Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Apropos of Nothing v.21

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 297, Views: 2,555
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2011
2:24 AM

Post #8369289

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1137888/

This thread can't be derailed because there's no topic. HA!

WARNING- there may be discussion of guns, tattoos, pest removal or other potentially 'horrifying' subjects. If you can't handle that, this is not the thread for you. Disagreeing about a subject is okay, flaming people is not.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys. Sorry I kinda jumped ship. Nothing to say lately. :-/

Thumbnail by the1pony
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 13, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8369776

No worries Pony - this is the time of year to hibernate a bit. My favorite kind of day this winter has been to hunker down by the fireplace and read, or cook something savory and delicious. I haven't had much to say, either. Soon we will all emerge from our beds just like the plants in our gardens.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8370170

Cute kitty pic.
the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8370474

Yeah, I've definitely been hibernating. Going through lots of books, and spending waaaay too much time playing a game on Facebook. heh. Lots of tulips, daffodils and daylilies sending up shoots in the garden, but I haven't been able to work up any enthusiasm over it yet.

Thanks, WIllow- that's Henry. That shot is pretty much my typical view of my lap when I'm in my chair... hehe.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8372024

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

*smooooooooch*
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 21, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8384438

Well I almost died again. This time in the waters of Wrangell Narrows. While taking winter tarps off my boat I slipped and fell head first into the 39F water deep. It was dark and I started swimming, but realized that I did not know what way was up. So I blew a bubble and it went off to the left so I swam in that direction and surfaced in an open slip. The docks are quite high and I could not get out because I had last month taken off my boarding ladder and at the end of the pier no beach near enough to swim. After attempting to climb dock, boat lines, and pulling on hose that broke I started yelling for help. It finally came but as they hauled me out and started stripping me to wrap in blankets I passed out. Woke up in hospital shivering and was glad to be alive. My core temp went to 90F and still I lived. The interesting thing is Paramedics are volunteer and it takes quite a while to get them on site but not for me because they were basically at the end of the block of the marina and were studying (guess what?) cold water immersion rescue. So they had the IV bags warmed and ready as they ran out to rescue me.
The following days I had 50 or more people, some I don't know stop and thank me for the story because they were glad they still had a vet and a few who had lost friends that way and wondered why they hadn't surfaced after falling in. Most people assumed they inhaled when they hit the water due to the shock, but I told them the reflex is to start swimming and I if not thinking would have swum "down" not up if I hadn't waited to gather my thoughts.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8384497

What an awful story, but I'm so glad you kept your wits about you. I would never have thought to blow a bubble to help me get my bearings. Thank heavens you were rescued and are okay.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8384537

wow, Steve! So grateful your angels were working the scene there! (For the paramedics to be right there, with all the correct equipment, that is pretty darn wonderful) And grateful also for your own survival skills and presence of mind.

I'm mighty glad you're still with us.

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8384594

Yikes! Another great story to pass on to your grandkids, luckily.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8384637

Steve!!!!! So glad you came out of that one alive!!! I guess the paramedics got on-site, real life experience training with that one. I know it makes for a great story, but you just cannot go and die on your daughter when she is going through so much keeping her daughter alive right now. So be careful. Sorry for the lecture, but my heart just fell into my shoes reading about your harrowing experience.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8384748

I'm right there with you, MHF. I got a sinking feeling. But, our GOD IS GOOD!!! all the time. So glad the drill was near you and they were ready to help with the warmed IV, etc...
We ( my DH and I) would love to meet you this summer if you are home when we are working our way home.
I'm hoping to have a more deifinte time that we will be in OR and WA so I can meet as many of you PNWers as possible.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8384999

Thank God you are alive. I bet your wife does not want you out on any more boats, especially alone. You are very brave.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8385003

Glad you are Ok and will be able to see your GD soon. Take care!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8385089

Also very happy to hear you made it out of a very tight spot. As we get older we should not do anything slightly dangerous without a companion. And never go on your boat again without having your ladder out and a life vest on. I've never met you but I do like your character and your life. It needs you alive.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 21, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8385430

I bet his wife just rolled her eyes back in her head and thought "what's he up to now..."
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8386241

OMG, Steve! I can't begin to tell you how happy we are to still have you with us. Not to lecture or anything, but speaking from experience, guys are not indestructable after all. Please take care of yourself for your family and for all of us.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8387026

Steve, my advice to you is to stop being so $%^## helpful to everyone else that you put yourself in that kind of danger! What were you thinking trying to 'help' the paramedics learn cold water immersion techniques by sacrificing yourself?? (Yes, I know you didn't consciously know they were there. I didn't miss that part.) Your guardian angels are working overtime with you. I am so glad you are safe and you have the instinct to survive. Brilliant bubble trick.

PS: Mike says he's glad you are safe, too.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2011 9:30 PM
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8389004

Great day. My great nephew Gabriel was born. 5 lbs 12 oz. Little like his 4'10 mommy! ;)

This message was edited Feb 24, 2011 11:56 AM
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8389047

Congratulations!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8389457

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkfsk.org%2F&ei=59plTbScI4O78gbZ15SKCw&usg=AFQjCNEtQNo8y5T7jhDIZpHx5nytLEOhIQ Story is here on NPR radio Petersburg. Scroll down on left to Petersburg news: Man saved etc.
Congrats Bea!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2011
4:00 AM

Post #8389659

That's so cool, that it's on NPR! I still think you shouldn't go solo anymore, though.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8390082

I live aboard my boat so I would have to get me a mistress to share my bunk. The only trouble is I love my wife and she might be upset with my "partner". LOL
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 24, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8390089

Get a rescue dog! One that can swim!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 24, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8390090

Get a rescue dog! One that can swim!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8390121

No dog can get up on the docks either. Though maybe a sealion to throw me up when I fall in. I have one who kind of likes me. She bumps the boat every time she is near and I am on the boat. Her name is Thelma.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8390140

Son of a gun. I didn't catch at first that you fell into the drink in Petersburg, ALASKA. I went out to listen to the radio broadcast and then saw the banner. So very glad you are okay.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8390160

Jan, keep us posted on your plans to visit the PNW. I wouldn't be surprised if we could arrange a little get-together while you are here so that we all can meet. So far threre are no round-up (rendevous!) plans for this year.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 24, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8390231

Don't kid yourself - Thelma wants to have you for dinner.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 24, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8390236

Portland is covered with snow.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8390263

Uh. but you won't be in May. You guys have gorgeous weather. Almost too hot for me, but end of May should be okay. And the iris and peonies are blooming. Schreiner's and Adelman's -- here I come!! Have wanted to do this for years. Actually would like to spend about two weeks touring the Washington and Oregon Nurseries allowing for the fact that things bloom at different times. Even with the peonies, trees, herbaceous and intersectionals seems to pop off at different times.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8390445

Definitely, Sharon. My dad's cousin is in Sumner, WA so we will be there after we stay in Portland for a while. I will need to add on some extra days to see DGers. I am so hoping to find a few of you guys home and not on vacation.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8390538

Julie, Lynn, and I are less than 10 miles from Sumner. We seldom vacation in the summer for more than a weekend at a time as we love our worlds that time of year.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8390734

I estimated we would be in Portland through the 4th of July so sometime after that. Would a Sat. or Sunday be better do you think?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8391223

Heard your broadcast Steve. Very cool, no pun intended! I think you can continue to go solo, as long as you stop at 1 beer! Great idea to have a deep boarding ladder. that makes all kinds of sense.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8391366

Thelma always comes by eating halibut in front of me and smirks. I think she is trying to make me jump in and get the ones below my boat. I have no longer considered that invitation. I got to see a albino killer whale in a pod last week in Wrangell narrows just outside of the boat. I suppose being all white is no problem being a killer whale, after all who eats killers in cold water. No Great whites up here. I suppose there is some racial slurrs towards him though.
Yes Melissa get a ladder that extends at least 12" into the water. No way to lift your legs when your body is numb (5 min max) Tomorrow I finish my ladder here at home and take it up to the boat next trip in 2 weeks. I also bought an expensive GPS chart because with the fog and the wind you need to KNOW where you are. It tells me everything in unknown waters and I have all my routes loaded already. I already have Radar, Depth, and with the GPS I have speed and currents. Kind of cool. Oh yes and I am bidding on a Gumby Suit (immersion suit) on Ebay now. Fitswright is a good one. Then I can float for up to 12 hours in it before I freeze again.
Jan there is a great nursery near Summner. I visit it every trip, it is called Watsons. I have a West Marine, BMW motorcycle dealer, and nursery all within a few miles of tacoma dome.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8391906

Thanks, Steve, for the info.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8391936

Jan, I talked to Julie yesterday and we think that maybe planning a DG get-together here in South Prairie the Saturday after the 4th of July might work. Maybe an afternoon potluck bbq or some such. Keep that in mind and we can work that direction as time gets closer.

Yes, Steve, Watsons in Puyallup is our favorite nursery, too. The Windmill, which is in Sumner seems to have gone down hill a bit, though their spring display of blooming bulbs is still very nice.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8391946

OOOHHH, something like that sounds great, Sharon.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8392277

Sofer, Good to hear of your new possessions for the boat.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8392514

I'm very glad you didn't turn into a Sofer-sickle or Soferberg. You don't look ice-ish!

>> Thelma always comes by eating halibut in front of me and smirks.

I think my cat does something similar. When he wants me to follow him, he makes sure I see him, then he RUNS off as if chaisng a mouse.

I'm guessing that lazy predators only run when they are chasing food, and other predators know to follow them so as to share the bounty.

"Hey there, big boy! Lookit what I'm eating .. lots more fish in the sea ... jump in, maybe I'll share.
Or maybe I'm still hungry and you look tender!"

Is that Gumby suit tooth-proof?

Corey

Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 25, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8392990

Deep thought Rick. LOL Gumby suits are tooth proof up to 1/2 inch penetration. So Killer whales, Shark, and Walrus are still a concern. The sealion is the only animal to attack me. I was in my kayak and it threw me out by lifing my stern about 5 feet. I was in its territory while salmon were piled up at the mouth of the Snohomish R in front of Everett. I was watching killer whales feeding about 1/4 mile away. I was ready to leave when they came near and "WHAM" I am out of my kayak as it is hitting the water next to me. Freaked out thinking a killer was attacking I lunged back into the kayak and paddled like a mad man for the small sand bar outside the harbor. Then is when I saw the bull sealion barking at me and my beached kayak. Adrenaline was pumping. Since then I have tried heavy paddle slaps to deter them from being aggressive. It has worked many times and they sound rather than slap their flippers and charge. Thelma and I have gone through this many times when I paddle the harbor. She must like to be slapped, (poor joke), cause she continually swims by as she eats tons of halibut and cod with the funny stare she has.
I like you summation on cats. I have always thought that they like you to watch them feed, it lessens your social level to watch and I assumed they bolted when I moved in close threatening domination.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8393019

Great photo. Is the one on the right a padaung cat - working on elongating his/her neck?
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8393752

Julie and Sharon, I will be glad to help out, or have the event here, whichever you prefer.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 26, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8393822

Oh another chance to meet more of you! I hope my work schedule allows me to attend!

Sofer, are you thawed out yet?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8394136

Oh, and Judi, I hope I can sit on your front porch with you, or take Koka for a walk around the block.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8394206

Judi, Julie and I are both wanting to meet you, you know! This is starting to sound like lots of fun. Steve, can you plan to be in the area that weekend? With Karen?
Now we have to figure out how to get Laurie here...
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8394608

Steve, whenever my dh complains that I do too many crazy things outside of his line of vision, all I will ever have to do is to bring up the threads with your experiences and he will leave me alone.
The gumby suit sounds great but I hear they are a little like birth control: they work only if you are currently using them. So I hope that means you will be using your gumby suit whenever you are on your boat?
We have a ladder that folds down into the water a good two feet. It would help only if the person could reach it and it was folded down. Fortunately, our docks in Tacoma have safety ladders. Wish they had those up in your neck of the woods. Seems like they would be a good investment.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8401063

Well, my back surgery is scheduled for March 22. I guess I won't be doing a lot of gardening this spring. I also have to see an orthopedic surgeon for my knees this month. Between that and the Parkinson's , just call me Humpty Dumpty. I need some good cheese right now to go with my wine.

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8401146

Hang in there Lynn. Hugs and flowers to you.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8401323

Yes, hang in there girlfriend.

What kind of wine?
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 1, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8401552

Oh, Lynn Take care!!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 1, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8401630

If you are a Humpdy your not a dumpty but rather Umpdy. I know now at my age how the physical limitations could bring you down...BUT...each one is an opportunity to be able to kick Joey higher in the butt. After all now you are married and most of we men need that. I will pray for you to be encouraged with each battle. Be Loved by me when you think of the garden. We are just a phone call away.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8401651

Gees Steve thanks for surviving...I guess you being on the radio and all makes you famous!
Good luck to you Lynn! Hopefully relief is in sight.
Thank you PNWMountainGirl for dunking my head in the seed box and waking me up, Sorta. Ha
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8401836

I'm excited - I'm meeting Greenhouse Gal for lunch today , after I stop and pick up some seeds at a farm supply store. Woohoo!!! I'm going to try putting in some peas soon. Usually St. Patrick's Day is the target, but I'm going to stretch it some. We get sooooo hot near harvest time that they suffer.

I have been unleashed - Friday a friend and I are making lunch for a couple of elderly ladies in our church. We'll enjoy the sweet fellowhip of these wise women. I want to do more of these types of things - that's why I don't want to go back to work.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 2, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8402276

You are so fortunate to receive the smiles of joy and appreciation for the visits with the elderly. I stopped in Borders to talk to a woman in her 90's. She lit right up and never stopped smiling as we conversed with simple weather, children, and garden talk. The universal interest of all of us. In Church I value the mentors in my church who give me rich to the point useful walk/talk about Christ.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8403766

Gardening and children definitely provide a common interest for so many people to understand and care about, and a common language to comminicate. It's all about hope in living and growing.

Lynn, you are a generous person and beautiful soul who deserves a break from all this physical challenge. I hope you are letting others take care of you too, at least some of the time. Good luck with your surgery, that it makes a positive difference in the long run, Backs and knees are both critical, so be sure you give yourself plenty of recuperation time. Your plants will live even if you can't baby them for a time, maybe even they will be stronger for a bit of independence.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 3, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8404474

I would get one of those electric chairs so you don't over do it when you get spring fever. Have Joey mug a person who has one and pull it home with his Harley! LOL Then you can make it a little more garden useful.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8407359

That is way too funny.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8407373

Lynn, I can SO picture you on this machine...!!!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8407423

Is that based on one of the new Army unmaned ground vehicles? If you mounted flamethrowers and machine guns on it, I would rent it to combat the Slug Army.

Maybe ducks would work better on slugs, but that looks FUN! I wonder how many miles per amp-hour it gets.

VROOM! VROOM!

Corey
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8414542

If Lynn gets one of those machines, I will make her a crown to wear.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

March 8, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8414597

LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8415330

With fancy aluminum foil on it somewhere? That would be everso pretty!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 8, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8415632

Oh goodness don't start that again!
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8415719

But making those aluminum hats was the most fun I'd had in a while. Besides, Lynn deserves a crown.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2011
4:14 AM

Post #8415903

heehee
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 9, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8416268

Well why don't we change it to bikinis to make it interesting. Then we can have a round-up to show off like the hats. LOL Or other clothing.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8416331

Yikes, that is one scary photo. I have 'fear of aluminum' so would have to opt out of that one. My mom had Alzheimer's and I buy into all the prevention theories, figuring most can't hurt and some may be right.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 9, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8416416

Looking for some advice!! Breck's sent me a catalog with an offer of 25.00 free no strings. Has any one ordered from them. The watch dog rating is not so good but free plants. This sounds like one of the deals that is to good to be true. With there rating results I would usually pass. Shoud I listen to my inter voice and not waist my time.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8416607

I have ordered bulbs of many types and have had success with Brecks. That's my 2 cents worth.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8416610

Seems like when I've ordered from them their stuff just didn't do well. I wouldn't waste my time.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8416845

I often take advantage of the Breck $25 free stuff if you buy $25 worth of stuff -- it's all been good. In general I don't get tulips to return but I think that is from underground creatures rather than quality of stock. For that reason, tulips are not my favorite. Plus I'm so close to the Skagit Flats I can get my fix of massive tulip displays by just taking a drive in early spring. Wonder how they keep the critters from eating their bulbs?
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 9, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8416892

I think they just have sooooo many the critters get there fill.

I was going to order plants like a few Tall phlox Sherbet Drink and Jade.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8419342

Well I just wanted you to see how a dead tree is a big asset in a garden. This is just a few of the thousands of birds that visit the snag every day. I had 4 pileated woodpeckers on the tree at one time yesterday. Oh yea and 3 pheasants waiting at the bottom for more seed.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8419462

I've always been a fan of 'pecker-trees' and you have taken it to new heights. Bravo.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2011
3:22 AM

Post #8419645

We have a lot of old, dead trees riddled with woodpecker holes in our woods, but we don't have pileated here, just red-bellied and sapsuckers and downies.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

March 13, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8424145

I'm having trouble going through the motions of everyday living these past few days. I rush to the market because I need one special ingredient for a dish I'm making, then I remember that people in Japan are suffering so much. I talk to my grandchildren on the phone, and I remember that children were swept away by rushing waters. Thinking about gardens is just too much.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8424205

But suspending your life isn't going to change that, Judi. There are tragedies going on all around us every day; we just don't hear about most of them. I think we need to go about our lives, helping where we can, but not refusing to enjoy our families and gardens when that won't do any good anyway. Just my take on it.
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8424245

Gardening is a good way for me to sort out all the stuff that is going on both in my life and anywhere else my thoughts wander.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8424318

My best gardening season was the year following the death of my friend/coworker/boss - good solace.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2011 2:40 PM
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8424633

Losing someone I love usually makes me start a project or finish one that is somehow connected to that person. Makes me feel much better and closer to that person.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8424711

There was a period when we couldn't see our oldest granddaughter for a while. I compensated by painting a portrait of her!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8426617

Said Bon Voyage to my boy today. He didn't have to check his backpack, wait in a long line to check in or to go through security, breezed through security without being felt up or exposed to unknown amounts of radiation, and left from a gate really close to the security line. An auspicious beginning, to be sure. His sister went with us to the airport and we all three hugged him with tears streaming down our cheeks. We're happy for him, sad to see him go for us. He'll have a terrific time.

Judy, it's hard to be focused on our lives when we sit with the enormity of Japan, or New Zealand, or any of the other places that have suffered enormous tragedy in the past years. I have to minimize my exposure to the news or I perseverate on it too much. I've been spending way too much time reading about the uprisings in the Middle East, and now the earthquake, etc in Japan. I'm going to limit myself to once a day to keep abreast and then go about my business as much as possible. And take solace in the garden this year.

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8426872

My daughter went to England on her first trip all alone for three weeks. No plans for where she was going. Got stuck out at Stonehenge after the last bus left and had to walk miles before finding a place she could stay. Years later she and two friends went on a tour of Europe. Got off a train in the middle of the night with no place to stay in East Germany (after the wall came down). No one spoke german but they finally found a place to stay. Almost drove off a cliff in southern Spain a couple of years ago. So even daughters aren't safe. She travels every year now. Since I gave her my car and sent her off to Monmouth OR to college thirty-some yers ago, I just let it be.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2011
11:54 PM

Post #8427769

Ah, this is a woman who travels like I used to. No plans, just go. I'm a little better than that now, but not much. When my daughter was young, we used to camp a lot (that was before you had to have reservations at all the parks). We'd just get in the car and go. I probably wouldn't do that now just because I like to know I have a bed to sleep in, and have a reasonable idea that the bed will be clean and comfortable. I think that's one reason I like our boat so much. We can almost always find a place to anchor without any kind of reservation, and the bed is mine so I know it well.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2011

Post #8428344

When the boys were young we used to camp on an alternating basis - one night in a campground, the next in the hills somewhere. The dang green gates have put a stop to that, and we don't/can't plan ahead long enough for reservations. Hence our little 8' camper rather than tenting it anymore. We can still 'make do' or utilize an RV park (my least favorite). We don't care about hookups and prefer tent sites if we are lucky enough to get in to an actual campground. I understand the convenience of reservations but wish the Washington parks would leave more spots available on a first-come basis for the vagabond travelers. Our latest approach is to go camping in the off season and/or midweek. This is in December out near Sequim - pretty crowded.

Thumbnail by bonehead

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8428799

We are of one mind on this. I know people who make reservations up to a year in advance to get a spot. Bah. Forget it. Sounds like your attitude with the camper is just like ours with the boat. Just go and trust that the spot will happen. And it generally does. It's sad that we don't have the access to the forests that we used to have.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8428998

The one and only time we made a camping reservation was in August about 10 years ago. This was shortly before our son's too-extravagant wedding and we just wanted a break from all the craziness. So, we reserved one of our favorite lake-side camp sites for the weekend. As luck would have it, it was an absolute downpour. We stuck it out in the rain, in our tent - I read a couple good books swaddled in blankets atop a blow-up mattress, with water running all around me. Still good memories, although not what I was hoping for.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2011
12:30 AM

Post #8429704

My family used to go camping, staying in any likely pasture or woods off the road, with our sleeping bags laid out on a canvas tarpaulin. I loved midnight storytyelling while gazing up at the stars.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8431144

You can still do that kind of camping down in Utah on the Bureau of Land Management lands. Miles of lovely dirt roads through the desert with lots of little spots available for tents. It's completely 'primitive', and the stars are incredible.
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

March 16, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8431206

I know certain areas of the Arizona desert like that also. Once, on a a solo bicycle tour I camped alongside a dirt road and a full moon came up. It turned all the desert flora and landscape an erie and beautiful silver color.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8431638

So good to hear there are still spots available on the planet without fees, rules, or rude neighbors. Let's share information but at the same time keep this under our hats...
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8432507

My first memory of camping was in 1948 my family took a car trip back to Indiana to see the relatives. I was nine. All the old highways across the country at that time were amazing. We stopped in the Rockies by a roaring river and had breakfast by a campfire. My mom and dad both drove day and night but we ate meals under some trees by the side of the roads. Grand memories.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 19, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8437001

What a glorious day! Have been enyoying the day in what is left of my rose garden. Lost 4 roses this year. I have that crown gall on some of mine. It seems to weaken the plant and then with the cold temps. in the winter they die. Still have the other half to prune.

I think I will be moving away from roses. Way to many other plants out there that I love. Some of these roses were my dads from when he lived in this house. Funny it seems to be the newer roses that die.
Anybody else get to enjoy the day in the garden?
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

March 20, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8438506

I haven't had a lot of time to read through all the posts so I have some catching up to do. Between listening to the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster news, Libya, and going through orientation for my new job at the jail, I am exhausted. I can hardly wait until I can change to part time after orientation.

It is windy and cold, and has been raining here for days. But things are starting to pop up in the garden! It always amazes me to see how the plants all keep going, year after year. I need to do some serious pruning when the weather is a bit nicer. The last few months I keep fighting off viruses without really getting sick so I'm not going to brave the damp and rain.

Pix, I hope you are not worrying too much about your son. It's hard not to worry! He will have all sorts of adventures, just like we all did when we were that age.

Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8438574

Been up in AK so hard to blog. I too felt the pressure to go camping years ago when I could go anywhere and just pull into sites and camp. Then in the 80's and 90's the Seattle area got too crowded and I moved to kayaking to any beachead and could pitch a tent anywhere in puget sound. There were many state parks that were available only to boats. South sound was full of them. Who knows now? I often camped at the base of high cliffs and only stayed one night to move on to any other site that caught my eye. Canada is nice because no one owns the tidelands and it is open to anyone to pitch a tent. My favorite camping areas were on Vancouver Island and Barkley sound has a road for cars to access right in the heart of the sound. Many islands there to camp in absolutely private (except sea lions) locations. Another good location is on Spada Lake Hwy 2, Darrington Robe and Verlot, Glacier Park wilderness, the eastern side of the Olympics, Toandos pennisula, Deer Park near Squiim, my secret place is where the Trumpeters nest on Skagit flats near LaConner there is a small island out there where you can camp and nobody is there, Strawberry island near Anacortes, Goat Lake near Darrington, going along the west side of Okanogan R is Entiat R, Casland on the Teanaway R, near Lake Wenachee take the Clearwater R and it is better than the mountain scenes of Sound of Music with wildflowers. I could go on and on.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

March 20, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8438929

Sofer, you remind me of one of my favorite quotes -

"When you hitch your wagon to that of a dreamer, you're in for a wild ride."
Dr Seuss
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8439466

I have worn out one wife, scared the next to death, and my current wife is strong to keep out of my adventures. Wild ride, yes. My first wife on the trail along the Clearwater was awakened by a bear outside of our tent while I was doing a hike in a full moon to a Glacier she didn't want to go to so I went alone. She had to sit in the tent shaking while the bear pushed on the sides and door sniffing the contents. Fortunately I returned to scare him off the tent when I ran in his direction. She did not camp anymore with me. My current wife and I were aroused with a Grizzly on our second night camping in Great Bear Wilderness. The Bear made a lot of noise trying to push over the snag I hung the food in. I jumped out of the tent screaming and firing my pistol in the air he/she left running not to bother us anymore that night. She never camped with me again either. Come to think of it nobody does? LOL
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8439480

And you have a question, here, Steve?
BrightStar
Chesapeake, VA

March 20, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8439489

I went camping in a tent at Lake Tahoe last year. In the middle of the night, something came up snuffing against the side of the tent. I was in my sleeping bag - it snuffed at my hair. I froze. I had used the worst-smelling shampoo - not flowery or fruity, just medicinal-smelling. It went on,

I had a couple of pots and pans in the tent to clang together to scare a bear off, but it all happened so fast that I forgot about them. I was asleep, then suddenly something big was leaning against the tent, snuffing my hair.

It went on an "attacked" the bear box, but it couldn't get it open. When it got through making a racket, it left.

I"m not going to sleep in a tent in bear country again.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8439722

On one of our off the side-road camping trips, somewhere in New Mexico, we had gone up into an area of woods and rolling pasture, with a stream running through to spend the night. My family was sleeping in several small 2-person tents. My sister and I shared one of them. In the middle of the night, we were awakened by a snuffling sound and a large animal tripping on the ropes attached to the tent and the stakes. The tent shook, and we shook with it. We grabbed our flashlights, waved them around wildly and yelled at the animal, but it wouldn't go away. Then we heard the sound...
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2011
9:36 PM

Post #8439723

Moooooooooo.

LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8440193

We've had black bear adventures while camping in the Adirondacks in NY. We would hear pots and pans being banged across the lake then move on like a 'wave' at a stadium. That was their signal to go check things out. Once we heard a snuffling sound and our bed was raised as a bear walked under us in our 'pop-out' camper. Lots of times we would see eyes shining in the dark or watch them outsmart the 'bear-proof' garbage bins. Mostly these adventures started after the landfills were closed so the bears spread out looking for food.

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8441625

I have an unreasonable fear of bears. I am totally convinced each and every one of them has one purpose in life - to eat me. My sister has the same irrational fear of earwigs, though, so I don't feel quite as silly. At least my fear has some basis to it.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8441877

I too have a fear of bears. That is why I have scared them off, charging in an adrenalin rush, screaming and making a rapid ruckus to send them shi... blueberries. I have visited the sites of Nite of the Grizzly many times in my living near Glacier. One time hiking in with 2 friends we picked a bunch of griz hair off these strange barbwire collections. As we had our lunch a single hiker stopped to say Hi and we invited him along to lessen his risk in being attacked. Bear sign was everywhere and he said he was a bear specialist and felt comfortable hiking alone. We shrugged our shoulders thinking him stupid because we were near Trout Lake one of the places of the tragedies and finished our lunch. Starting down the trail we found him standing in a muddy spot surrounded by Griz track. He said maybe he would join us. LOL
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8441997

I envy you, Sofer -- I just become paralyzed and stupid. Back in my 20s, while camping in a 2-man tent on Mount Rainier, we had a bear come and rampage our campsite. My husband told me to get my underwear on. I scrambled around, found my jeans, my shirt, my shoes -- all tossed aside because I was totally focused on underwear!!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8442063

I went out one time in our garden just after finishing a new garden bed for my dog that just died. There was a black bear that was rampaging my plantings and eating the bird seed spilled. Jumping out of bed I grabbed my red robe and launched outside to chase off the bear. Not grabbing anything else as I approached the bruin I realized that I had no weapons. So I did as they had taught in bear encounters and made myself as big as I could raising my robe to the top of my arms and loudly telling the bear to blankety blank blank, and he rapidly ran away. I proudly walked into the bedroom where my wife was watching telling her he was afraid of me when he saw that I too was a bruin! She laughed and gave me a hug. I had to go back out and chase him up the driveway this time with my camera. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8442156

And... just seeing those photos terrifies me. I'm hopeless.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 22, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8442741

I have good news about my GD. Just wanted to post it.

Charlize's Updates
Back to updates Newer update | Older update
print friendlyHalfway There!!!
Posted 2 hours ago
We are at our halfway point and things continue to go well! We were admitted again on Sunday morning to prepare Charlize’s TPN delivery to be compressed to a 12 hour time frame, so she is able to receive it opposite of her Chemo throughout this week. This afternoon she was unhooked from her TPN and given a 45 minute brake until she was put on her fluids and prepped for Chemo. We had fun walking around visiting with everyone and getting movies and juice. The Doctors and Nurses have had a great time with her this stay already, as they have had the opportunity to see her as her true self. The past few months she has been so sick, that they have seen a totally different little girl then what we know her to be. She has given them small glimpses here and there, but now that she is feeling better she is cutting loose; giving everybody a good show yesterday as she ran out of her room and danced naked in the doorway.
On Saturday she had the best day she has had in months! She had a blast at the Seattle Science Center in Seattle with her cousins. Charlize did great with keeping her hands clean and listening to mommy. Leia told her prior to going in that she had to ask before touching anything and then had to sanitize after she touched it. Charlize asked every time before touching something and never complained about sanitizing afterward. She was so good and had a great time. She rounded out the night at her cousin’s house playing chase and wrestling.
Sunday morning came too quickly, but you cannot escape the inevitable. Even though she is feeling well, we never look forward to a five day stay. Charlize on the other hand was happy to see everyone. She kept asking to see different nurses, and was being silly with everyone. While she had her break from TPN last night and was unhooked from her tubes, she made several trips out to the nurses’ station making requests for ice chips and movies. Yesterday and today she has continued to eat better; we have had some high calorie juice boxes and a milk shake to help along the process as well.
Today we got her TPN compressed to a 12 hour delivery. She has tolerated the accelerated compression over the past two days, but her liver enzymes are still climbing. We are hoping we will see a drop in those levels by tomorrow, given that she will have two days with only 12 hours of delivery. This will give her liver a break from working around the clock, filtering and dispersing the nutrients continually has put some stress on it. Her least favorite part about the TPN is she gets her finger poked a couple times a day to test her blood sugar. She has maintained normal blood sugar levels through this past week, and she has cut her cry time in half after the finger poke – we are making progress.
This is day one of a pretty heavy cycle of Chemo. She has not vomited yet, and we are praying hard that she will be able to get through this week with as little as possible. Please pray that the chemo will do its full work at killing of the cancer, but that she will not experience the severe side effects that she has experienced in the past. We are really hopeful that we will be able to get through this week without losing the ground we have gained over this past week.
We are halfway there, still pressing on and pressing in!

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8442750

Great news, and I hope her second half goes much easier on her little system.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8444283

Hooray that she has made it this far with her amazing spirit intact!! And I wish you all fortitude to get through the next round.
WeedLady
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8444312

Sofer,you crack me up! Summers in Red River NM as a child,us girls put out bacon to bring the bears up. We were from Ft Worth Texas,no bears here! Scared the folks well! I just know your little Grandbaby will grow up to live a life as full as yours! God Bless!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

March 23, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8444941

Such good news Sofer. Wishing her a smooth round of chemo. I like the story of her dancing naked in the door of her hospital room! Sounds like she might have some of her grandpa's spirit...
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2011

Post #8445005

She is fully like her GP. She also is playfull like me and troublesome. LOL
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8447385

And that what keeps Charlize going, genes from grandpa!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8448351

Well off to Mexico for a little sun and fun. Mazatlan here we come.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 24, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8448399

That looks nice. Have fun!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8448873

Have a great trip. We will enjoy it virtually.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8450585

That is such great news about Charlize! Here's to prayers that this round is easier than the last, and that it will be over and she will be a well little girl. What a time of it she has had, and her parents, too.

I love bears. Now, having said that, I have to say that I've never had my tent attacked by one. But I've loved them since I was young. Weedlady, I was born in Ft. Worth. My parents both graduated from Baylor and used to take me there to see the Baylor Bears. I was trained young to love them.

Update on Andrew: he is having a fine time working hard in a garden! The family he is staying with took him to the ski slopes and he had a professional snowboard lesson. He loved it! (Of course. ) He'll be preparing for the next stage of his trip, which includes about 6 days where he's not sure what he's going to do yet. Ha! I should be so lucky. Portland, I'm not the least bit worried about him. I just miss him terribly.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8450632

He's the man. Mom happy that he's the man! Well done Melissa
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2011

Post #8452482

I bow to you, Steve. Fortunately my husband is a good role model for how to love and revere one's mother without being tied to the proverbial apron strings.
Only my son could pull off going to France and in less than two weeks build a bamboo hut for a bunch of little girls, show them and their father how to make an atlatl out of bamboo and how to throw 'spears' with it, and then have a day shooting a recurve bow at the next place he is staying. I know this doesn't sound very exciting but considering that he spent most of his childhood doing just these things ALL THE TIME, it is hilarious to me that he traveled to France and is still doing the exact same things. If he starts building medieval siege engines in their backyards I will know he has found his place in the world. At least his hosts appreciate his knowledge about these things. Oh, and he was going to have about 6 days or so of 'free travel' time between place number 1 or number 2 and since he didn't have firm plans, his hosts arranged for him to go to some friends of theirs who own a bed and breakfast on the other side of town. They were happy to have someone to help out for a few days, and he has a beautiful room with a balcony, plus access to their hot tub, kitchen, etc. And they raised two boys so the mom 'knows' all about that. HA! He cannot escape!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8453498

Soooooooo excited for Andrew's adventures. Glad to hear everything seems to be going well. Awesome memories he is making.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8457048

Catching up a bit here - I had tried to follow Charlize's progress via those caring pages, but my server kept blocking the updates no matter what. Steve, this is the best news ever.

Melissa, wow! I had no idea what was going on with your son . . . he's quite incredible and I do know how much you are missing him. My kids are your age (or older) and I'm still missing them. Fortunately they're awfully good to me.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8457080

MURMUR, it's soooo good to see you. How have you been? I am coming to the PNW this summer. Possibly getting together at Sharon's place the Saturday after July 4. Would love to see you and anyone else able to come.. Are your Master Gardener classes finished? Did I remember that correctly?
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8457137

Jan, how exciting is that???!!! I sure as heck hope I can make it - at this point, I see no reason why I won't be able to. How long will you be in the PNW? I can't remember - do you have family/friends here?

The MG classes are indeed done - I'm not as active as I had planned on being, but sometimes that just happens, I guess.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8471762

Please be sure to look at our inviation I jsut posted on this forum:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1170095/
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8493982

apropos of nothing, my friend is looking for recommendations for an evergreen vine that grows fairly quickly and will grow well in large planters (very large). She had star jasmine that had survived for many years, but it bit the dust this winter. I thought of evergreen clematis, but does anyone have other suggestions?
Lettuceman
Dayton, WA

April 15, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8498461

I recommend Silver Lace Vine

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8498729

Appropos of nothing, I just orderred some Asian vegetables and greens from Tainong Seeds, if anyone wants to trade or send postage via PayPal.

Taiwan Bok Choy 8-12" 35 days
Green Petiole Ching Chang (O.P.) 6"-7" 40-45 days
Red Amaranth 30-40 days
Dark Green Gailan (O.P.) "Chinese Kale" 50-55 days Good heat tolerance.
Japanese Komatsuna ("Spinach Mustard" or "Mustard Gaichoy")
"Oriental Spinach" HYBRID (ID?) Strong against Mosaic and Downy mildew. Heat tolerant.

- - -

These blurbs are form the vendor, Tainong Seeds, I don't know how accurate they are.
I'm sure #2 and #3 are OP.
#5 is hybrid.
Not sure about 1, 4 and 7, but most of his offerings said "F1 Hybrid".

1. Taiwan Bok Choy
Large, oval, light green leaves with flat, white petioles. Matures in ~35 days after sowing. Harvest 8 ~ 12 inches tall. Very tender, delicious. Often used in soups

2. Special Green Petiole Ching Chang (O.P. variety) 6"-7"
Special Green Petiole is tolerant to high heat. Medium dark green leaves and big, bright green body. Matures in approx. 40~45 days.

3. Dark Green Gailan (O.P.) "Chinese Kale" 50-55 days
Top selling, high yielding O.P. variety. Smooth, dark green leaves with long, thick stems. Excellent uniformity in size and shape. Good tolerance to heat. Very strong against disease. For Spring, Summer, and Fall.

4. Spinach Mustard (Japanese Komatsuna) ? "Mustard Gaichoy & Misc. vegetables" 30 days
Japanese Komatsuna. Very nutritious! High in Calcium and many other vitamins. Very easy to grow. Deep green leaves with tender stems. All season variety tolerant to heat and cold. High tolerance to common diseases.

"Oriental Spinach". Large upright plant with long tender stems. Big, slightly pointed leaves. Dark green color. Strong against Mosaic and Downy mildew. Heat tolerant variety. hybrid

Red Amaranth 30-40 days.
Large, pointed round leaves with red purple center. Grows rapidly and high yielding.
Hot season crop. Growth is best on well drained, light-sandy, and fertile soil.

Corey
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2011

Post #8499011

Thanks, lettuceman, I'll let her know.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8506018

WOOHOO!!! Just got the call Grandybaby #8 was born at 7:35 Texas time. So excited for them. It's their first!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8506143

Congratulations, Jan!!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8506910

Good news indeed Jan. Congratulations!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

April 20, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8508541

Oh a new baby! Congratulations Jan, and also to the new parents. What a nice spring happening!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8509017

Definitely. New life - that's what spring is all about.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8511884

Congrats to you and your extended family. At my husband's youngest brother's wedding, a photo was taken of all the kids (7, less 2 who have passed) and then one of all the siblings + spouses + children + grandchildren. Amazing how that number exploded! I think there were ~40 in that shot.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8513225

It is amazing how families explode!

Looking outside at my oldest son who is mowing our lawn. DH is so thankful that he flew all the way from OR to do that. heehee. It is good to have him here for a few days as we celebrate mom's life and death tomorrow. Have a lot to do today to get ready.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8516258

Thoughts are with you Jan.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8517015

Thank you. It was a wonderful time of family and sharing. My son had the most beautiful eulogy. Everyone wanted a copy. It was very fitting. He had the Beatitudes read and Proverbs 31:10- the Proverbs woman. He said these epitomized my mom. Lots of healing tears shed.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8517309

It sounds like it was a very good service and a wonderful remembrance of your mother. I'm so glad.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

April 24, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8517464

The passion of your mother is carried on with your joy of her life. She has left a legacy of love that is now being shared with your new GS. How wonderful. You are fortunate to have had her!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8517967

Thanks, GHG. Very fortunate indeed, Sofer.

I am truly thankful for all the wonderful friends I have made here on DG. It is a blessing for sure.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8528502

I cleaned up my pot ghetto. DH is happy as it was very visible. Amazed how it opened up an area. Now, I need to clean the pots themselves. I dumped all the dirt into the compost area. There were 3 wheelbarrows full. I'll wait til two grandkidlings go home.

Also, I was motivated by DH starting to put up the kitchen cabinets that we had stored in a neighbor's garage. DH started making them 2 summers ago. Perfection takes a long time. They look nice. He still needs to plumb the island and run electric to it.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8528774

That's exciting, to have the prospect of new cabinets! It's going to make a big difference in the look of your kitchen and in how you use it, I'll bet.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

April 29, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8529106

Best way to get a divorce = Remodel kitchen.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8530200

Or build a house.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8530390

We've managed all of those, but another real challenge to a marriage is to try paddle a canoe or kayak together. That really points up any deficits in communication skills!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8530544

LOL, GHG. I can't keep up with him in that department. 100 mile trips in 4-5 days. No way. I want to paddle and rest and look at the shoreline and any plants or animals along the way.

I figure I have stood alongside for almost 38 years that any problems can be worked out. He got some upper cabinets put in with the help of DS who lives around the corner. However, there is a gap about a FOOT wide between the last cabinet and the wall. Not what I pictured or drew in my idea picture. I know that I don't draw well, but I really tried to explain my vision. Apparently I failed. He doesn't think it looks tacky, BUT, when you have an idea in your head for YEARS and it doesn't look like your image then it is a BIG deal for me. :( He will be cutting a piece to fit there that won't do anything. But it will fill in the space and then I can do my idea below it. :))))
It's really not a big deal, but when we try to sell in the future, I know the woman would notice this H U G E gap right away and it would be a deal breaker. I don't think I'm asking too much. heehee

Turned into a beautiful day!!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8530683

You're not asking too much at all! I know your DH does fine woodwork, so I'm suprised that HE is satisfied with a big gap like that. Sounds like he didn't measure twice and cut once, huh?

I did some transplanting of chard, a bunch of weeding with a hoe, and mulched the two Fortex bean rows. Then I weeded the raspberries and pulled the salt hay up to cover the bare earth around the stalks. It's nice out but cool. I put my peppers and tomatoes back into the greenhouse and DH will turn the heat on and close it up when he's finished trying to fix the tractor.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8530767

Jan, that gap sounds like the perfect place for a platter or baking sheet cupboard. I have a couple of those I don't know how I would do without! Or storage for extra oven racks, etc. Or portable breadboards...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8531558

One-foot-wide shelves? Spice racks? Hanging knife racks? Broom storage?

I went out today to plant some Asian vegetable seeds. First the soil needed to be turned and raked, then another bed needed to be weeded with a hoe, then turned and raked. That one needs compost badly.

Since i'm in the middle of a cold, my SO convinced me that taking it easy and stopping before getting anything sowed was better.

I'm also trying to decide if it's warm enough to plant out zinnia & Cosmo & snapdragon seedlings that I started inside. Maybe under plastic cloches, since they haven't been hardened off yet. (I'm trying to decide whether I need to "pot up" some 72-cells before putting them outside.) Almost certainly, I should harden them for a few days in the 6-packs before putting them into soil. We still had nights that went down to 38 or 40 last week.

Corey
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 1, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8531925

Spent the day yesterday weeding. Actually, it took a very long time because when I was working in the front yard neighbors kept stopping by for a chat. Everyone was out enjoying the dry weather. Maybe I will be able to finish today and be able to move to the back garden.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8532460

LOL, GHG, he actually did measure twice and cut once. He planned it that way. He just didn't see 'my' vision of that space. It will be modified so it will blend in with 'my' vision. He really does do great work.

Good ideas everyone.

We've had some pretty chilly nights also. Hope you feel better, today, Rick.

So nice that neighbors stop to chat when you're out front, Portland. Maybe you could point them to an area they could help weed and then you all could enjoy the front porch. That sounds like a plan to me.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 1, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8532592

I'm trying to train my dog to hunt snails and slugs.

How about a wall sconce to light up that corner?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8533342

The plan or 'my' vision was to have a built-in reading nook. There are lights already planned for underneath the cabinet. These are high cabinets - up to the ceiling. Above frig height - to the ceiling.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8533794

That's hard to picture! Photos or sketches, please?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2011
6:37 AM

Post #8534074

Sorry, no pics. Just picture a daybed situated under a bank of wall-mounted cabinets that reach from just above frig height to the ceiling. The daybed is against the side and back wall. Now picture the bank of cabinets with a foot-wide gap by the side wall above the bed. Aesthitically it isn't pleasing to me. So, either a fake cabinet front or a trailing plant would work to fill in that gap. There is a big window on the side wall there that overlooks one garden, so I plan to spend a lot of time in that reading nook area. I have an old mirror that will fit in that area above the nook to reflect the light from the window.

A lot of mixed emotions today. Glad for closure, but saddened by the rejoicing. This isn't the place for political items, but just sharing my feelings.
Proverbs 24:17

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8534078

I think the rejoicing is very natural, Jan, although it's sad to be happy that anyone is dead. I know what you mean.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8534323

"I've never wished a man dead, but have read many an obituary with pleasure." Mark Twain.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8534736

Thanks, Jan. Yes, feeling better today.

Sunday was also warm, dry and sunny (!)

So I wnet back out and got 7 kinds of Asian veegetables sown and covered with screened sandy soil and a little fine bark mulch. Today, Moday, the sky cooperated by sending a light rian my way.

I got plenty tired and was all ready to go in and sit down, when the DSO came home from spending a coupon on some Pansies from Lowes. They were VERY root-bound, so I got them into the ground, and now they are bein g gently rained upon.

Something about the sun and soil seems to be good for a cold, despite getting tired, sweaty and chilled.

Or maybe it was the thrill of FINALLY seeing a few very tiny Penstemon seedlings emerge from some WS pots in tubs after I gave up all hope!

Corey
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 2, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8534811

Ditto for all of the coments. This is the first "kill" I have enjoyed. How does that compute with my heart being "like Christ", mixed emotions last night and today. Don't know about heaven and hell but how to get there. Hope I can understand the heart of Bin Laden.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8535994

I agree with Mr. Twain, but also it just makes me sad no end to see people rejoicing over this kind of thing. There's no place for rejoicing here in my opinion. It brings to mind the photos of people dancing in the streets celebrating the 'success' of the terrorist attacks that brought down the towers in New York. Hate is hate, regardless of where it's grown.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 2, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8536001

As a Buddhist, I try to live by the idea that a god or any outside power/being/force is not the way to happiness and peace, but your own thoughts and actions are the way to achieve that state. I try every day to think about the Eightfold Path. So for me, I sometimes try to stay inside my head, and let the world go by as it will.

I'm trying to decide what vegetables/fruit to plant this year. Strawberries, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, and some herbs. The rhubarb I planted last year is growing like mad. And so are the weeds.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8536111

I don't think rejoicing at the death of someone always means you hate him.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
3:04 AM

Post #8536191

We just planted some Mara des bois strawberries; I had heard about how good they were and then serendipitously got to try some when we were in France last fall, and they were indeed luscious. I hope the homegrown ones are as tasty. We're also growing Cabot, which sounded sweet.

My peppers, eggplants and tomatoes are up in flats in the greenhouse. What are you going to do with your rhubarb? We have some but I never use it.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8536650

GG, I have a recipe for rhubarb pie, probably from my grandmother, that is a bit custardy (egg yolks and sugar) with a merangue topping that is always a hit in my family. That is about all I do with it, too, but my mother always made a breakfast sauce out of it by heating it with sugar ( no water as it is watery enough.) Pretty good stuff on the tart side.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8536683

I make a rhubarb cobbler, always the first fresh fruity thing in spring. Here's my mom's recipe:

Heat 4 C sliced rhubarb with 1 C sugar until softened, put in 9x13 pan.

Cover with cobbler topping: 3/4 C butter, 1 C sugar, 2 C flour, 1/2 t soda, 1 C coconut, 1/2 C walnuts.

Bake 20-25 minutes at 350. Let cool to lukewarm and serve with ice cream. Yum.

My mom also served rhubarb sauce with dinner (as Sharon says, just heat with sugar to taste until soft and broken down). Good with pork or chicken. Or serve it warm over ice cream. Never thought to serve it for breakfast, it would likely be good on pancakes.

Gary made a batch of wine with it one year, which was quite tasty. No clue what his recipe was (and he likely doesn't either). I believe we called it "Misty Rhubarb" because it didn't get as clear as he would have liked.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 3, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8536706

I make rhubarb pie, and also a sauce with fresh apricots that takes about 3 minutes to make and is delicious with chicken, pork, turkey, pound cake, ice-cream, pancakes, etc.

Sharon, I would love your rhubarb pie recipe! Bonehead's cobbler sounds good as well. Do you ever make "hard sauce" to go with the cobbler? It's just powdered sugar, butter, and a touch of a liquor such as Cointreau. Not sure of the spelling of that. It's mixed all together to form a mixture with the consistency of, maybe, a bit stiffer than toothpaste. It's a nice counterpoint to the tartness of the rhubarb. I'm going to try Bonehead's cobbler recipe but I have to substitute gluten free flour.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8536856

Mmmm, adding apricots sounds delicious, I'll have to give that a try.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 3, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8536985

Just stick halved and pitted fresh apricots in a pan with a splash of water, sugar to taste, and a dash of vanilla. Simmer until desired softness. If you want it to look fancy, it can be blended to make a smooth sauce. It will have a beautiful color.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 3, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8536989

‎"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." Martin Luther King Jr
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 3, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8537034

Hello Katie! goood to see you again.
Rhubarb sauce (with Splenda) is what I make and freeze it. Then I can make pie, cobbler and anything I want by just scooping out the sauce. I love it with coffee in the morning on toast, on vanilla Ice cream, on top of tapioca pudding, on any fresh fruit, in yogurt, etc.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 3, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8537324

Anyone have a recipe for rhubarb vodka martinis?
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8537577

I make strawberry rhubarb pie. It is a favorite in my house. Just make it like any fruit pie. Halve the strawberries and cut the rhubarb into 1 or 1and1/2" pieces.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8537605

Not an MLK junior quote, as I understand it . . .
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8538065

Sharon's version of rhubarb pie:

3 egg yolks 3 c finely cut rhubarb
1 1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tbsp melted butter

Mix eggs and sugar. Add flour and butter, then 3 c finely cut rhubarb.
I let this sit and "meld" while I make a pie crust.

Put rhubarb mix into unbaked pie shell.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

For meringue topping:

Beat the three egg whites until stiff. Add 4 1/2 tbsp sugar, slowly, beating it into the stiff egg whites. When pie comes out of the oven, top with the meringue and brown at 400.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8538070

Judi, I would love the exact procedure for your hard sauce. It seems to be a really hard one to come by. It is also quite good on pound cake or such.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8538110

Deb, your cobbler recipe reminded me of the other recipe I use regularly for rhubarb, which is a lot quicker and easier than the pie: (I also do this regularly with blackberries)

Creeping Crust Cobbler

1/2 c butter
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c milk

2 c fruit and 1 c sugar, heated.

melt butter in a 10" baking dish

Mix flour, sugar and baking powder. Add milk and mix together.

Spoon over melted butter, then pour heated fruit over dough.
Bake at 350 for 30 min.

Crust will rise to the top and be golden brown. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8538164

On those "creeping crust" recipes the crust always stays firmly on the bottom of the dish for me! I gave up on them...
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8538194

GG, I think one of the secrets is that you need to use a lot more of the liquid from the heated fruit than you would think should be reasonable. I have had a few that were too dry because of that.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8538248

Agent 59, good sleuthing! Apparently all but the first line is a MLK quote but the first line belongs to someone else. In any event, it reflects my thoughts.

Yum, keep up the rhubarb recipes. We should continue this as other fruit/veggies ripen.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2011
11:05 PM

Post #8538609

It has been a topic online everywhere for the last couple of days - people seem to be in the rejoice camp or the no-rejoice camp ad this is at the center. What you heard is what I heard. And MLK did "borrow" things from others once in awhile . . .
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8538952

Portland, I was intrigued with your request for a rhubarb martini and looked online. Of the several I found, this one sounds most promising:

Simmer 3 C rhubarb in 1 C water for an hour. Strain and add sugar to taste, about 3 T per 6 oz juice (which is what you can expect).

For the martini: 1 oz fresh lime juice, 6 oz rhubarb juice, 6 oz Grey Goose

This only makes 2 drinks and takes a bit of time, although one could double the fruit step. The other recipes all sounded too sweet for my taste. I may give this a whirl this weekend and if so will report back.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 4, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8539030

Aha Bonehead! I was half joking about the martini, but now I must have it. My daughter and her husband, plus his parents, are all coming over for Mothers' Day. The kids are bringing the food, so my contribution may be the martinis - to get the party going!

Whoever the quote is from, or parts of it, I like the sentiment. The images on TV of shouting people with their fists in the air is, to me, unsettling.

Sun is pouring through the windows. Yes!
Azorina
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8539182

Rejoicing in the death of anyone is a sad statement for our species.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 4, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8539185

Bonehead you have D-mail. Date change
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8540122

Worked in the yard today, with Ruth, 9:30 to 4:00. Wow, nice out there.
Trilliums. Nine stalks this year.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8540126

Tulips and laceleaf maple

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8540129

Pretty, bright daffs

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8540137

More daffs

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8540141

Trout lily or that other word I can't spell without looking it up.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8540147

Another pot of tulips

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8540150

anemones. Love these

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8540154

I think this spot is so pretty. Those are spent snowdrop floliage, but there is a huge hosta under there that will soon cover that up for the summer.

This message was edited May 4, 2011 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8540994

Loverly, WW!!!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8541181

It is a gorgeous spot! Love the bleeding heart against the brick.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 5, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8541292

Pretty pretty pretty! I like how that spot will evolve with the hosta hiding under there.

Yesterday I planted strawberries and two grafted tomato plants. I need to get mulch for the berries - is bark the best? I read that the roots need cool soil to produce fruit, so it's not good to use something black. I don't want to use straw since most comes from wheat and that might have some implication if one cannot have gluten. I also planted a Jack Frost under a tree that I had limbed up a few weeks ago. There are also a few hostas under there, if I remember correctly!

Yesterday was so warm and sunny, but the light rain today feels good.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 5, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8542801

Wonderful Willow. We are a month and a half behind. Hope it warm up like you have in Puget sound. Love the picts!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8543700

I figured out how to download photos from the old camera. Apparently I don't even need a cord with this new computer! I just put in the memory chip and it reads the darned thing. Who knew? I had upwards of 150 photos on that thing. No worries, I will not post them all.

Thanks, Easter Bunny!

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8543703

View from the front path.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8543707

View from the other direction showing the new path. I am LOVING the play chips as a path material.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8543711

Love the color of this Lewisia.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8543715

An unknown Hellebore. I think I got this one from Heidi and it was unmarked.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8543726

One more.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 6, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8543923

Beautiful Pix - I love your paths!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8543940

Your garden is incredible.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8544747

Thanks, guys! Did anyone lose hydrangeas this year? I have at least 6 hydrangeas that, while not dead, are having to come back from the roots. The bark is split on several of them, likely from the early deep freeze in November. Anyone else have this level of damage to theirs?

I call this one 'Plant Porn'. And that's all I'm going to say about it. (Except that it's an ornamental rhubarb.)

Thumbnail by Pixydish

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 6, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8544754

Oh my Oh my!!!!
Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 6, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8544851

Ha ha - too appropriate, because I for sure have been lusting after that particular bit of plant porn :)
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8545050

Grew this from seed (no pun intended...) a couple of years ago. I hope it's not monocarpic. I'd hate for this to be its last year. If it sets seed, you are welcome to some.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8545713

Hahahahahaha. I've never seen this before.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 7, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8546080

Just don't turn your back on that thing.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8547006

Many of my hydrangeas are coming back from the roots. But others of the same type in the same location are not. Go figure. I have a friend on Sammamish who thinks she lost her established Ayesha, but I suspect a similar thing is happening with her.

I have two mature Nikko Blue macrophyllas right next to eachother at the front of the house in a relatively protected spot. O.ne leafed out a full month earlier than the other showed any signs of life at all. The second is now leafing out (not coming out from the roots). I have no idea why
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2011
11:27 PM

Post #8547057

Hope springs eternal, then. I hope some of mine decide it's okay to leaf out.
That rhubarb grows inches per day! It's about 6 feet tall now.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 8, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8547479

My two hydrangeas look great, but my rhubarb that I planted last year is looking so-so. It is alive but not growing very quickly.

This is the first time I have lived in an area that has defined seasons. San Francisco has seasons, but less markedly, and coolness pervades throughout the year. I am flabbergasted by the way the garden can go from winter bare to coming alive in the spring. It's a beautiful thing, and I can sit in my garden for hours, just looking around.

I hope everyone has an exceptional Mothers' Day!
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 8, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8548547

Some of my favorites. Cherry Trees in their full glory! My neighbors hate these trees. Blossoms and leaves Oh my. They are neet freaks! I'm not!

Thumbnail by springcolor

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 8, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8548559

Yellow Rhododendron and my holding house for annuals. Never had to do that before.

Thumbnail by springcolor

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 8, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8548574

Last of the daffodils. Promise of clematis, daylilies and phlox. If that was Eremurus foliage one of those too.

Thumbnail by springcolor

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8548744

They hate cherry trees? What is wrong with those people? Love the yellow rhody. Mine are just beginning to bud out. That border is looking beautiful!
Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 8, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8548917

Back home from a quick trip to Oregon for Mother's Day. The dog behaved and I came home with three flats of plants - a good weekend!

Here's a picture of the bank out front that I'm working on - pulled out two overgrown trees last year and am working on removing all the grass :)

Thumbnail by Kymmco

Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 8, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8548919

Tahiti daffodil with euphorbia, clary sage, and aubretia.

Has anyone here grown clary sage from seed? I planted it last year and it's a biennial, so this is when it is going to do its thing. But I saw something on line over the weekend that says it is invasive and a noxious weed. Is that right? Should I pull it before it blooms?

Thumbnail by Kymmco

katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8549982

I've not ever heard mention of it being invasive. It's surely beautiful!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8550110

My theory is that nothing is invasive per se. I often read dire warnings about something, and ask the local Master Gardeners who have so far always said "No, not here, anyway".

I think that we tend to forget how much climate varies from spot to spot, even within one hardiness zone. As Shaw pointed out, we think that the customs of our tribe and island are laws of nature.

A species is invasive only where its needs are met. For example, something that needs moist soil year-round ought not be invasive where there's a long, dry summer. (Unless it's seeds get into a creek.)

Something killed by frost might or not be invasive in, say, Zone 6, depending on how vigorously it re-seeds and how long the seeds survive in the ground.

Anything that can't stand being rained on a lot, 8-9 months per year, is NOT invasive in the PNW!

Corey

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8550114

We have a real problem with purple loosestrife here, and we also have parrotfeather invading the freshwater streams. Unfortunately both are very happy here...
Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 9, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8550127

Oh I agree Corey - I definitely take invasive warnings with a grain of salt. But this one is specifically listed as invasive in Washington state. Annie's Annuals site says they cannot ship the plants to Washington. But what I cannot tell from surfing around so far is if the variety of seeds I have, Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica, is supposed to be controlled along with the species.

I guess unless I see something that clearly says otherwise, I'm going to assume not and let it happily reseed and do it's thing alongside Rose Campion and Jupiter's Beard and the other reseeders/invasives I welcome in my garden :)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8550581

I think for sure that "you keeping an eye on it" for a few years will tell you how invasive it is in your neighborhood.

>> But this one is specifically listed as invasive in Washington state

Eastern or Western?
Dry high desert with severe hot/cold swings?
Temperate Mediteranian coastal bog?
Gravelly mountain streams?
Under forest cover?

I'm kidding, just making the point that "a state" has many wildly different climates.

There's a tiny National Park on Cape Cod, at the Marconi site, where a very short walk takes you through seven very different microclimates. The plant life changes 100% every few tens of yards. I'm sure there are plenty of species invasive in any one of those zones ... that won't grow at all 50 yards away.

Corey
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 10, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8551945

Apparently birds have delivered blackberry seeds to my garden - I have dug out 3 this week. Birds can carry seeds for long distances!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2011
8:03 AM

Post #8552004

Those blackberries are very persistent, and tough. I do love the berries though so I let them colonize here and there. They are also pretty in the fall.
Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 10, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8552292

Last night when I got home from work, I parked the car on the street and noticed that a purple euphorbia planted in my sidewalk strip was shaking and quivering even though the day was quite still. This euphorbia is only about 18" or so high - and is actually the same one in the picture upthread with the daffodils and clary sage - but when I looked closer there were four small chickadee size birds stuffed into the plant hopping about on the stems and enthusiastically pecking at the bracts. I sat and watched them for several minutes, and it was so cute, as if the euphorbia was a chickadee sized tree planted just for them.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 14, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8563029

Propagation question?
Do sedums return from a rooted cutting the next year? What experience do you have?

The reason for this question is I had the opportunity to visit Skagit Gardens ( the big whole sale place in Mt. Vernon) anyway the tour guide was telling us about sedums. She said that if you don't catch them at the right time all they will do is send up a single flower then die. They will not return the next spring.

Needless to say I have taken cuttings and given them away many times. However I have never kept the cuttings. I had some sedum cuttings at Lynn's house so I was wondering if those of you that planted those out did they return this year.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2011
11:21 PM

Post #8563462

Different sedums are different, I suppose. But many of those I have are 'cuttings' or pieces that have rooted and gone on to become full-fledged plants. I haven't ever heard this before. I'm sure that's how nurseries propagate and sell them . . .
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8566918

Julia, I was the lucky recipient of some of your sedum cuttings and I know at least some are doing just fine. I did put them out in the new flower bed last year, and haven't had time yet this spring to do much investigating of how things are doing yet. It seems that when the weather is at all cooperative, I have to get right to tasks rather than taking time to walk around the see how things are doing. I will make it a point to look this week and perhaps send a picture or two.

I am wondering if the guide was referring to the century plant types or perhaps the hen and chicks group which do seem to die out in the center once they have bloomed?????? I know I have been less tahn successful with some of the latter when they look so big and wonderful when I take them home, but fail to flourish.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8567922

Julia, just did a quick trip in the front yard. I believe Butterfly Pea and Cloud Walker are both from you. Needless to say, they haven't grown much yet but are definitely still alive and in decent shape. Do you THINK it might have been too wet for them lately??????????
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 16, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8568036

Sharon,
Thanks for looking. Hope you didn't get soaked. It is raining here like the hose is on full.
She was pointing to some that I have Matrona (sp) and I think Postmans pride. The tall ones. I'm going to keep a few cuttings this year and see. I wonder if they just tell you that so you don't try to propagate. Oh shame on me.

I think that Butterfly Pea was an annual vine. I had complete failure with that and reused the tag. Bet the real name is on the other side.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8568313

I will have to look "on the other side" !!!!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8570200

Julia, looked on the other side of the tag and it read only "Heb Gray" I did also find another, Frosty Morn.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 17, 2011

Post #8570433

Those are the sedum names. They are coming back this year then. Good. That would disprove the statement then from the tour.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8578710

Look what we found this morning. Their nest is right outside the front window. It is the coolest thing to see. We can see 2 beaks, so that must be the parents. A few minutes after taking this picture, their tails were up in the air.

Springcolor, the lilies are coming up in spite of their late planting and the dog digging them up. I will post a picture later. Thank you so much for coming down to help me. You don't know how much I appreciate what you did. My back surgery is finally healing, and the Park is getting under control better, so I am finally getting to do a little weeding. I am still waiting for the 2nd back surgery to be scheduled. I better weed while I can!

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8579022

AWESOME Lynn! How exciting to watch. I'd never get anything done.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

May 22, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8579415

Lynn
Love the nest! So it was the dog and not critters? I was wondering what happen to you. Not many posts from you. Happy that you are now getting out a bit. Take care!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8579520

Beautiful little nest. I would think those were the babies. A gal posted hummers a few years ago. Pictures of the whole process and the babies always either had their tails or heads sticking out

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8582991

Some birds once found a way to get past the screening in our attic, and put a nest in a vent.

Those chicks were LOUD! You could hear "CHEEP CHEEP" all through the house.

It was like a Garty Larseon Far Side cartoon, where you look for the little tiny babies, and then discover that they're 30-40 feet tall.

Corey
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8584363

Nice birdies! I sit often when discovering a bird home. Though I usually put on headphones to take the noise away. LOL.
Lynn is like me she is resting when near a computer and is planning a new project in her heart. Hello all of my friends.
Just wanted to show my finished rock wall, of last years project, now completed.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8584597

Perfect!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8584691

That's a wow Steve!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8584871

Fabulous, Steve! Just wonderful! You are such a creative person.

Yesterday we saw a flock of western tanagers feeding in the trees down at the marina. What a sight!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 24, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8584926

LOL - Pix I read your post very quickly and at first I thought it said "western teenagers"
Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 24, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8585136

Hah! Me too! I'm still pondering what a flock of western teenagers would look like feeding in trees...
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8585364

Sofer, great wall - the moss looks like pools of water sitting in the rocks. Very nice.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011

Post #8587421

Nice wall, Sofer. Looks like a whole flock of western teenagers could rest there.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8587629

You can tell the 'western teenager' by the number of tattoos and piercings. They fly in flocks. Generally friendly if allowed to skateboard freely.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 26, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8588202

They feed on pizza and burgers, and have wires hanging from their ears. They smile back if you smile first. They are the most interesting species on the planet.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8588333

Indeed! Lol! And generally enormously creative.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 26, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8589923

Just think how our elders saw us in tight blue jeans, bell bottom with low cut shirts, hip hugger pants, tie dyed shirts, rolling joints and listening to "Inagadadavida" cranking at 300 decibles on a little am portable radio. This all in a group of laughing, back-slapping, skipping, dancing, most noisy WESTERN TEENAGERS! The flock has been around a long time! LOL
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

May 30, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8597534

Quick rush outside today, to do things in the garden before it starts raining again...at least when you plant something you don't have to water it.

When I was a teenager my hair was down to my you-know-what, and and my jeans were all faded and I wore them with a brown leather belt that I absolutely loved. I wonder whatever happened to that belt. In college I had a pair of Jesus sandals - sorry I hope that is not offensive but that's what they were called. I still have those in my closet, just for memory's sake.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8603994

I can relate to the 'Inagadadavida' (baby) at full blast. I think my parents feared that song. Then there was the Beatles song 'let it be', with its refererence to Mother Mary (GASP!) as well as another Beatles song, the name of which esapes me, that referenced an Eastern Religion. Considering I always questioned authority of any kind, and read books on metaphysics even back then, my parents were probably afraid for my immortal soul. Thankfully my mother has progressed by then.
But I can do your Jesus sandals justice, Portland, as my parents were pretty sure that I married Jesus. Not only did they think my husband looked like Jesus, they also thought he walked on water. Maybe he can. I've never asked him to try. I look at this photo and still see those hands, those eyes, ... sigh. He's still got it.

Apropos of nothing, anyone have ideas about repelling rabbits? I don't think I can chicken wire my entire yard. I will be minus some lilies, asters, and ornamental grasses this year unless I can repel them.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8604174

Yes we Anglo's can see jesus but the real Jesus would probably not have red hair. LOL Mary Magdaline on the right is quite the BABE!
Rabbits don't live anywhere near me because I have a JRT and a rabbit eating cat. Have jesus urinate on your perimeters. 3 beers with a bbq would work pretty well every month.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

June 2, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8604506

I read on the daylily forum that Irish Spring soap works. Hang bars of the stuff in your yard. Never had rabbits so you might give it a try.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8604652

Well I truly blush!
I have one old Aussie who is suffering from dementia now, and one who would for sure chase that rabbit. He's not outside all the time, though, so I cannot count on him. I don't know about the cat.
So, Jesus pee and Irish spring soap. Irish spring repels me, so maybe the rabbits will hate it, too. I can never smell that soap without being reminded of my freshman year in college. My room mate used it and the entire room smelled like it.
I will check with the man about spraying the perimeter. Now, my son would whoop with joy that I had just given him permission to use the 'facilities' outside in the yard rather than insisting on the womanly values of indoor toilets.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8604653

Well I truly blush!
I have one old Aussie who is suffering from dementia now, and one who would for sure chase that rabbit. He's not outside all the time, though, so I cannot count on him. I don't know about the cat.
So, Jesus pee and Irish spring soap. Irish spring repels me, so maybe the rabbits will hate it, too. I can never smell that soap without being reminded of my freshman year in college. My room mate used it and the entire room smelled like it.
I will check with the man about spraying the perimeter. Now, my son would whoop with joy that I had just given him permission to use the 'facilities' outside in the yard rather than insisting on the womanly values of indoor toilets.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

June 2, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8605048

Well, you two were very cute. Jesus indeed. And so nice that you thing he's "still got it" after all these years.

I am very sad today. My cat that I've had for 18 years is in heart failure and in the process of dying. He's had a wonderful life and is old, but I'm not ready for him to go quite yet. He was a "found" cat, discovered by my young daughter, when he was a tiny kitten lying in the gutter. He was covered with fleas, and hence named Flea by the kids. It's difficult to watch his labored breathing and he won't eat or drink. But he still purrs and spent the better part of the day lying in my lap. He is comfortable for now.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8605187

VALUES OF INDOOR pluming? Why would anyone find that an opportunity. Ask a wolf, bear, deer, rabbit, or even man if there is any value in indoor plumbing. The thought is an oxymoron.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8605269

Oh, Portland, I'm sorry to hear it. I know it's a comfort to her to have you right there with her. It's just so hard to bear losing pets.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8605273

Judi, sorry to hear about your companion and hope his passing is peaceful.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

June 2, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8605339

Very hard to lose a friend. 18 years is a long time.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8605989

(((((HUGS)))))) dear friend! Long time of comfort and friendship.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

June 3, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8606099

Judi we posted over each other. I am happy for your friend to have you to be there for the end. I am sure that animals need that more than people. I have held the hand of many pets on their last hour and they instantly became my friend.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8606641

Sorry to hear about your kitty-kat. That's the best when they have a long and lovely life. My Shadow is working on her 18 year also.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8607376

I am thinking of you and Flea tonight. Peace to all of you.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8622810

I'll be taking my computer into the new house in Bremerton this weekend so don't know when I will be back online. Will post some pictures of the new 'little' house. We will be living both places until the house is sold. Three days in Bremerton and four days in Union.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8643516

Found one of my Koi in my croc just now. He hopped out of the holding tank that I will use this week when I move to my new house. Funniest thing I have seen in a long time. I think he will be ok even though he looked very dazed and confused at first. He is swimming nicely now. :)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8656710

Good luck with your move. I do think you should take some of your frogs too.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8662970

Just a note to let you know that I checked in with Pony on facebook to see if she might be able to join us for Jan23's luncheon. Unfortunately she has a family wedding that weekend.

On another note, her membership in DG has once again expired so she can no longer participate in our forum. Bummer.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8676773

Meet the new neigbors!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8676775

This Momma had five babies out for an early morning stroll. Sure are cute but glad they kept on moving...

Thumbnail by BeaHive

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8676780

The view from my bedroom window. This young deer was about 10 feet away. Awesome...just hope they will stay on that side of the fence as landscaping & pond excavating begins today.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8676784

Bobcat sighting this morning! :)

Thumbnail by BeaHive

PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8678297

Some variety of wildlife, Bea! I can see some real challenges coming up in your future. Keep us posted on the yard projects.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8678421

Yes the wildlife will be a challange.But I am really enjoying it now. Deer fencing is forseen in my future for sure. Sheds to be put up tomorrow and I can move all the garden stuff & extra household items out of the garage and get unpacked. Hate living out of boxes. :(
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8683662

Here's an interesting plant:

http://www.kuriositas.com/2010/10/dont-stand-under-cannonball-tree.html
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8695904

Magnificent! I love the flowers. The whole effect is cool. I'd like to see one in 'person'.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8696609

Cherry picking time...oops he/she forgot the bucket

Here is a link to my pond and landscaping project if you are interested in what Is keeping me busy these days.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1195050/

Thumbnail by BeaHive

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

July 16, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8696957

Wow what a project!! Going to be fantastic!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8697089

That's an incredible project, BeaHive! I can't wait to see it when it's all finished!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8707721

The pond was filled today and the koi can begin to enjoy it saturday. Tomorrow I will begin some of the plantings around the pond. Very excited to be able to work in the garden again. Yeah!

View from the top of the stream looking down.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8707727

Deck view.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8707804

I got a new garden hose reel. Isn't he cute?

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips

Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 27, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8719082

I just listed some garden picts in Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1676087760970.67313.1800766774&type=1Facebook here.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8719660

Steve, your garden is just magnificent! Thanks for sharing it! It's obviously a labor of love and that shows abundantly.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8719906

Wow Steve your garden is wonderful and magical!! Love it!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 27, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8719983

Well I finally have started my Lawn Mosaic. I am making a tree out of rock buried in my lawn. Here is the start up

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8720264

Steve, you're an artist. It looks just glorious. And I notice Karen is 'sharing' more of your garden space!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2011
11:20 PM

Post #8720266

Apropos of nothing, my son is coming home on Friday after 4 months traveling in Europe. I will be so very glad to see him and hear all his stories.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8720395

Pixydish, I hope he kept in touch to ease your mind! I'm sure he had a great time, too!
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

July 28, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8721313

YA! I bet you have missed him. Enjoy the return.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2011
11:18 PM

Post #8722366

Is he bringing a hairy legged Dane girlfriend? LOL
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8722832

I took the liberty of starting a new thread in Pony's absence:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1201904/
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8744081

Pixy, I bet you are immersed in hearing your son's tales of adventure from his travels. Congratulations on a happy homecoming! We 'd love to hear some travel stories sometime.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America