animals in it I gave to enjoy y'all and the wild ones.
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 14, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8427346

Hello everyone!
Im shakin my tailfeathers and doin the happy dance. I had a serama hatch today out of my Mocha. I cought the egg right from the factory and labled it so i knew for sure was her chick! I have a few more Seramas in the bator with my langshan's and cream Brabanters. This could be an exciting week!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 14, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8427462

Hi Wren: Where the dickens have you been? We sure have missed you. How is that Devil dog puppy of your's...LOL. My goodnes we really have missed you as well as some of the others. Where have you been, we need a full report...LOL...I have one book of pheasant and recently subscribed to a pheasant magazine...Hay.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8427482

I have been around. Spending a lot of time reading books on my Kindle.
The demon child is still being a brat
Spring is here and we have been sitting out side on the carport.
I am having a lot of problems with my knees and ankles, so have hired the teen who lives next door to do my gardening.
Have been spending part of my time on the other site.
I have read some of y'all posting but had nothing to add.
I think you would like the 2 books that I posted about. The Author raised ducks, pheasant, and pot bellied pigs and it is also very funny.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 14, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8427757

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into those books...P.S. Have you been in contact with Roseane (miss Jester)? We have not heard from her for so long, we have all wondered how she and little Billy are doing...Hay

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8427875

Yes I talk to her on Face book

they are fine I will let them know that y'all asked about them
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 15, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8428043

Tell her we miss her here.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8428452

Talked to Miss J, her work blocked DG on her computer. She says as soon as she cracks the code she will be back
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8429375

Hi everyone,
I have 3 new serama babies today.2 black with white wundersides. One of those is out of my chocolate hen.I als have the most beautiful chocolate!!! im so happy i have been wanting more chocoate but this is the 1st i have hatched.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8429391

ZZ im dieing to see your newest lil baby too. Here is another pic of mine.The black with the light color legs is out of my brown hen.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8429394

This is the lil chocolate chick its darker than this picture looks.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8429402

This is another shot of the chocolate.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8429414

This pic i tossed in for pork pal. This is a lil hereford piglet im trying to hand raise.She was the runt out of a litter of 14. She will be 3 weeks on friday.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8429419

another shot.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

March 15, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8429461

SheWolfie, I have two questions for you, If this chocolate baby is your first one your hatched, where did you get one to start with? My second question is do you know who the father of the chocolate baby is and what colors is he.

Also were you aware the APA/ABA has certified the pure white Serama. I'm letting you know because you are doing the serama thing and you need to read my thread YEAH...Hay
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 15, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8429595

Cute chicks and cute piglet! I hand raised one of my sows; she grew up to be a tyrant and would attack anyone except me - usually. She was very cute as a piglet and the world was her oyster!

Is the piglet a birthday present?

This message was edited Mar 15, 2011 9:53 PM
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
9:26 PM

Post #8429636

HAY ..The father is LEO pictured above. Im not sure what hen that egg was from tho.The lil black and white one with the light legs and comb is out of the brown hen Mocha and Leo. That egg i had marked. Mocha came with a bunch i bought from a breeder at a livestock sale in Kankakee iIllinois.I also had a solid chocolate hen in that group I bought but i lost her over the winter.Leo came from a mixed batch of eggs so Im not sure who his parents were but i had the jerry pair and the mixed group of hens and a rooster that looked like Leo. So it could be any combanation between those 2 roosters and i belive like 7 hens. This is the 1st Chocolate chick i have ever gotten from my flock.Right now the chocolate chick looks like it has the shortest back of all 3 but i know they change alot between now and adult.I just hope it stays a chocolate.
Here is a picture of Leo the father of all 3 of these chicks.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8429643

another shot of LEO. He lost his comb tips to frostbite.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8429646

This is Mocha. She and leo produced the black chick with the light legs. That was the only egg i was sure who laid it so it was marked.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8429651

As soon as they are big enough i will band these chicks as Leo's chicks and also mark the band on the chick i know is mocha and leo's for future breeding.I will also mark all the adults that i bought from that breeder in Kankakee. I am going to look for her again when i go this year to that sale.Her line was also supposed to carry a frizzle gene but i havent gotten any frizzle yet. I do however have 22 frizzle serama eggs in the bator right now from 2 diffrent breeders. I bought them on ebay.I just hope i get some to hatch so i can get more frizzle into the line. I also have the 4 eggs from one breeder in a diffrent bater than the 18 from the other breeder so i can band them corectly as to the breeder they came from. I hope to have all of my seramas banded and a file with pictures of each bird done buy this summer. I am going to focus on wing set for roos this year and hopfully everything will continue to fall together.I waited so long to finally get enough birds to really breed what im looking for.I want so badly to start showing but really dont have any experience showing poultry or if the Serama can be shown at any poultry show or if it has to be a serama specialy show.Im still chcecking into things.
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8429666

Pork the pig was just a baby i couldnet let die.I went to a farm to trade out a few chickens and they had had a litter of 14 piglets the night before.They said the 2 runts would probly die but if i wanted to try to save them i could take them.I did loose the male at 12 days old he got a bacterial infection and went down in a day by the time he went down i was at the vet within an hour and i still lost him.But we got the female on pro biotic and a better formula along with an antiboitic and she is gaining well now so i think she will make it. I hope anyway as i have named her Twinkie and made her rotten.She thinks i am her sow and wants only me but i have been making everyone hold her to try and get her to calm down when someone else has her. She is improving but definaly wants me most of the time. I hope she ends up easy to handle cause i want to make a pet out of her and breed her for future bacon.I know she might get as big as 800# so im trying my best to keep her easy to work with.
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 15, 2011

Post #8429669

Hay can you send me a link to your thred so i can make sure to read it.I am trying to learn as much as i can to breed for what im looking for. I dont own any white yet but i sure do hope to.The frizzles i have in the bator are out of lots of colorful seramas. I am like ZZ as far as loving the speckled and oddly colored but i do love the solid chocolate also.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8430166

SHE... I think that brown and black one is your future chocolate mix roo... My guess on the pure chocolate is pullet...

Oh man, no one even knows how much I love pigs.. LOL
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 17, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8433667

Yes ZZ i will keep that chick eather way.I think it s a roo also.The other 2 both have tiny li combs compaird to the mocha/Leo chick. I was looking at the egg shell color and size i think the chocolate chick is out of them too. I have 4 new serama eggs out of a batch i won on e bay for 3 serama 3 frizzle cochin and 3 silkie. They are due to hatch on the 23 rd. so far all 4 of those serama eggs are looking good. Then the fizzle batch of serama's i got from a diffrent breeder are not due until april 1st. I need to candle that batch still to see whats looking good. A friend of mine hatched one of my serama eggs about a month ago. We think that might be a roo also.Im finally getting it down to hatch these tiny lil seramas as my hatches are much better. Tonight i have 4 ameracana hatching ad sat and sunday Langshans,black copper marans, and OMG i can hardly wait... The cream brabanters. I absolutly love the color and look of that rare breed.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8434313

About the only way I can tell with Seramas is at hatch time.. if the lil comb is folded.. it's a roo. Your photo is perfect.. shows the lil folded tiny comb.. They are darling! I can't wait to see how they color out... Chocolate has such great possibilities for wild color!
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 20, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8439513

I had another Serama hatch today im waiting for it to dry looks almost blue right now.Do seramas come in blue? Ive never seen one but Blue is one of my favorite colors. I also had one black copper marans hatch along with 2 blue langshans so far. I have one brabanter trying to hatch too but i think the air cell is sideways in that egg so i hope it can hatch. Its piped anyway. still waiting for more pippege in the bator.Ill post another thread on those new babies when i have more hatch.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8441560

Sure is blue!
http://www.ovabid.com/detail.asp?id=1184&pic=2#img

edited to add... I just found that in a search.. Apparently, they are not for sale... Seems the guy she got them from (Jeff Sumner) has worked on the blue color for a long time.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2011 4:33 PM
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8441976

The duck on that page is so beautiful and perfect he/she doesn't even look real!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8448021

I saw this little serama on an auction and at first didn't think much of her, but on second look she does have some nice colors. Was wondering what you serama people, would think of her. She stands up real pretty. Look at that beak in the air.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=467799
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8449379

I love the color! See how a good picture can make a world of difference? In one picture, she has really nice vertical wings.. but on the scale, shows that was just a pose.. I know pullets lack vertical wings in most cases.. it's hard to get good vertical wings, and she is better than the pigeon look I've seen a lot of..

Not to knock her too much.. The color is amazing.. She has a funky comb. LOL

11.6 ounces at 6 months is not considered A class.. She is a pullet, they are not classed till they are mature. So that is something to consider..
Also, aren't white earlobes a disqualification?
Can't really tell how short her legs are..

The color just makes me drool, but she would have to be a LOT more impressive for me to spend that much.

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8449495

Thanks for the comments. I would never have noticed the white earlobes. Just saw her and thought she was kind of spunky and pretty.

Even though I put my silkies in that show, I have never read the qualifications for the silkies, much less the seramas.

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8449704

I'm not an expert, by any means.. I do enjoy building an "eye" for Serama qualities like I had for horses. I learned a lot of my stuff from looking at the results on cages at the shows. I read the "notes" the judge put on the tags.. Like "beak needs trim" or "comb" whatever.. that just stuck in my mind more than a long list of standards.. I look at the bird, and then see what the judge was talking about... something I didn't see before, even though I've read the standards a zillion times..

Actually Seramas are marked down for really short legs, which is weird, cause they are so tiny.. but oh well!!

I don't know much about Silkies.. :)
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8450373

Neither do I.
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 25, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8450525

Ok here are my 3 new Serama out of ebay eggs. The black one looks like a lil penguin.I think there might be one white and one white with mabie a grey color like my lil sweet pea.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 25, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8450530

This is another shot with the 2 white color ones

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 25, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8450538

Does anyone know what color these silkie chicks will be? I think one is a lavender and one might be a porcelain?This pic is not as good but it shows the true color better.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 25, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8450543

This is another of the silkies.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 25, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8450557

This is another shot of the lil Penguin serama with the specticals. It has little circles of yellow around its eyes.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8450570

They are so cute, and must be so tiny. Congrats She W.

I wanted to ask Z, about Old English chickens. I saw some on an auction today, ovabid, and it seems to me they have very similar confirmation as the seramas. Is that right? I've always liked the OE, not sure why. It could just be the name of them, Old English, that makes me think they are very special.

We know ALL chickens are special though.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8450694

What color were the parents of those silkies? They sure are cute, and that one has some hints of color that is interesting.
That Serama "Penguin" baby is so cute!! Love the lil specs.. :)

LFJ, Old English are tiny, but not really close to Serama. Seramas have vertical wings and very short backs with big chests. The OEGs have longer backs,a lower tail set and not vertical wings.
Some Serama breeders have Seramas that are getting to look more like OEG than Serama.. which I don't care for.. I like the true Serama look.
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 25, 2011

Post #8450719

ZZ
I dont know if you can see this since it is an ended sale but here is the link to the sale i won with pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250774471921&si=Jha2U0HEa92su5DxzUZoaf6tutc%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 25, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8450722

Thats where all of these chicks came from. I had 3 serama,2 silkie and 2 frizzle cochin hatch from the 10 eggs she sent.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8451430

Well, the seller claims they are all white... but the pictures show a lot of different colors!
SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

March 26, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8451477

Yeah and when i asked her what colors she gets she said black blue white and partridge. but these are lighter then blue.Here pictures look like lavender.I guess ill have to wait to see but im sticking with lavender and porcalein.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8452072

Aww, they're so cute!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America